Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Roy Coates wrote: »
    Can you please outline the exact criteria that must be met to be a real senior team?

Don't finish in the bottom 2-4 of the senior championship, as per my proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

hardybuck wrote: »

So why are you suggesting Tallow or Abbeyside would be people's choice for Senior B?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Roy Coates

hardybuck wrote: »

We haven't done so in the last 5 or 6 years. So micktallow was correct, you were contradicting yourself in your initial post this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

What would peoples opinions be on having a 14 team championship with an east and west divisional side made up of junior and intermediate players?

So why are you suggesting Tallow or Abbeyside would be people's choice for Senior B?

Well played on Tuesday by the way Mick. I didn't make it down myself (who's idea was it to play championship games in the middle of the week ffs) but from what I've heard ye were well worth the win.

Hopefully we'll get another cut off ye later on and if not shur we'll meet in the B championshp next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Personally, I think there is a middle group of teams which are all quite close to each other. A number of teams could find themselves in that category.

Abbeyside and Tallow - both doing better initially than I thought. Abbeyside, just thought ye were beginning to slip a bit. Tallow, heard ye'd lost players, and I know numbers are tight down there. Hence my reasoning. Nothing controversial.

Well played on Tuesday by the way Mick. I didn't make it down myself (who's idea was it to play championship games in the middle of the week ffs) but from what I've heard ye were well worth the win.

Hopefully we'll get another cut off ye later on and if not shur we'll meet in the B championshp next year

Haha nice one. Thanks. I know for a fact our management team tried in vain to get this game changed from the Tuesday night but the county board were not for turning. They knew there was a distinct possibility that the Waterford footballers could be playing qualifiers that weekend yet they still fixed a round of hurling for that weekend. Basic planning f**k up.

hardybuck wrote:
    Abbeyside and Tallow - both doing better initially than I thought. Abbeyside, just thought ye were beginning to slip a bit. Tallow, heard ye'd lost players, and I know numbers are tight down there. Hence my reasoning. Nothing controversial.

That's all well and good but the comments you're been asked about were made this morning.
    So do you adopt a view at the beginning of the year and stick to it?

Haha nice one. Thanks. I know for a fact our management team tried in vain to get this game changed from the Tuesday night but the county board were not for turning. They knew there was a distinct possibility that the Waterford footballers could be playing qualifiers that weekend yet they still fixed a round of hurling for that weekend. Basic planning f**k up.

It's like our showcase competition is an inconvenience to our esteemed county board.

It's like our showcase competition is an inconvenience to our esteemed county board.

Couldn't agree more. All they want to do is get the games out of the way instead of trying to promote the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

I'm from Abbeyside mate, so here are a few facts for you.

We won the intermediate in 2003. Since then we have contested 1 county final, 3 semi finals and 9 quarter finals. However in your utopian vision of the senior championship we would be considered a B team in the morning. Can you please outline the exact criteria that must be met to be a real senior team?

I think one of his criteria is to be from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

OEP wrote: »
    I think one of his criteria is to be from the city.

Exactly!

By Hardy's criteria, we should have a senior championship with about 3 or 4 teams in it

Sure what use is it to have Dungarvan,, Tallow, Abbeyside, Lismore, Ballyduff etc competing in it.

Has he any idea how insulting it is to the rest of the clubs in the county who have a proud tradition of winning senior country championships. By his reckoning Ballyduff wouldn't have even contested the 2007 senior championship because they were only promoted two years previously and nobody gave them a chance at the start of that season.

It would be a far better move for the county board to reduce the Senior football championship to three or four teams and maybe have a 7 a side football championship for every other club in the county run over a long weekend and not to be wasting clubs valuable resources in idiotic football championships throughout a long season just because they feel obliged to field a football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Tickets???? For Munster Final when do they go on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    What would peoples opinions be on having a 14 team championship with an east and west divisional side made up of junior and intermediate players?

There was a group team system tried some years back, Gleann na Deise and another team in the west and faughs in eastern county and Meaghers in City area. It didnt really work, there was a few walkovers given and didnt seem to be much interest in the teams. I wouldnt see the point of it really

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Tickets???? For Munster Final when do they go on sale

10am tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭skaface

10am tomorrow

How much are tickets??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

comeraghs wrote: »
    I think the senior championship structure is pretty much as good as it can be right now!

but it's time to make the intermediate one an all-county system!

As proven here, Hardybucks proposal wont work as too many clubs will take exception to their teams being regraded.

This is what I would propose to freshen up the championship structures in the county.

Senior

Current system as it stands with 2 groups of 6. Except top 2 to go into semis and and 2nd and 3rd place go into 2 quarter finals. (Scrap the 4 team quarterfinal setup which makes no sense in leagues consisting of 6 teams)

Bottom2 teams from each group cross-play each other in relegation semi finals and losers then into relegation final.

4th place teams involvement for the year ends once league is over. It would ensure much more to play for in the group stages and be interesting to see if the likes of Ballygunner and De la Salle would be as pedestrian as they normally are in the group stages

All-county Intermediate Premier

Same System as senior. 2 groups of 6. Start with the top 6 intermediate teams from the west and top 6 from the east. Seeded depending on their performances intheir division last year.

Have 2 quarter finals as per senior knock-out setup

2 teams to get relegated and 2 promoted from the second intermediate grade to make things more competitive.

For argument sakes the top intermediate teams in the west would be Ardmore, Ring,Tourin, Ballysaggart, Stradbally and Shamrocks.

While in the east would be St Saviours, Clonea, Dunhill, Portlaw, Ferrybank and Ballygunner B’.

You would have a pretty strong championship there with 2 groups of 6 involving those teams.

Secondary Intermediate

Remaining intermediate teams from east and west put into 2 groups again with 2 TO BE PROMOTED and 2 to be relegated down from intermediate premier.

Have 4 quarter finals in knock-out stage for top 4 in each group. Keep as much interest as possible for teams in this grade

Teams in this grade would be the likes of Ballinameela, Modeligo, Brickey Rangers, Clashmore,Fourmilewater B’ from the West and St Mollerans, Erins Own, DLS, Mt Sion,Ballyduff lower, Tramore, Ballydurn from the east ( I admit I’m not notentirely sure of all intermediate teams I know some of those maybe junior, Itsjust for argument sake before people start jumping down my throat!).

Junior

Eastand West Junior Championships remain as they are with Junior proper and secondteams all in the one championship.

The above proposal would apply to football aswell.

Its a long shot I know as it would mean the divisional boards agreeing to vote for an allcounty intermediate system. But a better one for the good of the standard of GAA in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Gardner

Quite simple in my opinion

Senior stays as is. 2 groups of 6.
    Top 2 teams straight into semi. 2 and 3rd into quarter final. Bottom 2 in each group relegated to intermediate. (you have 5 games to prove your senior hurling status otherwise bye bye)

Intermediate 2 groups in all county championship. (upto 8 to 9 games in league)
    Top 2 teams straight into semi. 2 and 3rd into quarter final. Bottom 2 in each group relegated to Junior. Winners of intermediate final go onto Munster club but both teams in final are already promoted.

As proven here, Hardybucks proposal wont work as too many clubs will take exception to their teams being regraded.

This is what I would propose to freshen up the championship structures in the county.

That's a little bit disingenuous, what that particular poster was pulled up on were comments in their initial post, where a number of clubs were casually dismissed as not really being of "senior standard".

Anyway that's another argument. The proposals you've put forward are pretty much bang on to where I'd like to see the championships go, with the exception of the 2 up 2 down in intermediate.
    Any chance you could have your club submit it as a motion to the next convention?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tickets for Munster final now on sale on tickets.ie for those that need them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Gardner wrote: »
    Quite simple in my opinion

Senior stays as is. 2 groups of 6.
    Top 2 teams straight into semi. 2 and 3rd into quarter final. Bottom 2 in each group relegated to intermediate. (you have 5 games to prove your senior hurling status otherwise bye bye)

Intermediate 2 groups in all county championship. (upto 8 to 9 games in league)
    Top 2 teams straight into semi. 2 and 3rd into quarter final. Bottom 2 in each group relegated to Junior. Winners of intermediate final go onto Munster club but both teams in final are already promoted.

Relegating 33% of your senior teams in one year seems like overkill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

It's a pity clubs get so hung up with being senior, irrespective of what that means. If you regraded a bit and ended up with fewer senior and intermediate teams the standard of both divisions would be up. And if you are good enough to get to senior you can get promoted. If you're not you're playing in the right division.

Sure we could call everyone senior if it makes people feel better. I play Junior F in Dublin. You could call it Senior Z if you want, but it'll be the same teams and players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

Do the results so far this year not prove the the championship is perfect with 12 teams in senior? Mt. Sion are supposedly a top team but have lost 2 games. De la Salle lost to Abbeyside and drew with Tallow but then beat Ballygunner. Tallow are sitting top of their group yet people here would have the relegated in a flash if the number of teams was to be reduced. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't Abbeyside beaten everyone at least once in the last few years? But they're not good enough according to some. Of course there are going to be a few hammerings by what harm, that happens in every league in every sport.

Intermediate and Junior on the other hand need restructuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

blue note wrote: »
    It's a pity clubs get so hung up with being senior, irrespective of what that means. If you regraded a bit and ended up with fewer senior and intermediate teams the standard of both divisions would be up. And if you are good enough to get to senior you can get promoted. If you're not you're playing in the right division.

Sure we could call everyone senior if it makes people feel better. I play Junior F in Dublin. You could call it Senior Z if you want, but it'll be the same teams and players.

By that logic you could just keep diluting every competition until you have the best three or four teams playing each other on a round robin basis all the time.

blue note wrote: »

I don't get this remark, what do you mean "clubs are hung up about being senior"? Each and every club has worked bloody hard and has earned the right to be there.
    Waterford will play in Division 1A next year. Are you telling me it wouldn’t bother you if some lad from another county said to you we weren’t really a top side and our real level is Division 1B?

Would arguing the point with them imply you were hung up on being a Division 1A side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

From the Munster GAA website:

Tickets for this game will go on sale from 10am on Friday June 26th while stocks last at Centra and Supervalu outlets and via tickets.ie. Tickets will also be allocated to the participating County Boards.

Covered Stand: €35
    Covered Stand Juvenile: €5
    Uncovered Stand Adult: €30
    Uncovered Stand Juvenile: €5
    Adult Terrace: €25
    Juvenile Terrace: €5
    (Tipperary are allocated the Killinan End terrace, Waterford will be in the Town End Terrace)

http://munster.gaa.ie/ticketing-store-locator/
    https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/24988/munster-gaa-hurling-championship-final-tipperary-v-waterford-semple-stadium-12-July-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

(Tipperary are allocated the Killinan End terrace, Waterford will be in the Town End Terrace)

Our price for playing the game in Thurles should have been to have our fans in the Killinan End. We'd soon see how irrelevant those kind of things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got 4 tickets for row gg for section 208 off tickets.ie dis morning.

Advice to anyone don't take tickets in the last few rows of section 206 esp the outside ones as you will have an obstructed view because of the commentators box

Feels great to be getting tickets for a Munster final instead of tickets for a qualifier down in wexford park or somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

deiseach wrote: »
    Our price for playing the game in Thurles should have been to have our fans in the Killinan End. We'd soon see how irrelevant those kind of things are.

Indeed such a thing could have a huge bearing on the outcome :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

deiseach wrote: »

Yea Waterfords few hundred fans (i.e. Friends, Family and relations of the players) should have been given the Killinan end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement