Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A treatise on Mick Wallace

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

not sure why wallace is being attacked so strongly here , the hard left have been blaming the west for islamists for years , any condemnation of islamist attrocitys is always qualified , wallace has said nothing new here

Wallace's reactionary tweet is also factually unsound.

While France has a significant arms industry, it accounted for only 6.7% of arms transfers in between 2004 and 2014 (source: Stockholm International Peace Research Institute database) - a bit more than the UK and a bit less than Germany......

.......Compared to 57% for the US and Russia combined - and no prizes for guessing who transfers twice as much as the other within that pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/mick-wallace-criticised-over-tweet-about-paris-attacks-1.2430575

"Neither Mr Wallace nor Ms Daly were available for comment on Saturday"

When was the last time that happened?

"Asked about comments by TDs Mick Wallace and Clare Daly on Twitter, Tanaiste Joan Burton said it was not appropriate to have “backhanded ways of defending terrorism”."

Joan gets something right.

Wallace will be on Claire Byrne at 1 on radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mossleycnoc

Rather lightweight justification by Deputy Wallace on RTE Radio One Clare Byrne Show of his comments on Twitter. Not really surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Jawgap wrote: »
    The time for looking into the 'why' of such events is not when police are about to storm a building to try and save lives and rescue hostages - in other words when events are still in full flow.

The question raised by Wallace is undoubtedly valid but his timing shows, being as kind as I can possibly be about it, poor judgment.

He should save his point scoring for a few days.

I have sympathy for Wallace. People seem to use Twitter to blurt out whatever comes into their heads without thinking for a moment if they really should be broadcasting it all the planet in this way!

As someone else posted what he said is the general left wing analysis that these sort of events in Europe or the US are always the inevitable reactions to toxic Western "isms", colonialism, militarism, racism etc. Tooth-grindingly offensive to have to listen to right now.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I have sympathy for Wallace. People seem to use Twitter to blurt out whatever comes into their heads without thinking for a moment if they really should be broadcasting it all the planet in this way!

As someone else posted what he said is the general left wing analysis that these sort of events in Europe or the US are always the inevitable reactions to toxic Western "isms", colonialism, militarism, racism etc. Tooth-grindingly offensive to have to listen to right now.

I have had a good look around online and the only other European example I can find of a politician trying to make a political point out of this outrage is Farage of UKIP. It was completely inappropriate but Daly was in some ways worse and she had time to think before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Godge wrote: »
    I have had a good look around online and the only other European example I can find of a politician trying to make a political point out of this outrage is Farage of UKIP. It was completely inappropriate but Daly was in some ways worse and she had time to think before posting.

True. I was considering "joe soap", with brain directly hooked up to a global self-publishing device while the tragedy is ongoing.
    We should expect more of politicians, people we elect to represent us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nah, he had time to think. If he wasn't sure he shouldn't have posted.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Nah, he had time to think. If he wasn't sure he shouldn't have posted.

Imagine if it was Croke Park, the Three Arena, Dundrum Shopping Centre and a restaurant in Temple Bar with over a hundred dead Irish kids, would Wallace have made the same tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem with the likes of Wallace is that he is not a politician, he is a builder who happened to be elected TD.

Most politicians know when is the right and when is the wrong time to make a point.

I'm all for people from outside traditional political backgrounds (student unions, youth party members, election workers, family of politicians, etc) becoming involved in politics and running for office, but the electorate need to choose wisely when they chose people from non traditional political backgrounds.

As for Daly, she's just a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

An analysis that doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, all those isms have been going on for 100s of years. This sort of fanatical suicide attack on innocent civilians if comparatively recent and only seems to be coming out of the middle east and more recently parts of Africa. If this was an inevitable consequence of western policy in general this type of violence would be a global phenomenon. Its not. Wallace specifically mentioned Militarism, Europe during the Cold War was highly Militarised, there was some but not much terrorism. The Korean peninsula is highly militarised, is this kind of thing happening in Seoul?

Wallace and his ilk love to make grand statements on foreign relations, global politics because their over simplifications aren't so obvious and they have even less influence of international affairs than they do on domestic ones. Its basically easier for them to criticise America/France than to offer and detailed policy proposals for domestic government.

Its not clear who the perpetrators of the attacks in Paris are, but if they turn out to have mostly been born in western Europe the primary reason for their actions is hardly French Militarism, far be it for Wallace to wait for the facts to emerge before making pronouncements on the subject. This a complex issue, too complex for 140 characters, Wallace is an elected representative not a bored teenager if he had any sense (which he doesn't) he'd wait a few days and use a different medium to publish his views. To be honest I think guy is no more than an attention seeker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Wallace and Daly are anti French warmongering which is a common feature in today's French political arena which is one of ditch Arab states and focus on launching military attacks instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Wallace and Daly are anti French warmongering.

They are anti west.... which is fine, they don't pretend otherwise.... Ireland is soaked in its hypocrisy.

Its a bit unfair to call france "warmongering".
    To put it in context, France's military exports amount to about 1.5% or total exports... or less than 1/3rd of 1 percent of France's GDP.

You couldn't say that France depends on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

The tweet and follow up, were a few weeks early. They should have given the people time to morn. Sadly we have had many jump in with their 2 cents. More innocents are being bombed in retaliation as we post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For Reals wrote: »
    The tweet and follow up, were a few weeks early. They should have given the people time to morn. Sadly we have had many jump in with their 2 cents. More innocents are being bombed in retaliation as we post.

Civilians living in Raqqa gave the targets to be attacked, a group of civilians known as Raqqa is being slowly slaughtered helped the West with where to hit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sure why don't you let us know what you've done for your local community- have you established a football club that has got thousands of local kids off the streets and produced international players for the Ireland squad? Mick Wallace has, somehow I doubt you can trump that.

Some people in this world are do-ers, others just like to sit back and moan about others getting up off their arse and nothing is ever good enough for them. Mick Wallace is a do-er and if you think he is going to go from 13,000 votes to under 3,000 and lose his seat then I think you are going to be proven very, very wrong.

Its easy to be a do-er when you don't pay your creditors.

Thousands of kids? Come on

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Twitter was invented for the likes of Wallace and Daly. Perfect platform for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

walshb wrote: »
    Twitter was invented for the likes of Wallace and Daly. Perfect platform for them!

So they can comment on important issues and reach their followers in a timely manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

lanos wrote: »
    So they can comment on important issues and reach their followers in a timely manner.

That's one way of putting it.
    'Electoral trolling' is another.....

And with all the means available to them, not once ever can he & his bang-buddy enunciate a viable alternative.

• Advertisement

lanos wrote: »

no, because they are intellectually incapable of coherently saying anything with more than 140 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Godge wrote: »
    no, because they are intellectually incapable of coherently saying anything with more than 140 characters.

Sure that covers most of the TD's in the Dail. Most of them cant string a sentence together without a load of ahs, ehs after every second word.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Has this thread reached it's end? I think so. If you disagree send me a PM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement