Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Retained recruitment in the pipeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

TallGlass wrote: »
    It's always been PAS format !

The last public recruitment was not done with online tests followed by verification tests but instead just one round of aptitude tests in Croke Park back in 05/06 and I would imagine the same numbers applied then as will now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Retained recruitment in the pipeline

There's probably some retained gone for the internal comp so they'll lose a few there alongside whatever they're down at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

megabantz wrote: »
    The last public recruitment was not done with online tests followed by verification tests but instead just one round of aptitude tests in Croke Park back in 05/06 and I would imagine the same numbers applied then as will now.

Confirmed by PAS it's online test first, commencing the 23'd and following week too. Supervised plus additional in person tests to be staged in January.

That fall's in line with the past DFB call taker tests and other ES campaigns too.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

5500 wrote: »
    Confirmed by PAS it's online test first, commencing the 23'd and following week too. Supervised plus additional in person tests to be staged in January.

That fall's in line with the past DFB call taker tests and other ES campaigns too.
    When did PAS confirm its an online test first?

• Advertisement

I called them earlier on today

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bilyboy

Does anybody know if the pay scales quoted in the competition booklet are correct. I suppose they must be, but a friend of a friend told me today that the start point is 477 on a 9 point pay scale and not 429 on a 10 point one. Later on he showed me the pay scale from 2 years ago to prove his point. He's in the DFB I should add and he was unaware of any changes to the scales, but then again if it didn't affect him how would he have known.

I already knew that all new entrants into the Public Service are deducted another 10% on top, as part of the Croke Park / Haddington Road agreement, but is this a new pay cut for new entrants? With the pension deduction there is not a whole lot left.

I'm also wondering will this effect the numbers applying, especially for the candidates with young families or mortgages.

If I am lucky enough to get on the panel, although I doubt it, it would make for a very difficult decision

Bilyboy wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the pay scales quoted in the competition booklet are correct. I suppose they must be, but a friend of a friend told me today that the start point is 477 on a 9 point pay scale and not 429 on a 10 point one. Later on he showed me the pay scale from 2 years ago to prove his point. He's in the DFB I should add and he was unaware of any changes to the scales, but then again if it didn't affect him how would he have known.

I already knew that all new entrants into the Public Service are deducted another 10% on top, as part of the Croke Park / Haddington Road agreement, but is this a new pay cut for new entrants? With the pension deduction there is not a whole lot left.

I'm also wondering will this effect the numbers applying, especially for the candidates with young families or mortgages.

If I am lucky enough to get on the panel, although I doubt it, it would make for a very difficult decision

for most people this has been a boyhood dream so this is all they have ever wanted and thus I would imagine wont affect the numbers applying but it will be an influencing factor when they have the letter to sign contracts and they need to make the final call.

I know many many people who applied for guards, airport etc etc who never intended on taking the position but did it to test how far they could get including right upto being offered a start date and only then did they withdraw themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

for most people this has been a boyhood dream so this is all they have ever wanted and thus I would imagine wont affect the numbers applying but it will be an influencing factor when they have the letter to sign contracts and they need to make the final call.

I know many many people who applied for guards, airport etc etc who never intended on taking the position but did it to test how far they could get including right upto being offered a start date and only then did they withdraw themselves.

Not very fair... People applying for the crack or too see how far they can get. Especially when you have people going for the fire service because that's the job they want! My opinion anyway...

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Not very fair... People applying for the crack or too see how far they can get. Especially when you have people going for the fire service because that's the job they want! My opinion anyway...

Completely agree but unfortunately if somebody wants say the military and the FS or guards are out before then they will use it as a practice!

• Advertisement

Completely agree but unfortunately if somebody wants say the military and the FS or guards are out before then they will use it as a practice!

I know it's an open competition so anyone has a right to go for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

lonfire1 wrote: »

Weird, considering these tests are usually aimed at find the correct candidate for the job. In which case they would in the correct job.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Weird, considering these tests are usually aimed at find the correct candidate for the job. In which case they would in the correct job.

It's only a culling process ...so some might be good at an aptitude... Doesn't make them a good worker!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Anybody know when we hear back about about the next step in recruitment?

Probably Friday or early next week at the latest if aptitudes are to start the following week they normally send over some sample/practice links in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

5500 wrote:
    Probably Friday or early next week at the latest if aptitudes are to start the following week they normally send over some sample/practice links in advance.

Hardly be Friday if closing date for applications is Thursday surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helsbels31

Anyone know when internal interview results will be out?

Late Wednesday or Thursday morning.

Late Wednesday or Thursday morning.

Do you think the first round of the external comp will be online ?

I don't know so not going to say yes or no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 helsbels31

Anybody an idea of how many they'll recruit from internal comp please?

I would say if anyone has any questions it's probably best to ring HR because it's very unlikely anyone will have accurate information for the questions above. We are all as much in the dark as eachother.

15-20 I believe

Anyone hear on the number of applicants yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

Any word out there on DFB recruitment?

Firerunner wrote: »
    Any word out there on DFB recruitment?

Recruitment has passed. Competition closed to the public on the 12th of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

Know that, I've applied! I mean is there anything word since?

If word was out you would have got an email!!

I'd say we should hear by next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would slow your pace down there Firerunner, if you have any experience with the Public Appointment Service (PAS) you'll understand fully, how slow the wheels of there operation moves.

Advertisement