Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Sorry, I cannot empathise with the rain wanters. It is especially ironic when most of the folk here are complaining about how wet June has been and want some dry summer weather!

Gardeners can use a hose.

As for farmers, what farmers are we talking about? No many in Dublin :cool:

The good news (thus far) is that the rain is not yet, at this late hour, materialising at this location.

All good :)

There are plenty of farmers in Dublin, especially in the north of the county, where it's a huge industry. It's not funny to be in a situation where your livelihood is being affected after a few weeks with no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thanks to high dew point temperatures, it should "feel" as warm as 29 on Tuesday in places, though the actually air temperature will be no higher than around 24 at most.

nmmuk-47-63-0_pqu7.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Did everyone get the rain they were hoping for last night? Hopefully so! Cracking morning here in Limerick, not a cloud in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Got 14mms in Arklow and it looks like the ground sucked up every bit

As for views verging on supporting no rain from June to September blizzards from november to April and tornadoes until May
    I just laugh tbh or ignore mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sure, blizzards and tornados.

People support no rain and I'm one of them. I hate it personally when its misting every 2nd day, its awful and prevents people from doing any outside work from walking to cutting the grass.

I don't understand how people want the weather to change everyday. When its windy and rainy, people want sun and calm, the minute its sunny and calm and people want rain again, then people want sunny and warm again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Got 6.2mm of rain, most of the rain was north of Kilkenny.
    Should get more this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

After an uncommonly cold spring, the weather now in June, is just delightful and the forecast is good.

A heat wave, is promised for Wednesday, 1st July. Lovely weather for the start of Wimbledon 2015. [Monday]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cycling 100k of the Grand Canal on Tuesday, will have to remember the sunscreen...

A heatwave is 5 consecutive days of temperatures at least 5 degrees above normal. We will not get that, but it will be nice alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Kalman wrote: »
    After an uncommonly cold spring, the weather now in June, is just delightful and the forecast is good.

A heat wave, is promised for Wednesday, 1st July. Lovely weather for the start of Wimbledon 2015. [Monday]

I wouldn't really call it a heatwave. It looks like being a few days of warm, muggy, humid weather. Some places will get up around the mid-20s for a day or two while other places will struggle to get warmer than high teens. Expect showery and at times heavy and thundery rain too. it will be very pleasant in places at times but just don't expect blue skies everywhere!
    A different story over in England though, they will be getting proper hot weather, into the 30's in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

RobertKK wrote: »
    Got 6.2mm of rain, most of the rain was north of Kilkenny.
    Should get more this week.

Just 2.6mm here in over the border in Laois. On top of the 3.0mm on Thursday night it's very little considering the relative warmth and breeze that is sucking what little moisture there is out of the ground. Grass is yellowing and at the edges is burning.

I wouldn't really call it a heatwave. It looks like being a few days of warm, muggy, humid weather. Some places will get up around the mid-20s for a day or two while other places will struggle to get warmer than high teens. Expect showery and at times heavy and thundery rain too. it will be very pleasant in places at times but just don't expect blue skies everywhere!
    A different story over in England though, they will be getting proper hot weather, into the 30's in places.

That will do ! I just love the warm days.

30's in places! There's the potential for a heat-wave next week. It does look like continental Europe is going to turn increasingly hot.

. "This does bring the risk of thunderstorms and it will be humid. So it's not necessarily a pleasant heat - not everyone likes it.

"There's a period in the second half of next week where there's a chance we will be knocking on the door of 30C or so. Proper summer warmth.

Just beautiful. I can live with that! :)

Where exactly are you, because if you're in Ireland then you in for a disappointment. Those quotes do not refer to here

FWVT wrote: »
    Where exactly are you, because if you're in Ireland then you in for a disappointment. Those quotes do not refer to here

The West Country.

Monday will be a hazy day with temperatures of 18-20 degrees. The weather will get warmer on Tuesday and temperatures are set to reach 22 degrees.

The real warm weather from the south is due to arrive on Wednesday, bringing temperatures between 20-25 degrees across Ireland

The West Country.

Monday will be a hazy day with temperatures of 18-20 degrees. The weather will get warmer on Tuesday and temperatures are set to reach 22 degrees.

The real warm weather from the south is due to arrive on Wednesday, bringing temperatures between 20-25 degrees across Ireland

So not Ireland then. Sorry, I am on the phone so not sure if your location is on your profile.

FWVT wrote: »
    So not Ireland then. Sorry, I am on the phone so not sure if your location is on your profile.

On Holiday !

Another cloudy, breezy day. Dissapointed after a beautiful morning. Great for drying but thats about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Did everyone get the rain they were hoping for last night? Hopefully so! Cracking morning here in Limerick, not a cloud in the sky.

Well I certainly got as much rain as I was hoping for - a total last night of 1.8mm! :)

Nice warm dry day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a total of 8mm over the past few days, it has brought a little bit of life back into the garden.
    Meanwhile, I think I'll keep a bale of briquettes on stand by just in case!
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015062812/gfs-1-186.png?12

a total of 8mm over the past few days, it has brought a little bit of life back into the garden. Meanwhile, I think I'll keep a bale of briquettes on stand by just in case!

This might sound really stupid, but how come if I water my plants they're grand, but a bit of rainfall makes them grow mad. Do the chemicals in our tap water effect the plants some how?

• Advertisement

And also, how do ye messure the rainfall?

It's easy. However, you need a rain gauge, which is a device[ usually glass] with a wide measured funnel to collect the rainfall. There are markings on the gauge to indicate how much water there is in there>>i.e., 1inch/ 2inch etc, etc.

Kalman wrote:
    It's easy. However, you need a rain gauge, which is a device[ usually glass] with a wide measured funnel to collect the rainfall. There are markings on the gauge to indicate how much water there is in there>>i.e., 1inch/ 2inch etc, etc.

But I'd get a different measurement than someone else if I used a different sized glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Why isn't there any rain? My garden is rock hard. :-(
    When do ye think we will get some real wetting down through the soil?
    (Dublin area)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a weather station, the Davis vantage pro2.
    One of the best things I ever bought.

But I'd get a different measurement than someone else if I used a different sized glass?

Not really, if your container was really small, then you would need to measure at frequent intervals that's all.

Measuring rainfall was a part of my work. I then logged the results for future reference.
    Most rain gauges generally measure the precipitation in millimetres.
    The level of rainfall is sometimes reported as inches or centimetres.

Anyone know the forecast for the waterford area tomorrow? Different weather sites completely contradicting each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Anyone know the forecast for the waterford area tomorrow? Different weather sites completely contradicting each other.

Go with Met Eireann - they are the best bet.

And I notice they are giving 24C for the Limerick area by Tuesday :)

1 mm is 1 litre/sq. m. If you know the area of your funnel and the diameter of the container is the same then the depth of water in it will be your rainfall.

If the funnel is a different diameter then you need to take volumes into account. Modern tipping bucket rain gauges work on this principle. They are calibrated to tip every time one of the small buckets on a see-saw type mechanism fills with usually an equivalent of 0.1 mm

• Advertisement

And I notice they are giving 24C for the Limerick area by Tuesday

About time! :-) Hopefully the breeze either goes away or gets warmer. Thanks, Checked met.ie but couldn't find anything about South East. Just want to know if there is rain due there or not.

Advertisement