Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUMMER WEATHER 2015 -GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Carnacalla wrote:
    Fact is "forecasting" is guess work, full stop. No 24hours, no 2hours. It's educated guess work though (unless of course your that James Madden fella).

Yes but the guess work gets increasingly less accurate past the 24 hour mark.
    I know nothing about it but I'd say if you put a satellite image in front of me I'd predict the next 12 hours as well as any pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To paraphrase I've known heatwaves and you sir are no heatwave.

Even an old cynical fecker like me is surprised by the damp dull misty muck that is there this morning.....

Jeez I haven't seen a sky as dark as this in a while. Horrible wet, windy morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Jeez I haven't seen a sky as dark as this in a while. Horrible wet, windy morning.

Where are you?

Beautiful summers morning here in (south) Dublin. Just reached 21.0c now with clear blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hehe here in west Clare its sunny and 24c :)
    Very windy though so it takes a lot of the heat away

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote:
    Beautiful summers morning here in (south) Dublin. Just reached 21.0c now with clear blue skies.

Limerick. Heavey black clouds, drizzle and 15c I know it's only 9am but I can't see it clearing up. Think I'll be going to Dublin for my holidays this year, ye seem to be getting a great few weeks

Limerick. Heavey black clouds, drizzle and 15c I know it's only 9am but I can't see it clearing up. Think I'll be going to Dublin for my holidays this year, ye seem to be getting a great few weeks

Only up the road!
    I can see a few nasty (and very very thick) clouds in that direction alright.

Carnacalla wrote:
    Hehe here in west Clare its sunny and 24c Very windy though so it takes a lot of the heat away

Just checked met and the west is supposed to be cloudy until this evening. Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

its dull and wet in Cork City this morning - but on top of that it's mild and humid - the worst combination :(

Fine morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hehe here in west Clare its sunny and 24c :)
    Very windy though so it takes a lot of the heat away

It couldn't be 24c before 9am anywhere in Ireland, what sort of thermometer are you using, it's position etc?
    Meanwhile dull and dreary in Arklow as expected in a southerly off the Irish sea
    There is land due south but go a few miles due south and its sea

Carnacalla wrote:
    Fine morning.

Are you just trying to rub it in! :-(

It couldn't be 24c before 9am anywhere in Ireland, what sort of thermometer are you using, it's position etc?
    Meanwhile dull and dreary in Arklow as expected in a southerly off the Irish sea
    There is land due south but go a few miles due south and its sea

Cheap aldi thermometer but in a shaded and windless area and I usually find it to be quite accurate. When I say 24c i rounded frkn 23.8c, which has now taken a fine tumble to 22.3c.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Stunning to see what looked like Lenticular clouds over south Dublin this morning. An amazing start to the day, 19 degrees at 0900.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

21 degrees in Dublin Airport at 9am, it's going to be a hot one. Looks like the monthly rainfall for Dublin airport was 14.1 mm extremely dry month here.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Cheap aldi thermometer but in a shaded and windless area and I usually find it to be quite accurate. When I say 24c i rounded frkn 23.8c, which has now taken a fine tumble to 22.3c.
    I don't agree
    It's not accurate, couldn't be,at that hour shortly after 8am, 24c is impossible
    It might be possible after a few days strongest sunshine alright with high overnight temps

Having said that anywhere well inland that's lucky enough to get prolonged Sun should see a 25 or 26 later today
    Temp in Arklow currently 16.7c in wind off the sea and dull dreary cloud that warm upper flow is scooping up off said sea

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Stunning to see what looked like Lenticular clouds over south Dublin this morning. An amazing start to the day, 19 degrees at 0900.

Aye, that's the mountains over which the breeze is traveling disappating the cloud and foehning land heat
    Prime area for a 25 or 26 or even a 27 today as long as breeze doesn't back off the sea
    enjoy

Met.ie is saying it's partial cloud with some sun and 18c . They can't even get the current weather right. It's bucketing down, and need to wear a jumper.

Met.ie visible Sat pic showing clearly the effect of the Kerry mountains and the Wicklow mountains clearing cloud cover to the north of them
    Land track clearing from drying looks likely in the Midlands too
    Due south of me 100's of miles of unfettered sea scooped muck :D

www.Met.ie select visible Sat pic (other websites are available:D)

Met.ie is saying it's partial cloud with some sun and 18c . They can't even get the current weather right. It's bucketing down, and need to wear a jumper.

Im up near ennis now, looks like rain is around and looks horrific towards Shannon/Limerick.

Few breaks in cloud emerging here, hopefully it may clear a little with the rising temps.

• Advertisement

You need to look at their regional forecast for Munster where they mention patchy rain near the south coast

You need to look at their regional forecast for Munster where they mention patchy rain near the south coast

I'm nowhere near the South coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

"cloudier further west and near parts of the south coast with patchy rain or drizzle at times"

Are you west?

Where are you then? They are forecasting rain near Munster coasts not just the south coast

Connaught regional also rain in coastal areas

I have the settings on the app set for Limerick. It says it's fair with 18c. Couldn't be further from the truth. Im in east county Limerick

I have the settings on the app set for Limerick. It says it's fair with 18c. Couldn't be further from the truth. Im in east county Limerick

What app? Is that forecast or current conditions, I suspect the latter and its taking a reading from Shannon?

An hour and a half ago you said limericks city
    The met Eireann forecast is accurate for there if it's raining as limericks city is west coast Munster, I have been there :D

Edit I see you said limerick then not the city but still I would suggest you use the regional forecast by met eireann and not some aul app it's more accurate
    You're not going to get a townland by townland forecast unless you pay for it but a broader view of coastal west Munster would include all of limerick in my book
    I do see the Kerry mtns breaking up that cloud further west though ironically
    Won't happen when the front comes in though I suspect

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see Phoenix Park is reporting 23c at 1000. 21.3c here atm.

Edit I see you said limerick then not the city but still I would suggest you use the regional forecast by met eireann and not some aul app it's more accurate You're not going to get a townland by townland forecast unless you pay for it but a broader view of coastal west Munster would include all of limericks in my book I do see the Kerry lynx breaking up that cloud further west though ironically Won't happen when the front comes in though I suspect

Im using the Met.ie app, very same as the website. I'm about 15 miles from the city so I cant imagine it's any different in there. Current conditions I'm looking at and it couldn't be more wrong. I'll wait till 2 or 3pm before I get too upset about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

One thing surprising me is how breezy it is here in S.Kildare. Didn't expect that just reading the ME national summary for today. Even if this miserable cloud cover ever clears off I don't see how it's going to feel too nice out, unless the wind dies off later.

Advertisement