Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clontarf win 28-25

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Clontarf win 28-25

I know one boards poster who'll enjoy his day off tomorrow!

Congratulations to 'Tarf, best side over the season, deserved winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Congrats Tarf1234 & Bamboozle. Enjoy the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Well done Tarf, they deserved the win. Thought the ref was poor and Tarfs try before halftime should have been called back due to knock on, he missed a few knock ons not helped by his assistants. Carberry and Darcy were excellent and thought their decision to kick for the corner rather than go for goal near the end was crazy. Fanning cost Con with some very poor kicks in the wrong areas. Entertaining game could have went either way at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Carberry and Darcy were excellent and thought their decision to kick for the corner rather than go for goal near the end was crazy..

That was lunacy of the highest order. At worst, Con were going to kick the ball back to Clontarf who would still be ahead. At best, Con would need a 7 pointer with 4 minutes left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Congrats Clontarf. Up the Bulls.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cracking game, awesome weather, bag of cans in the stands and delighted with a Tarf win. Great day (and night..)

Couldn't help but think the AIL final would suit RDS much better. As loud as the crowd was the atmosphere would be so much better in the rds.

.ak wrote: »
    Cracking game, awesome weather, bag of cans in the stands and delighted with a Tarf win. Great day (and night..)

Couldn't help but think the AIL final would suit RDS much better. As loud as the crowd was the atmosphere would be so much better in the rds.
    No no no. AIL final should be in the national stadium. Ideally all the divisions should have finals and the 5 finals, the all Ireland junior cup and the under 16/18 youths finals should all be played in the Aviva over 2 weekends.

No no no. AIL final should be in the national stadium. Ideally all the divisions should have finals and the 5 finals, the all Ireland junior cup and the under 16/18 youths finals should all be played in the Aviva over 2 weekends.

Agree with you but the IRFU & stadium company are way too precious of the pitch to let that happen

Why?

Like aside from the players saying they got a run out the event itself isn't that appealing to a casual fan who's wondering why it's being played in an empty stadium.

• Advertisement

Why?

Like aside from the players saying they got a run out the event itself isn't that appealing to a casual fan who's wondering why it's being played in an empty stadium.
    These games are the premier games of the club season. The crowd would still be relatively empty in the RDS as well so your point about it appealing to casual fan is null and void.
    The finals of competitions should be played in the provincial grounds and then all Irelands in Lansdowne road.
    Just like Leinster finals should be in Donnybrook. Munster finals in Thomond/Musgrave etc
    Since Thomond Park got redeveloped there has been f** all domestic games played on the main pitch. That is wrong.
    We need to utilise our national rugby stadium. We need to have our best club and underage players get their time to highlight their competitions and get the shot to play on the national ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Clear knockon in the lead up to the 3rd try for Clontarf but missed by the ref and AR. No TMO available either. Bit of a joke from the IRFU to have the final televised but no TMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

phog wrote: »
    Clear knockon in the lead up to the 3rd try for Clontarf but missed by the ref and AR. No TMO available either. Bit of a joke from the IRFU to have the final televised but no TMO.

Don't know if it was "clear" seemed to bobble off a con player coming back on side or off a foot. where the player received the ball in relation to the passer suggests it went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

phog wrote: »

No TMO all year so stick with that I say. If a team missed out on making the final, say, because of a decision that a TMO might have given differently, then it is unfair that a team in the final should then be able to benefit from having a TMO.

Leave it and stick with consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Great weekend, thought it was a great game. I thought the Tarf backs were exceptional. Con set piece was impressive. 7 tries in a final which was won by 3 points couldn't ask for more then that.

Struggling to get back to reality!

Very good analysis of the final from Murray Kinsella

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-clontarf-cork-con-ail-final-2767189-May2016/

Stainalert wrote: »
    Very good analysis of the final from Murray Kinsella

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-clontarf-cork-con-ail-final-2767189-May2016/

Was just gonna post that. Great to see... Must watch the game again, always miss things when watching at the grounds.

I'll just leave this here...

?width=469&version=2767424

Ye really enjoyed that. So glad it was such a great final in terms of standard of rugby with all the eyes on AIL at the moment when compared to recent years.

Shortlist Revealed For Ulster Bank League Awards

http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/37454.php#.VzW-I_krLGg

Was just gonna post that. Great to see... Must watch the game again, always miss things when watching at the grounds.

I'll just leave this here...

?width=469&version=2767424

Great try

Con 10 needed to cover across for the inside ball

• Advertisement

Can't disagree with much on that. Surprise Quinlan got no mention in young player, I think he finished top points scorer. I find the rumours of him being released very odd.

For 1A player and young player I'd go McGrath and Carbery who have both been exceptional. Ger Sla and Timmons would be my 2nd choices who have been so crucial for their clubs

1A coach I'd love to see woody get it and think it would be well deserved but couldn't argue if Corkery got it after his season changing impact. McNamarra would be a good bit behind the 2 of them for me but still think he did a very good job for UCD

Not really qualified to comment on the rest as I haven't seen anything really.

For PRO old Wesley seem to do a great job and deserve it in my eyes.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Can't disagree with much on that. Surprise Quinlan got no mention in young player, I think he finished top points scorer. I find the rumours of him being released very odd.

For 1A player and young player I'd go McGrath and Carbery who have both been exceptional. Ger Sla and Timmons would be my 2nd choices who have been so crucial for their clubs

1A coach I'd love to see woody get it and think it would be well deserved but couldn't argue if Corkery got it after his season changing impact. McNamarra would be a good bit behind the 2 of them for me but still think he did a very good job for UCD

Can't really disagree with any of that. Corkery and Woods decision is a very close one.

I think they do top points scorer based on the regular season and not play-offs and think Scott Deasy (170) may have snuck ahead of Quinlan (163) on that time frame.

Hearing Angus Lloyd going to Ulster next year.

Really not sure how Darcy isn't on the shortlist. So much of what Tarf does goes through him. For me he was motm in the final.

Really not sure how Darcy isn't on the shortlist. So much of what Tarf does goes through him. For me he was motm in the final.

Agree

Can't really disagree with any of that. Corkery and Woods decision is a very close one.

I think they do top points scorer based on the regular season and not play-offs and think Scott Deasy (170) may have snuck ahead of Quinlan (163) on that time frame.

Hearing Angus Lloyd going to Ulster next year.

Probably the fairest way to do it. Deasy is a seriously class act.

Angus Lloyd is a good baller was always surprised he never moved to 1A. Wouldn't be a bad move from Ulster but not sure if he would get anything out of it. He'll never get past Marshall or Pienaar and himself and Shanahan would be left battle it out for the game time left over after them.

Have heard a few people saying that. I thought he was exceptional and was 50/50 between himself and Carbery for MOTM.

For me he is probably the best ball playing midfielder in the AIL, certainly the most dangerous.

Con won Munster senior cup beating Munsters today.
    Interesting comments by Cookies coach David Corkery about player availability .....
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news/22602.php#.VzfEY4-cHIV

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Totally agree with Corkery happening more and more throughout the season now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Interesting comments by Cookies coach David Corkery about player availability .....
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Totally agree with Corkery happening more and more throughout the season now

Corkery said the lads were called up for a training camp for the 7s tournament.
    It’s a f**king disgrace, for players for have missed this game for a f**king Irish 7s training camp, after what we have gone through all year, a f**king disgrace, and you can quote me on that 100 per cent.

The IRFU need to a have a serious look at themselves in the mirror. They pulled some of the Cons boys for a Under-20s practice game so if that’s how they treat the Munster Senior Cup, with 100 years history then they need to seriously ****ing look at themselves.

• Advertisement

Did Munster rugby edit this? Saw the comments in the Irish Times this morning. Completely agree with him. This has been happening to loads of different clubs all season.

Advertisement