Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Beer Mile Championships 28/6

Options
  • 19-03-2014 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen- It's that time of year again, when we stop worrying about lactate threshold and V02 Max and start worrying about ounces and abv percentage. Thats right, the 2nd annual Irish Beer Mile Championships will be held this year on Saturday, June 28.

Rules will be the same as last year but the event will most likely be held in a different location. I want to get an idea of numbers so if people could start PM'ing me now if they are interested I'll start the registration process.

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap
    Must be at least 5 % ABV
    Puking means a penalty lap
    No crying

Thoughts people? I'm hoping to make this a bigger event this year and will be spreading the word a bit more around the running community.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Can this go in the main forum or does it have to stay here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oh yes!!! :)

Just one point. I took my penalty lap directly after my Puke frothy moment last year (3rd beer). Apparently I should actually have taken it at the end...should maybe be clarified for future events.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I've a bloody wedding down the country that day. Raging:mad:. Same thing last year. And I was really looking forward to this. Is the date set in stone? Who on the committe do I need to talk to in order to change it???:P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hmmm, I was considering a trip home somewhere around then... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wasnt that event the trigger for Krusty's fantastic recent form? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cleanman wrote: »
    I've a bloody wedding down the country that day. Raging:mad:. Same thing last year. And I was really looking forward to this. Is the date set in stone? Who on the committe do I need to talk to in order to change it???:P

Snap.

F€ck sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Personally I'd ask the groom. Definitely don't waste your time asking the bride to change the date. The groom is bound to be more accommodating;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I was chatting to some of the lads down the club about this a few weeks ago and there's definitely a crew of Crusaders that would be willing to take part. This should bump up the numbers somewhat and give some proper competition to trr, KC, AMK plus any other dark horse that crawls out of the woodwork (AKA me:D).

Hard to commit fully at this stage of the game but lets just say it would take more than a wedding for me to miss the event of the year;).

Who on the committe do I need to talk to in order to change it???:P

Committee???

You should be so lucky.

This is a dictatorship run by an insane doctor. Count yourself lucky if you haven't been banned for life just for suggesting that the date set isn't anything but ideal.

By the way I think it's a great date DrQ ;) but if the weather isn't nice this year, I'll be holding you personally to account. Two years in a row would be more than a coincidence. This is Ireland for christ's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was chatting to some of the lads down the club about this a few weeks ago and there's definitely a crew of Crusaders that would be willing to take part. This should bump up the numbers somewhat and give some proper competition to trr, KC, AMK plus any other dark horse that crawls out of the woodwork (AKA me:D).

Gary O'Hanlon said he was in after the last boards night out. Wants to add another Irish title to his CV

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Gary O'Hanlon said he was in after the last boards night out. Wants to add another Irish title to his CV

He may be out of his depth in this one. You can have all the speed you like but if you can't knock back a beer in less than 30 seconds, you are nowhere. He might have to re-focus his training for the next while:rolleyes:.

I for one am definitely going to add in some specific chugging work for this one. That's where the real time is gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Hoping I'll be free for this and I should be able to being a few friends along. I'm training for the beer side of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Any chance we could get Josh Harris over for the big event?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Gavlor wrote: »
    Snap.

F€ck sake

Where's the wedding Gavlor? If it's the same wedding, I'm sure we could organise an event around the hotel premises:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So, is there a minimum qualifying time required for entry?

Will entries be on a lottery system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

adrian522 wrote: »
    So, is there a minimum qualifying time required for entry?

Will entries be on a lottery system?

Nope to both. There will however be one pacer, Ecoli has agreed to pace sub 20 mins. I mulled over it for a while figuring it was really at the edge of his ability. I'm confident however he should at least hit 20:30 or so I'll let him have a crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

NOOOO.........That date could prove difficult for me.
    Looks like the bespectacled Sister Alannah may not be defending her 'turd' place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Brianer69er

Where is this held? Could be an option for a club day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Weather this evening as I ran home along the coast brought back fond memories of last year's event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Anyone have a training plan for this? I looked through P&D but no luck :-)

Is it still going ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Anyone have a training plan for this? I looked through P&D but no luck :-)

Is it still going ahead?

You should get your coach involved. I know he was half thinking about doing it last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Change the date!!!

From what I've seen it could be one of the easiest national titles to obtain :D

wowzer wrote: »
    You should get your coach involved. I know he was half thinking about doing it last year..

I'll ask :)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Change the date!!!

From what I've seen it could be one of the easiest national titles to obtain :D

Yeah, think the date and location need to be locked down. I am back beer training so i'll make myself the early favourite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Yeah, think the date and location need to be locked down. I am back beer training so i'll make myself the early favourite :)

Date nailed down for sure DR… Place is tbc via PM. Glad to see someone kick off the smack talking as well- mods maybe move this to the main forum?

drquirky wrote: »
    Date nailed down for sure DR… Place is tbc via PM. Glad to see someone kick off the smack talking as well- mods maybe move this to the main forum?

Excellent.

Just a few questions:

Is it chip timed?
    Where can I get last years results?
    Are the many water stations? (I don't do cups btw :))
    Can you guarantee me that the course will be short?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Have been in semi-retirement for the past while (hence only seeing this thread now), but am determined to regain fitness for this event. Beer fitness is good, running fitness not so good.

Major lessons learned last year (particularly to bring a bottle opener!), so want an opportunity to implement these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I think that this is an irresponsible event and I'll be getting onto Joe Duffy about it!

TRR wrote: »
    I think that this is an irresponsible event and I'll be getting onto Joe Duffy about it!

''They don't even pay road tax Joe......'' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

DR: see post 520 for the video to last years event.

Some people totally disrespected the event by going in fancy dress.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056936795&page=35

Advertisement