Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

deisedude wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't make my point clear. There was such huge demand for those Ulster finals that nowhere in Ulster could cater for it so they pretty much had to go to Croke Park. There is nowhere near that demand for this Munster final so I can't see why they would move it out of Munster when there are 3 venues big enough in the province

I understood the point you were making, but I couldn't resist having a dig at the pomposity of the Munster Council ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Anytime we lost to Tipp in Thurles it was because we'd an inferior team or they were better on the day. If we go there and lose it will be the same reason and it being in Limerick would be same story. I hate Limericks pitch, and my memories from the ground. Bad days is all I can remember from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

archieknox wrote: »
    Leave it to the people that attended the game so to pass judgment on the whole scenario rather than the keyboard experts that are jumping on the bandwagon what do you think?!!
    Don't forget to answer my questions from yesterday also,I am intrigued waiting to hear your expert views or have you made it back from the Fraher field yet you're so traumatised after the game?

Didnt read it to be honest dont engage in silly talk. Just give my opinions thats what the board is for

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

Before the ref threw in the ball in the Dungarvan game, he had to have words with the midfielders and then gave a free and a yellow card almost straight away.

Both teams were obviously fired up but I do think the brawl could have been avoided with a better referee

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

SkipFC wrote: »
    Before the ref threw in the ball in the Dungarvan game, he had to have words with the midfielders and then gave a free and a yellow card almost straight away.

Both teams were obviously fired up but I do think the brawl could have been avoided with a better referee
    or a referee !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Anytime we lost to Tipp in Thurles it was because we'd an inferior team or they were better on the day. If we go there and lose it will be the same reason and it being in Limerick would be same story. I hate Limericks pitch, and my memories from the ground. Bad days is all I can remember from there.

Time to make new memories so?

Though I think if it's in thurles and this would heap more pressure on tipp as Waterford are massive underdogs as it is!

Look it....as good as tipp were I think Waterford if they perform and don't freeze could be very close to pulling it off no matter where it's held (image how great twud be to beat tipp in thurles in a Munster final though??)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

All these references to Hurlers on the ditch and keyboard warriors are laughable. The video footage is all over social media and probably gone worldwide now. It's a huge embarrassment not only to the two clubs involved but to the GAA in general. The player who pulled on the number 15 should get a year ban minimum, dirtiest stroke I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

PTH2009 wrote: »
    think it will play into Tipp hands to play in thurles but its a lot handier and a bigger capacity than Limerick. If were beaten than we have a dredded drive home through Cashel/Clonmel etc where every yoke will be out with tipp flags.
    You could look at it the other way, how satisfying it will be driving home through Tipp having bet them at their home ground. There will be arguably more pressure on All-Ireland favourites Tipp playing at home not to lose to Waterford's youngsters.

We should have no fear of playing Tipp in Thurles or anywhere else. If we lose it won't be because of the venue, it will be because they were better on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Between that and the Mahony incident shows good enough reason to postpone all club matches when the county team are playing during the championship. It appears that wasn't gleeson striking but it's just like rolling a dice each time seeing what players will make it through.

We don't need Tipp to beat us, we'll do it ourselves.

It's statements like this that allows an incompetent county board treat clubs like something they stood in. Clubs are the lifeblood of the GAA . Without it there would be no inter-county and certainly no stars who are nurtured by clubs from an early age. Sometimes I think fellas on this site don't even know that clubs exist. They'll drive to Thurles on a Sunday for a Waterford match but wouldn't drive 10 mins to a club game even though some of their "heroes" are playing.

If the county board ran the club championship properly instead of shoe horning a round for one group on a Tuesday then the whole standard of hurling in the county would improve and would benefit the county team. But the county board only treat club championship as something to get out of the way.

We're always talking about fine margins, and surely Thurles has to be worth something to Tipperary? Then again, maybe we'd all give up a point or two to avoid having to drive through every crappy hamlet between Carrick and Limerick Junction.

• Advertisement

Why is Thurles worth anything to Tipp? This home advantage stuff grills me sometimes. There's places in Waterford that are closer than some places in Tipp to Thurles.

What is it from the City, an hour and a half? They train at the Ragg in Drom/Inch, not in Thurles. In the league they play a maximum of 3/4 games there. In the championship they might play 0-1 games there, 2 maximum and very rarely. We play nearly as many games there in a year. I doubt you're going to see a hugely inflated Tipp crowd if its in Thurles as opposed to Limerick. I would imagine there'll be a similar increase in Waterford fans who's travel if it was in Thurles.

We've played 2 competitive games in Thurles this year and they were big big games, Tipp have played two league games there. There is no advantage worth talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Why is Thurles worth anything to Tipp? This home advantage stuff grills me sometimes. There's places in Waterford that are closer than some places in Tipp to Thurles.

What is it from the City, an hour and a half? They train at the Ragg in Drom/Inch, not in Thurles. In the league they play a maximum of 3/4 games there. In the championship they might play 0-1 games there, 2 maximum and very rarely. We play nearly as many games there in a year. I doubt you're going to see a hugely inflated Tipp crowd if its in Thurles as opposed to Limerick. I would imagine there'll be a similar increase in Waterford fans who's travel if it was in Thurles.

We've played 2 competitive games in Thurles this year and they were big big games, Tipp have played two league games there. There is no advantage worth talking about here.

Tipp never train in the Ragg, they always train in Dr. Morris park, the 3 pitches just up beside the stadium where you would often walk across depending on where you park.

Agree about Tipp not having any real advantage in Semple though, as you said Waterford have played there in 2 big games already this year so that should stand to them more than any league games that Tipp would have played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

I don't know why it is, but the stats don't lie. Just about any way you look at it, in any sport the team at home statistically does better. This includes hurling. Look at our record against tipp in thurles compared to walsh Park or fraher field. The home team clearly had an advantage.

Ah now. There may be no big advantage, but I notice you shy away from saying that there is absolutely no advantage. It has taken years for Arsenal to adjust to not playing their home games in Highbury and their trips to Wembley to play Champions League games in the late 90's were a disaster. There were professional footballers who shouldn't have allowed themselves to be influenced by bricks & mortar, yet that is what happened. Sportsmen at all levels imbibe a cocktail of superstition and ritual, and I find it improbable that Tipperary will have no benefit, however small, from playing in front of the Killinan End in the town where Jimmy Doyle plied his trade.

Don't get me wrong. There are other variables at work. If people think we should put more weight on those, so be it. But all other things being equal, Tipperary will have an advantage from playing in their home venue.

A sample size of 4 championship games in years where we were significantly weaker than Tipp. We somehow only lost to Tipp by 4 in 2009 there despite being about 15 points inferior. I wonder where there few points advantage were that day?

Other sports aren't comparable and especially Thurles.as it hosts a lot of.neutral Munster championship games. For your benefit Deisach, it will give Tipp no advantage in my opinion.

Lookit, we can agree to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Roy Coates

It's statements like this that allows an incompetent county board treat clubs like something they stood in. Clubs are the lifeblood of the GAA . Without it there would be no inter-county and certainly no stars who are nurtured by clubs from an early age. Sometimes I think fellas on this site don't even know that clubs exist. They'll drive to Thurles on a Sunday for a Waterford match but wouldn't drive 10 mins to a club game even though some of their "heroes" are playing.

If the county board ran the club championship properly instead of shoe horning a round for one group on a Tuesday then the whole standard of hurling in the county would improve and would benefit the county team. But the county board only treat club championship as something to get out of the way.

Well said Mick, I can't believe the mentality of any hurling fan who'd suggest we just shut things down for the summer and revert to playing county finals in the muck and ****e sometime in November or December.

Is that you, Tyrion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭blue note

A sample size of 4 championship games in years where we were significantly weaker than Tipp. We somehow only lost to Tipp by 4 in 2009 there despite being about 15 points inferior. I wonder where there few points advantage were that day?

Other sports aren't comparable and especially Thurles.as it hosts a lot of.neutral Munster championship games. For your benefit Deisach, it will give Tipp no advantage in my opinion.

Didn't someone also mention that we've had 18 league matches against Tipp in Thurles with only 2 wins? In the 00's alone we had 4 championship wins against them in neutral venues.

And who said we were 15 points inferior in 2009? We beat them the previous year. If I remember that game correctly Eoin Kelly or John Mullane missed a few great goal chances and we were still not that far behind in the end.

deiseach wrote: »
    Is that you, Tyrion?

Nah, first time poster. Been knocking about for a while, just decided to bite the bullet today as it's a slow day at work.

On the venue for the Munster final, I'm delighted it's Thurles and I think it reflects well on the team management and players that they have no qualms about heading into the lions den. Back in the 80's and 90's there isn't a hope in hell we'd even countenance conceding home advantage in a Munster final, but it's a new day in Waterford hurling and the fear factor is gone. You gotta love the exuberance of youth!!

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Didn't someone also mention that we've had 18 league matches against Tipp in Thurles with only 2 wins? In the 00's alone we had 4 championship wins against them in neutral venues.

And who said we were 15 points inferior in 2009? We beat them the previous year. If I remember that game correctly Eoin Kelly or John Mullane missed a few great goal chances and we were still not that far behind in the end.

We were 12 down just after half time and Tipp stopped playing, much like they did against Clare and Cork in their previous games that year. The following two years demonstrated the difference between the sides and they were at neutral venues. We shipped enough hammerings in neutral venues from them down through the years.

The venue is a sideshow and won't be a deciding factor in the outcome of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Didnt read it to be honest dont engage in silly talk. Just give my opinions thats what the board is for

Bulls**t! You jumped on here over the last two days defending the referee and having a go at both clubs and you not even at the game! Expressing an opinion on what you saw on social media and then having a go at the REAL gaa people who spend the money and can be bothered to go to support their clubs is laughable. As MickoTallow said about the keyboard experts on here,they'll be up the road to thurles but couldn't drive 10 mins down the road to a club game. Tonight I will be in the Fraher field,where will you be? ..........Joe.ie? Youtube maybe?
    I've more respect for the mount sion man that came on here defending his CLUB last night. Fair play to him,at least he was at the game supporting his team.

deiseach wrote: »
    Is that you, Tyrion?

Of course it is. Amazing these fellas go to ground when things get close to the bone. Sunshine supporters that in all honesty their opinions aren't worth the site they ply their dribble on.
    The sooner there is a proper Waterford GAA fans forum where these idiots can't hide behind pseudo names the better. THEY MIGHT HAVE TO GO TO A GAME THEN!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

We were 12 down just after half time and Tipp stopped playing, much like they did against Clare and Cork in their previous games that year. The following two years demonstrated the difference between the sides and they were at neutral venues. We shipped enough hammerings in neutral venues from them down through the years.

The venue is a sideshow and won't be a deciding factor in the outcome of the game.

If anything the venue puts pressure on tipp....they have to perform

Though enough about the venue....anyone else think that we've a shot at pulling it off...as If tipp play the short puck outs like the league semi final how will Waterford counter act it??
    Concede possession and look to fight it out in midfield/half back line

If tipp bypass this...have Waterford someone just to man mark calanan (I think forde?? Won't do as well again)

archieknox wrote:
    Of course it is. Amazing these fellas go to ground when things get close to the bone. Sunshine supporters that in all honesty their opinions aren't worth the site they ply their dribble on. The sooner there is a proper Waterford GAA fans forum where these idiots can't hide behind pseudo names the better. THEY MIGHT HAVE TO GO TO A GAME THEN!!

archieknox wrote:
    Of course it is. Amazing these fellas go to ground when things get close to the bone. Sunshine supporters that in all honesty their opinions aren't worth the site they ply their dribble on. The sooner there is a proper Waterford GAA fans forum where these idiots can't hide behind pseudo names the better. THEY MIGHT HAVE TO GO TO A GAME THEN!!

So new people aren't welcome on this thread? Fair enough cheerio lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Munster final confirmed for Thurles according to 32 Banter Road to Croker FB page. Make of that what you will

KevIRL wrote: »
    Munster final confirmed for Thurles according to 32 Banter Road to Croker FB page. Make of that what you will

The wha'?

Edit: confirmed by Munster GAA on Twitter -

Poor fare in the Fraher field between Ballyduff and Fourmilewater. Ballyduff raised a small effort around 10 mins into the second half but Fourmilewater steadied and pushed on to win comfortably. The placement of Jamie Barron in the sweeper role during this period helped them see it through.
    Tallow now top that group is that so? Any report from Walsh Park?

Interesting evening in the championship tonight. Two 100 per cent records gone and Tallow remain as the only unbeaten team in the group.
    As things stand (off the top of my head)
    Tallow 5
    Abbeyside 4
    Ballygunner 4
    De La Salle 3
    Fourmile 2
    Ballyduff 0

Absolutely wide open with 2 games to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So are real GAA folk the ones who go to club matches in Waterford?

I'm just asking cause I live and work in Dublin and I really can't afford the time or expense at weekends or weeknights to make the near 7 hour round trip to get to my home club.

Perhaps I should apply to the County Board for a grant!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement