Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

lonfire1 wrote: »
    C P A T ..??

candidate physical ability test used by fire services all over the world including DFB, LFB and most county Fire Services in Ireland - google it and take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Probably should know that.... Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sorry should have made myself a little cleared as I understand the process, is it the same as the Garda in the sense of the tests been;

Logical reasoning and verbal reasoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Online aptitude, repeat aptitude, interview, medical & physical. That's what id expect.

Usually physicals after the aptitude and before the interviews???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Anyone have practice aptitude tests??

• Advertisement

Usually physicals after the aptitude and before the interviews???

I would say after interview. Same as Garda, public jobs till interview then hand over to DFB then medical etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

The people that are in the volunteer side of Dublin Fire Brigade surely have a huge advantage going into this? How difficult is the CPAT in comparison to the Garda one? Whats the chances of a joe soap getting in, ie somebody who has no volunteering ecxperience with fire brigade?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

The way I look at it is, if your not in ye can't win....!

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    The people that are in the volunteer side of Dublin Fire Brigade surely have a huge advantage going into this? How difficult is the CPAT in comparison to the Garda one? Whats the chances of a joe soap getting in, ie somebody who has no volunteering ecxperience with fire brigade?

DFB don't have a volunteer side.. you might be thinking of Dublin Civil Defence which isn't always a good thing as DFB don't usually have any interraction with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

So basically there isn't really any huge advantage that people have over each other? Would there be many retained fire fighters going for this?I am a member of the Garda Reserve so that might help?

• Advertisement

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    So basically there isn't really any huge advantage that people have over each other? Would there be many retained fire fighters going for this?I am a member of the Garda Reserve so that might help?

You will have retained/fulltime/paramedics/advancedparamedic/shop attendants/busdrivers/builders/people on the scratcher/truck drivers etc etc etc going for this. I wouldn't worry about what others bring to the table just focus on what you can bring to the table and if they want you they want you. It wont do you any good worrying about what others have on their CV. Obviously past experience benefits you but this goes for any job you apply for. They are looking to FULLY train recruits, if they wanted fully trained firefighters they would have asked so everyone has a fair chance :)

megabantz wrote: »
    You will have retained/fulltime/paramedics/advancedparamedic/shop attendants/busdrivers/builders/people on the scratcher/truck drivers etc etc etc going for this. I wouldn't worry about what others bring to the table just focus on what you can bring to the table and if they want you they want you. It wont do you any good worrying about what others have on their CV. Obviously past experience benefits you but this goes for any job you apply for. They are looking to FULLY train recruits, if they wanted fully trained firefighters they would have asked so everyone has a fair chance :)

Totally agree with this, as a Garda Reserve it had absolutely no impact on us going for the full time service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Arruabarrena any idea on a rough time line as to when stages may be, eg online/ in person/ interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

No idea really. I'd imagine it will all kick off in January. They need a class ready to start in June/July so that gives them plenty of time.

Usually a week or two after closing date would be my guess, then around a week or so to complete the tests, should bring us into the new year. Perfect timing.

DCC have other priorities prior to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helsbels31

What priorities?

I thought looking at similar es related jobs the in person aptitude test's would possibly have been by mid December freeing up the new year for interviews but all should probably become a bit clearer after the closing date I guess if PAS give a time line estimate.

Do you know if the call taker roles are advertising this side of Christmas as well?

Confined interviews taking place over the next two weeks. Plus DCC have several other large competitions being worked on between now and Xmas. The confined competition gives them a bit of breathing space with regards to the external comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 helsbels31

Wow didn't think there would be enough candidates from internal comp to have 2 weeks of interviews. That's interesting. There must be plenty who got through from confined comp. Good luck to all going for confined and external comps

• Advertisement

Have we got word on how many places are available?

Who knows... at the end of the day we only need 1 position available to be in with a chance!

I spoke to a few people yesterday and I was told the aptitude tests will be supervised and we will not be getting a prelim round from the comfort of our sofa and a laptop.... let the number cutting commence

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bilyboy

I'm new to the site and I was told to check out this forum. I too have applied for the firefighter positions and I have a few questions that maybe somebody could help me with. From what I can gather there is a class in the new year which consists of a group made up of controllers? and internal staff. So my first question is:

1. The second class is that going to be more of the controller / internal staff or will it be something that myself and thousands can aspire to?

2. How many are planned to be in the first and subsequent classes.

3. How many will be on the panel and how long will it last.

Apologies if these questions have been asked previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

Who knows... at the end of the day we only need 1 position available to be in with a chance!

I spoke to a few people yesterday and I was told the aptitude tests will be supervised and we will not be getting a prelim round from the comfort of our sofa and a laptop.... let the number cutting commence

I'm glad that there'll be no online aptitude like the airport as I know quite a few lads who cheated on them . Using maths apps on the iPad and even getting someone else to do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

123kid2014 wrote: »
    I'm glad that there'll be no online aptitude like the airport as I know quite a few lads who cheated on them . Using maths apps on the iPad and even getting someone else to do it for them.

But they would have been caught out in the supervised test with worse results wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

But they would have been caught out in the supervised test with worse results wouldn't they?

They would've if the airport had a supervised test. They only did a online aptitude test and then interviews and physical/fitness test . Jokes on the airport really

DAA never verified the online tests

DAA never verified the online tests

That's mental !

I was speaking to someone today on the internal recruitment and they did online already and have supervised coming up, surely the external will be the same since it may have 10 times+ applying and would take pas a lot of time to get through without shortlisting.

Paramedic/garda/the last dfb call taker were all done in the same format too eg online followed by supervised

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    I was speaking to someone today on the internal recruitment and they did online already and have supervised coming up, surely the external will be the same since it may have 10 times+ applying and would take pas a lot of time to get through without shortlisting.

Paramedic/garda/the last dfb call taker were all done in the same format too eg online followed by supervised

It's always been PAS format !

Advertisement