Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Ah here no one died like. He'll come back the stronger for it have no worries about pauric.

The opportunity is there for someone else to step up in the senior team now, thats the nature of sport.

Remember the guy is an amateur and is supposed to sit his exams this week. For once just look beyond the hurling thing and think of the personal side of it. When i say im gutted for him i really mean it as you could not meet a more genuinely nicer fella so here's hoping his operation goes well today and his recovery is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭skaface

Very misfortune on the lad
    Hopefully everything works out for him and we see him back playing
    in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Tough break for the lad. Awful thing to happen and I wish him the best and hope to see him back again soon. But some of the reactions on social media have been a bit ott to say the least. Ive seen people offering 'thoughts and prayers to pauric and his family'. You wouldnt see as much mourning for someone that has passed away. i think some people have gotten a bit carried away with the hype of last week. Remember last year philip got a bad break there was barely a squeak about it. Its great to see the love out there for pauric but keep it real aswell. He has been our most important forward this year so far, so the obvious question straight away among hurling fans is whose going to lead the attack now. I dont see how asking the question is insensitive. Not more insensitive than the people saying his leg is broken in 4 places when he was hardly off the stretcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Just heard about Mahony, I really feel for the guy, he was set for a big season and I was looking forward to watching him in the championship.

Hopefully it doesn't cause serious disruption to his everyday personal life, though sadly you'd imagine it will to some extent. He's young though, and he's in peak physical condition so I've no doubt he'll pick up from where he left off once he recovers. Best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'd feel very sorry for him personally because I'd imagine missing the championship is probably the biggest disappointment of it all. He missed a lot of 2013, and missed the chance to captain the u21s against Clare and play in the Kilkenny game. I remember his pre season was disrupted and he copped a bit of flak in the Clare game. He was a lot of people's player of the club championship in 2013 and he definitely should have won it last year, he was awesome for Ballygunner against Cratloe and Mount Sion and ever since then for college and County.

He has an unbelievable amount of hurling done since he last got a break, particularly since the turn of the year. But undoubtedly championship is what they all look forward to, hopefully he recovers well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

No matter what county any player is from from no wants to see another player injured
    . Wish padric nothing but the best in he's recovery and he'll come back stronger from it like many others in the past

Sad news as always to hear of any injury and cork in hurling and football suffered this many time
    No doubt a huge huge loss now for Waterford going forward as while others can step in to do a job it's very hard to be as good as him and he's frees were sustainable excellent accuracy and he was a big game performer

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

No matter what county any player is from from no wants to see another player injured

That goes without saying.

You are the most parochial and tribal person I've ever come across.

That goes without saying.

You are the most parochial and tribal person I've ever come across.

Okay thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

There was a few nervous people when Austin Gleeson went down injured today in Fraher Field... But thankfully he was fine.
    Hard to tell how good Mt Sion were because cappoquin were hopelessly out of their depth, but they looked like a big strong team, well able to take scores, maybe stronger contenders this year - will be more clear after them next day maybe cappoquin are just extremely poor. On this showing there can't be a team worse then them at senior

We'll take the win tonight and move on. Brutal conditions for hurling and add to that us losing Sean Ryan to a red card,we battled hard to gain the victory. Lismore to their credit were well organised and with 10 mins to go it looked like they might claim the victory. Alot of our fellas have had a reality check after the last 2 games but on the positive side i suppose we did battle hard tonight to gain the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Any report on the Dungarvan lismore game. Wasn't able to make it over there tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

archieknox wrote: »
    We'll take the win tonight and move on. Brutal conditions for hurling and add to that us losing Sean Ryan to a red card,we battled hard to gain the victory. Lismore to their credit were well organised and with 10 mins to go it looked like they might claim the victory. Alot of our fellas have had a reality check after the last 2 games but on the positive side i suppose we did battle hard tonight to gain the win.

Honn the old boro

Two players to stand out tonight were Gavin Crotty and Ray Barry. Both were excellent for their respective teams. Fine stickmen.

Two players to stand out tonight were Gavin Crotty and Ray Barry. Both were excellent for their respective teams. Fine stickmen.

What's the story with Donnelly?

What's the story with Donnelly?

Still out injured and has missed out on alot of training/challenge games so won't be involved either next week i would imagine. Big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

I'd feel very sorry for him personally because I'd imagine missing the championship is probably the biggest disappointment of it all. He missed a lot of 2013, and missed the chance to captain the u21s against Clare and play in the Kilkenny game. I remember his pre season was disrupted and he copped a bit of flak in the Clare game. He was a lot of people's player of the club championship in 2013 and he definitely should have won it last year, he was awesome for Ballygunner against Cratloe and Mount Sion and ever since then for college and County.

He has an unbelievable amount of hurling done since he last got a break, particularly since the turn of the year. But undoubtedly championship is what they all look forward to, hopefully he recovers well.

Plus probably our most consistent player of the league and also top scorer along with Patrick Horgan. Terrible loss for the championship ...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Reportedly pauraic Mahony is having surgery today - wishing him all the best, hopefully it is successful and he can play some role for ballygunnar before the year is out. The guy has given unreal service to club and county already.

It's a shame for Waterford as Pauraic was the lynchpin for us, but things like that don't matter much this morning.

All the best Pauraic!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Best wishes to Pauric today - has been a fantastic servent to Waterford and hard to believe he is only 23 - hopefully like his brother he will retrun stronger then ever - blow to Waterford this year but there is much more at stake for Pauric personally - hopefully he can stil sit his exams, and please God his recovery will be fast and comprehensive and that he will return stronger than ever to have a long future for club and county.

On a side note our "serious injury" list over the last couple of years has been unlicky to say the least, Philip Mahony, Eddie Barrett and Stephen Daniels - all serious injuries in a 24 month period - hopefully their recovery will give Pauric strenght and belief on his own journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Best of luck with the surgery Paudie. Read somewhere that it's his birthday today aswel, that's just adding insult to injury. Hope the guy is able to sit his exams, it's his final year so I really hope this doesn't affect him too badly. Philip broke his leg and ankle this time last year and was back for BG's club campaign by the end of September, pure motivation to return stronger than ever, I've no doubt Paudie will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

blueflame wrote: »
    Best wishes to Pauric today - has been a fantastic servent to Waterford and hard to believe he is only 23 - hopefully like his brother he will retrun stronger then ever - blow to Waterford this year but there is much more at stake for Pauric personally - hopefully he can stil sit his exams, and please God his recovery will be fast and comprehensive and that he will return stronger than ever to have a long future for club and county.

On a side note our "serious injury" list over the last couple of years has been unlicky to say the least, Philip Mahony, Eddie Barrett and Stephen Daniels - all serious injuries in a 24 month period - hopefully their recovery will give Pauric strenght and belief on his own journey.

Martin O'Neill as well, and thankfully all the lads came back from them which is a testament to their drive and determination. It's not all that long ago these kind on injuries would end lads playing days and, although they're extremely unfortunate they're well taken care of. Some doze though!
    As for the county team, we've got plenty of strength in depth player wise that we'll need now, Paurics a hard man to replace on his current form but someone is going to get a cut at center forward now and hopefully they can hit the same heights. Did I see a page or two back that Ray Barry was playing too? Is he not in the US?

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill as well, and thankfully all the lads came back from them which is a testament to their drive and determination. It's not all that long ago these kind on injuries would end lads playing days and, although they're extremely unfortunate they're well taken care of. Some doze though!
    As for the county team, we've got plenty of strength in depth player wise that we'll need now, Paurics a hard man to replace on his current form but someone is going to get a cut at center forward now and hopefully they can hit the same heights. Did I see a page or two back that Ray Barry was playing too? Is he not in the US?

He played against us last night. Apparently off to America for the summer i was told at the game. Would definitely be an option if he was around as he's a versatile player. Hard to stop these fellas going though when the opportunity presents itself.
    As for Paudie it would be great to see him back before the end of the season but im presuming that's if everything runs smoothly with the operation/recovery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He played against us last night. Apparently off to America for the summer i was told at the game. Would definitely be an option if he was around as he's a versatile player. Hard to stop these fellas going though when the opportunity presents itself.
    As for Paudie it would be great to see him back before the end of the season but im presuming that's if everything runs smoothly with the operation/recovery etc.
    How did Kieran Power play last night?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How did Kieran Power play last night?

Did fine. Really came into it in the last 10 mins when we needed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Any reviews of the senior club championship games? Any players stand out etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Have to mention Michael Ryan’s Westmeath having a massive win against Antrim. No coincidence in my opinion that they are starting to turn heads since he went up there. Top coach and top manager. Still feel it was lousy what happened to him here. I thought he was doing an excellent job in 2013 when he was ousted and it shouldn’t be forgotten. But by gone’s are by gone’s and I’m delighted he’s doing well. How he would love a crack at Waterford in the championship at some stage I’m sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to mention Michael Ryan’s Westmeath having a massive win against Antrim. No coincidence in my opinion that they are starting to turn heads since he went up there. Top coach and top manager. Still feel it was lousy what happened to him here. I thought he was doing an excellent job in 2013 when he was ousted and it shouldn’t be forgotten. But by gone’s are by gone’s and I’m delighted he’s doing well. How he would love a crack at Waterford in the championship at some stage I’m sure!

He's a top coach and we'll done to him. Hopefully they give the quarter final a good rattle.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/derek-mcgrath-wont-rush-decision-to-find-replacement-for-pauric-mahony-330050.html
    It's a very good interview to be fair
    Mcgrath makes very valid points
    Very hard to move gleasson up as it affects the whole dynamic of the team with two changes
    He is right to deflate the pressure by saying cork hold all the aces to try and put it back on them
    Cork are still going in to this quiet as even Sundays papers had all their talk about Waterford and nothing about cork which suits cork imo

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Any reviews of the senior club championship games? Any players stand out etc

Would love to see people's views on first round of championship. Only saw 2 games myself Tallow (obviously) v De La Salle and Ballygunner v Ballyduff. Won't comment on either cos I'm bias on first one and there's been enough said on the second.

The only comment ill make is once again poor crowds at both games with atmosphere very dead at both. Exciting second half in the Tallow game but that excitement was not evident in majority of support.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1105151911-good-news-on-the-injury-front-for-cork-hurlers/

Can't see how we'll win this game with all the talk about us. Wish theyd stop writing articles about how we're the best hurling team of all time. That ad on WLR about us never being beaten by Cork isn't helping either.

And therea clearly an undertone to the last interview there with Derek that we won't move Austin up because we don't need him up there v Cork. Bit of shadow boxing Yano, not playing the whole hand now but keeping some in reserve.

Very arrogant I think and could be our downfall. Cork would never do something like that.

• Advertisement

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/1105151911-good-news-on-the-injury-front-for-cork-hurlers/

Can't see how we'll win this game with all the talk about us. Wish theyd stop writing articles about how we're the best hurling team of all time. That ad on WLR about us never being beaten by Cork isn't helping either.

And therea clearly an undertone to the last interview there with Derek that we won't move Austin up because we don't need him up there v Cork. Bit of shadow boxing Yano, not playing the whole hand now but keeping some in reserve.

Very arrogant I think and could be our downfall. Cork would never do something like that.
    I don't think mcgrath saying didn't need gleasson up front he clearly said he's good but huge difference to him and o mahony and they do have huge problem to fix
    I hope waterford play gleasson up front cork sweeper will limit he's space and he's huge loss at the back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement