Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Stainalert wrote: »
    Looking forward to the games this weekend - Really tough to call the winners

Expect Clontarf to have too much for UCD although If UCD can front up in the pack I think they have a real chance

Munsters and Con is a tricky one - I am going to go with Con purely because they have home advantage but Munsters could very easily turn them over

Expect Ballynahinch to beat Buccaneers (Houdini would be proud) and hoping Trinity can do a job on Ballymena (Will they have many of their Ulster contingent?)

Going with my Leinster hat on hoping for the other games

Rock v Cashel - worried for Rock in this one but hopefully they dig deep and get the result

Banbridge v UCC - UCC outsiders I guess but would be great if they could pull this off

Sunday's Well v Greystones - Hope Stones do the business here

Tullamore v Wanderers - This looks another very tight game but again routing for the Leinster team
    Add your reply here.

I love playoff season. So happy the IRFU brought it back. While the straight league format is how we won our AIL nothing can compare to the excitement of playoffs.

I reckon us against UCD will be an absolute cracker of a game. My heart and head are both saying Tarf win.

I reckon Con will beat YM but I think it'll be incredibly close.

Hinch v Buccs is probably a hinch win in my eyes. If they've a full team they're a good side and have a real ability to win when they really need to.

Trinity v Ballymena - Hard to call lot of time for Trinity and how they play but a Ballymena v Hinch playoff could be great match. I hope one of the Ulster teams are in 1A next year. Always think it's a pity the league is so dominated by Munster and Leinster.

Rock v Cashel. Rock seemed to start well enough to not be in this position. Momentum is huge in these types of games. Can see Rock losing. Weird to see so many of the formerly great clubs struggling so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

Tullamore v Wanderers - This looks another very tight game but again routing for the Leinster team[/QUOTE]

By Leinster team you mean "Dublin" team??
    Such a typical Leinster supporter point of view.
    There are other Leinster teams outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Expect Clontarf to have too much for UCD although If UCD can front up in the pack I think they have a real chance

Munsters and Con is a tricky one - I am going to go with Con purely because they have home advantage but Munsters could very easily turn them over

Expect Ballynahinch to beat Buccaneers (Houdini would be proud) and hoping Trinity can do a job on Ballymena (Will they have many of their Ulster contingent?)

Rock v Cashel - worried for Rock in this one but hopefully they dig deep and get the result

Banbridge v UCC - UCC outsiders I guess but would be great if they could pull this off

Tullamore v Wanderers - This looks another very tight game but again routing for the Leinster team
    Tarf to beat UCD. Have seen UCD play on a few occasions and they're a very good side but cant seen them winning.
    Think Con will beat Munsters. Too much firepower for Cookies to cope.

Which Leinster team are you picking in the final game?
    Don't see Cashel beating Blackrock.
    Think home team will win all the games tbh
    Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I love playoff season. So happy the IRFU brought it back. While the straight league format is how we won our AIL nothing can compare to the excitement of playoffs.

I reckon us against UCD will be an absolute cracker of a game. My heart and head are both saying Tarf win.

Hinch v Buccs is probably a hinch win in my eyes. If they've a full team they're a good side and have a real ability to win when they really need to.

Trinity v Ballymena - Hard to call lot of time for Trinity and how they play but a Ballymena v Hinch playoff could be great match. I hope one of the Ulster teams are in 1A next year. Always think it's a pity the league is so dominated by Munster and Leinster.

Rock v Cashel. Rock seemed to start well enough to not be in this position. Momentum is huge in these types of games. Can see Rock losing. Weird to see so many of the formerly great clubs struggling so badly.
    Blackrock and €€€€ big reason for their fall... They don't have a strong underage and more of the best schools players will go to the bigger/stronger clubs.

Tarf to beat UCD. Have seen UCD play on a few occasions and they're a very good side but cant seen them winning.
    Think Con will beat Munsters. Too much firepower for Cookies to cope.

Which Leinster team are you picking in the final game?
    Don't see Cashel beating Blackrock.
    Think home team will win all the games tbh

Blackrock and €€€€ big reason for their fall... They don't have a strong underage and more of the best schools players will go to the bigger/stronger clubs.
    Add your reply here.

You'd have to be up for Tullamore.

Agree on the Rock stuff. They did a better job this year of getting guys from the school (2nds and 3rds players). I know the majority of last years JCT played U17 in the club. So at least it looks like they trying and getting something right. I don't like seeing what has happened to Rock and Shannon but it is in general all their own doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Actually going to go for both the away teams in a this weekend fancy UCD and The Cookies

Hinch will stay in 1a I think and Rock are in trouble, fancy Tullamore as well

+1 re Blackrock and Shannon totally agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

By Leinster team you mean "Dublin" team??
    Such a typical Leinster supporter point of view.
    There are other Leinster teams outside of Dublin.[/QUOTE]

Whoops yea sorry Dublin - Wanderers are our neighbour club so can't go against them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Going to go with the below this weekend, delighted the union brought back the play offs, this season and last have shown the value of it....
    Tarf should be too good for UCD
    Cons to marginally shade it
    Hinch like others have said on a good run, very difficult to beat up there
    Cashel - fancy Cashel, they are dogged enough to take it
    Banbridge
    Sunday's Well
    Wanderers

Clontarf v Cork Con in 1A final
    1A Semis
    Clontarf 24 UCD 10
    Cork Con 22 Young Munster 16

1A/B playoffs
    Trinity 25 Ballymena 20
    Ballynahinch 41 Buccaneers 19
    Ballynahinch host Trinity next weekend to decide final 1A Spot

1B/2A Playoffs
    Blackrock 24 Cashel 7
    Banbridge 21 UCC 41
    Blackrock host UCC to decide final 1B spot next weekend

2A/2B playoff
    Sundays Well 34 Greystones 22
    Sundays Well in 2A next season

2B/2C playoff
    Tullamore 13 Wanderers 24
    Wanderers in 2B next season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Bangor win Qualifying league play offs and Enniscorthy (runners up) play Sligo for place in Division 2C.

Bangor win Qualifying league play offs and Enniscorthy (runners up) play Sligo for place in Division 2C.
    Long time since Bangor have been a senior club. They were a founding member of the league but dropped to junior around the start of the millennium...
    Sligo, like Connemara before them will struggle with distances involved and being quite isolated out west but id prefer them senior than yet another leinster junior club going up. Hard to predict that game. It being in strandhill id pick Sligo to narrowly win

• Advertisement

Went to YM and Cons, 2 evenly matched teams, in a nutshell Cons managed the game better which is why they won out.

YM tried to play a lot of rugby in their own half where Cons relied on a kick from Quinlan with a good chase to exit, this led to some mistakes by YM this happened both times after they took the lead where they coughed up possession near there own 22 giving scores to Cons.

Cons were dominant in the scrum early on until Betts came on he shored up the scrum, YM dominated the line out taking a few off the Cons throw.

Cons played with a lot of one out runners and had Kindregan and Lawler carry a lot of ball. Quinlan is a very tidy footballer but doesn't attack the line much at all and thought Cons were poor in general moving the ball.

YM just lacked the game management to win it, I remember after they went 9-7 up & the Cons hooker just went to the bin they tried to play the ball out from their own 22 and gave away a penalty and the lead, much better option would be to kick long or find touch especially given the hooker was in the bin. Dan Goggin was excellent for YM would like to see him get a shot for the munster senior side at some stage next season couple of other good performances from Betts, Dee and Lyons.

Felt that if YM had a more experienced 10 they would have won, they had Rob Guerin there who is a very good player but who hasn't played an awful lot of rugby in the last 12 months and even less at out half.

It was a good game overall, standard was high, very good advertisement for the club game, a good crowd reckon at least 2k at it, way more YM supporters who outnumbered the Cons crowd easily.

Looking forward to watching the final, fancy Clontarf to win it out after watching both sides play in recent weeks, would be well deserved felt they have been the best side I have watched all year.

Was at Tarf v UCD

Tarf defended incredibly well with UCD probably having 70 plus % possession after the first 10/15 minutes.

UCD really looked like they lacked the composure and experience to win, lots of poorly timed mistakes. Tarf won the battle at scrum time with Porter and Loughman really not looking all that great. Lineout was fairly evenly competed. While the score line flattered tarf to a certain extent they were far more clinical and dangerous with the ball. Carberry was excellent and looks the real deal. Tarfs pack were incredible in defence in particular the backrow.

13 days to go and the Monday now officially booked off work! God I do love the playoffs regardless of how much agony they have brought us over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Was at Tarf v UCD

Tarf defended incredibly well with UCD probably having 70 plus % possession after the first 10/15 minutes.

UCD really looked like they lacked the composure and experience to win, lots of poorly timed mistakes. Tarf won the battle at scrum time with Porter and Loughman really not looking all that great. Lineout was fairly evenly competed. While the score line flattered tarf to a certain extent they were far more clinical and dangerous with the ball. Carberry was excellent and looks the real deal. Tarfs pack were incredible in defence in particular the backrow.

13 days to go and the Monday now officially booked off work! God I do love the playoffs regardless of how much agony they have brought us over the years.
    Went to YM and Cons, 2 evenly matched teams, in a nutshell Cons managed the game better which is why they won out.

YM tried to play a lot of rugby in their own half where Cons relied on a kick from Quinlan with a good chase to exit, this led to some mistakes by YM this happened both times after they took the lead where they coughed up possession near there own 22 giving scores to Cons.

Cons were dominant in the scrum early on until Betts came on he shored up the scrum, YM dominated the line out taking a few off the Cons throw.

Cons played with a lot of one out runners and had Kindregan and Lawler carry a lot of ball. Quinlan is a very tidy footballer but doesn't attack the line much at all and thought Cons were poor in general moving the ball.

YM just lacked the game management to win it, I remember after they went 9-7 up & the Cons hooker just went to the bin they tried to play the ball out from their own 22 and gave away a penalty and the lead, much better option would be to kick long or find touch especially given the hooker was in the bin. Dan Goggin was excellent for YM would like to see him get a shot for the munster senior side at some stage next season couple of other good performances from Betts, Dee and Lyons.

Felt that if YM had a more experienced 10 they would have won, they had Rob Guerin there who is a very good player but who hasn't played an awful lot of rugby in the last 12 months and even less at out half.

It was a good game overall, standard was high, very good advertisement for the club game, a good crowd reckon at least 2k at it, way more YM supporters who outnumbered the Cons crowd easily.

Looking forward to watching the final, fancy Clontarf to win it out after watching both sides play in recent weeks, would be well deserved felt they have been the best side I have watched all year.

Great reports folks, thanks! Sounds like the Cons game was as close as everyone had anticipated, think you said it yourself turtleshead that Cons cuteness would see them through and it sounds like that was the case.

The final should be an even enough encounter, 'Tarf are favourites and I would be backing them but could Cons 'cuteness' see them snatch it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

I think Con are going to find it tricky - They travel to Galwegians this week for the Bateman Cup final. That will mean the AIL final will be their 4th game in 4 weeks. All high intensity games and I just wonder will it catch up on them next week?

I think Con are going to find it tricky - They travel to Galwegians this week for the Bateman Cup final. That will mean the AIL final will be their 4th game in 4 weeks. All high intensity games and I just wonder will it catch up on them next week?

Very true, plus a very strong 'Tarf side coming off the back of a rest week and hungry to go one further than last season will be extremely hard to beat.

Cons have a busy finish to the season, they have Bateman cup final this weekend (v Weigans), they are in the final of the Munster Junior Cup (v YM) the day after, the senior Cup (v YM or Old Crescent the week after the UBL final likely) and the final of the Munster Under 20 league (again v YM)

All these games will impact the squad as there is a draw on squad players for all these fixtures. Not sure what competitions Clontarf have left but they certainly will have a much quieter schedule so would think that something has to give on the Cons side, regardless of schedule I would fancy Clontarf to win out the league given their form.

Cons have a busy finish to the season, they have Bateman cup final this weekend (v Weigans), they are in the final of the Munster Junior Cup (v YM) the day after, the senior Cup (v YM or Old Crescent the week after the UBL final likely) and the final of the Munster Under 20 league (again v YM)

All these games will impact the squad as there is a draw on squad players for all these fixtures. Not sure what competitions Clontarf have left but they certainly will have a much quieter schedule so would think that something has to give on the Cons side, regardless of schedule I would fancy Clontarf to win out the league given their form.

We've nothing left outside of UBL final

20s wont impact first team but will affect junior cup. Only one or two 20s players have been involved with firsts recently

20s wont impact first team but will affect junior cup. Only one or two 20s players have been involved with firsts recently

Even if they had loads of 20s players playing firsts it would not impact 1st. No chance you'd risk 1st team players.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Was over at Castle Ave on Saturday, reckon 'Tarf deserved it. Despite being starved of possession, they took their chances well. Loughman and Porter didn't have their best days in blue either, both in the loose as well as set-piece.

Really felt the Collidge midfield was missing Smurph, the back line crabbing across the pitch trying to shift the ball to Dardis/Holland got them nowhere in the end.

Thought there was an interesting side-story with Mick McGrath up against Adam Byrne on the flanks. Mick played like a man with a serious point to prove; Byrne was easily second best on the day and was completely marked out of the game.

Side point: McGrath's bulked out a phenomenal amount! The man-bun is less fetching.

• Advertisement

Thoughts on this?
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37352.php#.Vx_Mzk3JDcs

Predictions for Sligo Enniscorthy on Saturday to see who is senior next season?

Thoughts on this?
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37352.php#.Vx_Mzk3JDcs

Predictions for Sligo Enniscorthy on Saturday to see who is senior next season?

Great little idea. I watch the video UB had on FB yesterday and can't believe its now 6 years they're on board. They said they've given €170k to clubs as well which is great to hear.

Don't know anything about Sligo really other than they've a few of the U20s. Enniscorthy have a good side. As a Tarf man we've a few connections down there so will be up for them. Although at the same time it'd be great to see Sligo go up.

Great little idea. I watch the video UB had on FB yesterday and can't believe its now 6 years they're on board. They said they've given €170k to clubs as well which is great to hear.

Don't know anything about Sligo really other than they've a few of the U20s. Enniscorthy have a good side. As a Tarf man we've a few connections down there so will be up for them. Although at the same time it'd be great to see Sligo go up.
    Id prefer Sligo to stay up. Better for the sport to have wide spread of clubs senior particularly out west though a senior club in south east would be very good as well...

Id prefer Sligo to stay up. Better for the sport to have wide spread of clubs senior particularly out west though a senior club in south east would be very good as well...

Ye agree really. Really would be great to see a better Connacht representation but senior Leinster clubs outside of Dublin/close to Dublin are not too many in their number and are probably just as important in the growth of the game. By my reckoning it's only really Boyne and Tullamore for next year without enniscorthy (Excluding Navan/Naas/Barnhall who are all very close to Dublin)

Did anyone watch Bateman Cup final?
    Was at the game but left with 20 minutes or so to go. Con pulled away in the end. Very good game
    Luigi fantastic for wegians but Tomas Quinlan was sublime for Cons.

Trinity beat Ballynahinch 18-9. Trinity go up to 1A and Ballynahinch relegated to 1B
    UCC beat Blackrock 30-28. UCC up to 1B and Blackrock relegated to 2A

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Sligo beat enniscorthy by 2 points to remain senior club. Lead changed hands 4 times in second half. Final play was a try and conversion for sligo. 10 -3 to sligo at half time

Only the 1A final to be played and that's next Sunday.
    Clontarf v Cork Constitution

Division 1A clubs for next season: Clontarf, Cork Constitution, Young Munster, UCD, Garryowen, Old Belvedere, Lansdowne, Terenure College, St. Mary's College, Dublin University

Division 1B clubs for next season: Ballynahinch, Galwegians, Ballymena, Buccaneers, Old Wesley, Shannon, Dolphin, UL Bohemians, Naas, UCC

Division 2A clubs for next season:
    Blackrock College, Belfast Harlequins, Banbridge, Cashel, Nenagh Ormond, Malone, Queen's University, Corinthians, Highfield, Sunday's Well

Division 2B clubs for next season:
    Skerries, Thomond, City of Derry, Greystones, Armagh, MU Barnhall, Dunganon, Bective Rangers, Old Crescent, Wanderers

Division 2C clubs for next season:
    Rainey Old Boys, Seapoint, Tullamore, Bruff, Midleton, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Sligo, Bangor

Only the 1A final to be played and that's next Sunday.
    Clontarf v Cork Constitution

Division 1A clubs for next season: Clontarf, Cork Constitution, Young Munster, UCD, Garryowen, Old Belvedere, Lansdowne, Terenure College, St. Mary's College, Dublin University

Division 1B clubs for next season: Ballynahinch, Galwegians, Ballymena, Buccaneers, Old Wesley, Shannon, Dolphin, UL Bohemians, Naas, UCC

Division 2A clubs for next season:
    Blackrock College, Belfast Harlequins, Banbridge, Cashel, Nenagh Ormond, Malone, Queen's University, Corinthians, Highfield, Sunday's Well

Division 2B clubs for next season:
    Skerries, Thomond, City of Derry, Greystones, Armagh, MU Barnhall, Dunganon, Bective Rangers, Old Crescent, Wanderers

Division 2C clubs for next season:
    Rainey Old Boys, Seapoint, Tullamore, Bruff, Midleton, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Sligo, Bangor

7 strong Dublin clubs in 1A next season, 2 from Limerick and 1 from Cork, you'd imagine that this will seriously favour the clubs from the capital with only 3 trips outside of Dublin over the course of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Was over at Castle Ave on Saturday, reckon 'Tarf deserved it. Despite being starved of possession, they took their chances well. Loughman and Porter didn't have their best days in blue either, both in the loose as well as set-piece.

Really felt the Collidge midfield was missing Smurph, the back line crabbing across the pitch trying to shift the ball to Dardis/Holland got them nowhere in the end.

Thought there was an interesting side-story with Mick McGrath up against Adam Byrne on the flanks. Mick played like a man with a serious point to prove; Byrne was easily second best on the day and was completely marked out of the game.

Side point: McGrath's bulked out a phenomenal amount! The man-bun is less fetching.
    Add your reply here.
    Interesting thoughts, watching Byrne play I wonder if he has the aggression, physically he looks a player but he had little impact in this match.
    As for the final, I'm hoping cons schedule will result in fatigue, Clontarf are justifiable favourites but of all the teams in the UBL it's Con who I fear most, seen too many games with Con where they've nicked victory late into stoppage time.
    With the dryer surface I'd expect carberry to run a lot of ball, would expect Clontarf to have a larger support.
    It's great to have the play offs back. Read somewhere Clontarf have been involved in the playoffs in 8 of the last 10 seasons they've been going.
    One of Clontarfs most popular club Presidents passed away in recent days, this will be an added incentive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Add your reply here.
    Interesting thoughts, watching Byrne play I wonder if he has the aggression, physically he looks a player but he had little impact in this match.
    As for the final, I'm hoping cons schedule will result in fatigue, Clontarf are justifiable favourites but of all the teams in the UBL it's Con who I fear most, seen too many games with Con where they've nicked victory late into stoppage time.
    With the dryer surface I'd expect carberry to run a lot of ball, would expect Clontarf to have a larger support.
    It's great to have the play offs back. Read somewhere Clontarf have been involved in the playoffs in 8 of the last 10 seasons they've been going.
    One of Clontarfs most popular club Presidents passed away in recent days, this will be an added incentive.

Advertisement