Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 choppa

I just uploaded the information booklet to google drive if anybody needs to download it send me pm as I cant post the link here.

Looks like physicals come after the interview...

Does anybody know if all the stages are ranked?

Got just under 240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Is the next round for everyone another aptitude test or is it only the highest scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

From looking at the feedback, I'm not in band 1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Is the next round for everyone another aptitude test or is it only the highest scorers?

No not everyone who passed will get called. It states they will call up people in the order of merit assigned after round 1. They will call people starting at position 1 until they achieve the required numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Firerunner

Bit of a pain knowing that ye scored way above average, but still doubtful for a call up!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

I read the first paragraph and it said I qualified in order of merit ... Happy days. Then I read the end of the email and still in the dark . Just ove 1500 .....I.wonder if HR would let you know?

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many will be called to next round??
    I got 220. Don't know if that is good enough.

Ah come on think about it for a sec. If somebody who scored 220 doesn't get called up then what does that mean less than 200 go through for next round, then that round cuts people and you have less than 200 people going for interview for 200 panel places???

At least the first 1500 should expect to get through!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

megabantz wrote:
    Ah come on think about it for a sec. If somebody who scored 220 doesn't get called up then what does that mean less than 200 go through for next round, then that round cuts people and you have less than 200 people going for interview for 200 panel places???

megabantz wrote:
    At least the first 1500 should expect to get through!

Didn't know there was 200 panel places. Thanks

Mcmuffin81 wrote: »
    Didn't know there was 200 panel places. Thanks

Nothing has officially been advertised but it's always been 200 roughly. They take what they need from the panel then. The only guaranteed thing is 66 jobs I believe but that's not to say it changes in 2017 and they use the remainder of the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would say they will call a certain number to the next round to verify the results and then move on from there. Can't imagine more tests there was quite alot in the first stage.

I'm honesly bricking it, don't know how I managed it but I am below 100 and don't know if I can get the same result. It must have been a fluke, I am ****ting it for them maths questions again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

Good question

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lucanone

I would love to know what the number of people will be called to next stage....I think it's a bit harsh in ways as individuals could easily have gotten assistance for the online test and others lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

May be worth contacting public jobs for additional info and see if they can elaborate a bit more on numbers.

As for the next round a friend is on the internal recruitment and there most certainly was/is additional tests for the next round along with the ones already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭TicTacDoc

Firstly congratulations to all who got their results and the best of luck to all in the process.

So lads here is how a panel works,

7000+ people applied for the role of Firefighter with DCC (This is confirmed)

Then as the results say the top candidates are called forward for the next round (in this case is an aptitude in person) this is designed to weed out anyone who can not recreate the same score they got in an online enviroment. It will consist of some of the same style aptitudes but will also contain the dreaded "Observation" where a video is played and you have to recall the info in your answers.

Stage 2) my guess is 1000 people will be called forward for this aptitude. I also guess 300 ish will be culled

Stage 3) Interview: my guess 200 will be culled down to 500 candidates

Stage 4) Physical (Bleeps test, fitness test doctor examination) and Fire Brigade practical (are you afraid of heights, confined spaces etc) again my guess will be 150 celled at this stage bringing a final panel down to 350 candidates

My opinion is a panel of 350 candidates will be drawn down over a 3 year period with approximately 3 classes of 50 firefighters being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I'm getting scared that i wont be able to repeat the same score in supervised aptitude test!! Finished waaaayyy higher than expected (just oitside top 50), convinced i was reading message wrong!! Going to be so nervous now that i'll mess up and they'll think i was cheating 1st time round!!! Still shocked with result!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

TicTacDoc - Worth noting the Physical and Medical are two totally separate entities.

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I'm getting scared that i wont be able to repeat the same score in supervised aptitude test!! Finished waaaayyy higher than expected (just oitside top 50), convinced i was reading message wrong!! Going to be so nervous now that i'll mess up and they'll think i was cheating 1st time round!!! Still shocked with result!

If you did the same online you should be able to do the same in person dont worry. I'd be worried for anyone that may have had friends help them answer questions or google on the online aptitude. They will be found out in the next exam. I know some lads did that for Dublin Airport but they never did an in person aptitude.

Anyway i have been looking back at the 2007 recruitment and i can see that there were 7000 candidates and 801 went through to interview (this is fact). And finally a panel of 196 was formed in 2007. 2 classes went through over a 2/3 year period but the second half of the panel was later scrapped in 2012.

Interestingly my prediction above that 350 would go on the panel i now this was way off. and here is why.....

In September 2015 DFB threatened strike action by not working over time. the outcome of this was this very recruitment campaign. During the threat of strike action it was confirmed 70 Firefighters were required and by Christmas (2015) it would be as many as 100 (see this article to confirm) http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0921/729300-dublin-fire-brigade/

Now we all know their was an "Internal recruitment". And this class is im told is of 50 and due to start in January/February (which lasts 6 months) so the earliest a class from this recruitment can start is 6 months after that. now we are up to 100 new recruits by say January 2017. Then what? they may or may not need another class by then. and they may push out for a year after that if recruits are not required.

Also to mention a panel can naturally only last 2 years. it may be extended if DFB apply to have it for i think 1 year but maybe 2.

Long story short my guess is a final panel will be of 200-250 people recruited over a 2/3 year period. but i wont be surprised if the last class does not get called. cost nothing for DCC to have people lined up ready to go but does not use them

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

TicTacDoc wrote: »
    ade/[

Now we all know their was an "Internal recruitment". And this class is im told is of 50 and due to start in January/February (which lasts 6 months) so the earliest a class from this recruitment can start is 6 months after that. now we are up to 100 new recruits by say January 2017. Then what? they may or may not need another class by then. and they may push out for a year after that if recruits are not required.

50 internally is massive, they may not need as massive number externally after that.

To all the cheats.... Well done, fair play!!

Firerunner wrote: »

Very bitter post.

How can somebody cheat that exam ?? I'm curious?

• Advertisement

Unsupervised test!..... Makes it very tough for guys like myself who've been waiting for fire service recruitment to happen, been retained for a number of years, not getting any younger.... Just feel this is my last chance to get into the full time brigade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Firerunner wrote:

I dont understand how u could cheat that exam, soo much of it was your personal opinion and attitude, then the rest was timed so i cant see how u'd get a good mark by googling etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Unsupervised test!..... Makes it very tough for guys like myself who've been waiting for fire service recruitment to happen, been retained for a number of years, not getting any younger.... Just feel this is my last chance to get into the full time brigade!

I would like to give the benefit of the doubt to most people and say they done it the honest way. The second round will whittle down the cheats but it is a different test so they could get lucky and slip through the net. I guess the first round is too big to do it any other way but it does promote cheating.

What have you got to lose by cheating ? You get a great score and are still in with a chance to get by in round 2 with a lot less numbers.

Personally I think its a job that will wear you down if you don't qualify for it honestly. The test is well structured and if you got there on your own merits it is something you are actually suited to do.

I wouldn't lose hope just yet, nobody knows what may happen in round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Congratulations to all who have got through the first round of aptitude testing.

Just a few points to try and clear up all the speculation. However, I am not stating fact as the job has a way of moving and changing plans.

Over the last few panels there has generally been approx 200 people placed on them. The panel has normally been fully used up. The exception to this was the 2007 panel which was abolished after a couple of classes. This was due to the economic crisis and the clampdown on public service recruitment. I would be hopefull that we will return to the previous policy of controlled, steady recruitment and use the whole panel. The vacancies will be there for them. A recent Workplace Commission Ruling signed up to by Management and Unions states that all vacancies are to be filled at each rank and the overall strength is not to be reduced.

The internal class starting in January will not as far as I know have 50 DFB recruits. The applicants had to go through the exact same process as external candidates and many were deemed unsuitable at aptitude test stage. The same happened at interview and my understanding is that only around 20 made it through so far. They still have to do the CPAT. There are also 10 ESC's and a small amount of people who were on the previous internal panel. This will make less than 40. This will be nullified pretty quickly by promotions. A DO's panel has just finished. An SO's panel is in the middle of the competition at present. The knock on Sub Off panel will happen next year and will see enough FF's promoted to nearly clear the January internal recruit class numbers

The first external class is due to start in the summer. I'm sure they'll look to maximise numbers on this but everything is subject to change:)

I'm not buying this and here's why,

Bar the maths tests the other 3 tests were based on your opinion of what you thought was right and somebody like yourself with operational firefighting experience should trump most hands down. So straight away that you in a favourable position for 3/5 of the aptitude tests. The maths well I'm not convinced that the basic numeracy test was difficult as its basic arithmetic so if you found this difficult that's just how it goes. The other maths well you either know it or you don't but overall you were in a more favourable position than most with your background so please don't be so negative toward prople who did well caus I did the test off my own back and scored in the top 10 and it's not nice to hear cheater being pushed around when I'd say most did it from their own experiences not through the hands of others.

Did you score in the top 2000 by any chance cause they should take at least this amount forward so you may be still in with a chance

Ah maybe I'm just bitter in my old age! All I can say is I did my best and fingers crossed I get through! Well done to all the honest people out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Fwiw the tests all had different variants. From 3 people I spoke to all were asked different variations of the questions bar the assessment questioneer which was the same for everyone, so in fairness to PAS they were on the ball compared to the way DAA ran things with the airport fire recruitment.

Either ways its a long process still to go so don't get too hung up on the order of merit as it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Chungwun

Just to clarify a few points that other posters have made. The 'internal' class of 50 starting in January is made up of about 20 new internal recruits, 10 escs, remainder from previous internal recruit and 8-10 recruits from Limerick.

It will be run as a firefighting recruit training with the recruits going operational without starting the paramedic training.

The 2nd class, 1st external class is due to start in May with a view of 50+. Same again no paramedic training. But when they go operational the first class will go back to start their ems training then.

The 3rd class, 2nd external is pencilled in for a possible start in November.

For what it's worth I thought it unfair to give people a position and not give an indication of what the cut off Mark is

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

5500 wrote: »
    Fwiw the tests all had different variants. From 3 people I spoke to all were asked different variations of the questions bar the assessment questioneer which was the same for everyone, so in fairness to PAS they were on the ball compared to the way DAA ran things with the airport fire recruitment.

Either ways its a long process still to go so don't get too hung up on the order of merit as it stands

Ye the order of merit means very little. If you're through that's all that matters. Now we wait and see

• Advertisement

Just for the record. In the 2007 recruitment just bacause you passed the minimum standard did not mean you went to interview. They only drew the top 801 candidates. More than 2000 candidates were deemed to have passed to an above minimum standard yet they were not brought forward. The point im getting at is nothing is for certain until you have it in writing

Advertisement