Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭123kid2014

megabantz wrote: »
    yeah I used emt as en example of somebody who dropped out before leaving cert but has gone on to study a field related to the fire/ambulance service that shows they have the mental capacity and are studious enough that they may be well able to go on and do paramedic.

Yeah they don't look for fully trained firefighters and paremdics as they are looking for RECRUIT firefighters but it defo helps when up against somebody who doesnt have it if it came down to one or the other.

Aptitude tests will wipe a lot away alrught but so will interview. An interview for the fire service is quite difficult and the standard is extremely high

If you're a paramedic/emt or full time or retained firefighter already I'm sure it's a good thing.

I agree with aptitude and interviews. They're both hard.

You'd nearly need to get everything right in the aptitude to get through as the standard will be top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

123kid2014 wrote: »
    If you're a paramedic/emt or full time or retained firefighter already I'm sure it's a good thing.

I agree with aptitude and interviews. They're both hard.

You'd nearly need to get everything right in the aptitude to get through as the standard will be top notch.

Yeah it defo does you good but by no means the be all and end all at he end of the day if the interviewer doesn't think your the right character for the job then he wont sign you off. I know of an interviewr before giving the job to a layman over s candidate with all the bells and whistles because he didnt convince him at interview he would be any better than the layman!

Yeah it defo does you good but by no means the be all and end all at he end of the day if the interviewer doesn't think your the right character for the job then he wont sign you off. I know of an interviewr before giving the job to a layman over s candidate with all the bells and whistles because he didnt convince him at interview he would be any better than the layman!

Ye I guess you can have all the qualifications but if your interview is bad then forget it .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭thatboy1

Any idea how many theyre looking for?

I would hope its the same as the last public recruitment (2005/6) which was roughly 200 and recruit classes are drafted from this figure. perhaps some of the dfb lads on here would know more

• Advertisement

I would hope its the same as the last public recruitment (2005/6) which was roughly 200 and recruit classes are drafted from this figure. perhaps some of the dfb lads on here would know more

Ye I heard they will be down a 100 early 2016 so I'd expect a big panel of maybe 150-200

Ye I heard they will be down a 100 early 2016 so I'd expect a big panel of maybe 150-200

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Hi lads... Do ye think that they might do an online test .... Something that can be done from home, just to get numbers down.....like Dublin airport fire ?

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Hi lads... Do ye think that they might do an online test .... Something that can be done from home, just to get numbers down.....like Dublin airport fire ?

there will most likely be online tests but DFB - unlike the airport, tend to also throw in a supervised verification assessment to weed out the cheats among us.

there will most likely be online tests but DFB - unlike the airport, tend to also throw in a supervised verification assessment to weed out the cheats among us.

That's fair game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Didn't the Garda do the test online and a 2nd supervised one.

The main aptitude will be in croker so nobody can cheat like everyone I know in the airport aptitude.

One of my mates used a maths app on his phone for the maths and got them all right .

Stupid airport

The main aptitude will be in croker so nobody can cheat like everyone I know in the airport aptitude.

One of my mates used a maths app on his phone for the maths and got them all right .

Stupid airport

I'd say main will be in the PAS offices . They've computers there for confirming online aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭johnjoe 123

thatboy1 wrote: »
    I'd say main will be in the PAS offices . They've computers there for confirming online aptitude tests.

Right I've applied what's next guys will I get an application form or ??? I see a crowd on Facebook in Dublin doing a coarse to help you get in like a prep coarse.

Right I've applied what's next guys will I get an application form or ??? I see a crowd on Facebook in Dublin doing a coarse to help you get in like a prep coarse.

it's an online application so if you have applied then that was your application.. I would imagine your CV will come into play after they cut the applicants down to something like 600 from the 10k+ that apply and bring them forward for interview

Lads I wonder will the aptitude test in croker or wherever it is be the same as the one in 2006?

Written passages
    Calculating
    Videos

?

Do u reckon there will be that many applying?
    Sure they will never sit that many in Croke Park....they will def.. cut it down with an on line test

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Do u reckon there will be that many applying?
    Sure they will never sit that many in Croke Park....they will def.. cut it down with an on line test

Yes in 2006 there was 9000 if I remember correctly.

They'll probably do a basic one online first to cut a few out of say but the majority will go to croker.
    Unless the online one is hard. Then loads will be knocked out early

They'll do it over a few days in croker I'd say

Yes in 2006 there was 9000 if I remember correctly.

They'll probably do a basic one online first to cut a few out of say but the majority will go to croker.
    Unless the online one is hard. Then loads will be knocked out early

They'll do it over a few days in croker I'd say

It wont be croker. It'll be in the PAS offices. They've them set up with computers to confirm online testing. That's how they ran Garda campaign too

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Im living in Leixlip (technically Kildare) but its practically Dublin, will this hamper my application do you think?

• Advertisement

dmc36 wrote: »
    Im living in Leixlip (technically Kildare) but its practically Dublin, will this hamper my application do you think?
    Not at all.... Wouldn't make it a fair competition then. I'm not from Dublin and I'm going for it!

not sure if it's a big deal but it states this in the application

"The holder of the post must reside within the area of the City or County of Dublin unless permission is given for special reasons to reside outside the City or County of Dublin and will be required to serve in any area of the City or County of Dublin or in the area of any other local authority with which the City council has entered into an agreement."

I can't imagine this is enforced

Maybe so.... Hopefully not!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Enquiring about age profile, maybe some of you lads could answer.

Brother of mine is 38 and considering applying for this .... waste of time or not?

Thanks in advance.

GD wrote: »
    Enquiring about age profile, maybe some of you lads could answer.

Brother of mine is 38 and considering applying for this .... waste of time or not?

Thanks in advance.

It depends - firefighters with DFB must retire at 55 end of story. He wouldn't be the oldest recruit to enter the obi but he would have to look at if its financially worth it pension wise etc compared to his current situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

What way they work the testing? I assume its the same as the Garda, how many places on offer?

Probably...1 if not 2 rounds of aptitude then fitness strength,height and confined spaces.... Possibly interviews then ...
    Something along those lines....
    Some say a panel of 100-200.... God knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Arruabarrena

Online aptitude, repeat aptitude, interview, medical & physical. That's what id expect.

Online aptitude, repeat aptitude, interview, medical & physical. That's what id expect.

I would imagine the same lineup! the good oul CPAT test is great at wiping people out!

Run fat boy run :D:p

• Advertisement

C P A T ..??

Advertisement