Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V PC

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I found putting grass effects up to max is a limiting factor on my gtx970

For me i found that MSAA in graphics was the most intensive. That one little setting used 25% of my cards memory when at max.

MSAA reflections uses another 20% for me.

Maybe turn those both off to free up some headroom for the other settings. I really don't notice any visual difference between MSAA on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Running on a gtx970 (gigabyte) 4gb card here.

Max settings i get good frames and according to the settings, am only using 3.6gb of 4gb available.

Well considering the 970 only has 3.5GB, with the other .5 going through much slower channels, I'd say that might be more a concern then a good thing.

You running at resolutions over 1080?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Playing @1440p on a 970 and vram is not an issue. The whole vram thing has been blown out of proportion in relation to the 970.

The real issue was nvidia not disclosing the way the card worked and not updating its spec until they were caught out by tech forum users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well considering the 970 only has 3.5GB, with the other .5 going through much slower channels, I'd say that might be more a concern then a good thing.

You running at resolutions over 1080?

No. If i had the money for a 4k screen i'd also have the money for a gtx980....

Card sold as 4gb, game reads it as 4gb, so thats how i read it. In any case, it's now sitting at 2.6ish out of 4 after turning off all things MSAA as i swear i can't see the difference. Frames went from 45fps to 60fps (with vsync) after that.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    No. If i had the money for a 4k screen i'd also have the money for a gtx980....

Card sold as 4gb, game reads it as 4gb, so thats how i read it. In any case, it's now sitting at 2.6ish out of 4 after turning off all things MSAA as i swear i can't see the difference. Frames went from 45fps to 60fps (with vsync) after that.

That's more what I was getting at, the card shouldn't be pushing that much VRAM at 1080 resolutions.

Seems there is good crossover between Witcher and GTA in terms of stuff that is sucking up resources, but providing no noticeable benefits.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Playing @1440p on a 970 and vram is not an issue. The whole vram thing has been blown out of proportion in relation to the 970.

The real issue was nvidia not disclosing the way the card worked and not updating its spec until they were caught out by tech forum users.

The real issue you describe is the issue I was referring to :)

The real issue you describe is the issue I was referring to :)

Cool,misunderstood your post in that case. The way Nvidia have been lately though has made me think ill definitely be going AMD next upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I was holding out to be honest waiting for the R300 series to drop and see pricing on the existing 290 go down and see if it was something I could get then. The 290 I have retails €360-380

So when I saw a guy on ADverts selling his practically brand new one for €230, absolutely jumped on it.

I typically don't buy new release games for PC and wait a year for the price to come down(usually busy with WoW, BF etc) but really kinda want this.
    And a OC tri-x at that. Nicely done. I've been stalking the 290s for a few months. Trying to hold out until mid june for 300 series but if the price is right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Glebee

Finally got a chance to get into this after getting Witcher 2 out of the way. Have it running nicely with I5-3750, 8GB RAM, GTX 670 with MXAA off and almost everything else maxed out. Anyway is running nice and smooth. Really wish I could get GTA IV to run this smooth. I guess im about 60% through story but have not touched any online yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Laviski

when online stick to missions racing deathmatch etc.

free mode is hackerful.

on the gaellords teamspeak we have a group of regulars that play and keep it civil.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    And a OC tri-x at that. Nicely done. I've been stalking the 290s for a few months. Trying to hold out until mid june for 300 series but if the price is right! :D

Yeah I saw the Trix part, assumably related to the three coolers. I'd read the 290's run hot, but this one doesn't seem to sweat at all.

And I actually didn't spot the OC part :O

Finished the single player up on this over the weekeknd and have almost all the other odds and end out of the way, struggling for things to do... (apart from online which im not that into) Seems a shame that this vast open gameworld is there and no missions anymore, i suppose thats where the online element comes into play. Was there ever an DLC release on console for this??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Glebee wrote: »
    Was there ever an DLC release on console for this??

Can you wait 24 hours? :)

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52448/the-gta-online-ill-gotten-gains-update-part-one-is-coming

Ponster wrote: »

Thats online though,think he was looking for story mode content.

Story DLC is supposed to be in the works,but the details seem a little fuzzy at the moment with 2K and rockstar getting wires crossed regarding if there even was any coming but R* admitted there looking into it. Nothing concrete like dates or any details yet but id expect to see it at some stage,how long away that is i have no idea.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-gta-5-s-story-dlc-still-coming/1100-6427430/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone else having problems with latest update. I downloaded it twice yesterday and failed at last second and have to re-download the whole thing again. I was thinking it might be a busy time so I tried again there a while ago and the same thing fails at the last second, what is going on, did this happen to anyone else?

Also I have bad internet but for some reason I cannot play GTA V online properly it keeps disconnecting so I stopped playing online as it ruins the whole experience for me. I just fancied a game of single player yesterday and there was a update. Also I can play other games fine on my internet. Like Teamfortress or even Battlefield 4. I do not know what is wrong with GTA V.

Yeah i had 3 CTD's the other night and thats the first time the game has crashed on me. So hoping its just a case of the latest patch being a bit unstable.

Dont play the online on PC really,just the single player so can help ye there. Dont think i could bring myself to grind out the lvls on the online again after the PS4 version which im currently lvl 73

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah i had 3 CTD's the other night and thats the first time the game has crashed on me. So hoping its just a case of the latest patch being a bit unstable.

Dont play the online on PC really,just the single player so can help ye there. Dont think i could bring myself to grind out the lvls on the online again after the PS4 version which im currently lvl 73

No I cannot even play the single player until that update goes through. It keeps failing. That second paragraph in my last post was just in the past with online for me, which is why I never play it.

No I cannot even play the single player until that update goes through. It keeps failing. That second paragraph in my last post was just in the past with online for me, which is why I never play it.

Oh sorry,i get ye now. Do you have antivirus software? Avast flagged the update as malware for me and stopped it installing till i created an exception,that could be your problem. Alternatively you could just turn off anti virus then download the patch and try it. Also run the launcher as admin

Regarding online,are you wired or wireless? Might be no harm seeing what ports GTA uses and opening them up for the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Need to get from 81 to 120 on Online. I avoided the double RP heists part of laziness, but also the way some play them on other occasions is too annoying. I'll make a playlist of missions to grind with the armoured Kuruma, and hopefully solo races will unlock the upgrades for me.

Been trying to redownload GTA 5 for an age now. The Rockstar downloader keeps either quitting or giving an error message. After about 3 weeks of trying i have 10GB out of 61GB downloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Anyone buy the 7 disk version and have trouble installing? The installer asks for disk 2 but doesnt pickup once you close the drawer. Copying all the disks to hd first is going to take an absolute age................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Agricola wrote: »
    Anyone buy the 7 disk version and have trouble installing? The installer asks for disk 2 but doesnt pickup once you close the drawer. Copying all the disks to hd first is going to take an absolute age................

7 disk version!!!! Christ on a bike, that reminds me of the 90s and using a dozen floppy disks on a game or win95.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

7 disk version!!!! Christ on a bike, that reminds me of the 90s and using a dozen floppy disks on a game or win95.

I know, it's nuts. Downloading it on Steam would take a long long time on my bogband connection though.

Have also had a problem installing Shadow of Mordor now so I'm thinking it might be a BIOS/DVD drive problem as this is a new build. Might stick a thread in tech forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

sorry to resurrect an old thread,
    but anyone playing this online lately?
    i've started playing it again over the last week and loving the heists again,

if anyone is about on it let me know,
    would like to get a reliable 4 man heist team going to have a laugh with.

Got my first ever crash of this game last night. I was in a graveyard and was reading the head stones with a handgun and torch accessory and it just crashed.

Spooky

Advertisement