Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food from your childhood.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭YurOK2

eternal wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel that people are drawn towards food because of what they were fed growing up. You could either try to recreate the taste or be repulsed by it. As adults, we can attempt to feel secure by surrounding ourselves with reminders of being young or 'safe'.
    Growing up we always had roast chicken/lamb/beef on Sundays with desserts like Trifle, Lemon Meringue Pie or Baked Alaska. I never thought about it but as a comfort now I would eat those things. Is there any food you like because of your childhood? Or have you been completely turned off by certain foods you were force fed when young?

We were never allowed to have any "junk" food when we were younger. I was 15 the first time I had food from a chipper, 18 the first time I ate a take away pizza.
    My mother was an absolutely awful cook but she would make us sit at the table until we finished our food.
    Our parents were really controlling of us so basically we didn't have anything the other kids in our school had.
    I know it probably sounds stupid but when I was younger I used to be mad for a taste of petit filous yoghurts, they always looked lovely but my mother would never let us have them. I moved out when I turned 18 and petit filous weren't as amazing as I thought they would be :P

Like you, when we were growing up Sunday was always "roast" day. My mother used to cook lamb or beef nearly every Sunday. I am and always have been allergic to red meat, I don't eat it at all anymore but when I did, it would make my mouth and tongue swell up, make my throat and ears really itchy, my eyes weep etc. My mother would force me to sit at the table and finish my dinner while I was suffering from an allergic reaction. She always told me to cop on and to stop trick acting. Even now, she still doesn't believe me, even though I now carry an epi pen for my various allergies :rolleyes:

The restriction when we were younger caused my sister and I to have serious issues with food once we turned 18 and moved out on our own. We both went through periods of overeating all the stuff we could never have when we were younger and it took a while to get a handle on it all. Thankfully we have both managed to work through the food issues now.
    Like anything, complete restriction is never really the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah Jaysus YurOk2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Big brother lemonade. :)

We never really had the branded minerals.
    So now as an adult i find the taste of the cokes and lemonades too strong.

Cheap store brand minerals for me :)

Aw now you have me thinking of floats.
    Haven't had one in years.
    Maybe i might make myself one later.

deise08 wrote: »

Yellow Pack Coke & Orange :D

I'd love a Roy of the Rovers or Desperate Dan bar right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's amazing how parental control freakery can impact children's malleable minds.

I've read a number of stories of holocaust survivors' relationship with food years after their ordeal - many would stockpile food, hide it around the place, couldn't throw away rotten produce, secretly bring a stash of food with them when leaving the house etc. Terrible altogether. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Ham sandwiches
    Crisp sandwiches
    Fish fingers
    Oven chips
    Crisps
    Tangerines
    Club biscuits
    Small bottles of water

Twas my fuel growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's amazing how parental control freakery can impact children's malleable minds.

I've read a number of stories of holocaust survivors' relationship with food years after their ordeal - many would stockpile food, hide it around the place, couldn't throw away rotten produce, secretly bring a stash of food with them when leaving the house etc. Terrible altogether. :(

On the flipside, after years of excess and 'celtic tiger', we've new generations who couldn't care less about throwing out good food, and full items not even opened.
    My parents generation wouldn't have dared throw our or waste anything.
    For a country where a million died, and lots more seriously affected, in a famine in our recent history, we have a very flippant attitude towards food waste.

Anyway, that's probably all for a different thread!

More old skool foods:

Findus crispy pancakes (serious horsey goodness!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I was just thinking about those pancakes. I loved them. No amount of money could persuade me to eat them now. Well that's not true obvs but i wouldn't enjoy it.

Nobody has mentioned gammon steaks with the pineapple ring on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

kfallon wrote: »
    Well la di da missus......ice cream wafers and tinned fruit cocktail for all us peasants!!! :(

That's what I came on to post when I read the OP ! And a bottle of MiWadi Orange as well, don't forget that.

Grew up in rural Ireland in the 70's and 80's, my mother could cook about 8 different meals, but we never really complained. The best stew I ever ate is the ones she made, tried to replicate them but just can't.

Breakfast was Corn Flakes or porridge, maybe Rice Krispies at the weekend, ham sanwiches for lunch in school and one slice of bread with jam on it as a treat. Sandwich spread or home made coleslaw in summer. Best sambo's were Mondays with the left overs from the weekend.

Dinner was stew, steak and kidney pie or bacon and cabbage, fish on a Friday. Cheap food, we grew all our own veg. No curries or anything like that, never ate rice till I was 12, had pasta first when I was 17. (doesn't include spaghetti in a can!).

She made apple or rhubarb tarts, maybe a sponge that was it. I remember getting the toffee sponge in a can once or twice, wa gorgeous. No sweets or biscuits as the cash wasn't there.

I can identify with YurOK2 in that I tried everything when I left home at 16, but I never got the weight issues till I was 30. I'd still eat a pack of Mikado or Kimberley biscuits on my own over the course of a day if I had no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Speaking of SMASH - the reason I cannot stand Pringles "crisps" is that they taste exactly like cold Smash.

Come to think of it, that might be because...they actually are...cold compressed Smash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Big brother lemonade. :)

So now as an adult i find the taste of the cokes and lemonades too strong.

Cheap store brand minerals for me :)

The 3 litre bottles of Country Spring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Our neighbours had a fish prep place so we had fresh fish every Friday. It's a real Irish thing to have it every week.

Our neighbours had a fish prep place so we had fresh fish every Friday. It's a real Irish thing to have it every week.

Church rules - fish on a Friday!

kfallon wrote: »
    Church rules - fish on a Friday!

It was a gift from them. Pretty expensive to be buying in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Turkey twizzlers as well. Diabolical stuff they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Fish fingers, spuds and peas was a very common midweek dinner. Used be sick to death of it.

At weekends for dessert we often had Angel Delight with a flake sprinkled on top.

Or rhubarb crumble and hot custard. I'd love a bowl now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Id still go for a luncheon sandwich first, before any of the other flavour ones.

Id still go for a luncheon sandwich first, before any of the other flavour ones.

Always have luncheon blaas when I go home :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Mars Delight.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

cloud493 wrote: »
    Turkey twizzlers as well. Diabolical stuff they are.

Are these the ones made out of mechanically recovered Turkey gloop?

Anyone remember the brown rock sugar on a string you could get?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Green Isle used to do 4 slices of pizza in a plastic type packaging

they were savage

Findus Crispy pancakes chicken and ham flavoured goo were decent

not any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

Dripping sandwhichs followed by tea and dripping for gravy ..

offcuts of bacon boiled with spuds

chickatee sangers

sugar sangers

it should be no surprise how dirt poor we were

that reminds me to get a checkup ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mum is a decent cook, we always had tasty, simple, cheap dinners. She really kicked ass at baking though - black forest gateau was a favourite of mine.
    When I was young, I thought everyone's mum could cook, I got a shock when I'd eat in friends' houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Liga and Rusk.

Bought some a while back to see what they're like.

Nice with a cup of tea but nothing special.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Growing up we always had roast chicken/lamb/beef on Sundays with desserts like Trifle, Lemon Meringue Pie or Baked Alaska. I never thought about it but as a comfort now I would eat those things. Is there any food you like because of your childhood? Or have you been completely turned off by certain foods you were force fed when young?

Yep, Sunday dinners at home are still the same here. I was back a few weeks ago and had the first roast "Mammy Dinner" I'd had in months (not including Christmas dinner) and it was delicious.

Weekday dinners were the standards- bacon and cabbage, spaghetti bolognese, pork chops, occasionally fish (salmon or cod) stew, etc etc but now and again there would be a curve ball. When I was small, I remember mum being a more adventurous cook, making curries more or less from scratch (they weren't great though, no chillies or fresh ginger just hapes of spice) and paella which was surprisingly yum. Mum discovered this packet sauce mix for Somerset Pork Casserole and it is legitimately theeee nicest dinner she's ever made. I make it now as a comfort dinner in the depths of winter. A bowl of that with creamy mashed potato will cure all your ills.

Now and again on a Friday we'd have a chipper takeaway for our tea (later Four Star Pizza when it came to our small town) and often Saturday's main meal was a massive fry with Denny rashers/sausages/pudding, Bachelor's beans, eggs from our own hens, mum's homemade soda bread, bucketfuls of orange juice (tae for the grown-ups)

Mum baked a lot so we had an almost constant supply of brown soda bread, scones, buns.

Granny lived next door when we were small and while our parents didn't let us have minerals (robinsons orange or ribena were the alternative) granny always had fizzy drinks for us and she used to let us mix them together to make "cocktails" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

I remember my ma used to send me to school with what she called Prairie sandwich's ( just butter) ha we used to get crisps on the way to school to go in if we were lucky maybe a packet of chicatees or burger bits.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I remember my ma used to send me to school with what she called Prairie sandwich's ( just butter) ha we used to get crisps on the way to school to go in if we were lucky maybe a packet of chicatees or burger bits.:)
    Haha I remember Prairie sandwiches (Bread and butter and lots of wide open spaces)
    We'd get those occassionally on Fridays (Friday evening was when she'd do the "big shop")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

My mam was a brilliant cook when the good people or royalty were coming around, the rest of the family of plebs had the same thing. Every other day of the week. I now can't eat spaghetti (no matter what scauce), stew, breaded chic and lasagna.

Advertisement