Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo's next console)

Options
  • 17-03-2015 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-next-console-is-code-named-the-nintendo-nx-1691867268

"As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business", Iwata adds, "let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand new concept under the development codename 'NX'."

And...that's it. Iwata says Nintendo will share more information about the new hardware "next year".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hopefully it's not something Android based that they can tie into their new mobile games venture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hopefully it's not something Android based that they can tie into their new mobile games venture.

Cat mod trolling!?
    Say it ain't so!

I'd say as long as it doesn't have the word "Wii" in the name it'll make people happy.
    And if its released within 2 years of now it'll have time to compete with the current gen, especially if it knocks it out of the park in terms of specs.
    Needless to say I'll buy it regardless.
    Is this the QoL concept I wonder?
    Will it integrate the handheld into it as well, timing might be right for both the 3DS and WiiU to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

My bets are on a VirtuaBoy 2. Makes sense with all the different head goggles Valve, Facebook, Samsung et all are bringing to market.

...called it here first peeps! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Cat mod trolling!?
    Say it ain't so!

:o
    I'd say as long as it doesn't have the word "Wii" in the name it'll make people happy.

Yeah I'd agree there. From the wording of the article, it sounds like it'll be something different anyway, & I think Ninty have realised the blunder they've made naming the successor to the Wii the Wii U.
    And if its released within 2 years of now it'll have time to compete with the current gen, especially if it knocks it out of the park in terms of specs.

Not sure they'll go the whole hog regards specs, Ninty seemed to have distanced themselves from competing directly with their rivals, & have instead carved their own corner of the industry. It has worked well for them, and I'm not sure I see them changing course & tackling MS & Sony head on. We'll see though, hopefully I'm wrong. I'd love a powerhouse Ninty console again. But with 3rd party support the way it is with Nintendo, I just don't see the need for them to build a really powerful console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Suggests a somewhat early announcement? Although maybe last gen was just too bloody long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Last gen was 6 years long and the wii u is about 3 years into its life, hopefully they give the wii u at least another 2 years before the new console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Last gen was 6 years long and the wii u is about 3 years into its life, hopefully they give the wii u at least another 2 years before the new console.

With the best will in the world I can't see the WiiU making it to 5 years of age.
    Nintendo might do an Xbox and just replace it in a short space of time, getting a console out with PS4 or better capabilities.
    The PS4 is here in for the long haul so even a few years in Nintendo would have an opportunity to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

And so it begins...

16843708312_1babecd525.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'd say it'd be a dockable wii u gamepad about the size of a new 3ds, both portable and home console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have a strong felling that we might even see the new console at E3 as why else would they tell us so early that there is a new console ?.

We could end up having the NX some time next year as well as we really have no idea how long nintendo have had this console in dev for.

I have a felling its going to be about the same power as a PS4/Xbox one and its going to be based on the same cell tech so they can get the 3rd party games easily ported over to the console. Or they could go all out and make it twice as powerful as the PS4/Xbox one and support 4K games at launch.

Going to be a good few months watching nintendo and what they might do with there next console i will be happy if they just give us proper accounts on the consoles, party chat and Trophies / Gamer Score i be happy with just the last part of that to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2017 as a release date I saw mentioned elsewhere.

This will end up the Nintendo forums HL3 thread.
    People checking in over the months just to find out the most recent post was some click bait sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I have a strong felling that we might even see the new console at E3 as why else would they tell us so early that there is a new console ?.

We could end up having the NX some time next year as well as we really have no idea how long nintendo have had this console in dev for.

I'd be surprised if we got the console earlier than 2017, maybe later. They only announced development (which has probably been underway in one way or another since the Wii U was released) in order to stomp out any suggestion of moving away from console gaming toward mobile in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yea, not to be pedantic but they weren't telling us, they were telling investors. There's a very important difference there, especially when you're dealing with a company in Nintendo's financial position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I've always thought their next one would be a mobile phone, kinda like the ngage.

Although better because that ngage...

gubbie wrote: »
    I've always thought their next one would be a mobile phone, kinda like the ngage.

Although better because that ngage...

Dear gods you take that back.
    I have an ngage, it's an awful awful machine!
    I'd say it'll be a PS4.5 in WiiU's clothing, but substituting the tablet controller for an evolved 3DS with HD screens.
    Or something

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I don't care what it is as long as we get some fzero.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I don't care what it is as long as we get some fzero.

I'm with you brother.

Sure we haven't had a portable metroid since 2004*

*prime hunters doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I don't know if this news makes me happy or sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

iamtony wrote: »
    I don't know if this news makes me happy or sad.

Why? Cos we're talking about post WiiU already?

I get that. But I'm getting this too, whatever the hell it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

How many publications are going to call this the NeXt until the full details and name are announced?

The thoughts of new Nintendo tech just makes me happy.
    And it also means that the new format will get its own iterations of the big N's IP!
    So that's new Zelda, Mario World, Pikmin and, while I'm dreaming, Bayonetta 3!

Fresh nintendo games and fresh nintendo consoles is always a good thing.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Fresh nintendo games and fresh nintendo consoles is always a good thing.

They should announce Splatoon 2, before Splatoon is released, just because they are Nintendo and can do wtf they want!

No no, they're gomna announce the metroid prime Collection, with metroid prime 1,2,3 and 4 silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm hoping for a massive crossover game that emphasises the ultra-flexible nature of their combined console / portable handheld platform - Bayonetta 3 where in a shock twist the last Lumen Sage strips her of her hair - and therefore both her powers and her clothes - and swaps her nipples for Mario and Luigi's heads. It'd be like Bowser's Inside Story but even more violent and explicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why? Cos we're talking about post WiiU already?

I get that. But I'm getting this too, whatever the hell it is.

Yeah the wii u still feels almost new in my sitting room for some reason even though I have it since release.
    I personally don't think they will succeed with a new console although if love to be proven wrong.

Banjo wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a massive crossover game that emphasises the ultra-flexible nature of their combined console / portable handheld platform - Bayonetta 3 where in a shock twist the last Lumen Sage strips her of her hair - and therefore both her powers and her clothes - and swaps her nipples for Mario and Luigi's heads. It'd be like Bowser's Inside Story but even more violent and explicit.

Stay where you are Banjo.
    Some colleagues of mine will be with you shortly to help you settle, in a lovely room with rubber wallpaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Now I don't know whether to get this or a PS 4 in four months. I really want to play Street Fighter V and Mortal Kombat X so I am worried Nintendo won't have third party support again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement