Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Options
  • 09-04-2015 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen- It's that time of year again. The date for the 3rd annual Irish Beer Mile Championships is provisionally Saturday, June 13th at 6pm. The National Beer Mile track in Kilbogget park is once again the venue.

Threads for the previous two years events can be seen here and here

A video (thanks to emer911) from last years event can be viewed here

Rules (below) will be the same as the last two years. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile.com

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap..
    Must be at least 5 % ABV.
    Puking means a penalty lap.
    You must be over 18.
    You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.
    Fancy dress is permitted.
    Competitors must remain clothed during the event ;)
    Compeptitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

We generally meet up run the beer mile then head off for some post race refreshments. Like last year we will head somewhere in Dublin city centre, so that it's not an ordeal for most people to get home.

As usual there will be complaints about the location, date, timing etc. I've just bitten the bullet and gone all dictator like. Apologies if it doesn't suit you and if there is significant descent I'll consider executing you all changing the date.

Last year we had no female competitors (we had 2 the first year). It would be great if a few ladies would like to come along and give this a bash.

If you're interested please PM me. Alternatively if you're a lurker with no boards.ie account email me on beermile2015@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I am contractually obliged to enter this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The Le Cheile meet in Leixlip is the same day. If that's on in the afternoon then I'll definitely be up for this after. All depends on the timing of the Leixlip meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For those wondering; 12 oz is 355ml.

Can't wait for this. After a disaster and puke the first year, I managed a solid if unspectacular finish last year.
    This year I'll be setting a modest time goal, hopefully I can finish around 9 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »
    This year I'll be setting a modest time goal, hopefully I can finish around 9 minutes.
    Dats back slappin terittiory

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Dats back slappin terittiory

The only backslappin done will be with someone saying 'that's it meno, get it all out' :pac:

• Advertisement

For those wondering; 12 oz is 355ml.

Can't wait for this. After a disaster and puke the first year, I managed a solid if unspectacular finish last year.

Can the normal 330ml party pack size cans be used ? Is there such a thing as 12oz cans here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Can the normal 330ml party pack size cans be used ? Is there such a thing as 12oz cans here ?

Definitely not. And most of those aren't 5% anyway.
    Yes there are plenty of 12oz cans, you just may need to invest in some more expensive stuff (hence Meno risking slicing his hand off in a bag of broken glass last year :D)

There are plenty of 355ml cans and bottles about. Most people used Moosehead last year (available in Dunnes and most Off Licenses) while the more refined drinkers got some Brooklyn Lager or summer ale.

You can use pussy beers if you want but you will be slagged and can't be claiming any victories :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cans of Sierra Nevada FTW. 12 Oz, 5.6% Tasty beer too.

snpa_cans.jpg

EDIT: Just make sure you don't get the Torpedo.

Bit of a waste Adrian, but yeah, I am pretty sure Dogslysmile powered his way to 3rd place drinking that last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Last year we had no female competitors (we had 2 the first year). It would be great if a few ladies would like to come along and give this a bash.

Could we run a Prosecco mile ? :D

There are plenty of 355ml cans and bottles about. Most people used Moosehead last year (available in Dunnes and most Off Licenses) while the more refined drinkers got some Brooklyn Lager or summer ale.

You can use pussy beers if you want but you will be slagged and can't be claiming any victories :pac:

Getting slagged about beer is the least of my worries for this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

RESULTS 2014:

Position|Name|Time|Achievement
    1| TRR|06:56|1st Place
    2| Dublin Runner|07:17|2nd Place
    3| Krusty_Clown|07:41|1st M40
    4| KielyUnusual|07:56|1st Culchie
    5| DogSlySmile|07:57|1st Ultra runner
    6| Chivito550|09:07|First sprinter
    7| Glen|10:14|First race
    8| Timmay|10:19| Fastest lap (61 secs)
    9| Dr Quirky|10:26|National US record on foreign soil
    10| Menosceno|11:14| Fastest Mexican
    11| Yaboya1|11:30|Strongest beer
    12| ChickenBalls|11:40|1st Triathlete
    13| Paul|15:47|Last race

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bungy Girl wrote: »

Genius BG, genius...only we'll have to take time out from our 'vodka and Valium 10k' training... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Cans of Sierra Nevada FTW. 12 Oz, 5.6% Tasty beer too.

snpa_cans.jpg

EDIT: Just make sure you don't get the Torpedo.

I drank those last year. Not beer mile material imo. Tasty beer but not great for chugging. No need to go above the 5% anyway as you're only handicapping yourself.
    Bit of a waste Adrian, but yeah, I am pretty sure Dogslysmile powered his way to 3rd place drinking that last year.

DSS was 5th last year, just losing out in a sprint finish for 4th to KU. I remember it well as both of them lapped me on their second last bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Genius BG, genius...only we'll have to take time out from our 'vodka and Valium 10k' training... :eek:

Wouldn't this be the perfect sharpener for that ;) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wouldn't this be the perfect sharpener for that ;) ?

True, bit of a light distraction ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I am so tempted by this. But looked at the video and am concerned mine might be the barf mile :D. Could anyone else see a Mexican?

I am so tempted by this. But looked at the video and am concerned mine might be the barf mile :D. Could anyone else see a Mexican?

Yeah, I was the Mexican.
    I was expecting more fancy dress as per the 2013 Beermile https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95oaZ5iI1ZeTEVfVkJNVVVLcUk/edit
    We had a pirate, a nun, a hooker and a zombie for that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I've got to give this a try. I'm definitely a better drinker than runner and have some nightclub drinking competition victories (in my 'wasted' youth) under my belt.

• Advertisement

RESULTS 2014:

Position|Name|Time|Achievement
    1| TRR|06:56|1st Place
    2| Dublin Runner|07:17|2nd Place
    3| Krusty_Clown|07:41|1st M40
    4| KielyUnusual|07:56|1st Culchie
    5| DogSlySmile|07:57|1st Ultra runner
    6| Chivito550|09:07|First sprinter
    7| Glen|10:14|First race
    8| Timmay|10:19| Fastest lap (61 secs)
    9| Dr Quirky|10:26|National US record on foreign soil
    10| Menosceno|11:14| Fastest Mexican
    11| Yaboya1|11:30|Strongest beer
    12| ChickenBalls|11:40|1st Triathlete
    13| Paul|15:47|Last race

Haha, Interestingly I met Paul and Glen at Cabinteely parkrun 2 weeks ago. Despite paul saying it was his last race last time, he is definitely up for it again this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

yep for sure, if you can somehow get standard measures (250 ml maybe?) then it could be a good alternative to those who can't stomach beer. Will be deemed a separate event though and won't be eligible for the champions league style trophy we have for the beer mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

i was going to ask if we could drink smaller cans but this is SO much better! lets do that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yep for sure, if you can somehow get standard measures (250 ml maybe?) then it could be a good alternative to those who can't stomach beer. Will be deemed a separate event though and won't be eligible for the champions league style trophy we have for the beer mile.

perhaps we could have an iron, a la Raheny prizes :P

Firedance wrote: »
    perhaps we could have an iron, a la Raheny prizes :P

God no. I'd be afraid of been accused of being sexist. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

I missed this last year. Hopefully I'll make an appearance this time. My beer training is going to start straight after the Connemara Ultra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Is there an early start...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Is there an early start...

Yes people competing in the beer 10k have a 5pm start. There is no early start for the milers. I'm not taking the snobby stance taken by other race organisers and setting a cutoff either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I've been lurking recently, due to continual pissed-offedness about a niggly hamstring that won't bastárding heal, but I'm officially stating my intention to have this as my first outdoor race this year.

I ran an unofficial 7:40-ish in 2013, so I'm looking to go under that at the very least.

Now, back to lurking until my leg works. (pray for me :( )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Be rude not to do this since I only live around the corner. Post race appletinis and triangle sandwiches in mine.

Advertisement