Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Who was the referee? And also what were the highlights of the scuffle?

Referee was way too slow in getting to the row that started the whole fracas. He walked past another Mr sion and dungarvan player laying into each other and went to consult his umpires while all hell was breaking loose with about 20 players and mentors now involved. If he had calmed things down before going to his umpires this embarrassment may have been averted. Don't know who started it, so not laying the blame on either club, but referee could have quelled it when there was only two players involved. Then when it was too late he started flashing yellows, many of which were mind boggling decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Terrible news about Billy Nolan - gutted for the lad - a nicer youngfellas you couldn't meet, we were caught for a goalie before he made the step up to the 21s, who can we turn to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Terrible news about Billy Nolan - gutted for the lad - a nicer youngfellas you couldn't meet, we were caught for a goalie before he made the step up to the 21s, who can we turn to now?

also gutted for billy terrible to see any player injured like that ..didn'think seanie barry was gone to america yet is he even definite about going anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Sean Daly injured at the moment too, back and knee problems I think! No goalkeeper 🙈

Oh good god is he? Disaster so. Hopefully Billy Nolan's injury isn't as bad as first thought so.

also gutted for billy terrible to see any player injured like that ..didn'think seanie barry was gone to america yet is he even definite about going anywhere?

Even if we had a minor goalie from this year or last year to turn to but that was billy!
    It's a shame, he is a cracking player, feel really sorry for the lad

• Advertisement

Again you are stirring it with your post but please god nobody takes the bait and we can have ADULT discussions on here instead of point scoring. You know that that wasn't the case so please try to keep to the script!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

Hardly fair if both teams and a blackguard from one team in particular set out to cause mayhem. The referee can hardly be expected to hold back the tide, the responsibility to behave is entirely on the participants...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Could someone list the teams as per the programme for the Mt.Sion game please?

Hardly fair if both teams and a blackguard from one team in particular set out to cause mayhem. The referee can hardly be expected to hold back the tide, the responsibility to behave is entirely on the participants...

What were the sendings off for striking with hurleys?

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    Referee was way too slow in getting to the row that started the whole fracas. He walked past another Mr sion and dungarvan player laying into each other and went to consult his umpires while all hell was breaking loose with about 20 players and mentors now involved. If he had calmed things down before going to his umpires this embarrassment may have been averted. Don't know who started it, so not laying the blame on either club, but referee could have quelled it when there was only two players involved. Then when it was too late he started flashing yellows, many of which were mind boggling decisions.

To be honest he was completely out of his dept as a referee. If blame is to be laid at anyone's door it must be the clowns that appointed him in the first place. Especially as last year's corresponding fixture had the same rumpus in it.

• Advertisement

archieknox wrote: »
    Again you are stirring it with your post but please god nobody takes the bait and we can have ADULT discussions on here instead of point scoring. You know that that wasn't the case so please try to keep to the script!

Ah... Ok... I will be ignoring you from now on

DeiseDawg wrote: »

Easy to blame the ref and to expect him to quell a row of 20 people laying into each other is ridiculous. What was he to do to earn his 30 euro ? Don a superman suit and sort out the perpetrators.All he has is a whistle His job is to ascertain the cause of the problem , what both teams and mentors do is beyond his control when carried out as a mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Does anyone know where the Munster Final
    is going to be played ??
    I know most are saying that it will be in Limerick,
    but has there been any official announcement.

Ah... Ok... I will be ignoring you from now on

Please do and when you eventually decide to go to a game make sure to enlighten us with your expert analysis by posting what you've seen and not heard on here! Bye for now xx

To be honest he was completely out of his dept as a referee. If blame is to be laid at anyone's door it must be the clowns that appointed him in the first place. Especially as last year's corresponding fixture had the same rumpus in it.

Both teams should be punished as this is the second year in succession they have indulged in this sort of behaviour . This lack of discipline cannot be excused by the comment that in your opinion the referee was out of his depth. Again it is easy to excuse the many by blaming Dessie. Brian Gavin could have been in charge but both teams seemed more than anxious to indulge in the disgraceful scenes. And it was after just 8 miniutes which prompts me to think that it was little required to light the tinder.

Both teams should be punished as this is the second year in succession they have indulged in this sort of behaviour . This lack of discipline cannot be excused by the comment that in your opinion the referee was out of his depth. Again it is easy to excuse the many by blaming Dessie. Brian Gavin could have been in charge but both teams seemed more than anxious to indulge in the disgraceful scenes. And it was after just 8 miniutes which prompts me to think that it was little required to light the tinder.

When a referee dictates from the start of any game and both teams can see he will not be taking any nonsense then more often than not the game will pass without much incident but as the game today showed when the ref is out of his dept its only natural that teams will push things to the limit and that's what happened here. I'm not excusing what happened but in a highly charged championship game all edges will be taken if players think they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Who was Mt.sions centre back? I can't believe he didn't get sent off - disgraceful pull across someone's head

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Munster Council are to announce venue for Munster Final on Tuesday..
    Hopefully common sense prevails, and we agree to play in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

skaface wrote: »

I agree...traffic around the Gaelic grounds is a nightmare before and after the match, probably be more support head up to thurles than limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

When a referee dictates from the start of any game and both teams can see he will not be taking any nonsense then more often than not the game will pass without much incident but as the game today showed when the ref is out of his dept its only natural that teams will push things to the limit and that's what happened here. I'm not excusing what happened but in a highly charged championship game all edges will be taken if players think they can get away with it.

Absolute nonsense argument. This is not like blaming the teacher for the kids misbehaving in school. This is about adults who have a duty to go out and not start swinging hurleys at the opposition and behaving like thugs. Both sets of players should be ashamed of themselves. You cannot do anything about the ref is but what you can do is ensure your team goes out and conducts themselves properly and plays the game in a sporting manner. Just be a man about it and face up to the fact that your club behaved appallingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They will prob end up putting the game on in kilarney lol. Thurles would be ideal but it will prob be Limerick

We would be giving tipp home advantage a pitch they trained on and will train on for the next 3 weeks although dublin play in croke park almost all the time in the championship they don't train there while tipp train in semple stadium.

Wherever it is die hards like myself will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I would think it takes mega fans to go to finals

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Why is there any confusion about this - we don't have home and away agreements so the game will not be in walsh Park or Semple. With Cork out of action Limerick is the only feasible venue....much as we dislike it ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Why is there any confusion about this - we don't have home and away agreements so the game will not be in walsh Park or Semple. With Cork out of action Limerick is the only feasible venue....much as we dislike it ...............

limerick is a very small tight pitch would it not suite waterford and there style of play to have the game in thurles , not to mention atmosphere and logistics and in general all round better location

limerick is a very small tight pitch would it not suite waterford and there style of play to have the game in thurles , not to mention atmosphere and logistics and in general all round better location

Its going to be Limerick, unless our co. board tries to do some kind of financial deal like they tried to do with the Cork county board I think it was in 2010. People giving out about having to travel to Limerick I mean come on its not like the other side of the universe. Its under 2 hours from waterford city an hour and a half from most of the west not that long a journey in the larger scheme of things. Id give my right arm to be home for it

Absolute nonsense argument. This is not like blaming the teacher for the kids misbehaving in school. This is about adults who have a duty to go out and not start swinging hurleys at the opposition and behaving like thugs. Both sets of players should be ashamed of themselves. You cannot do anything about the ref is but what you can do is ensure your team goes out and conducts themselves properly and plays the game in a sporting manner. Just be a man about it and face up to the fact that your club behaved appallingly.

If you bothered to read my previous posts I did say it was frightening and dangerous and had no place on a GAA field and that both teams were at fault. I am not for one moment making excuses but the facts of the matter are if you have a weak referee you always have the possibility of what went on today happening at any stage during a game. And he IS a weak referee and again I blame the fools that appointed him. A strong referee whom stamps his authority on a game early stops the possibility of the scenes we had today happening under his watch. He doesn't have a full grasp of the rules and players can sense that. Ryan Donnelly is a very lucky man that he wasn't seriously injured in the fracas. A blow to the head with a broken hurley swung like a hatchet in any other walk of life would see the perpetrators locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Its going to be Limerick, unless our co. board tries to do some kind of financial deal like they tried to do with the Cork county board I think it was in 2010. People giving out about having to travel to Limerick I mean come on its not like the other side of the universe. Its under 2 hours from waterford city an hour and a half from most of the west not that long a journey in the larger scheme of things. Id give my right arm to be home for it

its an hour and a half from dungarvan ..............but on the day of a game can be 3 1/2 hrs to get home .... I think you'll find that's most peoples issue

Anyone can take the score a referee is there to be sure everything is fair and order is kept...i dont like to criticise but des didnt even use the whistle for the first minute or two of the brawl or if he did no one heard it.its not good enough to leave a referee that is not capable (he definitely is not) into these games.its only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. All teams do have a duty to go out and play the game without behaving this way but things often get heated and more often when a team know they can get away with it they will

If you bothered to read my previous posts I did say it was frightening and dangerous and had no place on a GAA field and that both teams were at fault. I am not for one moment making excuses but the facts of the matter are if you have a weak referee you always have the possibility of what went on today happening at any stage during a game. And he IS a weak referee and again I blame the fools that appointed him. A strong referee whom stamps his authority on a game early stops the possibility of the scenes we had today happening under his watch. He doesn't have a full grasp of the rules and players can sense that. Ryan Donnelly is a very lucky man that he wasn't seriously injured in the fracas. A blow to the head with a broken hurley swung like a hatchet in any other walk of life would see the perpetrators locked up.

you keep saying 'im not making excuses' but then go on to do just that which is quite funny. Bottom line is if it happened in the street that person has to take account of their actions as there is no referee to blame. A poor referee is not a licence to go around assaulting other lads with a hurley like a madman..

• Advertisement

you keep saying 'im not making excuses' but then go on to do just that which is quite funny. Bottom line is if it happened in the street that person has to take account of their actions as there is no referee to blame. A poor referee is not a licence to go around assaulting other lads with a hurley like a madman..

I agree with you 100% in the fact that its not ok to go around assaulting each other on the field but the referee is there to keep order he didnt even attempt to do that for the first few minutes...i can honestly say if he was up to it he would of known exactly where it begun and two red cards would have been given immediately which would almost definitely have diffused the situation but instead he wandered around like he was lost. then consult with umpires if it still continues with the rest of the team and mentors as in fairness he cant be expected to see everything but he was like a headless chicken he really wasnt sure what to do. He must show authority and knock it on the head. Im not party to either team but I was honestley afraid someone was going to get seriously injured. The people appointing the referees must also take responsibility they know full well who is capable and who is not putting a ref like dessie into this isnt fair on the referee or the teams. 8 minutes fighting...3 minutes added...5 minutes wasted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement