Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fudge You wrote: »
    You are just repeating what McStay, and the two boyos in the studio said. Come up with your own opinion.

I said it before any of them said it so they should come up their own opinions instead of stealing mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

deadybai wrote: »
    The match should have been played in Longford. But that doesn't mean Longford would have made the score more respectable .

It was a senior team vs a junior team end off. Two tier championship all the way

Two tier limits development in my opinion. It would also mean that half of counties don't get anything to look forward to in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Barlett

In fairness lads there's no point trying to defend Dublin playing in Croke Park...I don't see how that was a benefit to either team? Delegates may be voting for Dublin to play their games in Croke Park but I know managers aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They should leave the championship the same and maybe add another cup for teams that are knocked out of the qualifiers early. Play final on the Saturday before the all Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I said it before any of them said it so they should come up their own opinions instead of stealing mine

Ha, lies I tells ya.
    McStay said it when the injured player was still being treated.

You were wrong, the ref was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

kona wrote: »
    They should leave the championship the same and maybe add another cup for teams that are knocked out of the qualifiers early. Play final on the Saturday before the all Ireland.

That's the worst solution I ever heard. At the very least can't they ensure slightly more fairness by having four "provincial" championships with 8 teams in each but divide them into north, south, east and west. That way you'd retain a similar format whilst retaining local rivalries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ah for f*cksake, why doesn't he just blow it up, what's the point of them playing another 7 minutes.

Dub subs entitled to stake their claim for starting places next day, would have been robbed of this if he blew up on 70.
    People who bet on number of Dublin goals, hcaps or winning margin bets, at least now no-one can feel robbed by shoddy timekeeping.
    It would be embarassing for Longford players if the ref blew up early like in a U12s game, arguably more embarassing than the defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

That was a joy to watch from Dublin,they ooze absolute class. It's going too be hard to stop them this year again.

Longford where lucky that it was under the 30 point mark that they got beaten by. It's not often that Longford get to play one of the big boys,so you could understand them wanting to have it being played in Croke Park,so they could have a day out and get some much needed experience for there next games.

COYBIB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The stadium is 80,000 seater it needs to be used to pay for itself. It's first round of championship and Longford are crap. I'm sure the Longford players are delighted to get a run out in croker.
    Bret Hart wrote: »
    That was a joy to watch from Dublin,they ooze absolute class. It's going too be hard to stop them this year again.

Longford where lucky that it was under the 30 point mark that they got beaten by. It's not often that Longford get to play one of the big boys,so you could understand them wanting to have it being played in Croke Park,so they could have a day out and get some much needed experience for there next games.

COYBIB.

Don't understand these patronising "should be delighted with a day out in Croker" posts. Croke Park isn't the hallowed turf that it was decades ago. Pretty much every Leinster county gets regular games at Croke Park. Sure Longford played in it just over a month ago.

That's the worst solution I ever heard. At the very least can't they ensure slightly more fairness by having four "provincial" championships with 8 teams in each but divide them into north, south, east and west. That way you'd retain a similar format whilst retaining local rivalries.

I'd suggest that for evidence whether that would work look at how regional rugby has failed in Wales. The key difference is that in Ireland the rugby provinces are real, historical provinces and people have local pride in them. In Wales they fabricated teams and expected people to follow them and have local pride in them regardless of how conceived the idea was. Its the same with the GAA. People want to win their province because that's where they are from. Applying the idea to hurling because as that's my sport I can talk about it more easily but the same idea applies. Fourteen teams enter the All Ireland series each year, now, split those teams into groups of seven each say. I would still rather win a Leinster championship that consisted of Kilkenny, Carlow, Westmeath, Laois, Dublin and Offaly (Antrim, Galway) than I would one that consisted of Kilkenny, Waterford, Tipperary etc. because the Leinster championship is the Leinster championship. Kilkenny is a Leinster county and first off I want to be champions of my province, then hopefully All Ireland champions.

• Advertisement

Why is it the worst solution you ever heard? There's 5 or 6 teams that will be capable of winning it this year, that means 26 teams are not good enough.

It keeps these teams playing football throughout the summer, which doesn't happen at the moment.

Your solution just continues the pattern of **** teams championships being finished for the summer.

Also this is amateur football, the lads have club games to play too , maybe it's good for some to get knocked out, frees up time for other things.

Don't understand these patronising "should be delighted with a day out in Croker" posts. Croke Park isn't the hallowed turf that it was decades ago. Pretty much every Leinster county gets regular games at Croke Park. Sure Longford played in it just over a month ago.

Carlow are in Leinster Havnt seen them play there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I don't thinks it's patronising at all when it comes to the smaller counties like Longford and Carlow etc etc. For the small counties it will always be seen as hallowed turf considering there likely to never play there,maybe only more then 5 times in there inter - county career and you could also make the same statement when it comes too them playing for there clubs,if they get lucky.

They did but,it doesn't hold the same prestigise as playing the Dubs at Croker,that's worth more then a flimsy Divsion 4 title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Fudge You wrote: »
    But did you not see the leinster council vote?? Other counties voted for dublin to play in the stadium.

You mean the dinausors that sit on various county boards? The GAA need to make the decision. No vote. Not like they had a vote for the sky sports thing. They do it when it suits them.
    The stadium is 80,000 seater it needs to be used to pay for itself. It's first round of championship and Longford are crap. I'm sure the Longford players are delighted to get a run out in croker.
    the stadium has already paid for itself incase you haven't heard. They make a profit a year now from non gaa events alone and even if you left out the concerts too I'd imagine.

There were around 25k there for the football alone. Max. Easily could have been held elsewhere and even if a few thousand missed out big ****ing deal. You don't see connaught forced to play a home match against leinster in the RDS just because it would get a bigger attendance.

Why is it the worst solution you ever heard? There's 5 or 6 teams that will be capable of winning it this year, that means 26 teams are not good enough.

It keeps these teams playing football throughout the summer, which doesn't happen at the moment.

Your solution just continues the pattern of **** teams championships being finished for the summer.

Also this is amateur football, the lads have club games to play too , maybe it's good for some to get knocked out, frees up time for other things.

I think your idea is a sound one, to a point. I think the summer should be organised on the basis of lose your first match, into the qualifiers, lose your first qualifier into this secondary tournament. That way every team is guaranteed at least three matches per summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Longford should be split in two.

Very Bored wrote: »
    I think your idea is a sound one, to a point. I think the summer should be organised on the basis of lose your first match, into the qualifiers, lose your first qualifier into this secondary tournament. That way every team is guaranteed at least three matches per summer.

That's what I mean, your guaranteed 3 games then each team should find their level after being filtered 3 times .

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    You mean the dinausors that sit on various county boards? The GAA need to make the decision. No vote. Not like they had a vote for the sky sports thing. They do it when it suits them.

the stadium has already paid for itself incase you haven't heard. They make a profit a year now from non gaa events alone and even if you left out the concerts too I'd imagine.

There were around 25k there for the football alone. Max. Easily could have been held elsewhere and even if a few thousand missed out big ****ing deal. You don't see connaught forced to play a home match against leinster in the RDS just because it would get a bigger attendance.

But how are you going to pay for the floodlights for the astro in the parish of ballygobackwards ?

GAA is a amateur organisation , there's a 80,000 seater stadium which is in Dublin since it's the capital. Dublin brought I'd say 20k to that game, there's no point turning away paying custom , sponsorship , corporate etc just so Longford can get hammered somewhere else.

Dublin is a big draw, most the games are televised, it's easier from every point of view to play the game in croker.

Money talks and Dublin bring in a **** load of it which is redistributed around the country for communities to have floodlights and astro pitches.

But how are you going to pay for the floodlights for the astro in the parish of ballygobackwards ?

GAA is a amateur organisation , there's a 80,000 seater stadium which is in Dublin since it's the capital. Dublin brought I'd say 20k to that game, there's no point turning away paying custom , sponsorship , corporate etc just so Longford can get hammered somewhere else.

Dublin is a big draw, most the games are televised, it's easier from every point of view to play the game in croker.

Money talks and Dublin bring in a **** load of it which is redistributed around the country for communities to have floodlights and astro pitches.

How? By playing Dublin v Longford in portlaoise and Galway v Dublin elsewhere. The combined of both on their own would be similar and instead of charging everyone 25 quid for a double header, charge them 15 for each game separately. It also costs less to open a provincial venue than an 80k stadium in a big city.

Oh and another thing Kona. The money mostly goes back to Dublin. They received more funding from the GAA than all other counties combined in 2013.

• Advertisement

Longford should be split in two.

Their defence already was lol.

Oh and another thing Kona. The money mostly goes back to Dublin. They received more funding from the GAA than all other counties combined in 2013.

Probably because the population of Dublin is bigger. Don't forget alot of country players play for Dublin clubs too.

How? By playing Dublin v Longford in portlaoise and Galway v Dublin elsewhere. The combined of both on their own would be similar and instead of charging everyone 25 quid for a double header, charge them 15 for each game separately. It also costs less to open a provincial venue than an 80k stadium in a big city.

Ok lets say they play a Dublin game in portlaoise , and Dublin walk all over Laois , what then?

You can play the games on the moon the fact is Dublin are a stronger team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

watching the Ulster championship game on BBC now,awful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    watching the Ulster championship game on BBC now,awful stuff

By general consent the two worst teams in Ulster. The standard is probably no worse than you would see between Clare/Waterford, Carlow/Louth or Sligo/Leitrim for instance.

Ok lets say they play a Dublin game in portlaoise , and Dublin walk all over Laois , what then?

You can play the games on the moon the fact is Dublin are a stronger team.

Personally I think that would be a competitive fixture but I have a solution for you then. Rotate Dublin around all 4 provinces. so 2015 they play in munster, 2016 in connaught, 2017 ulster and then back to leinster 2018.

That would allow leinster to recover as it would be as competitive as ulster. Connaught and munster get a much needed boost every 4 years and ulster would be mouth watering.

Dublin fans would get some great Road trips and the Dublin team would actually have a chance of being challenged before the all Ireland series.

Personally I think that would be a competitive fixture but I have a solution for you then. Rotate Dublin around all 4 provinces. so 2015 they play in munster, 2016 in connaught, 2017 ulster and then back to leinster 2018.

That would allow leinster to recover as it would be as competitive as ulster. Connaught and munster get a much needed boost every 4 years and ulster would be mouth watering.

Dublin fans would get some great Road trips and the Dublin team would actually have a chance of being challenged before the all Ireland series.

That's rediculous, why the hell should dublin go around winning everything in sight that they have no right winning?

Dublin as Munster champions lol.

Fact remains that crap teams will get hammered. If you think Dublin v Laois would be competitive (4 points) your having a laugh, Dublin would rip them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tafkach

I still favour the champions league style like what Colm O'Rourke was saying... Provincial Championships are meaningless at this stage... I think the fact that the GAA would move Galway hurlers in to Leinster shows what sort of esteem they hold the provincial championships.. So scrap the provincials and go to Champions League style....

Another huge advantage of which would be that the fixtures would be more tightly structured so club players would have a better idea of when they were going to be playing their games.. instead of the current situation where they wait around the whole summer

That's rediculous, why the hell should dublin go around winning everything in sight that they have no right winning?

Dublin as Munster champions lol.

Fact remains that crap teams will get hammered. If you think Dublin v Laois would be competitive (4 points) your having a laugh, Dublin would rip them apart.

The only one having a laugh is you. Laois were up by 2 points against the dubs last year before they ran away with it in the second half. If laois were at home id have no doubt they'd push them even further.

Oh and may I add Galway were leinster champions in 2012 and Antrim compete in leinster too. What exactly would be wrong with it. Oh wait let's just leave it, I'm sure we'll all enjoy Dublin turning their 10/11 leinsters into 19/20!

• Advertisement

The only one having a laugh is you. Laois were up by 2 points against the dubs last year before they ran away with it in the second half. If laois were at home id have no doubt they'd push them even further.

Ok.

Advertisement