Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

eldiva wrote: »
    Was about to say that myself, he's a club mate of mine. 2012 wasn't it?

It was either 2012 or 2013. There were 3 beer miles that I did between Sep 2012 and Sep 2013, so it was within that timeframe. There's video evidence of all 3 races, and fully legit beer was chosen.

Would be skeptical about any of those old UCD times. Did they use legit beer, and were they in bottle or can format? ecoli would have the answers to that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It was either 2012 or 2013. There were 3 beer miles that I did between Sep 2012 and Sep 2013, so it was within that timeframe. There's video evidence of all 3 races, and fully legit beer was chosen.

Would be skeptical about any of those old UCD times. Did they use legit beer, and were they in bottle or can format? ecoli would have the answers to that I guess.

Yeah I've seen them, used to post on our club page congratulating his efforts. Used to wear a green speed suit. He's a top bloke as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

indeed, every competitor's beer is ruthlessly checked beforehand to ensure it complies with all the rules and regulations. If it fails you will be mocked and jeered in a childish manner. The founder of the Boards beer mile (he who must not be named) was a stickler for this. However, he then competed last year with non-regulation beer if I remember correctly. He really is an complex and confusing character :)

wait, who does the checking? do you need marshals*? :)

*so long as there's no cleaning up required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

eldiva wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen them, used to post on our club page congratulating his efforts. Used to wear a green speed suit. He's a top bloke as well

The old-fashioned one-piece jobs? The only time I've seen someone wearing one of those was at a graded meet 3/4 years ago in Irishtown. I wonder was it the same guy. On a middle-aged bloke, it was really quite disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Chivito550 wrote: »

Short answer, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Got a solid training session in for this tonight.
    I've no chance of winning, but am quietly optimistic about a top six finish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Went for 3 moosehead tonight with 30 second recovery, the third one was a real struggle and I definitely need more burping practise.
    Just remembering the video Josh harris sent us 2 years ago. Wise words indeed from the greatest. Ignore this advice at your peril!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

menoscemo wrote: »
    Went for 3 moosehead tonight with 30 second recovery, the third one was a real struggle and I definitely need more burping practise.
    Just remembering the video Josh harris sent us 2 years ago. Wise words indeed from the greatest. Ignore this advice at your peril!!!

30 second recovery! Jesus you are being incredibly optimistic. Had a good session tonight and last night myself. Didn't go with regulation beer though. Still, am definitely ahead of where I was last year. Don't know if that is a good or a bad thing :)

30 second recovery! Jesus you are being incredibly optimistic. Had a good session tonight and last night myself. Didn't go with regulation beer though. Still, am definitely ahead of where I was last year. Don't know if that is a good or a bad thing :)

Yeah 30 second standing recovery is what JH recommends in the video Chivito posted. I made the mistake of drinking beers straight from the fridge. Will try warmer ones tomorrow.....

Lads I'm about to buy some of this moosehead p*ss. I notice it's only 350ml (rather than 355ml) bottles though. Are they acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Lads I'm about to buy some of this moosehead p*ss. I notice it's only 350ml (rather than 355ml) bottles though. Are they acceptable?

12Oz = 354.88ml, so I'd reckon not.
    Now, if you were to drink two bottles each lap that would be acceptable, I'm sure!;)

if it's for training purposes it's acceptable. If it's for race purposes you will be tarred, feathered and fed to the dogs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

if it's for training purposes it's acceptable. If it's for race purposes you will be tarred, feathered and fed to the dogs

What happened to this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90979669&postcount=154

I thought we would be ok with Mossehead. If that is out, can someone recommend a (legal) alternative?

Is that not what you used last year?

The official standard acceptable Beer size is 12 floz which is what Moosehead is.
    Labelling it 350ml seems to have been a badly measured 'translation' by our friends across the water.

Moosehead is absolutely A ok and is what we most used last year (including TRR)

BTW we have already had this conversation the last 2 years. If we can't use moosehead we are basically down to craft beers which cost a fortune!!

belcarra wrote: »
    12Oz = 354.88ml, so I'd reckon not.
    Now, if you were to drink two bottles each lap that would be acceptable, I'm sure!;)

http://www.beermile.com/rules
    5. Competitors must drink canned beer and the cans should not be less than 355ml (the standard can volume) or 12oz (the imperial equivalent). Bottles may be substituted for cans as long as they are at least 12 oz (355 ml) in volume.
    8. Beer must be a minimum of 5% alcohol by volume. Hard ciders and lemonades will not suffice. The beer must be a fermented alcoholic beverage brewed from malted cereal grains and flavored with hops. For an abbreviated list of valid beers and exceptions, click here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »

500mls are pussies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    500mls are pussies

Would go as far as to say they are Ultra-pussies ??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The mile is an ultra pussy distance full stop, I'm amazed ultra man has lowered himself to posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice there is a Moosehead pale ale as well. More expensive though, 4 for €10, as opposed to 6 for €10 for the regular stuff.

Josh Harris is crowdfunding to raise money for his trip to the world university games in Korea and the world classic beer mile championships in San Fran to try and reclaim his world record.

http://www.gofundme.com/joshharris

The guy is a legend and has sent us videos in the past, see a couple of pages back. I'll be stumping up a few quid later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

"Enjoying" a brooklyn lager at the moment to try out the taste.

Jaysus.

"Enjoying" a brooklyn lager at the moment to try out the taste.

Jaysus.

Brooklyn Lagar is a top top beer IMO, if you think it is crap, you are probably a Heineken fan :p

I have done a good few sessions in the last few weeks, 2 sessions of 3 beers starting every minute and 2 sessions of 4 beers starting every minute (recovery period being what is left of the minute).

3 beers are always fine but the 4th is a real killer, I can't imagine running or even walking after it. Needs more practise......

Worse Meno - Miller or Coors would be my usual.

Worse Meno - Miller or Coors would be my usual.

:eek: You'd love moosehead so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Even Josh Harris waits until less than a week beforehand before adding beer skulling sessions into his training routine. Pace yourselves lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

It is with great regret that I must withdraw from this prestigious event. After another visit to the physio with my achilles problem,several weeks of little or no running I think it is the sensible thing to do. Whatever improvement I make between now and then could be jeopardised by a drink fuelled 4 laps so the new sensible me is saying that it is just not worth the risk. The old not so sensible me would have said fc*k it, it'll be great craic but I'm getting older and wiser these days.

Enjoy all and enjoy the beers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Bad luck there RR!

I'll be attending the Aviva for the Scotland match myself so won't make this esteemed event either.
    Any ideas on where ye will be for drinks that night? Around 10pm?
    Would be good to catch up on all the frothy stories!

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    It is with great regret that I must withdraw from this prestigious event. After another visit to the physio with my achilles problem,several weeks of little or no running I think it is the sensible thing to do. Whatever improvement I make between now and then could be jeopardised by a drink fuelled 4 laps so the new sensible me is saying that it is just not worth the risk. The old not so sensible me would have said fc*k it, it'll be great craic but I'm getting older and wiser these days.

Enjoy all and enjoy the beers!:)

Come out for beers anyway !

Advertisement