Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

playoffs only came back in for 2014/15 season

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

7 strong Dublin clubs in 1A next season, 2 from Limerick and 1 from Cork, you'd imagine that this will seriously favour the clubs from the capital with only 3 trips outside of Dublin over the course of the season.

How long will it be before Munster look for a rule change can hear the phones ringing in the IRFU all ready. I remember the days when it was nearly all Munster teams so swings and roundabouts so hopefully no knee jerk reactions to current system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    How long will it be before Munster look for a rule change can hear the phones ringing in the IRFU all ready. I remember the days when it was nearly all Munster teams so swings and roundabouts so hopefully no knee jerk reactions to current system

I actually think it will work against the Dublin clubs - 7 teams all fishing out of the same pond for players will dilute the quality in the Dublin teams. The non Dublin teams I think will find it easier to attract top players from their own surrounding area and with the economy picking up you are less likely to see players moving to Dublin for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

I was going to say that in my original post but I didn't want to be causing controversy! Hopefully they will keep the current format but I can see the Munster/Ulster/Connacht clubs kicking up a fuss!

I think a lot of the reason the Dublin based clubs are so strong is due to the economy, I know there are quite a few players from Cork/Limerick now based in Dublin for employment reasons. Don't know how many Ulster/Connacht players have relocated to the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

7 strong Dublin clubs in 1A next season, 2 from Limerick and 1 from Cork, you'd imagine that this will seriously favour the clubs from the capital with only 3 trips outside of Dublin over the course of the season.
    You would have said same this season with 6 sides and 4 trips outside Dublin but there was 2 sides from outside the capital in playoffs but yes it should favour Dublin sides.
    :rolleyes:
    Stainalert wrote: »
    I actually think it will work against the Dublin clubs - 7 teams all fishing out of the same pond for players will dilute the quality in the Dublin teams. The non Dublin teams I think will find it easier to attract top players from their own surrounding area and with the economy picking up you are less likely to see players moving to Dublin for work.
    Will and wont. Dublin is big enough to cope with large pool. Non Dublin sides wont find it that much easier well in Limerick anyway as Shannon/Bohs will retain their academy and top guys pushing to get up to 1A. Con have always attracted most in Cork even with some going to Dolphin but no real issues....
    I was going to say that in my original post but I didn't want to be causing controversy! Hopefully they will keep the current format but I can see the Munster/Ulster/Connacht clubs kicking up a fuss!

I think a lot of the reason the Dublin based clubs are so strong is due to the economy, I know there are quite a few players from Cork/Limerick now based in Dublin for employment reasons. Don't know how many Ulster/Connacht players have relocated to the capital.
    I don't think they will. The Ulster clubs have rarely challenged in the AIL. Ballynahinch have been only Ulster side in top flight in years. Not many from Ulster will have relocated. Plenty from wegians/Buccs/Corinthians have been playing in Dublin. Only have to look at some of the sides and you'll see quite a few former players of each club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

On the above, I reckon it will be an advantage to the Dublin sides. Hopefully it will have a positive impact on average attendances for the Dublin teams. If there are only 3 'real' away games hopefully people will make more of an effort to get to all 3. For the rest any Dublin game is almost as easy to get to as a home game for most. Max commute probably being Tarf to Nure/Marys which is only 20-30 mins without major traffic.

In the bigger picture it is not a great thing have so many clubs from not just one province but one city.

I have quick look at the other leagues and I can only imagine it is very expensive in terms of travel for a lot of teams. 1A Dublin clubs will definitely save a few quid this year I'd imagine.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Interesting thoughts, watching Byrne play I wonder if he has the aggression, physically he looks a player but he had little impact in this match.
    As for the final, I'm hoping cons schedule will result in fatigue, Clontarf are justifiable favourites but of all the teams in the UBL it's Con who I fear most, seen too many games with Con where they've nicked victory late into stoppage time.
    With the dryer surface I'd expect carberry to run a lot of ball, would expect Clontarf to have a larger support.
    It's great to have the play offs back. Read somewhere Clontarf have been involved in the playoffs in 8 of the last 10 seasons they've been going.
    One of Clontarfs most popular club Presidents passed away in recent days, this will be an added incentive.

Interesting point on Byrne. Have always felt he doesn't do enough with his physical attributes. Could be something special but I would not be confident of that currently.

In relation to the highlighted, I was at John's funeral yesterday and there was a great attendance from the club. He was a true club man and a great servant to not just the club but the community in general. He was president the year we lost the tied final on first try scored. I hope we win it on Sunday for John.

Ulster Bank tweeted the nominees for some of the awards a short while ago

Leinster Player of the Year
    Max McFarland - Trinity
    Brian McKeever - Navan
    Barry Daly - UCD
    Danny O Riordan - Old Belvedere

Munster Player of the Year
    Sean Duggan - Young Munster
    Ed Leamy - Cashel
    Ger Sweeney - Cork Con
    Dan McCabe - Kanturk

Connacht Player of the Year
    Rory Moloney - Buccaneers
    David Panter - Corinthians
    John Cleary - Galwegians
    Stephen Kerins - Sligo

Ulster Player of the Year
    David Houston - City of Derry
    David Whann - Ballymena
    Callum Lecky - Belfast Harlequins
    Aaron Cairns - Ballynahinch

Max McFarland - Trinity
    Brian McKeever - Navan
    Barry Daly - UCD

Ed Leamy - Cashel
    Ger Sweeney - Cork Con
    Dan McCabe - Kanturk

John Cleary - Galwegians
    Stephen Kerins - Sligo

David Whann - Ballymena

I always find it weird that the top Club is rarely represented in the provincial choices. I know Con have Ger Sweeney but I would have expected a Tarf player in the Leinster one too. Not a real complaint but just think that some players at clubs who always do well at the very top will never get a chance to win.

In Leinster I expect Barry Daly to win but Danny Riordan is always a good shout. Not sure who I'd pick in the other ones.

Any thought on who will be in the overall category and who will win it?

Max McFarland - Trinity
    Brian McKeever - Navan
    Barry Daly - UCD

Ed Leamy - Cashel
    Ger Sweeney - Cork Con
    Dan McCabe - Kanturk

John Cleary - Galwegians
    Stephen Kerins - Sligo

David Whann - Ballymena

Barry Daly - UCD
    John Cleary - Galwegians
    David Whann - Ballymena

Would be my nominations

• Advertisement

What's the general consensus for Sundays final? I think the fact that Con have had 4 intense games in 3 weeks (I'm including the Munster Junior Cup final in that) will have a bearing on the outcome. Fatigue will probably be a factor but confidence with winning 3 of the 4 games and one All Ireland trophy already in the bag might help offset that fatigue.

'Tarf have been strong for the majority of the season and with a weeks rest will probably come flying out of the traps, once they get their tails up they are a class side.

My bet would be 'Tarf and who would begrudge them? Being a Munster man though I would love to see Cons win and release the stranglehold that Dublin sides have had over the last number of seasons....sorry Tarf1234!

What's the general consensus for Sundays final? I think the fact that Con have had 4 intense games in 3 weeks (I'm including the Munster Junior Cup final in that) will have a bearing on the outcome. Fatigue will probably be a factor but confidence with winning 3 of the 4 games and one All Ireland trophy already in the bag might help offset that fatigue.

'Tarf have been strong for the majority of the season and with a weeks rest will probably come flying out of the traps, once they get their tails up they are a class side.

My bet would be 'Tarf and who would begrudge them? Being a Munster man though I would love to see Cons win and release the stranglehold that Dublin sides have had over the last number of seasons....sorry Tarf1234!

Haha I am not accepting that apology!!

Battle up front will be huge, win that and win the game I reckon. If it's 50-50 up front I'd back us. Some high quality goal kickers on display too on both sides so discipline will be massive.

I haven't looked at the odds yet but Tarf I'd imagine are the bookies favourites.

Con traveling up on Sunday morning. Long weekend waiting to get on that bus Sunday morning

I think Tarf will edge it but to do that is going to take a big performance especially up front. If Con can win the forward battle I think they have a real chance.

Stainalert wrote: »
    Barry Daly - UCD
    John Cleary - Galwegians
    David Whann - Ballymena

Would be my nominations
    Your predictions I assume...
    Id go with McFarland, Leamy, Cleary and ??? as wouldn't have seen that much of the northern sides.

While Con had a few playing in junior cup final that will be involved I don't think that will have had too much of a bearing on this weekend. The accumulation of games will more have an effect on next weekends Munster senior cup final than this weekends game IMO. Yes winning the games may offset any weariness but hard to say.
    It was one win apiece during the clashes during regular season and Con have already won an all Ireland playing in away setting and I would expect tarf support to be considerably larger but not that much of an issue. Think Con will edge it by a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Some high quality goal kickers on display too on both sides so discipline will be massive.

Speaking of which, is Rob Keogh fit for the final? Didn't he come off in the semi?

GavMan wrote: »
    Some high quality goal kickers on display too on both sides so discipline will be massive.

Speaking of which, is Rob Keogh fit for the final? Didn't he come off in the semi?
    Nope, broken hand unfortunately

CLONTARF (provisional): Evan Ryan; Michael Brown, Conor O'Brien, Matt D'Arcy, Mick McGrath; Joey Carbery, Sam Cronin; Ivan Soroka, Bryan Byrne, Ian Hirst, Tom Byrne, Ben Reilly (capt), Michael Noone, Karl Moran, Tony Ryan.

Replacements: Aaron Dundon, Neil Reilly, Vakhtang Abdaladze, Peter du Toit, David Joyce, Rob McGrath, Eoghan Browne.

CORK CONSTITUTION (provisional): Darren Sweetnam; Aaron Spring, Ned Hodson, Niall Kenneally, Rob Jermyn; Tomas Quinlan, Ryan Foley; Gavin Duffy, Max Abbott, Ger Sweeney, Conor Kindregan, Brian Hayes, Graeme Lawler, James Murphy, James Ryan (capt).

Replacements: Rory Burke, Liam O'Connor, Cathal O'Flaherty, Sonny Dwyer, John Poland, Shane Daly, Darragh Lyons, Liam O'Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Max McFarland - Trinity
    Brian McKeever - Navan
    Barry Daly - UCD

Ed Leamy - Cashel
    Ger Sweeney - Cork Con
    Dan McCabe - Kanturk

John Cleary - Galwegians
    Stephen Kerins - Sligo

David Whann - Ballymena

I always find it weird that the top Club is rarely represented in the provincial choices. I know Con have Ger Sweeney but I would have expected a Tarf player in the Leinster one too. Not a real complaint but just think that some players at clubs who always do well at the very top will never get a chance to win.

In Leinster I expect Barry Daly to win but Danny Riordan is always a good shout. Not sure who I'd pick in the other ones.

Any thought on who will be in the overall category and who will win it?
    Ben Reilly, probably the best 2nd row in the UBL for last 5+ years but receives so little recognition.

Was delighted Galwegians came up this season which saw 1A having 4 province representation, pity its back down to 2, while there will be more players spread around the dublin clubs next season there will be some cracking Friday night lights games which have been a brilliant addition in recent years which add to the bar tills.

As for the final, surprised Con are travelling up Sunday morning. Will be interesting to see Aaron Spring on the wing for them, there was lots of talk about him under-age up in the under-age conveyor belt of talent that is Sligo RFC then he seemed to disappear. Clontarf have 2 excellent young props and and 2 Leinster full timers in Hirst and Dundon on the bench so I really cant see us losing out up front. Backrow is strong too with Tony Ryan a brilliant player and Noone settling in well following his time in England. Hopefully the hard ground will bring out the best of Carbery. Interestingly Clontarf's 2 main signings last summer have been injured all season.
    Still I just cant feel confident ever playing Con, they always seem to get the rub of the green especially late on deep into injury time, but logically I would think this being their 4th tough game in 4 weeks may take its toil. Here's to a good game and a good crowd.

bamboozle wrote: »
    Ben Reilly, probably the best 2nd row in the UBL for last 5+ years but receives so little recognition.

Was delighted Galwegians came up this season which saw 1A having 4 province representation, pity its back down to 2, while there will be more players spread around the dublin clubs next season there will be some cracking Friday night lights games which have been a brilliant addition in recent years which add to the bar tills.

As for the final, surprised Con are travelling up Sunday morning. Will be interesting to see Aaron Spring on the wing for them, there was lots of talk about him under-age up in the under-age conveyor belt of talent that is Sligo RFC then he seemed to disappear. Clontarf have 2 excellent young props and and 2 Leinster full timers in Hirst and Dundon on the bench so I really cant see us losing out up front. Backrow is strong too with Tony Ryan a brilliant player and Noone settling in well following his time in England. Hopefully the hard ground will bring out the best of Carbery. Interestingly Clontarf's 2 main signings last summer have been injured all season.
    Still I just cant feel confident ever playing Con, they always seem to get the rub of the green especially late on deep into injury time, but logically I would think this being their 4th tough game in 4 weeks may take its toil. Here's to a good game and a good crowd.
    It is a shame on provincial representation going down but in terms of promoting the league in terms of crowds a lot of Dublin clubs will help things as there should be bigger crowds all round...
    Spring was with Shannon for a period then went back to Sligo.

Final live on RTE2 now...

• Advertisement

0-0 17 minutes gone.
    Anyone else watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

0-0 17 minutes gone.
    Anyone else watching?

Not a bad game really. Few line breaks but both teams haven't converted the chances.
    Clontarf line out could cost them here though

Not a bad game really. Few line breaks but both teams haven't converted the chances.
    Clontarf line out could cost them here though
    Good game. Both teams willing to play which is great to see in final.
    Tarf leading with fine score by Matt Darcy

Lovely try there

Joey Carbery has been the difference between the two so far, really positive 10, glides over the ground and attacks the line brilliantly.

Another absolutely cracking try. Could be a knock on though.

The offloading here is brilliant

Joey Carbery has been the difference between the two so far, really positive 10, glides over the ground and attacks the line brilliantly.
    Yeah. top class player
    Another absolutely cracking try. Could be a knock on though.

The offloading here is brilliant
    Where did you see the knock on??

Yeah. top class player

Where did you see the knock on??

I said could have been when watching live. Haven't seen a replay of it again. Before the last pass the ball came out of the tackle I think forward.

Clontarf turned the screw after con failed to take any points from the first 10 mins of pressure.

28-18
    Con conversion to come
    25 mins to go. Super game

wonder what attendance is as would love to compare it to towns cup final as that game is also on today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Entertaining game this.

Carbery really is good at this level. Only 20, wonder how far he is off playing for Leinster.

Advertisement