Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo's next console)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well the time to January went fast didn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Pac1Man wrote: »

However, if you haven't played a Nintendo IP in a long while, you really are missing out!

What's a nintendo IP?
    Coz this is all I got on google

http://imgur.com/a/pn37R

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

"fanboy" seems to be creeping back into acceptable language hereabouts... it really isn't okay you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Breener122

What's a nintendo IP?
    Coz this is all I got on google

http://imgur.com/a/pn37R

Intellectual Property.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    "fanboy" seems to be creeping back into acceptable language hereabouts... it really isn't okay you know....

Cider 'Only Virtualboy Fanboy in the world' man?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear ya. I know they are different games, but it all somehow looks the same.

But, they aren't the same, and a single play of one of them would confirm it. Probably best not to develop an opinion based on other peoples opinions.
    But I suppose it's no coincidence that the last time Mario or Foxes flying spaceships appealed to me was when I was ten.

If you want to relive your youth with a modern game, I can see the appeal.
    What, so you owned Nintendo as a child so it must, therefore, be a child's console?
    And it's childishness is entirely based on the use of Nintendo IP in the games rather than the content of the games themselves?
    Presumably your contact with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime or Mario Kart 8 is minimal, or you wouldn't have this opinion at all.
    Owning a Nintendo machine isn't "reliving your youth", perhaps owning a NES or a Famicom, or even a Megadrive or Pong console is, in which case I am guilty as charged, I have them all.
    But I didn't invest in any Nintendo console, handheld or otherwise, to play nostalgic games of yesteryear, I bought them to enjoy great experiences, like Mario Galaxy, Pikmin, Splatoon, Viewtiful Joe, the refreshed Resident Evil, Wonderful 101, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario World, the list is endless.
    I just moved on after PlayStation came out and never looked back.
    Who didn't own a PS or it's later consoles?
    Very few people here own Nintendo consoles exclusively, to do so would be as short sighted as not ever owning a Nintendo console.
    You bought into the Sony console family and stayed there, and that's unfortunate for you, but there you go.
    I hope the Switch shows an opening to other styles. I'll be watching and waiting.

Well, fingers crossed it offers something you want.
    Be aware that the bulk of 3rd party offerings are also going to be on the PS4 and XB1, so if you are after Skyrim at 4k you aren't going to get it on the Switch , you will be able to play it at 720p on the bus though, and you are going to be able to play Mario Kart online and on the go, as well as the main franchise Pokemon titles, Legend of Zelda and plenty of other titles, soon to be revealed in less than 2 weeks.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at those, sitting cross-armed, waiting to be impressed, I think those people are simply waiting to see how disappointed they can be at any given announcement, which is odd, given the p1ss poor showings on both the PS4 and XB1 for the first years of those consoles lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think we all know what it means.

The way I'm thinking the games will go

Launch - Splatoon Switch (as in, switch will be the subtitle)
    - 3D Mario or, Mario Kart Switch
    - Something third party like skyrim

Summer - Mario

Winter - Zelda/Pokemon

Course I'm saying it like that, forgetting that since the handheld/console games will be unified, we shouldn't have the software droughts we're occasionally used to from Ninty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do you think the presentation in less than 2 weeks will have launch games that aren't ports? Or are they going to use the "launch window" term? And will they do what everyone seems to be doing and just announce loads of games which are way off?

• Advertisement

Mario? And I suppose it depends if we count splatoon/Mario kart as ports. Certainly there will be the Wii sports equivalent for the switch launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Do you think the presentation in less than 2 weeks will have launch games that aren't ports? Or are they going to use the "launch window" term? And will they do what everyone seems to be doing and just announce loads of games which are way off?

Launch line up will probably by a mixture

• Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

SAKURAI SHARES A RECENT MECH TOY PURCHASE HE MADE, TEASES THAT IT'S RELATED TO HIS WORK
    vifam-656x391.jpg

The following information comes from a Denfaminicogamer interview with Masahiro Sakurai...

- Sakurai sometimes purchases figures for his work
    - he recently bought a Vifam figurine
    - Vifam is from the 1983 mech anime Ginga Hyōryū Vifam
    - Sakurai wanted the attached rifle gun to use as a reference for his work

http://gonintendo.com/stories/271189-sakurai-shares-a-recent-mech-toy-purchase-he-made-teases-that-it

Cider 'Only Virtualboy Fanboy in the world' man?

Maybe, just a little bit.
    But I also love my NEC Turbo Express and my region free PS2 TEST console, I have no need to be one format fixated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

But, they aren't the same, and a single play of one of them would confirm it. Probably best not to develop an opinion based on other peoples opinions.

What, so you owned Nintendo as a child so it must, therefore, be a child's console?
    And it's childishness is entirely based on the use of Nintendo IP in the games rather than the content of the games themselves?
    Presumably your contact with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Prime or Mario Kart 8 is minimal, or you wouldn't have this opinion at all.
    Owning a Nintendo machine isn't "reliving your youth", perhaps owning a NES or a Famicom, or even a Megadrive or Pong console is, in which case I am guilty as charged, I have them all.
    But I didn't invest in any Nintendo console, handheld or otherwise, to play nostalgic games of yesteryear, I bought them to enjoy great experiences, like Mario Galaxy, Pikmin, Splatoon, Viewtiful Joe, the refreshed Resident Evil, Wonderful 101, Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario World, the list is endless.

Who didn't own a PS or it's later consoles?
    Very few people here own Nintendo consoles exclusively, to do so would be as short sighted as not ever owning a Nintendo console.
    You bought into the Sony console family and stayed there, and that's unfortunate for you, but there you go.

Well, fingers crossed it offers something you want.
    Be aware that the bulk of 3rd party offerings are also going to be on the PS4 and XB1, so if you are after Skyrim at 4k you aren't going to get it on the Switch , you will be able to play it at 720p on the bus though, and you are going to be able to play Mario Kart online and on the go, as well as the main franchise Pokemon titles, Legend of Zelda and plenty of other titles, soon to be revealed in less than 2 weeks.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at those, sitting cross-armed, waiting to be impressed, I think those people are simply waiting to see how disappointed they can be at any given announcement, which is odd, given the p1ss poor showings on both the PS4 and XB1 for the first years of those consoles lives.

It's just a console. I'm entitled to dislike games that look like they're designed for seven year olds.

Plus, I finished Skyrim years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You're entitled to your opinion. It's misinformed, and mistaken, but you're entitled to it. It's the same kind of nonsense opinion that states that "mature" games are the likes of GTA (Which is, and always has been at it's best when it's ridiculiously immature). Akin to those that think adults can only play games if they're the ones with the highest graphical fidelity, or where you just riddle things with bullets. All hogwash.

I've a PC to play any such games, but those that I return to the most often are the ones with the most polished experiences, those that are fun to play, that are exemplary instances of their genres. Yes I play games like those described above (GTA: Vice City was the peak of the series). I've a large enough Steam library, with many, many hours put into the Arkham series of games, Assassin's Creed, Alan Wake, but one of my most played games is a retro style, highly immature game, Binding of Isaac. The beautifully crafted Indie games often capture my attention more than the AA games. I've thus far put more hours into Owlboy than into Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain. I've owned consoles from various companies, but the games with the best playability have almost invariably been on the Nintendo consoles. To dismiss them purely on aesthetic that you deem to be for kids is a vast oversight, and absolutely ridiculous.

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's just a console. I'm entitled to dislike games that look like they're designed for seven year olds.

Plus, I finished Skyrim years ago.

Delighted on the Skyrim thing, it is a smashing game.

And, yes, it's just a console.
    Yes, you can dislike anything you want, of course.
    But no, they certainly aren't designed for seven year olds, playing them will tell you that.

Anyone can form an opinion and is entitled to it.
    Doesn't mean that such an opinion is going to seen as valid.

So, away from ill informed sniping. Switch event!

I hope zelda doesn't make the launch, in some ways. Since thats technically a Wii U game, I'd rather we got something brand new we haven't seen before.

Yeah, I need to see some new bits and bobs, we've seen lots of LoZ stuff already.
    I'd possibly kill every one of you for a Splatoon combat racing game, maybe with the multi-vehicular stylings of Diddy Kong Racing.
    That, with a robust online mode, could be the business, especially with a proper set of battle arenas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I'd possibly kill every one of you for a Splatoon combat racing game, maybe with the multi-vehicular stylings of Diddy Kong Racing..

...then who would you play against? ;_;

That said, I do need to get into the online side of things with console gaming. Largely ignored the Wii friend code business and beyond whupping some folks on Mario Kart Wii a few years ago, all online play has been concentrated on the PC. Will have to connect up with you folks when the Switch comes out.

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote: »
    ...then who would you play against? ;_;

That said, I do need to get into the online side of things with console gaming. Largely ignored the Wii friend code business and beyond whupping some folks on Mario Kart Wii a few years ago, all online play has been concentrated on the PC. Will have to connect up with you folks when the Switch comes out.

We'd all show up for Nintendo beers when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I need to see some new bits and bobs, we've seen lots of LoZ stuff already.
    I'd possibly kill every one of you for a Splatoon combat racing game, maybe with the multi-vehicular stylings of Diddy Kong Racing.
    That, with a robust online mode, could be the business, especially with a proper set of battle arenas.

Maybe a Splatoon/Wave Racer hybrid... A combat water racer, with awesome wave physics and controls, and the ability to battle too!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Maybe a Splatoon/Wave Racer hybrid... A combat water racer, with awesome wave physics and controls, and the ability to battle too!

I don't swing that way but I think I might love you now....

If they skip metroid again this generation, I will be a very sad Miles Morales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

some interesting links from Nintndo Life here featuring potential box art and info on upcoming Switch games. Mario Kart 8 Switch is particularly interesting - All New Battle Mode!!!

EB Games Website

Mario Kart Box Art Details

EDIT- beaten to it by MilesMorales!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well happy new year Mario battlers! About damn time. Looks like I may go preorder this ****e now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Crumbs! Oh well, just a few days left til the official reveal, hopefully we'll see a nice launch line up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well, time to cancel the preorder and forget the console.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement