Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stainalert wrote: »
    Did Munster rugby edit this? Saw the comments in the Irish Times this morning. Completely agree with him. This has been happening to loads of different clubs all season.

In what way? Corkery's comments? He was interviewed after the game by Aofie Danagher for the IT. MR did a match report as is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

phog wrote: »
    In what way? Corkery's comments? He was interviewed after the game by Aofie Danagher for the IT. MR did a match report as is the norm.

I don't see any quotes from Corkery in the links provided above.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Did Munster rugby edit this? Saw the comments in the Irish Times this morning. Completely agree with him. This has been happening to loads of different clubs all season.
    I don't see any quotes from Corkery in the links provided above.

David Corkery's comments were never on that link. It's just a match report.

David Corkery's comments were never on that link. It's just a match report.

Okay my mistake - Lost Sheep commented on Corkery's quotes and provided a link to the match report and I obviously came to the wrong assumption

Okay my mistake - Lost Sheep commented on Corkery's quotes and provided a link to the match report and I obviously came to the wrong assumption

I made the same mistake the first time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RuPi

Much change happening at other provines player or coach wise? Had heard MacNamarra had got offered a post with Leinster. Is Corkery likely to stay with Young Munster? He has done a really good job.

In Ulster, Malone have a new head coach and have brought Mark McCrea in from Jersey which you would imagine will make a difference on the pitch in 2A.
    City of Derry may look for a new coach as Terry McMaster said he would only take it on for a year as a stop gap but given how well they did this season, he may be convinced to keep it on.
    Rainey are apparently looking a new coach and Harlequins have appointed a new coaching team.

Player wise some academy players were assigned and the rest were offered to all 1B and 2A clubs, players had to make their choice by last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

RuPi wrote: »
    Much change happening at other provines player or coach wise? Had heard MacNamarra had got offered a post with Leinster. Is Corkery likely to stay with Young Munster? He has done a really good job.

In Ulster, Malone have a new head coach and have brought Mark McCrea in from Jersey which you would imagine will make a difference on the pitch in 2A.
    City of Derry may look for a new coach as Terry McMaster said he would only take it on for a year as a stop gap but given how well they did this season, he may be convinced to keep it on.
    Rainey are apparently looking a new coach and Harlequins have appointed a new coaching team.

Player wise some academy players were assigned and the rest were offered to all 1B and 2A clubs, players had to make their choice by last weekend.

I think Corkery is due to finish up with YM, he's done a really good job there since coming in but I'd say he'll go back to Con or look for something in Cork. Don't know who YM have lined up to replace him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

RuPi wrote: »

Players were offered to clubs? Is this a new system? Haven't heard of it before. Very interesting.

Is the player movement deadline 1st or 30th June? I'd imagine a lot of the work is done behind the scenes. I really wish people announced player transfers it takes so long to find out.

Wouldn't foresee a huge amount of change in coaches in 1A.

What is the rumour in relation to McNamara? Academy role?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Players were offered to clubs? Is this a new system? Haven't heard of it before. Very interesting.

Is the player movement deadline 1st or 30th June? I'd imagine a lot of the work is done behind the scenes. I really wish people announced player transfers it takes so long to find out.

Players have been 'offered' to clubs in Ulster for before. Same with other provinces. In Munster players have been told which clubs to go to
    Some are assigned to clubs....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Interesting comments from Fanning in that link.

Could the provinces scrap the B&I and just enter teams into the AIL?

Or would they be too good for the league?

Players have been 'offered' to clubs in Ulster for before. Same with other provinces. In Munster players have been told which clubs to go to
    Some are assigned to clubs....

Officially? I now academy/development coaches point certain players in the direction of clubs but the above sounds like a draft type situation.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Interesting comments from Fanning in that link.

Could the provinces scrap the B&I and just enter teams into the AIL?

Or would they be too good for the league?
    The provinces wouldnt be scrapping the B&I and just withdrawing and i dont see why clubs would want to have academy/provincial teams competing in the AIL against them
    UCD have had lots of academy players yet never been 'too good for the league' but i dont see full academy teams wanted by clubs.
    Officially? I now academy/development coaches point certain players in the direction of clubs but the above sounds like a draft type situation.
    I could be wrong or getting mixed up with scottish sides or others but fairly sure there is some sort of draft system in Ulster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The provinces wouldnt be scrapping the B&I and just withdrawing and i dont see why clubs would want to have academy/provincial teams competing in the AIL against them
    UCD have had lots of academy players yet never been 'too good for the league' but i dont see full academy teams wanted by clubs.

Yeah I could see the clubs not wanting it but it could work out better attendance wise for them if it did happen.

As far as I know the B&I Cup is there so the provinces can have an A side but it seems to be creating as many problems as solutions for the A side players. That's why I was thinking of creating a provincial A sides that would play in the AIL and not the B&I. Then they could get plenty of game time in a set team environment and there'd be no players left in limbo between the club and academy set up.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah I could see the clubs not wanting it but it could work out better attendance wise for them if it did happen.

As far as I know the B&I Cup is there so the provinces can have an A side but it seems to be creating as many problems as solutions for the A side players. That's why I was thinking of creating a provincial A sides that would play in the AIL and not the B&I. Then they could get plenty of game time in a set team environment and there'd be no players left in limbo between the club and academy set up.
    Would it result in better attendances for the clubs and why would clubs want to lose out on significant players to teams competing against them?
    Some in clubs dont like the B&I set up but how does having provincial teams compete in AIL help the clubs? They would instead lose players for whole season instead of 1 off games.
    Clubs already feel disenfranchised with losing players regularly to A games etc.
    Having full time provincial teams in league against clubs makes this even worse. Having the A teams in current format gives more games for players. They can get regular rugby with their club in AIL, and move up to provincial A games. Yes there is clashes but there's only limited number of weekends.

Would it result in better attendances for the clubs and why would clubs want to lose out on significant players to teams competing against them?
    Some in clubs dont like the B&I set up but how does having provincial teams compete in AIL help the clubs? They would instead lose players for whole season instead of 1 off games.
    Clubs already feel disenfranchised with losing players regularly to A games etc.
    Having full time provincial teams in league against clubs makes this even worse. Having the A teams in current format gives more games for players. They can get regular rugby with their club in AIL, and move up to provincial A games. Yes there is clashes but there's only limited number of weekends.

Agree with most of that. Would prefer to see short A team burst. i.e. at the start of the season during Leinster League and during the anticipated Dec/Jan shut down of the AIL in an inter pro type format. B&I doesn't work, I was interested to read the Thornley article where he eluded to Fannings comments which I hadn't seen previously. It backs up a lot of what I have heard from other players in regards to them not seeing the value in B&I.

A teams in the AIL wouldn't work. They would need 35 - 50 players and have nowhere near enough in the academies for that. They already supplement the B&I squads with clubs players. So A teams in the AIL would just reduce the quality of the clubs.

Great to see players being recognized. Hard to disagree with any of that. Delighted for Woody, Mick and Joey.

Was there not a club of the year award? I had heard rumours it was going to Mary's which I found very odd.

Great to see players being recognized. Hard to disagree with any of that. Delighted for Woody, Mick and Joey.

Was there not a club of the year award? I had heard rumours it was going to Mary's which I found very odd.

Don't think they have a club of the year award but Marys won the Leinster club of the year award which seems to have a very odd selection process!

12 clubs spread across all the rewards which is a pretty good spread

Decent result for Deasy to get the top points award given Lansdowne didn't make top 4

Don't think they have a club of the year award but Marys won the Leinster club of the year award which seems to have a very odd selection process!

Decent result for Deasy to get the top points award given Lansdowne didn't make top 4

That's obviously what I am mixing it up with. Mary's are a great club but hardly a great year for them overall.

Agree on the spread, some clubs and players really are doing great things at the moment and great to see recognition given to that. I have to say Ulster Bank have really done a great job over the last few years as well.

In fairness, Deasy is easily the most experienced OH in the league and the most composed/best kicker. I think any club would bite your hand off if you offered him to them (not that you would!!).

• Advertisement

What do you think is odd with selection process of club of year in Leinster awards?
    That's obviously what I am mixing it up with. Mary's are a great club but hardly a great year for them overall.

Agree on the spread, some clubs and players really are doing great things at the moment and great to see recognition given to that. I have to say Ulster Bank have really done a great job over the last few years as well.

In fairness, Deasy is easily the most experienced OH in the league and the most composed/best kicker. I think any club would bite your hand off if you offered him to them (not that you would!!).
    Senior club of year award is for more than how AIL side did. Marys junior sides i assume also were successful winning a trophy or two so....

What do you think is odd with selection process of club of year in Leinster awards?

Senior club of year award is for more than how AIL side did. Marys junior sides i assume also were successful winning a trophy or two so....

Yea you would think but I'm pretty sure Tarf have acquitted themselves pretty well at most levels this year and would stack up pretty well in comparison to Marys.

Lansdowne won the AIL last season along with the Fraser McMullan as well as several junior trophies including a J2 double and yet Old Wesley got the best club award - not bitter !

Yea you would think but I'm pretty sure Tarf have acquitted themselves pretty well at most levels this year and would stack up pretty well in comparison to Marys.

Lansdowne won the AIL last season along with the Fraser McMullan as well as several junior trophies including a J2 double and yet Old Wesley got the best club award - not bitter !
    Its going to vary year on year. You wont have and cant have a criteria to be met for this award tbh and it would be completely unrealistic to have one. Like how do you decide on a criteria.

Its going to vary year on year. You wont have and cant have a criteria to be met for this award tbh and it would be completely unrealistic to have one. Like how do you decide on a criteria.

Marys have not had a good year through the club by their standards let alone by inter club standards. I wasn't saying it as how did we not win it, although I would have thought we were the standout club with growth in womens rugby, launching disabled rugby, winning the AIL, a number of junior cup/league wins and roughly 10 underage trophies. I would have though Terenure as a club had a better year then Marys as well as another example or Trinity even.

YM Coaching ticket for next season
    GEAROID Prendergast is set to take over as head coach at Young Munster next season following David Corkery’s departure from Greenfields.

Prendergast, who was most recently head coach and assistant coach at UL-Bohemian, has previously spent 12 years at Clifford Park, both as a player and coach.

Prendergast, brother of Mike, the former Munsters’ Director of Rugby and current backs coach at Top14 side Grenoble, is looking forward to the challenge ahead.

Prendergast’s backroom team at Young Munster next season will also include Munster out-half Ian Keatley, John Staunton and current captain Ger Slattery.

Nucifora replies to Corkery's rant
    Disappointingly, the Munster Senior Cup final, originally scheduled for April 9th, was delayed for five weeks, as a result of one fixture being rescheduled seven times, and due to the great success of Cork Constitution in advancing to the Ulster Bank League and Bateman Cup finals.
    It is unfortunate, but entirely an issue for those involved in rescheduling this delayed fixture to May 15th, that a contracted player in the Sevens programme was unavailable on the day. The IRFU did not “pull” any players at short notice. – Yours, etc,

That's him told

I respect Nucifora for that.

I respect Nucifora for that.

But Corkery has a point too - the IRFU released some players inside the window of lock down for the 7's program but failed to do so for the Munster Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

But Corkery has a point too - the IRFU released some players inside the window of lock down for the 7's program but failed to do so for the Munster Cup.

That's true but I think the Munster Branch need to be held some bit responsible also, re-scheduling a fixture seven times is a bit crazy.

• Advertisement

If they are paid/contracted to the Sevens program then tbh the IRFU can do what they like, much like the provinces releasing players to the clubs. Rescheduling a fixture 7 times is also an extraordinary occurrence.

Advertisement