Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V PC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

"Francis" is a character, the guy playing the part is a very reasonable and rational guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Has angry joe put on some weight?

Anyone else find the game far too easy in single player, the heists are simple and the ai isn't the greatest. Must admit I preferred the days when the cops would be all over you if you knocked someone down or if you'd draw your weapon, not it seems to be either 2 stars or a 5 star and there's not too much difference in difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Just bought this for PC day before and it's awfully laggy so I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card. Would GTX 770 be sufficient? I'm upgrading from EVGA 660

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Are you using in game v sync?

I found it created stutter,used nvidia control panel and turned on adaptive v sync and used that instead and it cleared right up

EoinHef wrote: »
    Are you using in game v sync?

I found it created stutter,used nvidia control panel and turned on adaptive v sync and used that instead and it cleared right up

I turned that off. All graphic settings are set to normal and even then, it's lagging alot. Will try the v sync in nvidia control panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well I had my first single player game crash. Could be a number of things. I have a higher CPU overclock since the last time I played, I also have a new GPU which I slightly overclocked and it could also be the RAM as it is slightly overclocked as well.

So I don't know what caused the crash, either the game or my overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I figured out my stutter problem by changing my refresh rate in the options from 60 to 50hz and back again.

Someone mention it on a an obscure thread on reddit and was genuinely surprised it worked, I have to do it everytime I start the game up but zero stutter now and smooth as butter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Would GTX 770 be sufficient? I'm upgrading from EVGA 660

More than enough. Stuttering is unlikely due to your gfx card as people are getting the game to run on laptops with integrated cards. The quality is bad but it's still playable.

what card do you have ?

Ponster wrote: »
    More than enough. Stuttering is unlikely due to your gfx card as people are getting the game to run on laptops with integrated cards. The quality is bad but it's still playable.

what card do you have ?

As in graphics card? EVGA GTX 660 OC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have a GTX 680 (2gb) running on an I5 3570k (stock) and I get between 50 and 60fps with no stuttering.

There are folks out there with GTX 980 SLI setups who have stuttering so it's more an issue of not finding the right settings than needing a new card.

• Advertisement

I have i5 4670k oc'd to 4.2Ghz. Also have 8gb of RAM. Unsure of their speed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I have i5 4670k oc'd to 4.2Ghz. Also have 8gb of RAM. Unsure of their speed though.

Did adaptive vsync not help at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Jamo, unlikely to be your problem, but I was having issues when I first bought it until I realised I had my machine set to powersaver mode, might be worth a quick look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

To those who are posting about connection issues to the Online part:

I used to live in an area with 8mb broadband (6.4 effective).
    I have since moved to an area with 24mb broadband (17 effective).

My connection issues have 90% dissapeared. Seems to very much be a case of your broadband speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Games need very little download speed but it does depend on how stable the connection is and how much the connection is contended especially during peak hours.

A stable uncontended 2Mb connection is going to be better than a 16Mb connection on poor quality phone line that also gets choked during peak hours. Contention doesn't have to be local either as your connection to the game server could be getting choked in transit through London for example.

The upload speed is often more important on bad connections as it will often drop to zero when choked so you'll quickly see problems when gaming. Speedtest.net is a good way to check the overall connection including download, upload, latency and jitter but sometimes you need to ping or run traceroute to the IP address of the game server to get the full picture including transits through other countries.

Cheers for that.

Yes, i should have noted that my line does seem to be more stable in the new area. Far less jitter, etc according to pingtest.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got myself a new R9 290 GPU, first time really owning a high end GPU and want to run something new and fancy through it

The urge to buy this is real

I recently got a R9 290 as well and when I was doing the hunting mission in the woods hunting elk in GTA V the foliage was amazing. I have nearly everything maxed out. Couldn't do that with my old GTX 580.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing it on a 290 as well, and it looks and runs fantastic.

Feck ye anyway, here was me thinking "no, I'll definitely go for the nVidia this time" and all this 290 talk has me looking at prices...

Bastards.... :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Look but don't touch! At least wait for E3

Yea, it's that awkward "new stuff's due shortly" time of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    Feck ye anyway, here was me thinking "no, I'll definitely go for the nVidia this time" and all this 290 talk has me looking at prices...

Bastards.... :P :D

I was holding out to be honest waiting for the R300 series to drop and see pricing on the existing 290 go down and see if it was something I could get then. The 290 I have retails €360-380

So when I saw a guy on ADverts selling his practically brand new one for €230, absolutely jumped on it.

I typically don't buy new release games for PC and wait a year for the price to come down(usually busy with WoW, BF etc) but really kinda want this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Another 290 here but on 1440p. Had lag/stutter issues at the start but gone since the gta update. Runs smooth as babies @rse now.

Out of interest, have any of ye overclocked your r9 290? If so what are you getting and what temps?

Running on a gtx970 (gigabyte) 4gb card here.

Max settings i get good frames and according to the settings, am only using 3.6gb of 4gb available.

I found putting grass effects up to max is a limiting factor on my gtx970

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Out of interest, have any of ye overclocked your r9 290? If so what are you getting and what temps?

I've not overclocked mine, but i noticed last night that after a few hours of Witcher 3, it hit a max of 94 celcius :eek:

Need to invest in some better cooling it seems. Doesn't run that hit in GTA5 though.

I've a reference 290. And I have it clocked to the same as The Doc's card (His is the Saphire R9 290 tri-x)

I have it clocked at 1000MHz core clock, stock voltage, 1300MHz Memory clock and I have the fan turned up a bit and it reaches 63 degrees on most games some below.

R9 290 and R9 290x

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I've not overclocked mine, but i noticed last night that after a few hours of Witcher 3, it hit a max of 94 celcius :eek:

Need to invest in some better cooling it seems. Doesn't run that hit in GTA5 though.

Don't have witcher 3 to try but I have mine overclocked a bit.

5hw.png

I'd say I could get it higher but haven't really found the need, yet.
    Temps are about 44c idle and 73 - 79 at full load in gta 5.
    I thought i had a hot card, seems these 290's are just hot. I had a 2gb 7870 before this and hottest it got was 60c at full whack.

Edit: My card: http://www.asus.com/ie/Graphics_Cards/R9290DC2OC4GD5/

Advertisement