Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Respect to both teams in a highly entertaining and sporting minor final yesterday. A game where a draw really was the right result. Looking forward to replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ballygunner 3 point winners. Philip Mahony was immense, Peter Hogan nearly broke the net. Some super defending by both sides.

David O Sullivan got a straight red card after the game, didn't see what actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Ballygunner 3 point winners. Philip Mahony was immense, Peter Hogan nearly broke the net. Some super defending by both sides.

David O Sullivan got a straight red card after the game, didn't see what actually happened.

Was it Barry O'Sullivan not David?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Big chance for Tallow on Sunday Mick. Yer backs will definitely hold the gunners forwards so it could be tight. Best of luck id love to see it come up the west. 1985 against Ballyduff was the last time ye won it was it? Yer on a role and its hard to beat a team that's progressing nicely as the championship goes on. Can't see anyone holding Ryan the way he's hurling at the moment he's definitely the match winner for ye on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

No it was definitely David. Didn't seem to do anything from what I could see, must have said something to the ref he didn't seem to agree with a few decisions earlier in the game. Maybe I missed something though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Taught Conor Gleason of fourmile did well
    While ballygunner had that bit more hurling/skill level....fourmile gave away a stupid amount of frees needlessly aswell....gave away two particularly glaring in the first half inside their own 45...one for throwing the ball another for picking ball off the ground....

While they probily lacked a bit up front...if they didn't give away the stupid frees they could've easily caused an upset

Where is the county final on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

While ballygunner had that bit more hurling/skill level....fourmile gave away a stupid amount of frees needlessly aswell....gave away two particularly glaring in the first half inside their own 45...one for throwing the ball another for picking ball off the ground....

While they probily lacked a bit up front...if they didn't give away the stupid frees they could've easily caused an upset

Yea probily.

Walsh Park. Was Dungarvans year last year but as was Ballygunner and Mt Sion it was moved to Walsh Park. Intermediate final may precede the senior now I imagine as the minor replay can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

When is Tallow and Ballygunner on? Winners will play the Glen in Munster.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/brilliant-glen-rovers-are-the-toast-of-city-hurling-again/1052455/

Orizio wrote: »
    When is Tallow and Ballygunner on? Winners will play the Glen in Munster.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/brilliant-glen-rovers-are-the-toast-of-city-hurling-again/1052455/

Next Sunday in Walsh Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

archieknox wrote: »
    Next Sunday in Walsh Park.

The rugby will affect attendance I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

archieknox wrote: »
    Big chance for Tallow on Sunday Mick. Yer backs will definitely hold the gunners forwards so it could be tight. Best of luck id love to see it come up the west. 1985 against Ballyduff was the last time ye won it was it? Yer on a role and its hard to beat a team that's progressing nicely as the championship goes on. Can't see anyone holding Ryan the way he's hurling at the moment he's definitely the match winner for ye on Sunday.

Ya 1985 against Ballyduff was last time we won.
    It's a one off game now so anything could happen. We've definitely progressed as the year went on so will have no fear.

Our backs are playing very well and if we can get more return out of the rest of our forwards we'll be there or thereabouts.

Don't see Tallow winning if I'm honest about it, think They'll certainly be a lot better than 2011 but reckon though theyll put up a fight Ballygunner will come away with a 7 or 8 point win although maybe I'm not appreciating the significance of David O Sullivans loss.

Tommy Ryan is going well, but he's not going to do the damage he did v Ballyduff and he's not got enough support. FMWs backs were excellent yesterday I thought, particularly the full back line. That wasn't enough so a good backline isn't going to win it for them alone. Kevin Casey caused problems that I can see being much worse with Brian O Sullivan.

Ya 1985 against Ballyduff was last time we won.
    It's a one off game now so anything could happen. We've definitely progressed as the year went on so will have no fear.

Our backs are playing very well and if we can get more return out of the rest of our forwards we'll be there or thereabouts.

To be honest with you now Mick I'd be hoping Tallow take the field with a bit more fire in their bellies than that.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The rugby will affect attendance I think.

Rugby???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

To be honest with you now Mick I'd be hoping Tallow take the field with a bit more fire in their bellies than that.

To be fair if Tallow bring one thing that Ballygunner don’t, that’s passion.Hard to beat the fire that burns in the small rural club. Ballygunner are the superior outfit no doubt, very stylish hurlers with huge strength in depth that few clubs can compete with as their record shows in recent years. But like a lot of the bigger city sides they can have a very soft centre if its really put up to them. Passage exposed it in 2013, and Ballyduff back in 2007. Other than that there hasn’t been any other side that has really been good enough outside the city to put it up to them. Lismore had their chances but bottled in on a couple of occasions, and Tallow in 2011 the occasion passed them by on the day. But a huge shot at redemption for Tallow on Sunday, they’ll have learned a lot from the last time and its as good a chance as they’ll ever get to put that right.

robopaddy2 wrote: »

To be fair if Tallow bring one thing that Ballygunner don’t, that’s passion.Hard to beat the fire that burns in the small rural club. Ballygunner are the superior outfit no doubt, very stylish hurlers with huge strength in depth that few clubs can compete with as their record shows in recent years. But like a lot of the bigger city sides they can have a very soft centre if its really put up to them. Passage exposed it in 2013, and Ballyduff back in 2007. Other than that there hasn’t been any other side that has really been good enough outside the city to put it up to them. Lismore had their chances but bottled in on a couple of occasions, and Tallow in 2011 the occasion passed them by on the day. But a huge shot at redemption for Tallow on Sunday, they’ll have learned a lot from the last time and its as good a chance as they’ll ever get to put that right.

If anybody wants to question the passion and pride Ballygunner folk have in the jersey let them do so at their peril. Soft centre me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Sheesh. Once upon a time I might have wondered whether Ballygunner would be 'up for it' as much as Tallow. But that was before I spoke to the wife of a member of a prominent Ballygunner family after they had been beaten by Passage a couple of years ago. She isn't from Ballygunner and confessed that she wasn't too upset as her husband went on the lash for three days after each county win.

There'll be passion aplenty on both sides on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yeah I'd echo those who reaffirm Ballygunner's passion.

While they're a big city club, it's always operated like a rural parish out there. Unlike maybe DLS they've a lot of their lads going to school and living in one area.

Also, just because you've loads of players doesn't mean you're automatically going to be successful. Top players, and BG have many of them, have made huge sacrificies to make Waterford teams at various levels. To make those sacrificies you need to be passionate about what you're doing, as there is very little thanks for it.

I'm sure the same could be said for Tallow in making the most of what they have in terms of numbers. But at the end of the day, you don't get a team of players togging out in a county final who're not passionate individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Cant understand how anyone can question ballygunners passion. Ya don't get to county finals without it. Just because there a big club with loads of players why does that mean tallow will have more passion.

• Advertisement

Not the strongest team that Ballygunner have had in recent years and Paudie O Mahony and Wayne Hutchinson are big losses to them. Yes they've been without them for most of the year but I do think Tallow's 6 backs as a unit are stronger than what Fourmilewater offered last Sunday and for that reason they could struggle upfront. Granted Tallow are over depending on Thomas Ryan but I still give them a real chance of pulling it off on Sunday. They've been solid all year without being spectacular and seem to have developed a never say die attitude throughout the team and maybe they're not getting as much credit as they deserve.

Good luck to Tallow. When Tallow last won the title, Tramore also appeared in back-to-back football deciders. I like to think the fates of two clubs are entwined.

Then again, maybe not.

deiseach wrote: »
    Good luck to Tallow. When Tallow last won the title, Tramore also appeared in back-to-back football deciders. I like to think the fates of two clubs are entwined.

Was 1984 against Ballinameela in the senior football final? Can't remember 85!!

Lost to Kilrossanty.

They have been consistent but the Dungarvan game aside, theyv lacked a killer instinct. Ballygunner had a bit to spare in a game of no consequence, they only drew with a hapless DLS, and they lost to Fourmile without Conor Gleeson.

Credit for their spirit and they are obviously a good team, but I think Ballyduff if they had taken their points second half would have won instead of trying to force it. Ballyduff obviously improved a lot but they were absolutely leathered by Ballygunner. I think they are just better than everyone else.

4 county under 21s in a row youd kind of be expecting that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Mountainlad Ballygunner have not won 4 U21s in a row

Mountainlad Ballygunner have not won 4 U21s in a row

They had 3 in a row before last year. Can't recall much about last years u21 championship however.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

De La Salle won it in 2013 beating Mount Sion in East final and St.Carthages in Co.final

They have been consistent but the Dungarvan game aside, theyv lacked a killer instinct. Ballygunner had a bit to spare in a game of no consequence, they only drew with a hapless DLS, and they lost to Fourmile without Conor Gleeson.

Credit for their spirit and they are obviously a good team, but I think Ballyduff if they had taken their points second half would have won instead of trying to force it. Ballyduff obviously improved a lot but they were absolutely leathered by Ballygunner. I think they are just better than everyone else.

4 county under 21s in a row youd kind of be expecting that in fairness.

I'm not entirely sure Tallow were at full strength against Fourmilewaters, they were already qualified so tried a few players out. Point taken about Ballyduff but I think was more a case of Tallow backs getting to grips with Ballyduff forwards in the second half. The tonic start allowed them to filter back a little and they are very well set up to defend like this and afford space to Tommy Ryan. Ballygunner should have better distance shooters than Ballyduff which is probably the best way to counter it and try to draw them out. Bringing Mikey Kearney further out the field may have served Ballyduff better in this regard.

I think Tallow are in with a shout but expect Ballygunner to have too much. Ballygunner have plenty of room for improvement from the semi final, Fourmilewater will rue some mistakes when the game was there for the taking. It's a great position for Ballygunner to be in however and I expect them to up their performance another gear and claim the title.

• Advertisement

De La Salle won it in 2013 beating Mount Sion in East final and St.Carthages in Co.final

What year did Pauric Mahony score a goal with the last puck to beat St Carthages in the u21 final in Fraher Field? Played half of the game with an ankle injury limping around the field.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement