Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Roy Coates

Would appear so, judging by some of the tripe posted here.
    I like, yourself am domiciled in Dublin, so due to work commitments was unable to make it home to see my club play tonight.
    I'm expecting to be excommunicated from the association within the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

And me here down under. I depend on social media to keep updated on GAA and sites such as this to keep up with the goings on back home and the game I miss so much. But apparantly my opinion dosent matter even though Ive been an avid GAA person all my life hurling AND football. If i could fly back for the Munster final I would but having already been home earlier in the year for the first time in 2 and a half years Ive written off any chance of getting home again for any game this year!!! I'd be scalded if we got to an AI but buzzing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

As bad as it looks this kind of stuff happens in every sport and in most countries. At least it shows passion and commitment if a little too much. I am sure it will be dealt with and forgotten. I would have a competitive club championship over a boring yearly formality any day. As long as it does not get too much out of control it is probably good for the county players, not every team will allow a system and clinical hurling, some county team will eventually play very rough against our young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Roy Coates wrote: »
    Interesting evening in the championship tonight. Two 100 per cent records gone and Tallow remain as the only unbeaten team in the group.
    As things stand (off the top of my head)
    Tallow 5
    Abbeyside 4
    Ballygunner 4
    De La Salle 3
    Fourmile 2
    Ballyduff 0

Absolutely wide open with 2 games to go.

Can someone post the official updated groups for senior clubhurling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

chinguetti wrote: »
    So are real GAA folk the ones who go to club matches in Waterford?

I'm just asking cause I live and work in Dublin and I really can't afford the time or expense at weekends or weeknights to make the near 7 hour round trip to get to my home club.

Perhaps I should apply to the County Board for a grant!

Perhaps you should stop driving like an aul wan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

blue note wrote: »
    Perhaps you should stop driving like an aul wan!

Can't stop laughing at that post. Brilliant.👊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Why is Thurles worth anything to Tipp? This home advantage stuff grills me sometimes. There's places in Waterford that are closer than some places in Tipp to Thurles.

What is it from the City, an hour and a half? They train at the Ragg in Drom/Inch, not in Thurles. In the league they play a maximum of 3/4 games there. In the championship they might play 0-1 games there, 2 maximum and very rarely. We play nearly as many games there in a year. I doubt you're going to see a hugely inflated Tipp crowd if its in Thurles as opposed to Limerick. I would imagine there'll be a similar increase in Waterford fans who's travel if it was in Thurles.

We've played 2 competitive games in Thurles this year and they were big big games, Tipp have played two league games there. There is no advantage worth talking about here.

I get what youre saying but Thurles in a Munster final is a home advantage to Tipp no matter what way you dress it up. Just as Gaelic Grounds in Limerick and Pairc Ui Caoimh are to Cork. I agree that we shouldn’t fear anyone in Thurles as its our second home. And yes it hasn’t exactly been a fortress for Tipp in recent seasons. But if I had a choice Id still rather face Tipp at a neutral venue. However if the Waterford camp are willing to play it in Thurles that’s good enough for me. It’s a fair statement of intent and certainly puts the pressure even more so on Tipp. Interestingly the Munster final in 2009 you referred to we played Tipp in the minor final that day and guess what we beat them and beat them well. In front of a big home crowd. A few of those lads involved in the current senior team so maybe its an omen. Youth knows no fear they say. If we were to beat this Tipp team, in Thurles in a Munster final, it would be a famous victory for Waterford. I would say it would top anything we have achieved in the past 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Best wishes to Gavin Crotty who is hospitalised at the moment. Here's hoping everything is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Would appear so, judging by some of the tripe posted here.
    I like, yourself am domiciled in Dublin, so due to work commitments was unable to make it home to see my club play tonight.
    I'm expecting to be excommunicated from the association within the week.
    Tyrion has another brother it seems

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Tyrion has another brother it seems

Fck sake, what is everyone's obsession with this Tyrion lad?

Is there some kind of initiation ritual one must go through before admission is granted into ye're little clique?

Christ it's like being back in primary school!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

You're not a real Waterford GAA (wo)man unless you've seen us play Division 3 hurling. Sorry folks, them's the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

ArchieKnox is that as a result of Sunday or is it a medical/personal issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

It was only a couple months ago that alot of ppl were calling for an 8 team championship including well known journalists in the county, mostly directed at the likes of cappaquin, tallow and roanmore, well here we are 3 games into 2015, tallow 3 wins from 3 and top the group, roanmore 2 wins from 3 and second in group, cappaquin beat lismore. Never see anything wrote about their previous ambitions of an overhaul these days.

deiseach wrote: »
    You're not a real Waterford GAA (wo)man unless you've seen us play Division 3 hurling. Sorry folks, them's the rules.

I'll see your Division 3 hurling and raise you seeing Kilkenny beat us in a Division 4 football game in the late 80's. I remember the following morning getting ready for school and it was headline news on RTE Radio 1 sports bulletin.
    Christ the 80's was a bleak old decade for us looking back at it now.

Anyway looking to the glorious 12th, did we make it through the weekend and last night with a clean bill of health?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...glorious 12th...

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Wasn't Paddy Joe Ryan at the Dungarvan Mount Sion game so surely he can see what happened with his own eyes and bring on the following repercussions. The video is only the tail end of the row

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

deiseach wrote: »

Or played against Roscommon in Athleague :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

thesultan wrote: »
    Wasn't Paddy Joe Ryan at the Dungarvan Mount Sion game so surely he can see what happened with his own eyes and bring on the following repercussions. The video is only the tail end of the row

Was there a decision made last night regarding Dungarvan Mr Sion?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Was there a decision made last night regarding Dungarvan Mr Sion?
    Sorry, should have typed Mount Sion

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

DLS 0-17 1-12 Ballygunner. DLS beat Ballygunner by 2 points in Walsh Park but in truth this was a far more comfortable win for DLS then the scoreline suggests. DLS led by 0-11 to 0-3 at half time, with Ballygunner not scoring from play during the opening 30 minutes. Jake Dillon accounted for most of DLS's scores from frees, with Mickey Wadding blowing for everything, surely a result of last Sundays row and subsequent media interest.

Ballygunner improved in the second half but they had too much ground to make up and DLS got the few scores to seal the win. Overall it wasnt a great game, DLS were the superior team and deserved the win. Moran and Daniels drove the team from the half back line with Barrett looking very sharp in midfield. What really stood out for the Gunners was how much they miss Paudie Mahony, apart from some good play from county minor Peter Hogan, they offered very little up front and its hard to see how they will retain the title unless they can improve considerably in the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Top drawer wrote: »
    It was only a couple months ago that alot of ppl were calling for an 8 team championship including well known journalists in the county, mostly directed at the likes of cappaquin, tallow and roanmore, well here we are 3 games into 2015, tallow 3 wins from 3 and top the group, roanmore 2 wins from 3 and second in group, cappaquin beat lismore. Never see anything wrote about their previous ambitions of an overhaul these days.

Tallow have 2 wins and a draw but you're point is a very valid one. Smaller clubs like Tallow and Cappoquin do not have an endless conveyer belt of talent and will have cyclical periods due to a number of reasons such as retirements, injuries and emigration. Tallow were missing 3 players last night from their previous game for a combination of these reasons. A lot of people who only look at results and not the reasons behind it think that these teams are poor and should not be senior. But this year has shown that these clubs are capable of putting a good year together and being strong performers in the Senior championship. Even big clubs like Ballygunner can suffer from injuries that affect their team but no one comes on here claiming that they should not be senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone close to the panel know if Darragh Fives is back to full fitness?
    Wondering will there be any changes in personal for Tip.

Is Daniels close to challenging for a corner back spot? Hard to fault Fives so far this year and Connors has been top class.

Wasn't overally impressed with O'Halloran against Cork but to be fair he had a good league. Would like to see Shane Bennett starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Played for Tourin at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

County board are considering not entering junior football and intermediate hurling teams into the munster championship; http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/239805?county=National

I wouldn't be broke up at the thoughts of it to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,932 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hope they don't do what they done in 2012 after the Munster final defeat and have a giant piss up in dungarvan which Imo cost us the quarter final defeat to cork 2 weeks later. Unless they win of course lol. If we're beaten the team should be allowed a few pints but future challenges lie ahead

After the 2011 final defeat the Waterford players went home and were up training the next morning and we beat galway in the qurter finals 2 weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Ropaire wrote: »
    County board are considering not entering junior football and intermediate hurling teams into the munster championship; http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/239805?county=National

I think the intermediate hurling can be useful in giving the u21's game time in addition to the u21 championship especially if the 21's don't have a quarter final fixture, also helps keeps fellas just out of 21 but not in the senior panel at a higher level than just club, if you use it right it should be a useful bridge to find a few players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

One thing which irritates me is the crassness of the language used by Ryan and O'Keeffe here - "taking second rate players, giving them jerseys, and sending them out to play Cork". That's really disrespectful to those involved.

Successful counties who've won All Irelands in hurling and football in recent years have used this competition as a launch pad for players with potential, but for whatever reason aren't quite making the cut at senior level. Exactly how a good club team would use their second side.

Any senior intercounty panel these days will use 35 players or therabouts between the panel itself and training games. There will be other lads showing form from club teams, and maybe others would didn't quite make the transition yet from U21 to senior.

This competition needs a rebranding rather than a scrapping. It has potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

For all the preparation they do...they might not
    How much does it cost to enter these teams every year??
    I do recall Waterford playing an all Ireland in intermediate a few years back and winning at least 1 (think it was 2) junior all Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Why is Thurles worth anything to Tipp? This home advantage stuff grills me sometimes. There's places in Waterford that are closer than some places in Tipp to Thurles.

What is it from the City, an hour and a half? They train at the Ragg in Drom/Inch, not in Thurles. In the league they play a maximum of 3/4 games there. In the championship they might play 0-1 games there, 2 maximum and very rarely. We play nearly as many games there in a year. I doubt you're going to see a hugely inflated Tipp crowd if its in Thurles as opposed to Limerick. I would imagine there'll be a similar increase in Waterford fans who's travel if it was in Thurles.

We've played 2 competitive games in Thurles this year and they were big big games, Tipp have played two league games there. There is no advantage worth talking about here.

Tipp train in Dr Morris Park in the winter and in the stadium in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Tipp train in Dr Morris Park in the winter and in the stadium in summer.

Advantage Tipp so get to play munster final on their home training ground. Pity we don't have a stadium similar to Nolan park and enter into home away arrangement.

Even though not many will be giving us a chance I have seen enough this year to think we may just pull it off. Teams have been finding it difficult thus far to break down the defensive strategy of extra lads back with huge work rate and when ball is won there are many attacking options.

Last year when it was compacted at the back opposing forwards were running straight through on goal and the long ball to a one man full forward usually Brian o Sullivan had little effect. Alot has changed since last year, and still we're not the finished product yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement