Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Were better off going in against a tipp side that ran riot against limerick than one that just scrope by. Puts the onus back on them and gives us a realistic idea of what were facing in the final.

Tipp are possibly under more pressure than normal as they've afaik nothing won under your man (name escapes me!)

Any word on confirmation where this match is to take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Was that draw seeded? No decent matchups on it at all.

Was in Limerick yesterday for the match, the tunnel made it handy enough to get into the gaelic grounds and i actually got into the woodies carpark and parked literally across the road from the clare end terrace. The way home was a nightmare though, tipp town is screaming out to be bypassed. If the munster final is on in limerick the traffic on that road will be alot heavier than yesterday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ropaire wrote: »
    Was that draw seeded? No decent matchups on it at all.

Was in Limerick yesterday for the match, the tunnel made it handy enough to get into the gaelic grounds and i actually got into the woodies carpark and parked literally across the road from the clare end terrace. The way home was a nightmare though, tipp town is screaming out to be bypassed. If the munster final is on in limerick the traffic on that road will be alot heavier than yesterday too.
    Still have nightmares about coming home from a league final up there in 04 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Check the teamsheets. the no.15 was Ryan Donnelly. Thankfully hes ok. That video has made it onto the public domain. Pretty embarrassing from a waterford perspective. But shur hey its the clowns and fools that put the ref in charge are responsible. This was inevitable.. 😒😒

No.6 for Mt Sion was Gleeson or am I mistaken. I presume he will be well rested by the time he plays again.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

kstand wrote: »
    Who was number 6 for Mount Sion who drew the belt on the number 15? Crazy thing to do - completely lost the head. Number 15 was turned away slightly and never saw it coming.

It looks to me to be the Mout Sion number 9 not number 6, a lot people online in a rush to blame the county man straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Brothers
    seperated at birth

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

cornerboy wrote: »
    No.6 for Mt Sion was Gleeson or am I mistaken. I presume he will be well rested by the time he plays again.

Aussie was number 15 Eoin McGrath was number nine Gaffney was number 6. Ryan Donnelly was number 15 for Dungarvan.

Check the teamsheets. the no.15 was Ryan Donnelly. Thankfully hes ok. That video has made it onto the public domain. Pretty embarrassing from a waterford perspective. But shur hey its the clowns and fools that put the ref in charge are responsible. This was inevitable.. 😒😒
    Entertain a clown and become apart of the circus! Just as a matter of interest would you find him a competent referee in all your years of watching him officiating at games? You have a seat on the famous high table is this a game you would give him? Now that you seem to be fighting his corner has he been given any senior finals or semi finals in all his years of refereeing? Think of the word COMPETENT while replying!

Flabbergasted at the mid season break awarded by the senior management! Does this apply to all the squad or just the chosen few? Not a good precedent to be setting in afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

archieknox wrote: »
    Aussie was number 15 Eoin McGrath was number nine Gaffney was number 6. Ryan Donnelly was number 15 for Dungarvan.

Thanks for the clarification......wasn't at the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

cornerboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification......wasn't at the game.

Phew!
    Not that's it's nice to see anyone do that but really glad it wasn't our up and coming future All Star! The guy who did that will surely get a lengthy ban?

Hopefully, the red card Aussie got wasn't too serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Ah here,blaming the referee for the pull on your mans head is absolutely insane.

A bit of personal responsibility is required, lads have to go to work for f**k sake.

And as for the caveman in the stand "pull on the f**king c*nt"....Jesus wept.

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    I only heard this myself yesterday at the games in Dungarvan.

It will be interesting if this lad will be started for the Munster final. If he is I'd say a few of the rest of the panel will be scratching their heads in disbelief.

It's difficult to see any inter county manager allowing this to happen three weeks out from a provincial final.

I assume you are referring to the only county man sent off? Did you see what he was sent off for?

Could not see any manager having a problem with playing him?

Only in waterford would we call for a lads head, in KK the referees report would go missing (and has done in the past)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,792 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Flabbergasted at the mid season break awarded by the senior management! Does this apply to all the squad or just the chosen few? Not a good precedent to be setting in afraid.
    while tipp will be training hard our lads will be out drinking cocktails on the beaches in spain. Hopefully its only a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Strange decision alright.
    And the player in question has missed his fair share of training this season too.
    Not too surprising to hear of players thinking about going to America when you hear things like this is it?
    Hopefully the squad will stay united despite this and the player in question will mind himself on holidays and return to play a role against Tipp. This will have to put his prospects of a starting place in doubt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

After watching the video of the row, how people are blaming the ref is laughable. There was a row between players that were constantly moving and then broke into 3 further rows as it was quieting down, including the run to the mentors (who also ran into the pitch).

No ref stood any chance of stopping a row when the players seemed intent on keeping it going, regardless of sending off two men and the row still going on. He may not be the best ref in the county but its not his fault that both sides seem not bothered at all about hurling.

What will happen: not much I guess as per usual. What should happen: throw both teams out of the championship for this year. Fines aren't worth it, the only way players, mentors & supporters will stop this nonsense, the better.

And I don't give a toss who started it, there's a couple of attacks on that video that warrant a few years in jail if you did the same on the road outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,792 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Strange decision alright.
    And the player in question has missed his fair share of training this season too.
    Not too surprising to hear of players thinking about going to America when you hear things like this is it?
    Hopefully the squad will stay united despite this and the player in question will mind himself on holidays and return to play a role against Tipp. This will have to put his prospects of a starting place in doubt though.
    Id understand if its Shane Bennett as he just finished his leaving cert but come august when were more than likely out of the championship (hopefully not) would that have been a better time to go on holidays

Would Croke Park be an ideal place for the munster final to be played but the leinster football final is on there the same day. Sure didnt they play the Ulster football final there a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Deise_abu wrote: »
    I assume you are referring to the only county man sent off? Did you see what he was sent off for?

)

No I'm not.

The lad I'm referring to wasn't even playing in that match yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only just seen the brawl. The ladies in the crowd were clearly giving the indication that the ref hadn't a clue but unless you saw all the match you couldn't say.
    The player that swung wildly to yer man's head - Christ above but it is probably the most cowardly act I've seen on a gaa pitch in a very long time. The only saving grace for the injured player is that he was lucky it was only half a Hurley he was hit with. If somebody did that on a street he would be arrested and found guilty of assault.
    Severe player bans will undoubtedly come from that game, unfortunately the clubs will have to go fundraising to pay for the imminent fines also.

chinguetti wrote: »
    After watching the video of the row, how people are blaming the ref is laughable. There was a row between players that were constantly moving and then broke into 3 further rows as it was quieting down, including the run to the mentors (who also ran into the pitch).

No ref stood any chance of stopping a row when the players seemed intent on keeping it going, regardless of sending off two men and the row still going on. He may not be the best ref in the county but its not his fault that both sides seem not bothered at all about hurling.

What will happen: not much I guess as per usual. What should happen: throw both teams out of the championship for this year. Fines aren't worth it, the only way players, mentors & supporters will stop this nonsense, the better.

And I don't give a toss who started it, there's a couple of attacks on that video that warrant a few years in jail if you did the same on the road outside.

Again I reiterate its the fools that appointed him in the first place are wrong. Yes he hadn't a hope of stopping it once it started but a better referee wouldn't have aloud the game to develop into the melee that took place. Definitely not pretty and from our perspective its not something to be proud of either so we'll wait and see what action comes from it.

• Advertisement

No I'm not.

The lad I'm referring to wasn't even playing in that match yesterday.

Apologies just read the post again in context, originallythought it was in reference to yesterdays melee

Just on yesterday's game.

There can be no condoning what went on during the melee but if the referee had dealt with a couple of early incidents properly with players from both sides it definitely would have set a different tone and both teams would have been left under no illusions as to who was in charge.

it was too late once it kicked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

There can be no condoning what went on during the melee but if the referee had dealt with a couple of early incidents properly with players from both sides it definitely would have set a different tone and both teams would have been left under no illusions as to who was in charge.

dessie is not a referee

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Its going to be interesting to see what the Waterford county board do after yesterday's melee. Its makes very uncomfortable watching, at least one player with a clear strike of the hurley to the head of an opponent.

Now that the national media are running with the footage, the county board are likely to come under pressure to deal severely with the issue, especially with a similar incident when the sides met last year.

Brushing it under the carpet seems difficult on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Between that and the Mahony incident shows good enough reason to postpone all club matches when the county team are playing during the championship. It appears that wasn't gleeson striking but it's just like rolling a dice each time seeing what players will make it through.

We don't need Tipp to beat us, we'll do it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Between that and the Mahony incident shows good enough reason to postpone all club matches when the county team are playing during the championship. It appears that wasn't gleeson striking but it's just like rolling a dice each time seeing what players will make it through.

Yeah that's a great idea. Let's fcuk over 95% of the adult playing population and foundation of the whole organisation because of a bit of a scrap and a broken leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Again I reiterate its the fools that appointed him in the first place are wrong. Yes he hadn't a hope of stopping it once it started but a better referee wouldn't have aloud the game to develop into the melee that took place. Definitely not pretty and from our perspective its not something to be proud of either so we'll wait and see what action comes from it.

Thats a massive cop out . The behaviour of both clubs was terrible and looking for a scapegoat ill behoves you...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I know you're not seeking to deflect this but abrogating (even partially) responsibility isn't on. The referee has nothing to do with lads choosing to behave like animals. Whether he does his job well or poorly the players have a responsibility to themselves. He's incidental in that.

JeffKenna wrote: »

No disrespect, but that is an indictment on club hurlers.

I would have expected that comment from some other guys on here who have never seen a club match and only watched the county team on TV.

Nobody owns Waterford hurling. It's the preserve of everyone of us and every type of supporter is welcome but please do not disrespect the lads on the ground.

For anyone on here who has played hurling, even at the lowest grade, it's all about the club first and last.

It's an identity that is precious!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When 30 lads are up for a fight there's not much any ref can do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement