Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I got ate here last week for saying 21c is warm. Now people can't sleep with the heat at 24c? I bet the Spanish can sleep in 24c so it musnt be hot.

Sorry but there is no way it has been 24 degrees at night.

I was in Dun Laoghaire today and it was 20 at best with quite a cool breeze.

Pleasant yes, but again not really warm. Found it bizzare to see lots of local teenagers going around in their t-shirts and very short shorts.

And your point about the Spanish....why don't you get it? No other country would people be going around near naked in 20 degrees. It's truly laughable and embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Last night it got down only to 8C here in clear calm conditions.

As for sleepless nights, I think any minimum of 15/16C after a hot day would do the trick; it would still be near 20C at midnight.

The highest minimum I've ever recorded in Dublin is 19C - and that was only twice; 17C is common in very warm summers - which of course are not that common!

I can safely say there was never a min of 24C in Ireland, ever.

Its 17C now at 00.20 am....

I was on some farm/forest roads in Tullamore yesterday and clouds of dust rose behind the cars, ground like rock; grass not as brown as here in SE Dublin but it certainly doesn't seem to have had any significant rain in weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I can safely say there was never a min of 24C in Ireland, ever.

We were talking about the max day temps being 24c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pretty sure I had a min of 20.2c in the 2013 heatwave here in Clare. Not quite 24c but wow I found it hard to sleep that night. Humidity was also quite high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I wouldn't be quoting personal stations in gardens, etc. when it comes to mimima in warm weather. Walls, buildings, driveways, etc. will radiate stored heat for hours after sunset and lead to false warm minima. Only properly-sited stations should be quoted.

Having said that, Shannon Airport is not one of these. Its temperature readings remain too high on warm nights as the sensors are located right beside a massive tarmac carpark and a building just to its north (meaning a hot south-facing wall radiating heat). Gurteen, Claremorris, Oak Park and Dublin Airport are the best stations that I have seen, sited away from all sources of false heat.

FWVT wrote: »
    Dublin Airport...the best stations that I have seen, sited away from all sources of false heat.

In the case of DA when they moved it they seemed to have relocated it in a frost hollow!

In the case of DA when they moved it they seemed to have relocated it in a frost hollow!

No they didn't. We've done this debate to death and it is actually perfectly sited, as per official guidelines. It is on level ground, surrounded by acres of grass. The only difference is that it is the only station in the country in an area of rendzina soil. This area spreads across most of north Co. Dublin but does not extend to nearby Casement, Phoenix Park or Dunsany stations. I am from that area and have confirmed lower temperatures reported at Dublin during early clear evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

How is July looking for good weather?

Same as June. A mix of overcast, rain and sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It'll be sunny at 2 o'clock but will rain bit on the Tuesday but sunny again on the Saturday after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Hi all

Is anyone who deals with allergies, seasonal or not, finding they're suffering badly the past few weeks? I am in bits, the dustmite being my worst enemy but in general I am wondering if the congestion and two week cold I have just suffered through could be down to the weather also....pollen isn't meant to be a strong contender for me, but I am having my doubts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Lovely chart this if it came off, some big thunderstorms (and very badly needed rain!) would be very likely. A long way off though.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015062400/ECM1-192.GIF?24-12

Lovely chart this if it came off, some big thunderstorms (and very badly needed rain!) would be very likely. A long way off though.

Badly needed rain? What part of the Country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well nw winds have eased meaning our weather is no longer coming from the only cold spot left on earth I.e. greenland

Hence even though crap weather continues it will be humid close n sticky n muggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally signs of a pattern change on the models today, plenty of heat and thunderstorms to kick off July if tonight's ECMWF is anything to go by, GFS also hinting at 'heatwave' type temperatures with thundery breakdowns. Something to watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yeah I would go along with that. Major change on the way. Get the t-shirts and bbq ready for next week. I can almost feel the heat coming off the screen.

Recm1442.gif

On that basis, and it won't be exactly like that of course, we would be looking at high twenties and even possibly touching 30 in some favored inland spots and the northwest.

Another thing is muggy nights. 16 degree minima anyone?

Don't see this every summer!

Recm1682.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Yeah I would go along with that. Major change on the way. Get the t-shirts and bbq ready for next week. I can almost feel the heat coming off the screen.

Recm1442.gif

On that basis, and it won't be exactly like that of course, we would be looking at high twenties and even possibly touching 30 in some favored inland spots and the northwest.

Another thing is muggy nights. 16 degree minima anyone?

Don't see this every summer!

Recm1682.gif

Let's start praying :)

I only hope we can get to the heat without any "badly needed rain" :rolleyes:

Another totally dry day here, 19th in a row.

19th in a row pff. Here in west Clare we had heavy drissle this morning/afternoon but the cloud burned off and by 4pm it was great out very warm.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    19th in a row pff. Here in west Clare we had heavy drissle this morning/afternoon but the cloud burned off and by 4pm it was great out very warm.

You had drissle for 19 days in a row?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yes please. Some FI teases of mid-20's+ and the chance of thundery outbreaks.

YGDgEpB.png

You had drissle for 19 days in a row?! ;)

Haha no, not far off though :)

I was referring to your 19th day of dry.

YGDgEpB.png

And they're 850 hPa temperatures!!:D

YGDgEpB.png

Mid twenties? More like high twenties/low thirties if something like that came off. Of course we all know it won't be that hot by the time this is nailed down probably.

Here in limerick we have had a good lashing of rain almost every 2 days since that nice week we got in early April. I feel like im in a different country reading some of the reports here.

If that chart came off (Which it wont) could we see a breaking of the 33.3c record?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    If that chart came off (Which it wont) could we see a breaking of the 33.3c record?

No, it is highly unlikely. 850 hPa temperatures of 14-17 °C in that setup would translate to around 28-29 °C in the midlands if cloud-cover was low. It would most likely be a hazy muggy flow with some showers sparking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Plume has shifted a bit further east on the latest ECMWF. Would be very hot in the south in the England if that comes off. Below is the record setting day in 2003 when a temperature of 38.5 was recorded in Kent, below that is the current ECM for 168 hours...Still all FI-land stuff of course and subject to further change blah blah

archives-2003-8-10-0-1.png
    XLpNfWW.gif

• Advertisement

Everything shifted a little east on the latest ECM but still very warm for the inland east and south all the same. Could still get mid 20's even if the ECM came off.

GFS is the warmest (or hot) and thunderstorms would be highly likely as well. But it's a bit on it's own now.

Advertisement