Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

I don't want to turn this into the chicken thigh thread again but tried the spicy and southern fried varieties and hands down the worst chicken product I have ever purchased and half eaten. Disgusting grizzly strangely flavoured pieces of mystery meat pretending to be chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I found the hot spicy one ok . Did notice a good bit of grissel like mentioned above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't want to turn this into the chicken thigh thread again but tried the spicy and southern fried varieties and hands down the worst chicken product I have ever purchased and half eaten. Disgusting grizzly strangely flavoured pieces of mystery meat pretending to be chicken.

Oh God. I have a box in the freezer and am almost afraid to try them now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Oh God. I have a box in the freezer and am almost afraid to try them now

They're grand. Quite nice chopped up and mixed in with a home made special egg fried rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wanted to puke after I'd eaten it. Pure shyte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I much prefer chicken thigh to breast.
    More juicy and flavoursome.
    We Irish are just so used to breast meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I much prefer chicken thigh to breast.
    More juicy and flavoursome.
    We Irish are just so used to breast meat.

I have to say I am.just about giving.up eating chicken -I.might as well spread sauce on dry toast. I buy in Lild & Aldi all the time and while it may be fresh and look healthy and in date and occasionally corn fed it simply tastes.of nothing. Thats the breasts . The sliced packaged chicken and turkey are delicious but they are actually made with sugar/fructose/corn syrup and often potato or whey as bulk/additives. And they are tasty but I suspect not at all healthy. :( The only time chickens taste like ye olde fashioned tasty chickens are when I buy them ready roasted elsewhere or buy them and go to the effort of roasting them - but who has 1 1/2 or 2 hours for that ? :(

I have a thing for.their microwaveable popcorn and fancy cheeses thou!Secret guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh God. I have a box in the freezer and am almost afraid to try them now :(

Haven't had one in a few weeks, but unless they've substantially changed the contents of the box, I found them to be fantastic, not KFC quality, but not far away from it either.

The posters experience above definitely didn't reflect the majority of posters who sampled them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I think it all depends on what kind of chicken you like - if you like smooth, evenly textured fatless chicken then a whole boned chicken thigh is going to be revoltingly full of strange textures and taste very fatty. If this is the case, then you'd probably be better off with some nuggets or a nice grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast (with a little salt if you're feeling daring!)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I bought some 0% fat plain yogurt, was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The Skyr yogurt in the big pots (not sure if it's new) is nice, I had strawberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

whiskeyman wrote:
    I much prefer chicken thigh to breast. More juicy and flavoursome. We Irish are just so used to breast meat.

I absolutely love thighs. And they're cheap as chips because people don't buy them, so long may that continue! But a frozen, breaded one would do absolutely nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Space Dog wrote: »
    The Skyr yogurt in the big pots (not sure if it's new) is nice, I had strawberry.
    They the mango one, it's the best. I buy them four at a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I absolutely love thighs. And they're cheap as chips because people don't buy them, so long may that continue! But a frozen, breaded one would do absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah we use boneless thighs for chicken teryaki and they're absolutely scrumptious.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

I think I saw a great deal for a big pack of HopHouse13 cans yesterday. Was in a hurry so couldn't get the details, but looked to be a great price

Was 18 x500ml cans for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just seen the Brooklea greek yogurt has gone from 10% fat to 5%
    Any idea why they would do this? They have a fat free for those who want it. Greek yogurt is typically meant to be 10%, so now we have one that's somewhere in between.
    It was always sold out in my store so not that it wasn't a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

The lamb sausages are lovely, think they are on special at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Any idea why they would do this? They have a fat free for those who want it. Greek yogurt is typically meant to be 10%, so now we have one that's somewhere in between.

I'm getting a bit tired of Aldi constantly doing stuff like that. They can't seem to leave anything alone lately. The cranberry juice disappeared for a few weeks. Came back last week in a different carton. It now tastes like bitter water, that's the only way I can describe it.

They're obviously continuously changing suppliers and trying to get the best possible price they can for everything, but in turn are peeing off the customer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see they do a Brooklea upright tub greek style fat free one now for 69 cent too - slightly lower protein and more carbs than the wider "authentic" tub, so not sure it would be as thick perhaps. Hope they are not getting rid of the wider authentic one for 1.69 which is lovely and thick (and better macros!)

I wonder is it a brexit casualty (don't get me started on teh bran flakes decline a f ew months back!). The authentic greek ones were made in greece (as they have to be) the greek style are made in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I see they do a Brooklea upright tub greek style fat free one now for 69 cent too - slightly lower protein and more carbs than the wider "authentic" tub, so not sure it would be as thick perhaps. Hope they are not getting rid of the wider authentic one for 1.69 which is lovely and thick (and better macros!)

I wonder is it a brexit casualty (don't get me started on teh bran flakes decline a f ew months back!). The authentic greek ones were made in greece (as they have to be) the greek style are made in the UK.

The one they've changed is the one you mentioned (wider, €1.69 and made in Greece)
    It's still made in Greece with Greek milk (it says) and is still branded as authentic.
    Have to say it still tastes good, but why mess with it in the first place??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone get the burnt ends?
    Don't really know what to do with them lol!

BBQ sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

The one they've changed is the one you mentioned (wider, €1.69 and made in Greece)
    It's still made in Greece with Greek milk (it says) and is still branded as authentic.

Oh thats annoying. I used to buy that a lot, as did a lot of people i know. It was basically a dupe for Fage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Greek yoghurt was traditionally made with sheep's milk.
    But I guess, they got it designated that they can use any Greek milk. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Anyone get the burnt ends?
    Don't really know what to do with them lol!

BBQ sides?

Sounds interesting, burnt ends of what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Whatever that horrible dogfood quality cut of meat is that they put in all those boxes and their pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Usually brisket, I think.

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, in fact I'd be a little bit like "Hughie" from the Aldi adverts of late, where he salivates over imaginary bits of meat *bit cringe worthy tbh*

However - bought the vegan sausage rolls for the wife, who thoroughly enjoyed them and the youngest lad was caught like a kipper into believing they were the real deal meaty sausage rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I bought the specially selected honey roast ham slices today to use for sandwiches at lunchtime.....never again!!!! First time I have eaten ham that tasted of nothing, didn't even taste of ham never mind of honey

yogibear77 wrote: »
    I bought the specially selected honey roast ham slices today to use for sandwiches at lunchtime.....never again!!!! First time I have eaten ham that tasted of nothing, didn't even taste of ham never mind of honey

I think their torchon ham isn't too bad, maybe give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tried some of the Harvest Morn cereal/snack bars recently. Both were really nice, and not too bad as a snack option. Will definitely be going back for more.

(1) Salted caramel almond & pretzel popcorn bar (93 cals)
    (2) Benefit Jaffa Cake bar (66 cals)

Advertisement