Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sionboy

chinguetti wrote: »
    After watching the video of the row, how people are blaming the ref is laughable. There was a row between players that were constantly moving and then broke into 3 further rows as it was quieting down, including the run to the mentors (who also ran into the pitch).

No ref stood any chance of stopping a row when the players seemed intent on keeping it going, regardless of sending off two men and the row still going on. He may not be the best ref in the county but its not his fault that both sides seem not bothered at all about hurling.

What will happen: not much I guess as per usual. What should happen: throw both teams out of the championship for this year. Fines aren't worth it, the only way players, mentors & supporters will stop this nonsense, the better.

And I don't give a toss who started it, there's a couple of attacks on that video that warrant a few years in jail if you did the same on the road outside.

I think this debate is very much against Mount Sion pinning tHe whole fault on our lads. Nobody is talking about the cowardly assault on our keeper who was punched in the mouth out of the blue and then the fella that did it ran away . Disgraceful carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Between that and the Mahony incident shows good enough reason to postpone all club matches when the county team are playing during the championship. It appears that wasn't gleeson striking but it's just like rolling a dice each time seeing what players will make it through.

We don't need Tipp to beat us, we'll do it ourselves.
    ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Its funny that most people having the benefit of video footage probably having watched it umpteen times still cant figure out who hit who or where it all started from, yet the same people are lambasting the ref for not having it all sussed out in real time. Hurlers on the ditch having a field day

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

The Munster final to be played in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

sionboy wrote: »
    I think this debate is very much against Mount Sion pinning tHe whole fault on our lads. Nobody is talking about the cowardly assault on our keeper who was punched in the mouth out of the blue and then the fella that did it ran away . Disgraceful carry on

Just to clarify, I never mentioned either team or any player so I'm not putting blame on who started it or who did what. I couldn't give a toss who started it but both should be equally punished in my mind.

That's the only way to stop this stupidity continuing - throw both teams out of the championship for this year. That will softening the players' coughs and players might think a bit before they go starting or charging into a row the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

carter10 wrote: »

Source ??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

Seriously folks as the name suggests I am from Dungarvan ( we all have our issues I know) but a lot of people on here are commenting on the referee and his lack of action. Those of you with your comments how many of you were at the game and saw what actually happened. To start with the two sent off had a wrestling match that if dealt with by the ref at the time would have been two yellow cards nothing more. However the problem escalated from there with the ref walking the 50 or so yards he was away from the incident over. While her was doing this he was overtaken by at least 10 players rushing in. From there the ref turned his back away and walked to have a chat with his umpires and left what developed happen. I am stating what happened and have confirmed the above with a few city friends as to this. I have been going to matches close on 40 years and have never seen a ref turn his back on something so blatant. Both teams should be ashamed of there behaviour and it's my understanding that a meeting took place today with another tomorrow so let's hold off until it's finalised and wait on the judgement. Sadly I think it will be based on the refs report and as he turned his back on the incident not sure what he can say. In relation to the Sion goalie been hit if what I hear is true that will be dealt with by the dungarvan club. Like to finish by wishing the Dungarvan lad presently sitting in wuh a&e the best and hopefully everyone can move on from here and look forward after all we are one county. Sorry for the long post by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

chinguetti wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I never mentioned either team or any player so I'm not putting blame on who started it or who did what. I couldn't give a toss who started it but both should be equally punished in my mind.

That's the only way to stop this stupidity continuing - throw both teams out of the championship for this year. That will softening the players' coughs and players might think a bit before they go starting or charging into a row the next time.

That's all well in good in theory but how do you continue on with championship?

Would the remaining 4 teams go straight through to the quarter finals? I can't see the sixth placed team in the other group accepting relegation without playing a final and lismore (no disrespect intended just basing it on current standings) going straight through to a quarter final ?

Given the format of the championship throwing two teams out from the one group out would ruin it. Both teams will be fined and we move on. The whole thing has been ridiculously blown out of proportion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Advantage Tipp so on their home training ground, still will be good game though. Club game at weekend blown way out of proportion at this stage, one very bad pull, a lost ref and the rest was pushing and pulling. Time to move to the munster final

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Is this confirmed? I thought was no meeting until tomorrow night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

I agree that the whole thing has been blown out of proprtion. If there wasn't a video lwe wouldn't be giving this a second thought. It’s really the one dirty pull that has got everyone talking. Other than that it was all just jostling and wrestling and the foul-mouthed biddies’ in the crowd. Its just an unpleasant video overall and doesn’t show Waterford club hurling in a good light. I think the co board will come down heavy on both teams, they have to. But it will be yesterdays news news before long.
    Just with regard to the player who swung the hurley. Im shocked because hes been on the Mount Sion team with 10-12 years and I can honestly say hes never pulled a dirty stroke in his life and if you asked me to pick one player from that team who I wouldn’t have expected it from it would be him. I know the fellah and have played against him and hed be a very decent fellah I really don’t know what he was thinking there. I’m sure hes pretty low in himself today, rightly so for what he did. But I hope for his sake that he takes his punishment and everything moves on quickly and lessons are learned from this sorry saga

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

People are saying it's blown out of proportion but it's not, someday someone will get seriously hurt and this is far from the first time this has happened in the county. The county board has to act severely for both the safety of the players and for the goodness of Waterford GAA. This kind of behaviour needs to be gotten rid of in GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

KevIRL wrote: »

Hopefully. It makes sense hurling wise and supporter wise so I would imagine common sense will prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I hope if we're giving them home advantage that we're getting a sweetener again. Massive advantage to tipp to get to play at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

You have to laugh at this from Seán Walsh:
    “Then came a proposal from a Waterford delegate that they would consider coming to Thurles for the final if what he called a ‘sweetener’ was on the table. A ‘sweetener’ was something that came up last year (2011) - that if Waterford came to Thurles they’d get some of the money due to Semple Stadium for the hosting of that match.

“That’s a system we ruled completely out of order last year because that would throw all of our neutral venues expecting matches into doubt because anybody could go away then, do a deal with the host county and get money for it.

So in order to preserve the expectation of money-making days out for the big venues, those with small venues can't engage in money-making agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,922 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

think it will play into Tipp hands to play in thurles but its a lot handier and a bigger capacity than Limerick. If were beaten than we have a dredded drive home through Cashel/Clonmel etc where every yoke will be out with tipp flags.

btw Galway will win the all ireland this year i can see it

If nothing else, it would be nice to get the opportunity to pay our respects to Thurles's finest, Jimmy Doyle. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

I think Thurles is the best venue for all with the options available. Would the Waterford management really want to go to Limerick even? They have hardly any experience of hurling in the Gaelic Grounds & play the majority of their games in Thurles. Tipp nearly have a better record in the Gaelic Grounds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I won't be going wherever it is as I have my own match that day (unless they decide to play it in Drimnagh after my own match). I can understand why we all want it in Thurles - it's our favourite venue, it's handy, we have a good record there. But we'll be giving them home advantage which is worth a couple of points. Our record in the league there isn't great if I'm correct. Our best chance would be against them in Limerick. And Limerick would be plenty big for the two of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Its funny that most people having the benefit of video footage probably having watched it umpteen times still cant figure out who hit who or where it all started from, yet the same people are lambasting the ref for not having it all sussed out in real time. Hurlers on the ditch having a field day
    i like what you did there ,very crafty

We've only won twice in the League against Tipperary in Thurles, and our record in the Championship is P4 L4. It probably shows what a pain it is to get in and out of Limerick that people will read that and still prefer to play in Thurles!

Record against Tipp in Thurles: P18 W2 D2 L14
    Record against Tipp in Limerick: P4 W1 D0 L3
    (includes Senior League and Championship)

sionboy wrote: »

That was scandalous. Iggy is one of the most decent people involved at club or county level today. The perpetrator is known to our club at least so hopefully it is dealt with accordingly.
    But the same must be said about the blow Ryan Donnelly received.

Leave it to the people that attended the game so to pass judgment on the whole scenario rather than the keyboard experts that are jumping on the bandwagon what do you think?!!
    Don't forget to answer my questions from yesterday also,I am intrigued waiting to hear your expert views or have you made it back from the Fraher field yet you're so traumatised after the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Punt Road

I just had a little think about the venue thing. It led me to hope that the county board and team mgt have a serious think about this.

I’m going to talk in hurling terms for a wee bit, not location access, travel times, day expense or anything of that nature.

I fear we would be throwing ourselves into a pit of fire and snakes by going to Thurlas. Tipp simply couldn’t imagine Waterford going to their home and beating them in a Munster final. The Waterford crowds are small enough these days and we’d be heavily outnumbered, despite the additional few thousand that will travel for a final. The only way a crowd can be nulified is that you pull away early and that’s not likley in a game of this nature. However if they get a run on us with a raucous crowd, I would fear the worst.

BTW I’m not a johnny negative. Far from it, but this would be a different (and unfair) challenge altogether. The direct route sending Tipp down the other side of the draw is much more apealling to me.

Two scenarios worth considering…. we win and lets say KK beat Galway. Waterford avoid kk and Tipp in an AI semi. We lose and KK win…. ¼ final fraught with danger as a Clare or a Dublin have gained renewed momentum followed by a KK semi if you get through that. Tough road.

BTW theres a Munster title up for grabs here. A Munster title!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

deiseach wrote: »
    We've only won twice in the League against Tipperary in Thurles, and our record in the Championship is P4 L4. It probably shows what a pain it is to get in and out of Limerick that people will read that and still prefer to play in Thurles!

Record against Tipp in Thurles: P18 W2 D2 L14
    Record against Tipp in Limerick: P4 W1 D0 L3
    (includes Senior League and Championship)

Interesting, I suppose most matches would have taken place in Cork which would probably look better in terms of head to head for Waterford. Also this currant Waterford team have played a lot in Thurles over the last 2-3 years so should probably be their pick of venue.

I don't agree with the poster saying playing in Thurles is setting up an ambush with a big Tipp crowd. I reckon more Waterford would travel to Tipp than Limerick so it will be the same either way.

Just out of interest, would many Deise folk prefer Croke Park than Limerick? It would probably be a shorter journey on better roads & negates any advantage for either team. Geographically Croke Park would be the same distance for most supporters. I know it is definitely a non runner, but an Ulster final was taken to Croker a few years ago so its not unprecedented.

The sample size of games in Limerick is too small to tell us much, but that hasn't stopped plenty of people telling us we have a terrible record there while Thurles is practically a second home. Croke Park sounds like a great idea to me but given there was a lot of grief in Ulster about the dignity of their championship when the showcase game was moved outside the province, I dread the response from the Munster Council at such a proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Interesting, I suppose most matches would have taken place in Cork which would probably look better in terms of head to head for Waterford. Also this currant Waterford team have played a lot in Thurles over the last 2-3 years so should probably be their pick of venue.

I don't agree with the poster saying playing in Thurles is setting up an ambush with a big Tipp crowd. I reckon more Waterford would travel to Tipp than Limerick so it will be the same either way.

Just out of interest, would many Deise folk prefer Croke Park than Limerick? It would probably be a shorter journey on better roads & negates any advantage for either team. Geographically Croke Park would be the same distance for most supporters. I know it is definitely a non runner, but an Ulster final was taken to Croker a few years ago so its not unprecedented.

You'd have to factor in demand. Those Ulster finals got massive crowds. It would be half empty for Tipp Waterford

Staging games in half empty venues didn't worry the Munster Council when we had crowds which barely squeezed into five figures in recent years. They could have staged the games against Clare in 2012 and 2013 in Cusack Park and Walsh Park without too much bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

deiseach wrote: »
    Staging games in half empty venues didn't worry the Munster Council when we had crowds which barely squeezed into five figures in recent years. They could have staged the games against Clare in 2012 and 2013 in Cusack Park and Walsh Park without too much bother.

Sorry I didn't make my point clear. There was such huge demand for those Ulster finals that nowhere in Ulster could cater for it so they pretty much had to go to Croke Park. There is nowhere near that demand for this Munster final so I can't see why they would move it out of Munster when there are 3 venues big enough in the province

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement