Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo's next console)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's up with Nintendo and their relationship with Rockstar?
    The last things Rockstar did for the company were Bully and Table Tennis on the Wii.
    I wasn't aware there was drama

GTA Chinatown wars?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What's up with Nintendo and their relationship with Rockstar?
    The last things Rockstar did for the company were Bully and Table Tennis on the Wii.
    I wasn't aware there was drama

I never knew much about it until I watched Guru Larry this morning.
    Rockstar North's predecessor (DMA) were making a game as second party devs; Body Harvest on the Nintendo 64. Basically Nintendo of America & Japan were constantly asking them to change it & in the end cancelled it. DMA were f*cked & scrambled to sell the company to Gremlin Interactive (who?) to stay afloat. They eventually published Body Harvest & used some of the original designs sandbox elements(which Nintendo didn't approve) to make GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know how much was the Wii U on release and was there any availability issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Anyone know how much was the Wii U on release and was there any availability issues?

380 for Zombie U Edition I can't recall what it's availability was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,589 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

It was supposed to be €350 I think but a lot of places charged €370 or €380. I wanted the ZombiU bundle but couldn't find it so had to settle for the Nintendo Land bundle. I don't think there was an excess of stock. It was tough enough to get on launch day. I ended up going to Harvey Norman to buy mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

McLoughlin wrote: »

380 for Zombie U Edition I can't recall what it's availability was though.
    Zombie U was great fun... for about ten minutes. I remember having it brand new and playing it to spite myself for the purchase, even though I had my Xbox 360 just sitting there with a newish Black Ops 2 and Zombie Mode wanting me more.

Has it been revealed whether the Nintendo Switch will be backwards compatible so you can play games like DK tropical freeze and Mario Kart 8 from the Wii U?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Has it been revealed whether the Nintendo Switch will be backwards compatible so you can play games like DK tropical freeze and Mario Kart 8 from the Wii U?

Wont be backwards compatible with the wii u as that was disk and switch will be card, but they have shown a mario kart 8 possible port/new game in the switch advert tho.

Wont be backwards compatible with the wii u as that was disk and switch will be card, but they have shown a mario kart 8 possible port/new game in the switch advert tho.

Perhaps Mario Kart 8 will be available digitally in the store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Perhaps Mario Kart 8 will be available digitally in the store?

Cant rule it out to be honest, ive no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some stores in Australia already advertising the Switch

x3Srdb-lvZTMuCaIoXfbVTuYJafzuvitGJ95GAs-c8s-640x360.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd say the focus for WiiU ports will be for digital, and those who bought digital copies for the WiiU will benefit from a heavy discount on the Switch edition. Those of us who were future proofing with physical copies will be out of luck.
    Unless...
    Nintendo adopt a Xbox like policy and use the physical disc as a key to the Switch specific edition, maybe with a small sum to pay as the Switch version will have extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I'd say the focus for WiiU ports will be for digital, and those who bought digital copies for the WiiU will benefit from a heavy discount on the Switch edition. Those of us who were future proofing with physical copies will be out of luck.
    Unless...
    Nintendo adopt a Xbox like policy and use the physical disc as a key to the Switch specific edition, maybe with a small sum to pay as the Switch version will have extras.

There's always money to get back by selling physical copies on. Really hoping there'll be discounts on digital stuff, everything I have on Wii U is digital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    There's always money to get back by selling physical copies on. Really hoping there'll be discounts on digital stuff, everything I have on Wii U is digital.

Should be, the habit seems to be that for the games you own on the Wii, buying them for the WiiU got you a discount, for example with Majoras Mask.
    They'll roll it out as each remade WiiU game arises, but otherwise it could be a good idea, particularly if the console appeals to a larger audience than the WiiU one, it'll mean more people to be exposed to the likes of Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Is Nintendo's strategy to keep relying on the same six or so titles forever?

Something like

- Mario
    - Mario Kart
    - Zelda
    - Metroid
    - Pokémon
    - Starfox

And then re-releasing the old versions of these through the store?

I'm intrigued by the Switch, but I'll hold back to see if anything new is coming out, because I haven't been interested in some of these games since the 90s. My last home console of theirs was the SNES!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Saipanne wrote: »

Something like

- Mario
    - Mario Kart
    - Zelda
    - Metroid
    - Pokémon
    - Starfox

I'm intrigued by the Switch, but I'll hold back to see if anything new is coming out, because I haven't been interested in some of these games since the 90s. My last home console of theirs was the SNES!

The last starfox on the wiiu was the first new home console game since way back in the GameCube days, well over ten years ago.
    There was one of two starfox releases on handheld nothing major.

Metro id didn't get a release on the wiiu and as far as I know there was only two on the Wii and they were completely different from classic metroid.

And it's looking like the wiiu won't get a zelda either.

Even the likes of Mario kart only gets 1 release per hardware cycle, so I'm not sure if they are only releasing those titles.

There were some new ideas and titles released on the WiiU such as Splatoon, wonderful 101 and bayonetta(not really new but newish).
    There's also some great other titles like Fire Emblem which you didn't mention and which only kinda got a home console release on WiiU.
    Also Pikmin is another great series and there's only been 3 in the life cycle of Nintnedo.

The whole video game industry is reliant on rereleases/remasters/remakes/sequels and to be honest Nintendo are not the worst.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The last starfox on the wiiu was the first new home console game since way back in the GameCube days, well over ten years ago.
    There was one of two starfox releases on handheld nothing major.

Metro id didn't get a release on the wiiu and as far as I know there was only two on the Wii and they were completely different from classic metroid.

And it's looking like the wiiu won't get a zelda either.

Even the likes of Mario kart only gets 1 release per hardware cycle, so I'm not sure if they are only releasing those titles.

There were some new ideas and titles released on the WiiU such as Splatoon, wonderful 101 and bayonetta(not really new but newish).
    There's also some great other titles like Fire Emblem which you didn't mention and which only kinda got a home console release on WiiU.
    Also Pikmin is another great series and there's only been 3 in the life cycle of Nintnedo.

The whole video game industry is reliant on rereleases/remasters/remakes/sequels and to be honest Nintendo are not the worst.

You're right, but thankfully there are many developers so I don't have to rely on just one which was the weakness of Nintendo systems for the last few generations.

It looks like the Switch will have a lot of 3rd party support, so hopefully it will be different this time. However, I just bought a PS4 Pro so I have access to most 3rd party titles. I also have a 3DS, so I have a portable.

I'll just have to wait and see how the Switch pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,599 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Something like

- Mario
    - Mario Kart
    - Zelda
    - Metroid
    - Pokémon
    - Starfox

Pretty much the pattern of my game buying, to be honest.

Wait for new Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda/Console.

Play the bejesus out of it.

Wait for next Mario/Mario Kart/Zelda.

I can't bleedin wait for this Switch yokey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

To be fair you could apply the "relying on the same six or so titles forever" to some PS or Xboxs owners as well

To be fair you could apply the "relying on the same six or so titles forever" to some PS or Xboxs owners as well

Yeah, there was no irony present at all when the same people who were complaining about Nintendo's reuse of IP were, themselves, looking forward to Uncharted 4, Far Cry 4, Fifa N+1 (Where N is last years one), Forza 6 and so on.

Splatoon represents a pretty awesome new IP in the Nintendo portfolio, with massive potential for the future.
    Coupled with the evolution of the Mario Kart series, which is consistently the best of any format, and the same applies to the platformy stylings of the Mario series.

I think the Nintendo approach to IP and their use so significantly in most games from the company is from a different model to Sony or MS, neither of which were so attached to the idea of a mascot, while Nintendo comes from an era where they and Sega were quite tied to this most Disney of ideas, with a significant mascot and it's world were built to be synonymous with the platform, but with Sega's hardware platforms dead it was left to Nintendo alone to take such an approach.
    To the uninitiated, or just ignorant, it seems like the "same game" over and over again, but to those who take the time to play them they are as different as can be, from Galaxy 2 to 3D World.

• Advertisement

Apparently Resident Evil 7 will be making its way to the Switch (so says a rumour) which makes it the first main series resident evil to do so since... 4?

No, you really couldn't. Those platforms have had dozens of 3rd party developers, while Nintendo hadn't. That's kind of been my point.

Let's see how it pans out. I'll wait a year, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Something like

- Mario
    - Mario Kart
    - Zelda
    - Metroid
    - Pokémon
    - Starfox

Where I am having difficulty with your point of veiw is that when I see your (as previously pointed out - incorrect) list above, my first reaction is to think nice line-up. Can't wait.

When you say something like "Mario", do you mean World or 3D or Paper or Maker or Luigi Mansion or the Yoshi games or Captain Toad or tennis or Striker or Wario or Donkey Kong or Smash Bros or Party or maybe it's just the New Super Mario Bros.

Saying a console will have a "Mario" game is such a broadly non-specific term that the statement is meaningless.

No, you really couldn't. Those platforms have had dozens of 3rd party developers, while Nintendo hadn't. That's kind of been my point.

Let's see how it pans out. I'll wait a year, I'd say.

Just take a look at the top sellers on the other formats in the last year
    http://time.com/money/4602591/most-popular-video-games-2016/

And there are exactly two non sequels in there, and there are 3 games exclusive to Nintendo systems in there as well.

Yes, Third parties are an issue but they are probably not quite as big a deal as one would think.
    The WiiU may not have had EA on board for long but Ubisoft and Activision certainly were, though WiiU owners were more interested in 1st party Nintendo titles, probably because they offered a better experience than the likes of Black Flag.

If the Switch is adopted as a 3DS replacement, even in part, it could be absolutely massive, particularly if we see CoD and Skyrim ported to it with few, if any, compromises. Such titles, coupled with main franchise releases like Pokemon and Splatoon could make the Switch a must have if you love videogames.

James74 wrote: »
    Where I am having difficulty with your point of veiw is that when I see your (as previously pointed out - incorrect) list above, my first reaction is to think nice line-up. Can't wait.

When you say something like "Mario", do you mean World or 3D or Paper or Maker or Luigi Mansion or the Yoshi games or Captain Toad or tennis or Striker or Wario or Donkey Kong or Smash Bros or Party or maybe it's just the New Super Mario Bros.

Saying a console will have a "Mario" game is such a broadly non-specific term that the statement is meaningless.

They all blend into one for me, which, again, is kind of my point. I'm simply bored of their IPs.

They all blend into one for me, which, again, is kind of my point. I'm simply bored of their IPs.

For you personally, they all blend in. Despite them all being pretty distinctly different and from distinct genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Honestly that's kind of like saying "I'm sick of games starring Caucasian males. They all blend into one."

Even just looking at "Mario" games alone there's a large variety of styles and genres. They just happen to feature Mario et al, possibly as they tend to improve sales when compared to using new characters instead.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Honestly that's kind of like saying "I'm sick of games starring Caucasian males. They all blend into one."

Even just looking at "Mario" games alone there's a large variety of styles and genres. They just happen to feature Mario et al, possibly as they tend to improve sales when compared to using new characters instead.

Yeah, I hear ya. I know they are different games, but it all somehow looks the same.

But I suppose it's no coincidence that the last time Mario or Foxes flying spaceships appealed to me was when I was ten.

If you want to relive your youth with a modern game, I can see the appeal. I just moved on after PlayStation came out and never looked back.

I hope the Switch shows an opening to other styles. I'll be watching and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah, I hear ya. I know they are different games, but it all somehow looks the same.

But I suppose it's no coincidence that the last time Mario or Foxes flying spaceships appealed to me was when I was ten.

If you want to relive your youth with a modern game, I can see the appeal. I just moved on after PlayStation came out and never looked back.

I hope the Switch shows an opening to other styles. I'll be watching and waiting.

This is where I feel Nintendo's aesthetic choices count both for and against them. They're great at appearing to be welcoming to people of all ages but can sometimes put off gamers when they enter teens/adulthood.

It's really unfortunate because underneath the graphics are often some of the greatest games ever created. And I say that as a 28 year old.

The Mario Galaxy games are my favourite games of all time and I say that as someone who has been gaming since I was 3 and have owned virtually every console to come out since 2000. It's not related to recapturing my youth as I didn't actually own a SNES or N64 at that point as my parents tended to choose the console I got so had a Mega Drive and PS One instead. I feel that the mechanics of the underlying game are just perfect and the number of ideas introduced but never exhausting is mind boggling.

I do love my PS4 and X1 as well but honestly feel if I didn't own a Nintendo console I would feel I was missing out on some of the best games around. As good as the games on other systems have been so far this generation I would still rank several Wii U games higher than their best (although Bloodborne and Witcher 3 would come close).

You mention you have a 3DS so I would really recommend trying Majora's Mask. If you give it a go I think you will see that there is nothing childish about it and it is in fact quite dark.

I would say though that if you can only get one console just based on the last 2 generations it is increasingly hard to recommend solely going Nintendo. The software gaps have just been too large and particularly with the Wii U there has been a lack of 3rd party support. Hopefully with Nintendo probably only having to focus on one system instead of split resources across 2 and ideally able to attract more 3rd parties this might improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I want to prefix this by saying I am no way a Nintendo fanboy. I won't be pre-ordering the Switch (I wish nobody would!). I will see how it pans out before buying one, if at all.

However, if you haven't played a Nintendo IP in a long while, you really are missing out!

Nintendo's IPs are generally more gameplay focussed than their narrative driven counterparts from Sony and Microsoft. I don't understand how you wouldn't be 'into' excellent gameplay.

I'm not saying Nintendo is the be all, end all either. I'm glad the other competitors focus on narrative driven games or niche titles. A case in point; Yakuza is hands down my favourite series. It would be a travesty if Nintendo followed suit though. Variety should please everyone.

Your should really give them a try again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement