Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UKMET now moving more toward a warmer/hot thundery period from Tuesday to Friday so seeing upgrade today for possible heatwave conditions.

GEM keeps heatwave in to the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep met office over here warning 'very hot' conditions next week, already been in the mid 20s this week with 28C here in London today so low to mid 30s could be on the cards next week

In fact just looking at the latest ECMWF it's showing 20C+ 850hPa temps for four consecutive days here so almost record breaking heat if that comes off. Ireland right on the edge of the intense heat so significant thunderstorm potential all week I'd think. Latest models are prolonging the heatwave with potential for multiple reloads now as well

Great to have some interesting weather again after such a benign year up to now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Monsoon in Galway just now wow where did that come from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Harps wrote: »
    Yep met office over here warning 'very hot' conditions next week, already been in the mid 20s this week with 28C here in London today so low to mid 30s could be on the cards next week

In fact just looking at the latest ECMWF it's showing 20C+ 850hPa temps for four consecutive days here so almost record breaking heat if that comes off. Ireland right on the edge of the intense heat so significant thunderstorm potential all week I'd think. Latest models are prolonging the heatwave with potential for multiple reloads now as well

Great to have some interesting weather again after such a benign year up to now :)

Being on the edge of the plume can sometimes be the best place to be for thunderstorms.

archives-1985-7-26-0-1.png
    archives-1985-7-26-0-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LittleBittaLav

Is this Summer going to get any better? :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Is this Summer going to get any better? :/

All weather is local I guess!

If July and August repeated June here (Dublin) we'd be heading for one of the driest and sunniest summers on record; though no high temp records would be broken...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The grass here (Waterford) is looking pretty parched unless its been allowed to grow long and so retain moisture

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Is there any chance that this plume will move over Ireland or will we stay on the edge of it? 2 or 3 days with no wind or rain and I'll be happy

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Is there any chance that this plume will move over Ireland or will we stay on the edge of it? 2 or 3 days with no wind or rain and I'll be happy

Well, if it affects Ireland it looks like continuing the good weather on the East coast, though maybe not extending it to the rest.

We have some folk here in the east actually wishing for rain.

I'd never do that - once it starts it often never stops.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The warmest air in the plume will be going over the UK. We will still feel some of it, for a while. But it won't be completely dry. There will be showery outbreaks in places and some of the showers could be heavy and thundery.

ECU0-96_nec0.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Meanwhile,first proper rain in a month now in Arklow \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Meanwhile,first proper rain in a month now in Arklow \0/

Hate to say it but it's badly needed. The front garden is yellow.

Hate to say it but it's badly needed. The front garden is yellow.

I know I'm repeating myself, but that's unbelievable! The difference 70 or 80 miles make. My garden is like a swamp the last 2 weeks

Met Eireann shows lots of rain but it is struggling to fall here! Only 0.6mm so far - seems the same at the 3 Dublin weather stations.

I can easily live with brown grass for another two months!

Cannot believe folk wishing for rain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Very mediocre last few days, dull and wet for most of day in West Cork. :( Looking forward to some warmer, if not drier, weather next week. :)

Cannot believe folk wishing for rain

The same people will be hoping for sunshine after one or two days of rain. Unless their farmers, there's no excuse for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Winters night here in South Armagh wind howling and lashing down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Drizzly stuff, was hoping for better than this, come on!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The same people will be hoping for sunshine after one or two days of rain. Unless their farmers, there's no excuse for it!

Anyone that has any interest in gardening or veg growing in the SE is crying out for rain at the moment, the last few weeks have been arid.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Drizzly stuff, was hoping for better than this, come on!

Rain rate currently up to 15mm/hr 35miles down the road
    8.8 total so far and rising :)
    Was windy all day but not since rain started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Always a good indication as to how wet or dry the weather has been is the promenade in Clontarf, it was yellow tonight...

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Always a good indication as to how wet or dry the weather has been is the promenade in Clontarf, it was yellow tonight...

Long may it remain so! :)

Light rain continues to fall, 1mm so far....

Met Eireann shows lots of rain but it is struggling to fall here! Only 0.6mm so far - seems the same at the 3 Dublin weather stations.

Ah it won't kill you to have some wet days,agriculture employs a lot of people and it's needed,you should never take for granted or allow the love of extreme weather cloud the effort that goes into food and one thing that's essential to grow it-water whether it's the lack of it or too much of it

Rain rate currently up to 15mm/hr 35miles down the road
    8.8 total so far and rising :)
    Was windy all day but not since rain started

Send that here please!

Supercell wrote: »
    Send that here please!
    I think it's being deflected ne to sea by the mountains

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lashing rain outside but almost 16C and it's nearly midnight, very warm for this type of weather. Really enjoying the 20C+ conditons over past 2 weeks, long may it continue. First noticeable rain that wets the ground that ive seen in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Is it just me or has Tuesday's alleged heatwave all but disappeared from the charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The heatwave potential has diminished,as has the widespread thunderstorm potential.it may get warm in inland eastern/southern areas for a day or two.it will be generally cloudy with out breaks of rain,particularly in western areas with potential for thundery showers in the east.the real heatwave is reserved for the UK i.e sunny and hot.any heat here will be flushed out by next weekend as the core of the heat retreats back to Spain,France.southern uk will also hold on to the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Grows grass for my cows.

Greens the place up.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Grows grass for my cows.

Greens the place up.

Sorry, I cannot empathise with the rain wanters. It is especially ironic when most of the folk here are complaining about how wet June has been and want some dry summer weather!

Gardeners can use a hose.

As for farmers, what farmers are we talking about? No many in Dublin :cool:

The good news (thus far) is that the rain is not yet, at this late hour, materialising at this location.

All good :)

Advertisement