Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not sure what you mean by dangerous to open???

If one can't use a knife, be it.

Most can.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do Aldi stock Albarino wine?

According to this they should have some in for the summer.
    https://evoke.ie/2019/03/27/life-style/aldi-summer-wine-collection

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The choceur fruit and nut milk chocolate is back.
    Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AhhHere

wonski wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by dangerous to open???

If one can't use a knife, be it.

Most can.

I just popped off the bottom of it. Never an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The aldi version of nutella is pretty nice.

• Advertisement

The choceur fruit and nut milk chocolate is back.
    Yay!

Without rum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭anewme

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Do Aldi stock Albarino wine?

According to this they should have some in for the summer.
    https://evoke.ie/2019/03/27/life-style/aldi-summer-wine-collection

Ive had the specially selected Albarino a few times now and its good.

Dónal wrote: »
    Without rum?

Yup!
    Rum one is still there, too.
    Still haven't tried the rum one and probably won't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Apologies if this has already been discussed...I am generally an Aldi fan but this week I tried their fresh lasagna from the fridge. I should have known better as it was 2.99 for 1kg.

It was absolutely awful, really inedible. It went in the bin. The pasta was thick and stodgy, the ragu was thin and tasteless with very little meat or vegetables, and the bechamel tasted artificial, like bechamel from a jar. The whole thing felt like one big serving of bechamel and thick pasta.

False economy for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Apologies if this has already been discussed...I am generally an Aldi fan but this week I tried their fresh lasagna from the fridge. I should have known better as it was 2.99 for 1kg. It was absolutely awful, really inedible. It went in the bin. The pasta was thick and stodgy, the ragu was thin and tasteless with very little meat or vegetables, and the bechamel tasted artificial, like bechamel from a jar. The whole thing felt like one big serving of bechamel and thick pasta.

Yikes. I saw that in my local store and had thought about trying it.
    *Makes mental note to avoid.*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

They have changed the roll of fresh pizza dough. It's no longer the rectangular shaped dough in the red packaging. It's now in a navy wrapper and it's circular. It's not as good as the old one and it's definitely smaller. Has anyone else tried it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Any recommendations for vegan friendly stuff? Have some friends coming to stay, one of them is vegan. Want to get a few bits in just so they don't starve before getting to the shops themselves.
    Also wondering if pita breads or wraps are vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PainInTheArse

Any recommendations for vegan friendly stuff? Have some friends coming to stay, one of them is vegan. Want to get a few bits in just so they don't starve before getting to the shops themselves.

Here is a list of everything vegan in Aldi

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/AJV7yZRUwKXC7cHTnODQcgKKC7E.pdf

They do some nice vegan sausage rolls and they also have some prepacked
    vegan sambos if you just want to get a quick snack for your mate.

Also most pita breads and wraps are vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AhhHere

Hummus is great for vegans (just make sure it's the pepper/normal one. Some have Parmesan shavings which Vegans can't have). Also check the stuffed olives. Again, avoid the cheese ones and tried get the sun-dried tomatoes.

I like their falafel and hummus.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I got a few things for her and they all seemed to go down well. Fancy looking beetroot burgers and sweet potato falafel. They had some nice looking cauliflower sausages too. Might have to give some of them a go myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Got the Specially Selected coconut ice lollies recently. Quite like them, but can see that coconut is not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

dudara wrote: »
    Got the Specially Selected coconut ice lollies recently. Quite like them, but can see that coconut is not for everyone.

Oh I like the sound of those. Are they more of an ice pop idea or cream. I'm thinking pop since you said lollies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

dudara wrote: »

The Aldi version of the Ice Burger is really nice, the biscuit is a little softer than the original but tastes much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The pint block raspberry ripple is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Had the cauliflower masala sausages this morning with scrambled eggs. They were really tasty, and crisped up nicely in the oven for 20 mins, not a hint of grease or fat left on the oven dish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The fruit split lollies are nice. Eight in the pack, four pineapple and two each blackcurrant and strawberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Do Aldi sell an imitation Magnum ice cream, if so whats the name/brand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

The infused olive oil with chilly is very good to add a bit of spiciness* to fried food

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Do Aldi sell an imitation Magnum ice cream, if so whats the name/brand
    They do sell an imitation Magnum, I can't remember the brand but I definitely recommend! Not sure about the mini ones, the full size are really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Eeden wrote: »
    They do sell an imitation Magnum, I can't remember the brand but I definitely recommend! Not sure about the mini ones, the full size are really nice.

"Gianni’s Deluxe", both the full and mini size are good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You want to be careful with the mini ones though...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104127214&postcount=2291

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Beside the famous chicken burgers in my local store are two types of chicken kebabs. The one I've tried is the lemon peri peri. Done in the oven. Really lovely. Loads of meat and great flavour. The other flavour is a spicy version. Haven't tried that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Beside the famous chicken burgers in my local store are two types of chicken kebabs. The one I've tried is the lemon peri peri. Done in the oven. Really lovely. Loads of meat and great flavour. The other flavour is a spicy version. Haven't tried that yet.

Don't bother with the spicy version, it's really hot and that's all it tastes like, just eye-wateringly spicy and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

inforfun wrote: »
    You want to be careful with the mini ones though...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104127214&postcount=2291

Indeed. They taste the exact same as magnums. Maybe nicer.

Advertisement