Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Nope, nada, not a chance. Food advice strictly forbidden. If in doubt, chuck it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It can last up to, but from my own experience, it rarely lasts that long unfortunately.

I ran some shelf life tests from supermarket products at work and poultry was barely edible on the Use by date in many cases, definitely didn't look attractive. We didnt do bio testing, though, just visual.

And most products are given 8-12 days on production. The storage and breaks in cold chain must be taken into account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Darc19, please read the forum charter. Food safety advice is not permitted in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have to say the Black Angus steaks are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I recommend their organic Coffee Fairtrade (ground with Arabica) and their Chocolate organic Fairtrade (dark 72%)

EDIT : Deleted the brand names as they are not the same in every Country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Darc19 wrote: »
    Nope, nada, not a chance. Food advice strictly forbidden. If in doubt, chuck it out!

Can someone, please, explain to me how, "If in doubt, chuck it out" isn't food safety advice???

There's no food safety advice allowed , but I'm just going to tell you to throw away food despite not knowing anything about it. Surely the ban on food advice should go both ways?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can someone, please, explain to me how, "If in doubt, chuck it out" isn't food safety advice???

There's no food safety advice allowed , but I'm just going to tell you to throw away food despite not knowing anything about it. Surely the ban on food advice should go both ways?

We can’t smell, taste or feel it so we know nothing of the condition of the food, just what the user has described, which could be wrong anyway.

Boards may be exposed to possible litigation from a reader if they read here something that may make them ill. It’s a preventative measure and something you’re just going to have to accept.

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Space Dog wrote: »
    Oh and I have an anti-recommendation: Aldi's ready-to-eat mash. The texture is claggy and it doesn't taste nice at all. Of course you can't beat home made mash, but the Marks and Spencer mash is actually quite nice, miles ahead of the Aldi one.

I buy it quite a lot as it's a good time saver. Home made mash might be easier but takes a hell of a lot longer.

About the Aldi mash itself, I find it varies in texture. A lot of the time it's smooth and moist and really nice. Somethings it's hard and lacking moisture and not very nice as a result.

We find the champ mash is more consistent and actually tastier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I quite like the chips from the veg aisle. We cook them in the airfryer. They stay rather pale, but appearances deceive. They get nice and crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Yum!

They need to be dried thoroughly and I toss them with a tablespoon of oil and seasoning before frying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Mod note: Darc19, please read the forum charter. Food safety advice is not permitted in this forum.

Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone tried the tomato and mascarpone pasta sauce? Comes in a small jar and it is absolutely beautiful, there is also a tomato and red pepper one which is just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anyone tried the tomato and mascarpone pasta sauce? Comes in a small jar and it is absolutely beautiful, there is also a tomato and red pepper one which is just as good.

It's great, I always have a jar at home as a standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,025 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yep, I raved about that a while back. Always have a jar in my cupboard just in case. Crumble a bit of crispy bacon into it for extra oomph!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yep, I raved about that a while back. Always have a jar in my cupboard just in case. Crumble a bit of crispy bacon into it for extra oomph!

I usually add a bit of chorizo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The mint honeycomb ice-cream is lovely.

We can’t smell, taste or feel it so we know nothing of the condition of the food, just what the user has described, which could be wrong anyway.

Boards may be exposed to possible litigation from a reader if they read here something that may make them ill. It’s a preventative measure and something you’re just going to have to accept.

The Gloomster!

I accept that food safety advice is not allowed. No problem there.

You totally missed my point or ignored it.
    I won't comment on the matter here again other than to say: "if in doubt, throw it out", is food safety advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I accept that food safety advice is not allowed. No problem there.

You totally missed my point or ignored it.
    I won't comment on the matter here again other than to say: "if in doubt, throw it out", is food safety advice.

Following further consultation with Boards' lawyers, my fellow Mods and I are now in total agreement that yes, you are correct, it is indeed safety advice.

But, and this is the important bit, if you do follow our food safety advice and chuck out whatever item of food you were in doubt about, you won't then get sick and therefore you can't sue us, so it's a win win for everyone! :D

The Gloomster!

ps I lied about the lawyer bit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,025 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Apologies if this isn't appropriate - but wtf are Aldi at with their latest ad??? What looks like a retired couple claim to have SAVED €439 in four weeks by food shopping in Aldi.

I wouldn't even SPEND €439 on food in four weeks! Did they dine fulltime on lobster and caviar before or what?

Can they just make any kind of outlandish claim they want???

Apologies if this isn't appropriate - but wtf are Aldi at with their latest ad??? What looks like a retired couple claim to have SAVED €439 in four weeks by food shopping in Aldi.

I wouldn't even SPEND €439 on food in four weeks! Did they dine fulltime on lobster and caviar before or what?

Maybe they did. Some people are rich.

If they were they wouldn't even do it, though.

It's an ad. Nobody cares.

I don't. Why would you?

Just stupid people running their campaign most likely. It isn't like they hire the best of the best anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My parents are those exact sort of people. They don't shop in aldi but rather the local butchers, fishmonger, green grocers and supervalu and my mother is a terrible bargain hunter. As an example of a big expense for them would be the butcher. 4 striploin or fillet steaks, roast of beef, sirloin steak minced etc could easily see her pay maybe €60. They eat fresh fish too and pay handsomely for it so could spend €20-30 per week on fish. Crazy money in my opinion but they've worked hard and they chose to spend their money on food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Nobody saves money in aldi or lidl . You go for some milk and bread and end up with a chainsaw or lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jeez there’s me thinking I clicked into the ALDI...what do you recommend thread?

Ps their white vintage cheddar block is gorgeous, think it’s €1.59 it’s in a black wrapper

vicwatson wrote: »
    Jeez there’s me thinking I clicked into the ALDI...what do you recommend thread?

Ps their white vintage cheddar block is gorgeous, think it’s €1.59 it’s in a black wrapper

Controversial, I know, but I prefer the Lidl vintage cheddar - it's more consistent.
    On the flip side, I think the Aldi one is Irish, while the Lidl one is UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

vicwatson wrote: »

Its always nice and very well priced, but it does vary a bit from time to time. It went a bit rubbery there for a while but its back to being strong tasting and crumbly and delicious.

Yeah there is something about consistency in all supermarket own brand products unfortunately.

They can't check and taste every batch like the suppliers do for their own brands.

If I was unhappy I would just fire an email to the customer services, one complain won't matter, but anything with more than one complain would get a bit of attention and might be investigated by buyers or quality team.

Saying that I have never done that meself. I usually just switch to another product. Or just don't buy it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

As it's cheese I'd guess it's to do with the winter months being inside. It's going to have issues further down the line with butterfat %
    But anyhew!! Aldi, I really like their strawberry milk, it's thick & gloopy & I'm a massive kid so after a while inside the freezer it's like a mcD's strawberry milkshake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Picked up a bottle of Tipperary limited edition single malt whiskey for €30 this evening in Claremorris. There were a few bottles on the shelf and I think it's old stock. I think this used to retail 50-60 quid so definitely a bargain. Shoud have bought another bottle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I've had their pulled pork a couple of times now and it's nice. First time just with spuds and veg and last night I out it in a brioche bun and had it with salad.
    €3 I think, and there's enough in that for 2. Not massive portions though. Blue box on the top shelf in the fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I've had their pulled pork a couple of times now and it's nice. First time just with spuds and veg and last night I out it in a brioche bun and had it with salad.
    €3 I think, and there's enough in that for 2. Not massive portions though. Blue box on the top shelf in the fridges.

How spicy is it?

• Advertisement

• Is their Carlos frozen pizza the worst of all frozen pizzas?

Advertisement