Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

ESCO advertised at same time I believe.

Incorrect. Separate advertisement to be determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

Is firefighter still looking good for Thursday

Yep, 100% going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reddington

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Yep, 100% going ahead.

Hi Arruabarrena, how do you know for 100% certain. I only ask out of excitement? I have job alert set up on publicjobs.ie but nothing yet.

• Advertisement

It will be advertised tomorrow barring any cock up from the PAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

123kid2014 wrote: »

No way, I hope not. That's ridiculous.

Easily achieved I would say. A lot of people have been waiting for this to come around since the last external recruitment which was I think around 2006

I know a bunch of guards some of which are not out of templemore long wanting to join, I know lads in the military and NAS all looking to get in.... the list will be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

megabantz wrote: »
    Easily achieved I would say. A lot of people have been waiting for this to come around since the last external recruitment which was I think around 2006

I know a bunch of guards some of which are not out of templemore long wanting to join, I know lads in the military and NAS all looking to get in.... the list will be huge

Ye true enough, I know a few full time firemen applying too .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

I'd imaging a lot of the people from the last panel cancelled in 2012 will apply too

Ye true enough, I know a few full time firemen applying too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Incorrect. Separate advertisement to be determined.

Do you know if the ESCO is planned to go ahead in the coming weeks/months or is there no set time frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Good news.

I notice it just says firefighter ......... will they be training people as paramedics too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

It's going to be a huge competition. Best of Luck!

its 6 months training, 3 firefighting and 3 paramedic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

its 6 months training, 3 firefighting and 3 paramedic

Just out of interest how do they do a phecc paramedic course in 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

sjb25 wrote:

I'm wondering this too...applied this morning, main reason is I want to become a paramedic with hse down the line and as they are not recruiting anytime soon by sounds of it I'm going DFB route but also have strong ambitions to be a firefighter!! After just completing 4 year nursing degree and seeing emergency situations at first hand I don't understand how someone with only 3 months training will be equipped to deal with what is thrown at them ...Any insight would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

sjb25 wrote:

I'm wondering this too...applied this morning, main reason is I want to become a paramedic with hse down the line and as they are not recruiting anytime soon by sounds of it I'm going DFB route but also have strong ambitions to be a firefighter!! After just completing 4 year nursing degree and seeing emergency situations at first hand I don't understand how someone with only 3 months training will be equipped to deal with what is thrown at them ...Any insight would be great!

shaunac93 wrote: »

The 3 months is just the basic . Then u go on the job with experienced paramedics and on placements I think

they don't do it all in 3 month as the paramedic course works out at roughly 2 years but the classroom teaching is completed in 3 months or there abouts with each paramedic intern having to clock up hours on an emergency ambulance. the paramedic interns then are subjected to written and practical oscii tests and further case studies and then once they clock up the required hours, complete case studies, complete written exams and the oscii exams then they can apply for paramedic registration.

from the phecc training standards doc for paramedic

"Duration: The Paramedic course is no less than 10 week theoretical instruction and no less than
    18 weeks undergraduate internship and one year postgraduate internship"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Just out of curiosity, how can dfb recruit people with just a junior/ inter cert, and train up to firefighter paramedic level, but applicants to hse need 5 passes in leaving cert with science to become paramedic? I presume it's a ucd requirement with hse and dfb is internal training, would I be correct?

Just out of curiosity, how can dfb recruit people with just a junior/ inter cert, and train up to firefighter paramedic level, but applicants to hse need 5 passes in leaving cert with science to become paramedic? I presume it's a ucd requirement with hse and dfb is internal training, would I be correct?

If you only need junior certificate that only means one thing. 10,000+ applying haha

I would imagine its down to what the hse think a suitable candidate should possess as a min education requirement. Personally just because somebody doesn't have a leaving cert doesnt mean they cant make great FF and paramedics. This is where interviews come in and the interviewer is gauging the candidate to see are they suitable for the role through current and past experiences and qualifications.

Somebody could have no leaving cert but has gone on to become and EMT, heavy driver and done other courses where they would be suitable for the role this way I would imagine.

If you only need junior certificate that only means one thing. 10,000+ applying haha

easily but at the end of the day 50k people could apply but you either have it or you don't when up against the next guy/girl

You will have people with 0 skills/background applying to advanced paramedics to tradesmen and from looking at past recruitment drives it has been a mixed bag so everyone is in with a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

easily but at the end of the day 50k people could apply but you either have it or you don't when up against the next guy/girl

You will have people with 0 skills/background applying to advanced paramedics to tradesmen and from looking at past recruitment drives it has been a mixed bag so everyone is in with a chance

Talking to a few of the lads from dfb/ hse, they prefer the layman rather than someone with emt lisences etc!! Not saying they only want laymen, but prefer!!

Does anyone know if the initial testing is more jobs specific rather than the bulls**t standardised testing?

Talking to a few of the lads from dfb/ hse, they prefer the layman rather than someone with emt lisences etc!! Not saying they only want laymen, but prefer!!

Does anyone know if the initial testing is more jobs specific rather than the bulls**t standardised testing?

The emt can only benefit your application as it shows interest and that you're able to study and you paid over €2000 to do it.

I can see why it wouldn't really matter if you didn't have it . If you fit the bill you'll get the job .

The aptitude will knock out thousands

they don't do it all in 3 month as the paramedic course works out at roughly 2 years but the classroom teaching is completed in 3 months or there abouts with each paramedic intern having to clock up hours on an emergency ambulance. the paramedic interns then are subjected to written and practical oscii tests and further case studies and then once they clock up the required hours, complete case studies, complete written exams and the oscii exams then they can apply for paramedic registration.

from the phecc training standards doc for paramedic

"Duration: The Paramedic course is no less than 10 week theoretical instruction and no less than
    18 weeks undergraduate internship and one year postgraduate internship"

Clears it up alright

They are UCD requirements rather than NAS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I was shocked when I seen that on the application.

• Advertisement

yeah I used emt as en example of somebody who dropped out before leaving cert but has gone on to study a field related to the fire/ambulance service that shows they have the mental capacity and are studious enough that they may be well able to go on and do paramedic.

Yeah they don't look for fully trained firefighters and paremdics as they are looking for RECRUIT firefighters but it defo helps when up against somebody who doesnt have it if it came down to one or the other.

Aptitude tests will wipe a lot away alrught but so will interview. An interview for the fire service is quite difficult and the standard is extremely high

Advertisement