Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I recall being taken aback last year by the level of abuse and vitriol heaped on Armagh, on this very forum, by many Donegal posters about what they perceived as the 'thuggery' Armagh brought to last year's All Ireland quarter-final.

There was plenty of evidence of 'thuggery' on display in Ballybofey from both sides on Sunday, and that evidence was readily available to both those watching on the TV and those at the game. I'll await with interest to see if any of the Cyclops here actually seen it and more importantly are willing to condemn it....in the interests of consistency you understand!! :rolleyes:

For myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the game - I found it enthralling from start to finish with the old adage of 'no quarter asked or given' particularly appropriate. Conditions were terrible but there was still some great skill on display. Throw in plenty of guts and determination and you have all the ingredients of a typical Ulster Championship game - I loved every minute of it.

Yes, there was all sorts of knavery going on - both physical and verbal - typical of a local derby in a huge game. I have no issue with those that say this sort of thing needs stamped out - however if it is to be stamped out, I hope there will be a recognition that such things are not just confined to Ulster, despite what some might say.

Looking back, I would have to say I was surprised by how good Tyrone had played - despite the defeat, thy will take great heart from that victory and will likely see Croke Park in the Summer. Although Donegal won a hard fought encounter, which was built on the composure of being Champions and refusing to panic, I got a sense that they have gone back from last year. My immediate reaction was one of optimism for our chances against them in June. However having had time to reflect, I'm now not so sure. Donegal will benefit hugely from that game and will have the added advantage of simply playing at a higher level than Armagh - it is us that will have to step up significantly. Still, it's a game I can't wait for.

One last point - the black card needs sorted out - urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I recall being taken aback last year by the level of abuse and vitriol heaped on Armagh, on this very forum, by many Donegal posters about what they perceived as the 'thuggery' Armagh brought to last year's All Ireland quarter-final.

There was plenty of evidence of 'thuggery' on display in Ballybofey from both sides on Sunday, and that evidence was readily available to both those watching on the TV and those at the game. I'll await with interest to see if any of the Cyclops here actually seen it and more importantly are willing to condemn it....in the interests of consistency you understand!! :rolleyes:

No medics attacked anyway. Every cloud.

No medics attacked anyway. Every cloud.

cyclops-02-300x225.png

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

One last point - the black card needs sorted out - urgently.

The frustrating thing is that the black card is actually fine, but the refs need to implement it properly (or in some cases be taken away and shot).

There were a bunch of potential black cards that were let go, which is probably not the end of the world when a game is going well but decisions like Sean Cavanagh getting a black card for an incident that wasn't the first cousin of a black card offense is terrible.

This is a spectre that was raised by opponents of the black card when it came in first, and to be fair they were right, but I stand by my opinion from the time that I'd rather have good rules and ****e refs than ****e rules and ****e refs.

Funnily enough, all that sledging that is pretty unsavoury is covered by the black card and could be fairly well stamped out by its liberal application. I don't really mind the off the ball knavery (great description by the way), or at least I think trying to stamp it all out might do more harm than good, but the sledging I find myself wanting rid of alright. It's a bit too unsavoury for my delicate sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Did you see the Armagh game last year? And feel free to point out the instances of Donegal 'thuggery' - by this I presume you mean off the ball targeting equal to that committed by Armagh. Any backroom staff thrown to the ground? Any Maor Foirne starting fights? I'd like to hear what I missed.

• Advertisement

Did you see the Armagh game last year? And feel free to point out the instances of Donegal 'thuggery' - by this I presume you mean off the ball targeting equal to that committed by Armagh. Any backroom staff thrown to the ground? Any Maor Foirne starting fights? I'd like to hear what I missed.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king - begrudging respect Nidgeweasal. :rolleyes:

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king - begrudging respect Nidgeweasal. :rolleyes:

Sure you're only talking out of your 45 ;)

Don't misunderstand me; I'm not denying Donegal are the instigators of some questionable 'stuff', but I really do not see where it crosses into thuggery, or even beyond what anyone else does - including Kerry, the so-called standard bearers of Gaelic football.

Don't misunderstand me; I'm not denying Donegal are the instigators of some questionable 'stuff', but I really do not see where it crosses into thuggery, or even beyond what anyone else does - including Kerry, the so-called standard bearers of Gaelic football.

Donegal instigate some "questionable stuff"? :eek: Don't expect any thanks from Nidgeweasel for that!!

So, to clarify;
    • Armagh violence ≥ thuggery,
    • Donegal questionable stuff < thuggery.
    Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of the word "objectivity", or by asking you that question would I be merely "talking through my 45"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Donegal instigate some "questionable stuff"? :eek: Don't expect any thanks from Nidgeweasel for that!!

So, to clarify;
    Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of the word "objectivity", or by asking you that question would I be merely "talking through my 45"?
    i think most would prefer that their county were not engaged in it but what the McGees were at was on a par with what McBrearty relieved. McMahon's only target was Murphy, not the ball. Anyone at the match could see it clear as day. Donegal can give it just as much as they receive it. Make no mistake every county does it, until the refs stamp it out, its going to continue.

and for the record, when we start breaking players arms (conveniently the teams best forward) before matches, dragging players off the ground by the hair and hurling doctors to the ground i may agree we are level with ye on the thuggery terms. Its the one area Armagh remain leaders of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

overshoot wrote: »
    and for the record, when we start breaking players arms (conveniently the teams best forward) before matches, dragging players off the ground by the hair and hurling doctors to the ground i may agree we are level with ye on the thuggery terms. Its the one area Armagh remain leaders of.

They've no hope with people like Grimley and now McGeeney.

Louts.

• Advertisement

Donegal can give it just as much as they receive it. Make no mistake every county does it, until the refs stamp it out, its going to continue.

Well, hardly the massed ranks of self flagellation that I had anticipated, but a start nevertheless. :rolleyes:

Well, hardly the massed ranks of self flagellation that I had anticipated, but a start nevertheless. :rolleyes:
    well equally, i suppose i have to give you credit for not denying the second part of my post.

Then again... Tyrone minors are obviously well versed in verbal abuse also.
    Taunting a player about his dads death... classy.

Anyway, moving on from whose worse. Anyway to stop it short of making players wear microphones?

So, to clarify;
    Thanks for that.

I'm going to ask you again to point out instances of thuggery.

You keep recycling the (very unfunny) cyclops analogy and then bring up 'objectivity' from your Ard Mhacha stance. If nothing else, that's amusing.

EDIT: Armagh were bad last year, but now that the utterly detestable McGeeney has full charge, I dread to think what's coming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiNH733VVAk

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

McGeeney is no lout in fairness. I'd love to see him do well. A very tough player that would make any team now of he was in his prime IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

well equally, i suppose i have to give you credit for not denying the second part of my post.

Then again... Tyrone minors are obviously well versed in verbal abuse also.
    Taunting a player about his dads death... classy.

Anyway, moving on from whose worse. Anyway to stop it short of making players wear microphones?

Would you expect any different from Tyrone men, I no longer attend Derry v Tyrone encounters due to them

Stoner wrote: »
    McGeeney is no lout in fairness. I'd love to see him do well. A very tough player that would make any team now of he was in his prime IMHO.

Thank you Stoner.

I have said on a number of occasions that the bitterness to Armagh that is displayed so often by so many Donegal posters here (but by no means all I hasten to add) is a product of the defeats Armagh handed out to Donegal in the noughties.

In terms of victories, the shoe is now on the other foot - Donegal ones would be better served enjoying the great triumphs of their excellent team rather than remaining bitter about the past.

Ha I did laugh at that... The things I referred to where last year, your current team and management involved. Hardly deep in the past. I'm not expecting any different from ye in a few weeks.

As I said, find me a an example of a Donegal player breaking someone's arm before a game and Il happily call us ur equals

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

verbal abuse also.

WOW !

Is that not a new low or is this common now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just watching the Sunday Game Live
    What did Brolly say before the game that required him to apologize at half time and what Leister called "out of order"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

He said Cavan's style of football was as ugly as Marty Morrissey. Disgusting thing to say, in jest or not.

He really is a horrible little man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

How the hell was that not a foul and penalty for Dessie Mone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Nib wrote: »
    He said Cavan's style of football was as ugly as Marty Morrissey. Disgusting thing to say, in jest or not.

He really is a horrible little man.

I've never understood how RTE have put up with him for so long.His lack of basic a manners while on the show is unbelievable at times.

Hopefully the Sunday game do the right thing and let him go after today.Imagine if he said that about a female employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Amazing how often teams tap it over when 2 points down in final seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Good game of football. Monaghan played very well in the second half and Conor McManus is pure class, probably the best corner forward in the game today.Colin Walshe made a big impact in the second half.

Cavan wasted their wind advantage in the first half with poor delivery's into the full forward line.

What the hell was Martin Dunne at with the free at the end .I'd be absolutely furious if I was one of his teams mates. Really stupid thing to do when there was only seconds left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Good game of football. Monaghan played very well in the second half and Conor McManus is pure class, probably the best corner forward in the game today.Colin Walshe made a big impact in the second half.

Cavan wasted their wind advantage in the first half with poor delivery's into the full forward line.

What the hell was Martin Dunne at with the free at the end .I'd be absolutely furious if I was one of his teams mates. Really stupid thing to do when there was only seconds left.

Unbelievably dumb and it happens so often.

McManus is pure class. Had 2 men hanging off him for most of the game and still able to contribute hugely and kick some super scores. At his peak, he is in the top bracket of forwards in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I've never understood how RTE have put up with him for so long.His lack of basic a manners while on the show is unbelievable at times.

Hopefully the Sunday game do the right thing and let him go after today.Imagine if he said that about a female employee.

Very valid point if it was he'd imo probably be at risk being gone
    Should be no difference with men

He then made it worse saying should apologise cavan for reference marty

Then half time he half hearted pathetically said he was not meaning like that when lester had said I presume it's an apology

I always admired he'd honesty and pundits in called spade a spade but he's hyorrcrite views regards favour blanket defence to against it and kerry I said months ago was not holding him same light

Huge huge huge respect for all the work does for kidney organisation but he was bit far ott today now in fairness
    He snigger apologies was insult imo to marty and if I was marty I'd tell him what he can do with he's apologies

He goes on about sledging and moral ethics and yet he slants fellow colleague on national tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Very valid point if it was he'd imo probably be at risk being gone
    Should be no difference with men

He then made it worse saying should apologise cavan for reference marty

Then half time he half hearted pathetically said he was not meaning like that when lester had said I presume it's an apology

I always admired he'd honesty and pundits in called spade a spade but he's hyorrcrite views regards favour blanket defence to against it and kerry I said months ago was not holding him same light

Huge huge huge respect for all the work does for kidney organisation but he was bit far ott today now in fairness
    He snigger apologies was insult imo to marty and if I was marty I'd tell him what he can do with he's apologies

He goes on about sledging and moral ethics and yet he slants fellow colleague on national tv

If Marty wanted to he could have Brolly in serious bother for workplace bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Disgraceful from Brolly but can't say I'm surprised. You could tell Lyster was seething.

Good wake up call for Monaghan today. Did well to over come and unfancied but resolute Cavan team.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

dog_pig wrote: »
    What?

Computa says No

Advertisement