Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beer Mile 2015, June 13th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey feck off!! Even in the first year I finished ahead of ecoli!!

Did you finish the first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

what sort of time is considered good and what should be a decent lap time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

eldiva wrote: »

Sub 7 minutes!

Hoping to do 80-85 second laps......hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did you finish the first year?

yeah 4th last!

eldiva wrote: »

sub 10 minutes is a good time. Keeping 4 bottles of fizzy liquid down is the major issue.

Actually, it's the taking part that counts :) It's only a bit of mindless fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

A couple of questions.

Is the appearance of froth considered a puke, and am I correct in thinking we're going drinking straight afterwards? I assume there's no showering facilities available? I'm just thinking of practical issues, like transportation to the venue and changing afterward.

davedanon wrote: »
    Is the appearance of froth considered a puke,

Yes, see boards vs meno 2013 for a comprehensive analysis of such an outcome.
    am I correct in thinking we're going drinking straight afterwards?

Yes
    I assume there's no showering facilities available?

Is that a statement or a question? I'll assume it a question due to the question mark, that's more than a couple of questions ;) No showering facilities. You really won't give a ****e what anyone thinks after running a mile and drinking 4 beers as quick as you can.

Yes, see boards vs meno 2013 for a comprehensive analysis of such an outcome.

Yes

Is that a statement or a question? I'll assume it a question due to the question mark, that's more than a couple of questions ;) No showering facilities. You really won't give a ****e what anyone thinks after running a mile and drinking 4 beers as quick as you can.

It was a statement, turned into a question by this fashionable method of appending a question mark. You are supposed to read it imagining my voice going UP AT THE END? Because that's how you know IT'S A QUESTION? Anyway, you've answered all seven of my questions satisfactorily. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

sub 10 minutes is a good time. Keeping 4 bottles of fizzy liquid down is the major issue.

Actually, it's the taking part that counts :) It's only a bit of mindless fun![/QUOTE]

This is quite a clever tactic - lull them into a false sense of security - let them think you don't care when all the while this is your next goal race - in fact, London was really only your 'B' goal for the year really, wasn't it ?

(that, by the way, was a real question with a question mark at the end - you can imagine my voice going anyway you wish ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

on a serious note - is there an accepted training plan for a beer mile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

emerald007 wrote: »

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Originally Posted by emerald007 View Post

4m 20s of my life wasted but a lifetime of education at the same time. The glass bottles would mean he'd be disqualified if it was a real race?

4m 20s of my life wasted but a lifetime of education at the same time. The glass bottles would mean he'd be disqualified if it was a real race?

DQ'ed? For what? Bottles or cans are allowed. Bottles are best as it is more clear when somebody doesn't drink all their beer.

Bottles or cans are allowed.

I'll have to investigate bottled beer options now. Is home-brew allowed?

If it is guaranteed to be 5% and 355ml. Might be hard to prove though so best to stick with something more well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Feel free to bring some along for us to sample afterwards during the "warm down";)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If it is guaranteed to be 5% and 355ml. Might be hard to prove though so best to stick with something more well known.
    Additionally, part of the challenge of the beer mile is dealing with the the gasiness of the beer, while on the run. With homebrew, you can't really guarantee the consistency of the product from beer to beer (for better or for worse).

Popular choices are:
    Moosehead - 5% - cheap and tastes like crap (which is good, as you're unlikely to drink it afterwards)
    Brooklyn larger - 5.2%
    Brooklyn Summer Ale - 5%
    Sierra Nevada - 5.6% (very bitter/hoppy - brave choice!)

American imports usually come in 12oz/355ml servings (so as long as they're 5%+ they're usually a good choice). The Brooklyns and SN are also available in 355ml cans, in case you think the wider opening of the can will help with air flow (though I can't say I've noticed a significant difference). You can pick em up in most decent off-licenses for around €2.50/can. Moosehead is a lot cheaper - just make sure you're buying the 12oz/355ml version.

American imports usually come in 12oz/355ml servings (so as long as they're 5%+ they're usually a good choice). The Brooklyns and SN are also available in 355ml cans, in case you think the wider opening of the can will help with air flow (though I can't say I've noticed a significant difference). You can pick em up in most decent off-licenses for around €2.50/can. Moosehead is a lot cheaper - just make sure you're buying the 12oz/355ml version.

indeed, every competitor's beer is ruthlessly checked beforehand to ensure it complies with all the rules and regulations. If it fails you will be mocked and jeered in a childish manner. The founder of the Boards beer mile (he who must not be named) was a stickler for this. However, he then competed last year with non-regulation beer if I remember correctly. He really is an complex and confusing character :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

For what it's worth, my advice is not to use Sierra Nevada. It's a nice ale, but it's not for beer miling. Maybe drink that afterwards?
    The same way you can bring a nice pair of jeans to wear in the pub, but sporting them during the race would be detrimental to your performance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

I'm not sure if I am mentally challenged enough to do this but if I did, my choice would definitely be Dutch Gold as I've years of experience drinking warm cans of the Golden Nectar outdoors in big fields. Plus, if worst came to worst, I'd be OK with never being able to taste a drop of the stuff again!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if I am mentally challenged enough to do this but if I did, my choice would definitely be Dutch Gold as I've years of experience drinking warm cans of the Golden Nectar outdoors in big fields. Plus, if worst came to worst, I'd be OK with never being able to taste a drop of the stuff again!

Only 4.2% though.
    I'm afraid it doesn't qualify :P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Only 4.2% though.
    I'm afraid it doesn't qualify :P

Ah OK, didn't read the small print. I would just about be able to keep them down without the running though but good luck to all! What's the boards beer mile record?

Ah OK, didn't read the small print. I would just about be able to keep them down without the running though but good luck to all! What's the boards beer mile record?

6:56, but it's not just the boards record, it's the National record.

It's only going to last another few weeks though, if you're to believe everything you read/listen to lately :)

It's only going to last another few weeks though, if you're to believe everything you read/listen to lately :)

Actually, that's beatable but I've a feeling it's going to hinge more on the ability to keep the beer down than to run fast! The winner of this might be more a seasoned drinker than a fast runner

I'm sure someone has run faster but they probably don't have the video footage to back it up. It's actually a poor record relative to the world record

Irish lad ran 6:03 in Melbourne in the same beer mile I was in. Won't name him in case he doesn't want to be named. 6:56 ain't the Irish record. Maybe fastest on Irish soil, that we know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Irish lad ran 6:03 in Melbourne in the same beer mile I was in. Won't name him in case he doesn't want to be named. 6:56 ain't the Irish record. Maybe fastest on Irish soil, that we know of?

Was about to say that myself, he's a club mate of mine. 2012 wasn't it?

And there are lads in UCD who have ran sub 6 too!

Ok, it's the record in the National Championship then.

Stop nit picking :D

• Advertisement

Ok, it's the record in the National Championship then.

Stop nit picking :D

No nit picking in an athletics forum?

That would be a first.

Advertisement