Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Staying on Brolly for just a second, there's something about his article in yesterdays Sunday Independent that's sticking out....

I wouldnt like to be Michael Carroll reading the final line
    The current generation will not be telling their sledging stories to their grandchildren, or writing about them in their autobiographies. As young Micheál Carroll will tell you, they're as funny as cancer.

Am I soft, or is this leaning on insensitive - proven to be commonplace with Brolly with his remarks yesterday.

Am I a soft, moaning nit-picker or is this guy better off at home rather than on our screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

Staying on Brolly for just a second, there's something about his article in yesterdays Sunday Independent that's sticking out....

I wouldnt like to be Michael Carroll reading the final line

Am I soft, or is this leaning on insensitive - proven to be commonplace with Brolly with his remarks yesterday.

Am I a soft, moaning nit-picker or is this guy better off at home rather than on our screens.

I think he has crossed the line again with that statement he is a fool who should be removed from the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Brolly seem to exist just to be contrary, his prepared "controversial" soundbite yesterday was pathetic. RTE would be far better off without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I dont mind Brolly, although i seem to be in the minority here.

He gets an awful lot of stick, some of it rightly so, but some of the stick he gets is purely because his opinions differ from the masses. I dont mind that bit of honesty.

I'd much rather him than that Colm O'Rourke fella - who offers zip as a pundit !

And dont get me started on O'Hara :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

Brollys biggest issue is that if what is happening out on the pitch doesn't support his argument he completely ignores what is going on out on the pitch. yesterday was a terrific game of championship football, yet you wouldn't hear a word of it from Brolly. At least O'Se seemed to be paying attention to what was going on on the pitch and called the game quite accurately from what I watched back on the RTE player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Slattsy wrote: »
    He gets an awful lot of stick, some of it rightly so, but some of the stick he gets is purely because his opinions differ from the masses. I dont mind that bit of honesty.
    I dont think its his opinions that annoy people, its the sensationalist, headline grabbing, attention seeking, often insulting delivery accompanied by the general petulance which happens every week that people are fed up on.
    The other pundits such as Spillane can do similar, but never come out with comments of quite the same nature.

Nib wrote: »
    He said Cavan's style of football was as ugly as Marty Morrissey. Disgusting thing to say, in jest or not.

He really is a horrible little man.

Missed this until the thread.

Surely a step too far considering he works with the guy.
    That's stupid on a while new level even for him.

I doubt Marty was as upset as some of the posters on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Slattsy wrote: »
    I doubt Marty was as upset as some of the posters on this thread.

Your may be right but I don't think people would be quite as annoyed with what he said if it was one off more that it is a continued exampe of Brolly's unprofessionalism in the studio and his unbelievably arrogant demeanour.He continually makes uncessasary jibes at people for no good reason.

Also if he said something like that in any other worklplace he'd be up in front of HR if he said it aboyut a female employee I'd imagine he'd be lucky to keep his job.

Not at all.
    Serious drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

With regard to Joe Brolly, I would have to say that I enjoy both his and Colm O'Rourke's contributions on RTE and as a consequence I would watch it over the coverage of the BBC.

Brolly though would be a bit of a smart-arse and would be extremely arrogant and high handed. My immediate reaction when he issued the Marty Morrissey jibe was to cringe but it was clear Michael Lyster was ripping it. The impression I got was that words were exchanged off camera and it was agreed that Brolly would issue some sort of apology - however he does not do humility well and Lyster had to basically put the words in his mouth. It was TV gold though to see Lyster slap him down with the 'out of order' remark - it is rare that you will see an ego like that receive such a public put-down.

As regards the Monaghan v Cavan match, another enjoyable contest, even though there were a lot of frees. I was surprised by how competitive Cavan were for most of the game and I thought they were going to take it when they moved four clear at 13-9. However Monaghan responded to the challenge and a lot of their big players stood up when the call was made - McManus in particular, who really is a top drawer forward.

Cavan can still put a good run together and with a favourable draw could see Croke Park. Some of the Cavan lads might have better insight than I, but could more use not be made of Michael Argue further out the field? I thought he was largely wasted in at full forward over the course of 70 minutes.

As for Monaghan, nothing much has changed of them in my opinion over recent years. They are probably a top six team who are capable of winning an Ulster Title, but an All Ireland is simply beyond them - the underlying problem of lack of strength in depth continues and in a twenty man game that is too great a handicap. Furthermore, injury to McManus would be an unmitigated disaster. They lean too heavily on him.

It looks like Monaghan for the Ulster Final now and they will be a tough proposition, whoever they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brolly's remarks regarding Marty were disgraceful, and a man like that deserves no place on a panel broadcasting to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭sean mac

walshb wrote: »
    Brolly's remarks regarding Marty were disgraceful, and a man like that deserves no place on a panel broadcasting to the public.

Agree 100%,great article by jim mcguinness in the times today calling him for it. Marty a total gent and would probably laugh it off but deserves far better from a supposed colleague

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Longford manager sounded resigned already in his pre-match interview, can't blame him I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think Dublin might shade this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

A gosh both wearing blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tafkach

Has Brolly been suspended for today's coverage... or did I miss a memo somewhere along the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Game over after 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Dublin have 5 shots and scored 1-4 in 6 minutes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah Ref, just blow it up now and save Longford the embarrassment.

• Advertisement

Game over after 5 minutes.

Was just thinking the same myself...

Hard not to like Berand Brogan.. He seems like a sound guy, and the man pretty much always delivers under the huge pressure that is being a Dublin footballer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why would you bother going to see this? Even as a serious Dublin supporter you can see the game is over and surely your mind has already began to wander.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Dreadful game. No harm to either team, but there is a pathetic gulf between the sides. you cant take the provincials seriously any more.

No wide from the Dubs yet.

6 different scorers in the first 10 minutes

That's surely a stonewall black card, if the GAA are still gonna persist with the stupid rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Dublin scoring close to a point a minute.....

The Dublin defence isn't exactly impressing much today.

Three in a row for Longford, Dublin are being a bit casual, can't blame them it's effectively over as a contest.

The Longford manager was saying they'd try to 'Put in a performance' which I think translates as don't get beaten too badly.

Uselss from Brogan - ruined their perfect shooting record

• Advertisement

Longford with only 1 wide so far.

Advertisement