Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

OEP wrote: »
    I hear the football championship won't be finished in time for the Munster club, which is on the first weekend of November. The hurlers only got to the semi final, there was ample time to ensure the competitions finished in time. Why does there need to be a weekend off in between the hurling quarters and semis? Also, the football munster club fixture is the weekend before the hurling - so why couldn't they delay the hurling championship slightly to accommodate a round of football.

I know some people are deeply against football in this county, which is fair enough when it comes to the county team but our senior clubs have always competed well in the club championship.

a bit of mess alrite and a shame we wont have a team in the munster championship with the nire doing so well last year in the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Dead right Hardy, there was no reason that DLS and Lismore didn't play the same weekend as the quarter finals. To be asking DLS then to play football on the Tuesday with nothing to play for, and so the knock on effect of the walkover and implications with points difference...

How long are these lads planning fixtures? O Keeffe must be there 6 years At this stage? We'd have no Munster representative if we had made an all ireland final.

The Ballygunner v Fourmilewater match has been called off I think. WLR reporting that the funeral was today. Is there a protocol on these things I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Utterly shell-shocked. Absolute gent and a true Deise Gael.

He had a fantastic career and gave unreal service to Waterford GAA. Played at full forward in the AI minor final of 1992. Amazingly made his senior intercounty championship debut over 13 years later when he came on as a sub against Cork in the AI quarter final in 05 in Croke Park. Transferred to Ballygunner from his home club of Stradbally at a young age and won many co senior championships and a Munster club title with them. Returned to his beloved Stradbally late in his career, Very accomplished footballer aswell winning All Ireland Junior medal with Waterford if I'm not mistaken. Was now one of the up and coming refreees in the game. My heart goes out to his family and wide circle of friends. RIP Paul

I played club hurling and football against Paul from minor all the way through to senior football with club; he returned to Stradbally for a year to play football but I can't remember the year.

Won a junior All Ireland with him in 04, we travelled home from Manchester together after the semi final as we were only two not flying to Dublin.

Played minor and U21 together as well. He was a really skillful footballer for a big lad.

Hard, skillful and committed on the field and a larger the life jolly rogue off the field.

Still in shock since hearing it. Thoughts with his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

SkipFC wrote: »
    What's the story with this Ballinameela v Tourin game? Started working out of the country and feeling a bit out of the loop.

Its the intermediate relegation play off. Clashmore were relegated last year but were ratified to stay up intermediate. So theres a rumour that both clubs could object to being relegated on the same grounds

I hear the football championship won't be finished in time for the Munster club, which is on the first weekend of November. The hurlers only got to the semi final, there was ample time to ensure the competitions finished in time. Why does there need to be a weekend off in between the hurling quarters and semis? Also, the football munster club fixture is the weekend before the hurling - so why couldn't they delay the hurling championship slightly to accommodate a round of football.

I know some people are deeply against football in this county, which is fair enough when it comes to the county team but our senior clubs have always competed well in the club championship.

An absolute disgrace this is. No excuse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Dead right Hardy, there was no reason that DLS and Lismore didn't play the same weekend as the quarter finals. To be asking DLS then to play football on the Tuesday with nothing to play for, and so the knock on effect of the walkover and implications with points difference...

How long are these lads planning fixtures? O Keeffe must be there 6 years At this stage? We'd have no Munster representative if we had made an all ireland final.

The Ballygunner v Fourmilewater match has been called off I think. WLR reporting that the funeral was today. Is there a protocol on these things I wonder?

Heard that game is off alright. Will give FMW more time for Barron. T'is only right though given the circumstances I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Ballygunner v Fourmilewater game is now on 11th Oct but Tallow v Ballyduff still goes ahead Sunday at 2pm. For once they make the right decision under the circumstances.
    Its rumoured Ballinameela are refusing to play the relegation final against Tourin after O Keeffe pulling the stroke for his own club last yr. How true that is I don't really know but I would think that last year was the time to object when he got his way instead of leaving it until now.
    His term as secretary is up in Dec I wonder what will be his legacy when leaving office?!! Crowd control in the Fraher field maybe?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

From what I hear 3 teams have finished on level points in one of the groups. And as DLS gave a walkover to The Nire score differences cannot be taken into account. I have heard that that the Co. Board have asked the 3 teams to draw straws to see who finishes where in the group (which is a joke and an embarrassment) but it looks more likely that there will have to be a 3 way play off in that group, which will set the championship back weeks as FMW and Clashmore still hurling also.

Absolute shambles.

archieknox wrote: »
    Ballygunner v Fourmilewater game is now on 11th Oct but Tallow v Ballyduff still goes ahead Sunday at 2pm. For once they make the right decision under the circumstances.
    Its rumoured Ballinameela are refusing to play the relegation final against Tourin after O Keeffe pulling the stroke for his own club last yr. How true that is I don't really know but I would think that last year was the time to object when he got his way instead of leaving it until now.
    His term as secretary is up in Dec I wonder what will be his legacy when leaving office?!! Crowd control in the Fraher field maybe?!!

Are you throwing your hat in the ring Archie? Cushy old number forya. You could make sure any transfers go through nice and smoothly aswell... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

11 all star nominations. Big progress from zero last year. Reckon we will get 2 awards, outside chance of 3.

Well done to all nominated. Also to Tadgh De Burca for young hurler of the year nomination.

• Advertisement

11 Waterford players Nominated for an all star and Tadhg Bourke nominated for young hurler of the year.

SOK, Dillon, Bennett and Darragh fives miss out.

11 Waterford players Nominated for an all star and Tadhg Bourke nominated for young hurler of the year.

SOK, Dillon, Bennett and Darragh fives miss out.

Barry coughlan nominated for one. A few people on here gone fairly quiet about that

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

In fairness Ballinameela were one of the clubs who proposed no relegation this year because of the special treatment afforded to Clashmore. I can see yet another show of hands at a meeting in January to decide a clubs fate. Crazy stuff especially when the vote is 7-0 from the start with the top table all having a vote. Time to put Touraneena Geraldines and Colligan up and form 2 intermediate groups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

crazyman wrote: »
    From what I hear 3 teams have finished on level points in one of the groups. And as DLS gave a walkover to The Nire score differences cannot be taken into account. I have heard that that the Co. Board have asked the 3 teams to draw straws to see who finishes where in the group (which is a joke and an embarrassment) but it looks more likely that there will have to be a 3 way play off in that group, which will set the championship back weeks as FMW and Clashmore still hurling also.

Absolute shambles.

Why can't they just take the DLS score difference away from Clashmore and Ballinacourty? The county board are incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Barry coughlan nominated for one. A few people on here gone fairly quiet about that
    Dont agree. Tadhg De Burca was the de facto full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

How could they go quiet when its just been announced? Numbers 2 to 9 from when aussie was wing back got nominated. Thats a ringing endorsement of our defense as a unit from the selection committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Ropaire wrote: »
    How could they go quiet when its just been announced? Numbers 2 to 9 from when aussie was wing back got nominated. Thats a ringing endorsement of our defense as a unit from the selection committee.

And shows how the current system protects the backs and leaves forwards fighting up front out numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

I think it was a very poor year for full backs in general tbh.

I reckon Holden will get the all star but imo James Barry was the best full back in the country this year. Barry Coughlan is a bit lucky to get a nomination only for the lack of alternatives I think.

Tadgh De Burca is going to get an all star along with Maurice. After that maybe one of yer corner backs might get one but that is probably the toughest choice this year. Paul Murphy is a dead cert so its a toss up between Noel Conners, Shane Fives, Joey Coen & Cathal Barrett for that last spot in the full back line.

Are you throwing your hat in the ring Archie? Cushy old number forya. You could make sure any transfers go through nice and smoothly aswell... ;-)

Haha 😆 touche!! Id have to be a wine connoisseur for that gig it wouldn't be my scene! By the way I hear Cappoquin are gone poaching early now that their neighbours have been relegated. Look what I've started up here now!!

A meeting on Monday to discuss the future of football in the County. Hope some of them tear into the County board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Haha 😆 touche!! Id have to be a wine connoisseur for that gig it wouldn't be my scene! By the way I hear Cappoquin are gone poaching early now that their neighbours have been relegated. Look what I've started up here now!!
    Archie you are a mine of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Fair play to Barry for getting a nomination, he's a tough competitor and gave his all. He is lucky to be nominated though, I think the stats i saw were that he played the ball once in the quarter final against Dublin, and three times in the Kilkenny Game ( two of which were errors that resulted in Kilkenny scores) . Of course he didnt need to play the ball more as De Burca played as a second full back. We had some success with this system but we'll hardly beat the better teams as we are short up front as a result.

dcrosskid wrote: »
    I think it was a very poor year for full backs in general tbh.

I reckon Holden will get the all star but imo James Barry was the best full back in the country this year. Barry Coughlan is a bit lucky to get a nomination only for the lack of alternatives I think.

Tadgh De Burca is going to get an all star along with Maurice. After that maybe one of yer corner backs might get one but that is probably the toughest choice this year. Paul Murphy is a dead cert so its a toss up between Noel Conners, Shane Fives, Joey Coen & Cathal Barrett for that last spot in the full back line.

Spot on. Connors and Fives were consistent all year and both will come close to selection but id probably say Barrett will get the nod. Coughlan getting his nomination is a wonderful personal achievement but the lack of space for full forwards to operate in by the way we set up must have had a bearing on it. Like you say it wasn't a great year for stand out full backs and theoretically he did a fine job on Callanan in the Munster final but as I said it was our system that helped that statistic. Proof of that was Callanan's display in the all Ireland semi final when he ran riot given the space to operate in.
    De Burca and Maurice for me will be the definites with Tadgh having a real shout for young hurler of the year. Wouldn't it be some achievement for such an unassuming player.
    Also I attended the Modeligo v Ardmore game last night and it was as exciting as you could get. Big shout out for Pa Donovan from Modeligo he scored 5 wonderful points from play in a terrific display.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Spot on. Connors and Fives were consistent all year and both will come close to selection but id probably say Barrett will get the nod. Coughlan getting his nomination is a wonderful personal achievement but the lack of space for full forwards to operate in by the way we set up must have had a bearing on it. Like you say it wasn't a great year for stand out full backs and theoretically he did a fine job on Callanan in the Munster final but as I said it was our system that helped that statistic. Proof of that was Callanan's display in the all Ireland semi final when he ran riot given the space to operate in.
    De Burca and Maurice for me will be the definites with Tadgh having a real shout for young hurler of the year. Wouldn't it be some achievement for such an unassuming player.
    Also I attended the Modeligo v Ardmore game last night and it was as exciting as you could get. Big shout out for Pa Donovan from Modeligo he scored 5 wonderful points from play in a terrific display.

I fail to see why Barrett should get an All Star this year. Should have gotten one last year but not deserving this year. Didn't play against Limerick if I recall rightly, was good against Waterford in Munster final and skinned by Mannion against Galway.
    Am I missing something?

o donovan is a class act as good as any forward in the county on his day and has been with some years. A pity he never gave the required commitment to intercounty level because he has the talent.
    Ive been saying it all the year that modeligo are darkhorses for this competition. Unthinkable that a club of their size could be playing senior next year but a very real possibility. Whoever wins the west final will face a Portlaw side tin the co final that will have had a 4 or 5 week break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Pa O'Donavan is some hurler. I'd put him in the same category as Gavin Crotty, outstanding club hurler who never really gave it a shot with the county team. The 2 lads are as good as Jake Dillon, Brian O'Halloran, Colin Dunford etc. I'm not sure if they're interested or not, but if they are they should definitely be on the panel for the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

o donovan is a class act as good as any forward in the county on his day and has been with some years. A pity he never gave the required commitment to intercounty level because he has the talent.
    Ive been saying it all the year that modeligo are darkhorses for this competition. Unthinkable that a club of their size could be playing senior next year but a very real possibility. Whoever wins the west final will face a Portlaw side tin the co final that will have had a 4 or 5 week break
    He's only 25 max...still plenty of time for him

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He's only 25 max...still plenty of time for him

He was on the u21 panel a few years ago but dropped himself off it told management he wasnt interested in playing county. He was on the senior panel for a small while at the start of this year played a couple challenge games, dont know how it finished up bit heard he didnt have much interest

Devine and Donovan are some handful at this level. Fitzgerald at centre back is excellent and did a terrific job on Seamus Prendergast. Has the makings of a cracking western final if last night's entertainment is anything to go by. De Burca and Devine will be some tussle!

• Advertisement

No u21 all star awards heading our way this year! Not that surprising but what is surprising is the fact that we're considering the same management team again for next year. Paddy Joe needs to sort this one instead of being brainwashed about blueprints for Waterford hurling etc. We saw where that s**te got us against Clare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement