Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo's next console)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

The dock can make toast if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

New NVC talks about switch patent having a head mounted display.

New NVC talks about switch patent having a head mounted display.

I thought the phrase Jose said that they taik around the office was quite apt about "The Nintendo Tax" when referring to Super Mario Run. And in general.

Nintendo Switch Latest News & Update: Bethesda Doubts Nintendo Switch Can Handle AAA Games Like 'Prey'

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/93583/20161217/nintendo-switch-latest-news-update-bethesda-doubts-nintendo-switch-can-handle-aaa-games-like-prey.htm

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Will virtual console games I purchased on my Wii U (Mario world, Street fighter 2 etc) carry over with my profile to the Switch or would I have to buy them again?

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Just so you know this is from someone elses interview from before September. The same interview which the interviewer asked that if the NX was on par with x1 if Bethesda would make a game for it, to which he replied yes.

That was also misreported as switch = x1 of course.

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Will virtual console games I purchased on my Wii U (Mario world, Street fighter 2 etc) carry over with my profile to the Switch or would I have to buy them again?

They haven't said yet but I would guess they'll transfer over.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Just so you know this is from someone elses interview from before September. The same interview which the interviewer asked that if the NX was on par with x1 if Bethesda would make a game for it, to which he replied yes.

That was also misreported as switch = x1 of course.

I think it comes from this interview:

https://www.finder.com.au/prey-on-nintendo-switch

which is a few days old but then as so little information is given other sites are referring back to an older interview to try and glean some further insight. Like this Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPPv1ipNW8

When you hear stuff like this:
    "The Switch's reported use of the custom Maxwell Tegra means the console will have more than 1 teraflop of performance, VentureBeat reports. This would be well below Project Scorpio (6 teraflops), the PS4 Pro (4.2 teraflops), the standard PS4 (1.8 teraflops), and the standard Xbox One (1.3 teraflops)."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-specs-report-1-teraflop-of-perform/1100-6446282/

You've got to figure we won't be getting all the 3rd party games and that will put off some people right away. We'll see. I'm desperate for some information.

Edit 2:

Nintendo Switch May Not Be Powerful Enough To Run Arkane’s Prey; CPU Clock Frequency May Be Limited In Portable Mode

"There’s plenty of power-demanding elements to Prey, like the open-world environment, the recycle grenade and the incredible lighting. Is the Switch powerful enough to even run Prey?

Bare: I have no idea. There are discussions around it, but there is no conclusion yet."

http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-may-not-powerful-enough-run-prey/

You know it doesn't say that it can't but all the headlines I've seen have been sensationalist and stretching to a conclusion that isn't there. Media, sensationalise something? Never!

I think it comes from this interview:

https://www.finder.com.au/prey-on-nintendo-switch

which is a few days old but then as so little information is given other sites are referring back to an older interview to try and glean some further insight. Like this Youtube video:
    Which links to this
    https://www.finder.com.au/bethesda-nintendo-nx
    Which is from august.

Also the switch 1tflop article will be making the rounds too, which was written by someone with such little technical knowledge that they got everything wrong in their article.

Scaremongering and sensationalist titles are nothing new though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

In just over 3 weeks, we'll know pretty much everything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I don't like the attitude of the big video game developers nowadays. A lot of games had different versions of the same game on the different systems. It seems development costs are too high now that they only want to do minor things like changing game controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Current rumors suggest that the Switch uses Tegra architecture rather than Pascal. This is unfortunate and means the system will never push beyond 720p. Vita proved there is no market for portable AAA gaming experience. People either want AAA 60fps experiences at home, hooked to 4k TV and 7.1 surround or a quick fix on your tablet/phone as Super Mario run proves this week with over 2 million downloads. There is simply no market demand for this product other than the Nintendo die hards which wont make up a core market as the Wii U proved. Switch should have been released instead of the Wii U with real third party support. It may have had a chance then as that concept was novel. Now we have similar experiences on other platforms. I don't see why third parties will support his and not the Wii U as they pledged when that was released too. Switch should really have been a high powered home console (PS4 Pro comparable) with Nintendo IP displayed as never before. Thats your success right there.

Just to reconfirm that Dragon Quest XI is coming to Switch though the platform wasn't mentioned in the trailer the other day.
    Dragon Quest XI again confirmed for Switch

http://nintendoeverything.com/dragon-quest-xi-again-confirmed-for-switch/

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/839af1b5-c284-11e6-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

gflood wrote: »
    Now we have similar experiences on other platforms.

Really? Which platform are you talking about?

The last thing Nintendo should do is compete with sony and microsoft with high powered consoles. How do you know there's no market? How do you know the switch is all AAA expensive to make games? Which similar experiences are these, except the rubbish one done by the vita, which is way off mark what Nintendo are trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This whole Tegra V Pascal architecture debate: It's like the new "DDR2 V DDR3" debate and back and back and back to the SNES/Megadrive days.

Get over it: It's NOT going to be as powerful as the XB1 or PS4. One of its CORE functionalities is its portability. You are NOT going to be able to get that functionality on a portable device. Look at the PSU that came with the original XB1 for God's sake. Listen to the XB1/PS4 cooling fans. Look at the physical size of the things.

The big concerns are the install base and how easy it is going to be to port/develop games. If the install base is big enough and it is easy enough to develop for/port to - not too much of a departure from the PS4/XB1 architecture then publishers will develop for it. This is a business. Publishers are not going to not develop games for it just because it potentially won't look as pretty as the current gen systems. If they can make money on it without expending too much money then they will.

As someone said though: The Vita was a powerful machine (Still is. Uncharted for it still looks amazing) but the install base wasn't that large. Not enough machines out there for publishers to spend a lot of money developing high-end games for it if they are only gonna sell a couple of thousand copies.

They really need to get a LOT of machines out there, and FAST. I think this is going to be their biggest issue. They need to advertise the cr*p out of it, see it at the right price and have a good launch line up. You know. Exactly opposite the Wii-U

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Vita uptake wasn't great partially or mostly because of Sony's stupid move to use their proprietary memory cards and charge a small fortune for them

gflood wrote: »
    Current rumors suggest that the Switch uses Tegra architecture rather than Pascal. This is unfortunate and means the system will never push beyond 720p. Vita proved there is no market for portable AAA gaming experience. People either want AAA 60fps experiences at home, hooked to 4k TV and 7.1 surround or a quick fix on your tablet/phone as Super Mario run proves this week with over 2 million downloads. There is simply no market demand for this product other than the Nintendo die hards which wont make up a core market as the Wii U proved. Switch should have been released instead of the Wii U with real third party support. It may have had a chance then as that concept was novel. Now we have similar experiences on other platforms. I don't see why third parties will support his and not the Wii U as they pledged when that was released too. Switch should really have been a high powered home console (PS4 Pro comparable) with Nintendo IP displayed as never before. Thats your success right there.

The 3ds wasnt anything mentioned above and sold over 60 million units, the vita was more powerful then it and failed because sony did feck all games wise for it.

Jimmy Fallon show was a good start. But there's probably not much to advertise till after the big reveal? So I'm fully expecting a sustained marketing blitz after that. Keep people talking about it, advertise it everywhere.

Jimmy Kimmel show was a good start. But there's probably not much to advertise till after the big reveal? So I'm fully expecting a sustained marketing blitz after that. Keep people talking about it, advertise it everywhere.

Jimmy Fallon. Good Irish name. :D I've never seen Nintendo spend proper money on advertising(don't expect to see that change either) especially compared to the competition. I'm surprised Sony make any money. I am bombarded by them everywhere morning, noon and night.

• Advertisement

I really hope they do market blitz the heck outta the switch, they did nothing for Wii U at all really, the only adverts i remember on the tv were for MarioKart 8

Jimmy Fallon. Good Irish name. :D I've never seen Nintendo spend proper money on advertising. I'm surprised Sony make any money. I am bombarded by them everywhere morning, noon and night.

Nobody saw nothing *shifty eyes*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If processor, graphics, and HD quality was the determination of game quality then the user base of the C64 vs Spectrum vs Amstrad back in the day would have been one sided.

After all look at the current demand for the NES Classic.

Ultimately only hardcore people care about specs. It's all about games. Availability and quality. Bethesda are throwing their toys out of the pram.

I'm PlayStation mad having ditched the XBox years ago. Yet I've never bought a Vita or PSP. I've had 2 DS though. It was a no brainer for me. Even my mother has a DS (and she still uses it)

I have a feeling Nintendo are on to a winner if they have a catalogue of good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

New Digital Foundry about the clock speeds, looks fairly worrying if they aren't going with the new architecture in terms of performance, I've dialled down my excitement a bit with Richard's outlook...

I'm sure there is Nintendo secret sauce in there but it doesn't look to be as powerful as I had initially hoped...

We will have to wait and see at the event in January...

Underwhelming to say the least but not that surprising either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If they can run Breath of the Wild at a solid 30 undocked I don't think there'll be too many technical limitations as far as first party games. Bayonetta would probably be the hardest run besides it.

Clocks are pretty good compared to the shield considering it'll be running from a battery, I'm still hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First full trailer for Seasons of Heaven.

Looks beautiful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I hoping a trailer for a new Metroid will debut on January 13th, just over three weeks away now, can't wait!
    And then only 9 weeks or so until the Switch launches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If they can run Breath of the Wild at a solid 30 undocked I don't think there'll be too many technical limitations as far as first party games. Bayonetta would probably be the hardest run besides it.

Clocks are pretty good compared to the shield considering it'll be running from a battery, I'm still hype.

Ultimately this will be a console shooting for 720p, so a focus on PS4 level component power is unnecessary.
    It will also make the system run cooler and for longer.

It'll be interesting for me to see where the third parties go with it, as there is no concern that 1st party titles aren't going to up to the mark.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    First full trailer for Seasons of Heaven.

Looks beautiful.

Press F to show respect to all the lost frames.

The animations are awkward. The boy loves holding onto the bag straps.

It's early but the cynicist in me but I think this French guy is using the switch to sell his book and eventually his game if that ever comes out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement