Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    The Irish runner 5 mile clashed with the beer mile last year, but would they move the 5 mile? Would they f**k.

Agree with above, it'll always clash with something, there's loads of 5K's around, only one beer mile though.

5 mile was in the morning though so you could still do both.

Agree with what you say though!! and 5ks are ten a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

menoscemo wrote: »
    I was kind of messing on your thread :pac:.
    I don't really think the Dun Laoghaire 5k will be that flat of fast tbh.

I have no particular desire to change the date and that's speaking as someone who has been promised a free entry to that 5k!!

Ah I knew you were messing about the legging it down to the 5k :D

Asked the question and got the answer I was expecting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

There may be an appetite but the date isn't changing :) every year there is pussy footing around with the date. It's set. If you can make it, that's great. If you can't sorry but tough luck! It's my ball and my rules. Dictatorships rock!

So you mean every year, there's debate over the date and as a result of this a date is picked that suits the majority of people.

Yes, that is very awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

So you mean every year, there's debate over the date and as a result of this a date is picked that suits the majority of people.

Yes, that is very awkward

No what happens is that about 3 dates are suggested. Then there is a debate regards which one is best. One is selected and usually the people who campaigned for the date don't turn up! Then later in the pub we give out about the people who didn't turn up and say we should have went with another date. I went for a different tactic this year. People who can't make this date can give out about me exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Is this the Sonia O'Sullivan 5k? Think they are planning one for Cobh later in the year, so you won't lose your chance to run with Sonia, and get the replica Gothenburg 1995 medal. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Is this the Sonia O'Sullivan 5k? Think they are planning one for Cobh later in the year, so you won't lose your chance to run with Sonia, and get the replica Gothenburg 1995 medal. :D

I'm not from Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should have plenty time to get from the beer mile down to Dun Laoghaire. It's pretty much all downhill, so you could use the couple of miles to loosen out the legs. As an added bonus, if you take the route through the 'noggin, you can stop off at the Noggin Grill for a portion of curry chips with cheese. That's what champions are made of.

No what happens is that about 3 dates are suggested. Then there is a debate regards which one is best. One is selected and usually the people who campaigned for the date don't turn up! Then later in the pub we give out about the people who didn't turn up and say we should have went with another date. I went for a different tactic this year. People who can't make this date can give out about me exclusively.

I guess if you're worried that a date will be set by people that eventually won't turn up then it would make sense to set a date that suits the people who actually did show up in the previous two years.

At the end of the day, you took the initiative to set up the beer mile and you set a date. That's fair enough. I could set up an alternate beer mile at a different date, if I wanted to. I don't. :D

Just so happens that the date you set clashes with an IMC event and this might exclude a good lot of people that ran this in the previous years.

I guess if you're worried that a date will be set by people that eventually won't turn up then it would make sense to set a date that suits the people who actually did show up in the previous two years.

At the end of the day, you took the initiative to set up the beer mile and you set a date. That's fair enough. I could set up an alternate beer mile at a different date, if I wanted to. I don't. :D

Just so happens that the date you set clashes with an IMC event and this might exclude a good lot of people that ran this in the previous years.

Yeh actually hadn't thought about that. But setting the date around those who supported the event previously would be a fair starting point.

Alternate date I suggested clashed with Dunsaughlin. I didn't know about IMC event but a quick headcount would say more will be doing the "shock" than IMC. However, I don't care if the date is changed to suit both but I can now guarantee maximum fannying around. Throw out some suggestions so! You've opened the can of worms you can sort out the date :)

• Advertisement

Alternate date I suggested clashed with Dunsaughlin. I didn't know about IMC event but a quick headcount would say more will be doing the "shock" than IMC. However, I don't care if the date is changed to suit both but I can now guarantee maximum fannying around. Throw out some suggestions so! You've opened the can of worms you can sort out the date :)

I genuinely don't mind. If I miss it so be it. Hard to please all, and most weekends there's a track race on somewhere which I'd be considering. So work away with what ever suits the majority and if I can make it great.

Weekend of 4/5 July has zero track meets at all though, so I'd be partial to then. :)

Also I assume all the other IMC meets will be afternoon affairs rather than evening (dangerous assumption though), in which case that would open up 6 June and 11 July.

Here's a list of track meets I did up if it's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I genuinely don't mind. If I miss it so be it. Hard to please all, and most weekends there's a track race on somewhere which I'd be considering. So work away with what ever suits the majority and if I can make it great.

Weekend of 4/5 July has zero track meets at all though, so I'd be partial to then. :)

Also I assume all the other IMC meets will be afternoon affairs rather than evening (dangerous assumption though), in which case that would open up 6 June and 11 July.

Yeah but I'm getting my hair cut that weekend so thats out.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yeah but I'm getting my hair cut that weekend so thats out.

Just leave it. Nobody will notice it with the tea cosy any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

Are there medals for the Beer Mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Are there medals for the Beer Mile?

Reckon I'd need an early start by at least a day for the beer part :o

kit3 wrote: »
    Reckon I'd need an early start by at least a day for the beer part :o

A prosecco alternative for those unable to drink beer was suggested above!

A prosecco alternative for those unable to drink beer was suggested above!

Shh - don't tell anyone but I don't drink at all - tried my best for a few years but could never manage to conquer it - would have two-day hangovers (puking & the lot) - didn't matter if I had a rake of drink or 2 glasses ! Gave it up as a bad job when the kids were small & never returned. This approach is viewed with suspicion amongst the Irish public though - they assume you had a major problem that you are trying to keep in check :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well, penalty lap for you by the sounds of things. By the way do you have a major problem that you are trying to keep in check?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well, penalty lap for you by the sounds of things. By the way do you have a major problem that you are trying to keep in check?

:D other than the major problem of not being able to drink...? :D

• Advertisement

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Shh - don't tell anyone but I don't drink at all - tried my best for a few years but could never manage to conquer it - would have two-day hangovers (puking & the lot) - didn't matter if I had a rake of drink or 2 glasses ! Gave it up as a bad job when the kids were small & never returned. This approach is viewed with suspicion amongst the Irish public though - they assume you had a major problem that you are trying to keep in check :o

that drives me crazy! I think those people are secretly jealous that you don't drink and you still have a life/have fun/not a miserable mess :D:D

I would do a prosecco mile for sure but that date is out for me, will have to wait till next year!

annapr wrote: »
    :D other than the major problem of not being able to drink...? :D

That's the one Anna - spend a lot of social life around the music scene too where I'm seen as a freak of nature but they're used to me by now & enjoy the lifts home ! They will frequently try to blow alcohol fumes in my direction though if we are stopped by the Gardaí - they'd love to see me breathalysed :pac:

This approach is viewed with suspicion amongst the Irish public though - they assume you had a major problem that you are trying to keep in check :o

So what you're saying is, is you're designated driver for the night excellent. Thanks. Now don't tell me you don't drive!
    Firedance wrote: »

I would do a prosecco mile for sure but that date is out for me, will have to wait till next year!

Kiely is sorting out an alternative date for us all so there may be hope yet

. Now don't tell me you don't drive!

I drive alright - have 'designated driver' tattooed across my forehead at this stage. Funny enough, himself never views my not drinking with suspicion - wonder why ?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

I drive alright - have 'designated driver' tattooed across my forehead at this stage. Funny enough, himself never views my not drinking with suspicion - wonder why ?? :cool:

I think Kiely will be more interested in who is drinking Prosecco, the Beer Mile is a major annual hunting ground for him ;)

Chocolate Milk is the generally accepted non alcoholic alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There are a few variations on the beermile for non-alcoholic drinks such as the Chocolate mile mile http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_beer/beertype_Chocolate+Milk

Or the Coca-Cola mile http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_beer/beertype_Coca-Cola

Why not come out and try it anyway? You could also go for Alcohol free beer for getting as close as possible to an authentic Beermile? To be honest as anyone who has done a beermile will tell you: it's not the alcohol content of the beer that's the limiter, it's the sheer volume of liquid and it's gassiness.

menoscemo wrote: »
    There are a few variations on the beermile for non-alcoholic drinks such as the Chocolate mile mile http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_beer/beertype_Chocolate+Milk

Or the Coca-Cola mile http://www.beermile.com/records/ref_beer/beertype_Coca-Cola

Why not come out and try it anyway? You could also go for Alcohol free beer for getting as close as possible to an authentic Beermile? To be honest as anyone who has done a beermile will tell you: it's not the alcohol content of the beer that's the limiter, it's the sheer volume of liquid and it's gassiness.

Well now, you have me thinking :)

• Advertisement

I've been more or less on the dry fo the last 4 months. The mrs has nicknamed me "Desie" as in designated driver!

Advertisement