Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Yea Waterfords few hundred fans (i.e. Friends, Family and relations of the players) should have been given the Killinan end.

So tipp and limerick/cork( whoever wins the other minor semi final ) supporters have the rest of the stadium to pick from lol

Sure the Waterford support is so small they can fit it all in one big bus or at a stretch 2 buses lol

Seriously I think they will be a huge Waterford support there on the 12th July pity the minors lost out this year

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So tipp and limerick/cork( whoever wins the other minor semi final ) supporters have the rest of the stadium to pick from lol

Sure the Waterford support is so small they can fit it all in one big bus or at a stretch 2 buses lol

Seriously I think they will be a huge Waterford support there on the 12th July pity the minors lost out this year

Ah no maybe 5 or 6 buses haha. I thought after the League final victory and buoyed by underage success in recent years that there would be a big Waterford attendance in Thurles for the semi final against Cork but apparently ye were out numbered 10 to 1. But hopefully there will be a good atmosphere on the day of the Munster Final.

I love Tipp and Cork Munster finals because there is great craic and respect amongst the supporters. Its the best derby/occasion (call it what you want) in Irish Sport bar none. Hopefully they get stronger and our glorious rivalry can be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ah no maybe 5 or 6 buses haha. I thought after the League final victory and buoyed by underage success in recent years that there would be a big Waterford attendance in Thurles for the semi final against Cork but apparently ye were out numbered 10 to 1. But hopefully there will be a good atmosphere on the day of the Munster Final.

I love Tipp and Cork Munster finals because there is great craic and respect amongst the supporters. Its the best derby/occasion (call it what you want) in Irish Sport bar none. Hopefully they get stronger and our glorious rivalry can be restored.

You sound like a right eejit Whiplash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

troll alert troll alert :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

danganabu wrote: »
    Indeed such a thing could have a huge bearing on the outcome :rolleyes:

Probably not. But they'd have gone batsh1t crazy in Tipp at the suggestion, which would be worth it in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Craic and mutual respect is something id always associate with the Cork supporters but jesus christ not Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭skaface

Yea Waterfords few hundred fans (i.e. Friends, Family and relations of the players) should have been given the Killinan end.

Don't worry boy, there will be thousands of us in Thurles on 12th July..

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Craic and mutual respect is something id always associate with the Cork supporters but jesus christ not Tipp

Tipp, bad winners, even worse losers!

The biggest whiners, whingers and excuse makers ever.

The whole hurling world knows that!!

Credit to Cork and Kilkenny, whatever people may say about them, they acknowledge when they are beaten that it's by a better team.

That level of sportsmanship is beyond Tipp. They hate anybody winning anything at their expense!

Pitiful and spiteful!

Alf Tupper wrote: »

Credit to Cork and Kilkenny, whatever people may say about them, they acknowledge when they are beaten that it's by a better team.

That level of sportsmanship is beyond Tipp. They hate anybody winning anything at their expense!

Pitiful and spiteful!

Thats a sweeping generalisation if I ever saw one. What are you basing this on. Im sure if you asked most Tipp supporters they would have Waterford as their favourite second team.

skaface wrote: »
    Don't worry boy, there will be thousands of us in Thurles on 12th July..

Hopefully. I'd like to see a full house or as near as possible to full capacity that you'd see at a traditional munster final. It has the potential for game of the year. The championship has yet to catch fire this year and hopefully this will spark it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Can anyone tell me if WLR FM did any report this week on the Senior Hurling Championship? I now live in Cork so don't get to see as many matches as I used to. Just tend to come home to watch Tallow play. However I tuned into Gaelic Ground last night to get a rundown of Round 3 which was played last weekend. Or so I thought. The programme started at 6.15 and the first 15 mins were about the Munster Final being played in Thurles. Included in this 15 mins was a brief piece on the Mt.Sion v Dungarvan game and whether the CCCC had made any comment yet. Have no problem with that. The Munster Final is something we are all looking forward to and a topic that everyone is talking about. The next 20 mins then were given to a piece about the late Jimmy Doyle of TIPPERARY. Now I have nothing against a commentary piece being done about the passing of a true hurling great but come on 20 mins on a Waterford radio station about a man from Tipperary and not a single minute about the Senior Hurling championship which had thrown up plenty of talking points. I may be the only one this annoys but I find it incredible that WLR think a commentary piece on a man from another county was more important than discussing our own championship.
    Now just to balance it out the last 10 mins I listened to were devoted to Shane Briggs, a man who has given terrific service to Waterford football over the last 15 years and thoroughly deserving of having the chance to discuss his Waterford career.

deiseach wrote: »
    Probably not. But they'd have gone batsh1t crazy in Tipp at the suggestion, which would be worth it in itself.

We gave it to ye in 2009 and there was no complaints, didn't affect the result either ;)

Pitiful and spiteful!

I would like to think the irony of this post is not lost on you, but somehow I suspect it is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I would like to think the irony of this post is not lost on you, but somehow I suspect it is :rolleyes:

Agreed, you would like to think that post was tongue in cheek looking for a rise. At least I hope so as if its not its deluded in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Have three terrace tickets for sale for the Munster final. They were bought by mistake by someone who wouldn't be able to stand for the whole game. Face value of course. Hope the mods don't remove this as I wouldn't consider it advertising, just asking for a favour from my fellow Waterfordians

And now Billy Nolan is injured and will miss the Clare game. Jordan Henley from Tallow has been called up. He was sub keeper for the minors last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

And now Billy Nolan is injured and will miss the Clare game. Jordan Henley from Tallow has been called up. He was sub keeper for the minors last year.
    Was there a henley from Tallow that played outfield for the minors this year?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Was there a henley from Tallow that played outfield for the minors this year?

Same lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Same lad.
    Cheers. How bad is Billy Nolans injury?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Cheers. How bad is Billy Nolans injury?

Don't know for sure but heard he's out for anything up to 8 weeks with collarbone injury. Not sure how accurate my info is though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

For one reason or another we have lost 2 top class keepers at u21 and that's a shame. The third choice keeper I believe had left the panel before the 2 lads had become unavailable and now is currently injured so we are in a right fix. Gavin Power our successful minor keeper hasn't played in goal since and is currently part of the Dungarvan squad as an outfield player. If you remember back to 2 years ago Gavin was only a makeshift keeper aswell as we hadn't a strong candidate for the position that year either. Does anyone know what Jordan Henley is like in this position? I haven't seen him playing there so I can't comment but I have seen him playing outfield and is definitely a talent,whether he could produce that in goal is another thing. I think Kieran Power has made himself unavailable due to lack of game time and is concentrating on playing for Dungarvan. That is to be confirmed though so maybe he's had a change of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Cake Man wrote: »
    It won't be anyway easy, there's no such thing as a bad Cork side given the pick and resources they have, let alone the history they have and playing in their own back yard.

:rolleyes:

i have been saying it the last few days, you are dead right..
    It's amazing how so many people here are experts on cork U21 hurling - they must have seen them play heaps of games... I will have to reserve judgement and my opinion on them until I see them in the flesh tonight

:rolleyes:

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We want Clare to win there 1st round senior qualifer because that means they will be playing the 2nd round on the 11th july

irrelevant to the clare under 21s.

only one certain starter on the senior team shane o donnell.
    Bobby Duggan and Conor Cleary are marginal subs if everyone is fit.

Having said that i would be very confident that we have the players to beat waterford in Ennis.
    Waterford will be deserving favourites to win considering the season they are having but clare`s under 21s have been going quite well recently especially up front.
    Having said that any drop in performance or lack of work from clare players and we will not be in the running.
    Waterford are not a side you can allow time on the ball to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 B250

Just on seanie barry going to america, i know he was 1st choice keeper the 2 previous years for waterford 21s and on the senior panel with 2 years also..how he wasnt starting this year is a joke and really pushed him to going to america..

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Any account of our challenge game against Dublin recently for the seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Relegating 33% of your senior teams in one year seems like overkill?

Limerick cut numbers from 16 to 12 at the end of 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

archieknox wrote: »
    Any account of our challenge game against Dublin recently for the seniors?

Was talking to a few of the players and seemingly we didn't go well at all.

But sure you know yourself, most of these challenges are meaningless with lads watching themselves and whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was talking to a few of the players and seemingly we didn't go well at all.

But sure you know yourself, most of these challenges are meaningless with lads watching themselves and whatever.

i knew it would all implode in the camp, we will be out of the championship by the end of july suffering heavy defeats in the munster final and the all ireland quarter final lol only messing. Dublin prob had a strong team out due to playing in the qualifers the weekend. Sure we lost to limerick in a challenge a while back and still won when it mattered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

archieknox wrote: »
    I think Kieran Power has made himself unavailable due to lack of game time and is concentrating on playing for Dungarvan. That is to be confirmed though so maybe he's had a change of heart.

That’s a shame if true. Ive heard there is quite a bit of discontent with the managers decision to bring in a couple of this years minors straight onto the team. A big call by management starting 2 minors in an u21 championship game. Not like this year’s minors set the world alight or that we are badly stuck for strength in depth at u21 level. Im not sure about Lyons abilities as a manager but in fairness the result in Cork was good whatever way you want to look at it. But there’s definitely no excuse for being stuck without a recognised keeper especially given the amount of challenge games played and number of players that were tried throughout the year. If this group of players dosent get a win up in Ennis then serious questions need to be answered again. We beat Clare the last 3 years in a row at minor and while it will be tough test we should be winning this game realistically. It’s a good idea having Mullane and Tony on board but the buck will ultimately have to stop with the manager.

Correction, weve beat Clare 4 times in the previous 3 years at minor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement