Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A treatise on Mick Wallace

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bambi wrote: »
    I think Wallace has good reasons not to have confidence in the gardai when it comes to policing their patrons

What about the PSNI? why not go to them if his faith in the AGS is not good enough, would revenue and their investigations division have any point here? what about the Seanad to ask the questions?

I am not saying the AGS are beyond reproach but if he has evidence or a whistleblower, surely there must be someone he can trust with it, failing that, plenty of journalists who would love to stick their fingers in there I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm not sure if Wallace ever knew for certain who exactly the politician was but he knew the story of the £7m lying in an off shore account to be true. I get the feeling his Dail statement was to throw the cat amongst the pidgeons and see how they react. It was the reaction of the lawyers that really set this story running, immediately we knew there was truth to the £7m allegation.

Interestingly former Vice President of the US Dan Quayle is a director of the private equity company Cerebrus. If the FBI launch an investigation under the US laws broken here things could get even more sticky yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Quayle met Peter Robinson and others a couple of months before Cerebrus bought the loan book, Cerebrus say it was an official meeting but it seems a secret to Martin McGuinness and more importantly, Stormont.

http://www.irishnews.com/opinion/leadingarticle/2015/07/09/news/secret-meeting-must-be-explained-176280/

Also of importance is what seems to be a sudden u-turn in DUP policy on the speed of NAMA sales of assets:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/nama-scandal-dup-deny-major-robinson-u-turn-months-before-cerberus-deal-1-6836489

The timing of the turn around in policy and the secret meeting a few months later seems unfortunate coinincidences!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah its looking like Robinson has questions to answer for sure. From yesterdays events in the Dail it seems like Michael Noonan knew a lot more about the Project Eagle deal than he had let on before. This is beginning to smell like the IBRC affair did before Noonan eventually capitulated and established an inquiry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Like him or loathe him, Wallace certainly is making a few people squirm

Claims in the Dail today about a bribe to a NAMA official
    NAMA refers it to the Gardai
    Enda cannot comment as the Gardai are involved

Except he could, because of Dail privilege

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »

He's entitled to comment on anything, from corruption in Nama, to the price of biscuits for cabinet meetings, to his neighbour's extra-marital affairs. It doesn't mean he ought to. We are entitled to hope that he will exercise the functions of his office appropriately, now that Mick Wallace has (quite appropriately) brought these allegations to light.

The last few weeks have shown how incredibly important parliamentary privilege is, but it has a limit. Now that MW has set-out the allegations, an investigation should pass to the appropriate authorities. The Taoiseach should stay out of it, and of course he will.

Someone should remind Nama of that. A Nama spokesman gave a public warning that Mick Wallace may be committing a criminal offence by not going straight to the police with information on corruption. I think it would be far more appropriate if Nama just assist the Gardai with their job, and quit behaving like a gung-ho little policeman themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scipio_Hib

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Like him or loathe him, Wallace certainly is making a few people squirm

Claims in the Dail today about a bribe to a NAMA official
    NAMA refers it to the Gardai
    Enda cannot comment as the Gardai are involved

True, but Wallace could also have named the official under privilege too, could he not?

Scipio_Hib wrote: »
    True, but Wallace could also have named the official under privilege too, could he not?

He was sensible enough not to

More allegations from Wallace on NAMA, now it is that there was €15,000 in cash paid by a developer to exit NAMA and a NAMA Portfolio Manager took the bribe.
    As usual Enda does his headmaster talking down to Wallace, telling him to bring the matter to Gardai, PAC. Still no sign of an inquiry while the stench of corruption and bribery gets even stronger

Oh look, Dail summer recess.
    Enda and co will hope people will have forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I would like to know when the inquiry is starting into the apparent lack of action by the authorities into micks tax affairs and the huge loss to the tax payer. How much has he paid back?

I see also he is supporting Michael mckevitt (rira) in his bid for freedom. Makes me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I would like to know when the inquiry is starting into the apparent lack of action by the authorities into micks tax affairs and the huge loss to the tax payer. How much has he paid back?
    he is paying it afaik
    I see also he is supporting Michael mckevitt (rira) in his bid for freedom. Makes me sick

as is the minister for justice apparently? as he was freed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

mick is ruffling feathers and his seat is safe.

The enquiry ?????
    has it been setup and terms of reference decided.
    we're just waiting for a start date are we ?

Huge loss, how many million
    or is it thousand ?
    please provide sources

it probably doesn't really.
    any old stick will do to beat poor mick

lanos wrote: »
    The enquiry ?????
    has it been setup and terms of reference decided.
    we're just waiting for a start date are we ?

Huge loss, how many million
    or is it thousand ?
    please provide sources

it probably doesn't really.
    any old stick will do to beat poor mick

Really, looking for a link in relation to his tax affairs. Google is great. Here's one tho...

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-how-mick-wallace-fobbed-off-probe-over-tax-deal-28955551.html

Really, looking for a link in relation to his tax affairs. Google is great. Here's one tho...

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-how-mick-wallace-fobbed-off-probe-over-tax-deal-28955551.html

Thanks for the link
    the VAT issue was surely an Accounting issue.
    The VAT irregularity must be blamed on the Accounting firm that handles mick's affairs
    and there is no huge loss
    apparently he has settled with revenue and received a tax clearance cert

and how much he has paid back is between him and Revenue
    unless you want to suggest that he has high powered influence in Revenue
    i doubt it.
    now we should put this silly episode to bed and concentrate on the bigger isssues
    that Mick has raised, such as:
    Garda whistleblowers
    AGS corruption
    NAMA corruption, bribery, embezzelment etc

Depends on if he uses an Accountancy firm to do so. By my recollection that wasn't an issue at the time and he admitted he omitted the sales for purely cash flow reasons, there was no mistake here!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mick knew well what he was doing using money earmarked for Revenue as cashflow for his business. Many people in business (including myself) have found themselves in sticky situations with cash flow during the recession. In many cases it is a matter of do I let the company fold and lay off staff or do I 'borrow' this money from Revenue in the hope that the business picks up and we turn it around. Any accountant will tell you its a daft thing to do but we're only human and plenty of businessmen did the exact same as Wallace during the bust, some got away with it, some didn't. Its not something I'd hang him for myself and I reckon anyone who has ever ran their own business and has been under the stress of financial strain will appreciate the unenviable position Wallace found himself in.

The main reason why certain posters on here bleat on about his tax affairs 4 years after the event is because they don't agree with his politics. They don't like the way he attacked and won against the incompetence of Garda management, he exposed the MoJ and the Minister and party hacks here hate him for it. So they use the tax affairs (which are long since sorted with Revenue btw) as a stick to beat him with because it's all they've got. You won't see the same people congratulating Wallace on exposing more corruption in NAMA. We're only at the tip of the iceberg and Wallace has already exposed a £7m bribe in the north and another €30,000 bribe here down south. If Wallace goes on to expose €100m worth of corruption and bribery in NAMA you'll still have people on here slagging him about his tax affairs.

You have a point but still, the guy went onto to be a TD, and if the indo article is correct, was hardly forthcoming to a Dail committee.

There's a middle ground on these things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mick knew well what he was doing using money earmarked for Revenue as cashflow for his business. Many people in business (including myself) have found themselves in sticky situations with cash flow during the recession. In many cases it is a matter of do I let the company fold and lay off staff or do I 'borrow' this money from Revenue in the hope that the business picks up and we turn it around. Any accountant will tell you its a daft thing to do but we're only human and plenty of businessmen did the exact same as Wallace during the bust, some got away with it, some didn't. Its not something I'd hang him for myself and I reckon anyone who has ever ran their own business and has been under the stress of financial strain will appreciate the unenviable position Wallace found himself in.

The main reason why certain posters on here bleat on about his tax affairs 4 years after the event is because they don't agree with his politics. They don't like the way he attacked and won against the incompetence of Garda management, he exposed the MoJ and the Minister and party hacks here hate him for it. So they use the tax affairs (which are long since sorted with Revenue btw) as a stick to beat him with because it's all they've got. You won't see the same people congratulating Wallace on exposing more corruption in NAMA. We're only at the tip of the iceberg and Wallace has already exposed a £7m bribe in the north and another €30,000 bribe here down south. If Wallace goes on to expose €100m worth of corruption and bribery in NAMA you'll still have people on here slagging him about his tax affairs.
    I wouldn't hang him for that at all, I am sure many have done it and got away with it, I don't like it but I understand it.

Its the pension fund issues I would hang him for, did he ever pay that back?

As for his NAMA expose, fair play if that what got the ball rolling but I am confused as to why he would not give over info to the PSNI if he did not trust the Gardai? Hats off to him if its his comments in the dail that got it started.

As for party hacks, I was a green for years but as I became more and more involved, I became more and more uninterested in supporting them as they often had no idea what they were on about as a party with a clear lack of understanding of how the real world worked. This said I would still vote for Eamonn as he understood reality better than most of the party masses.

FG/F, I still can't tell the difference bar one is in power when the country is ****ed and one is in power when the country is doing well, that is the only marginal difference, if one of them broke that cycle for a few years, I suspect the difference would be the same and they would just swap roles

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    You have a point but still, the guy went onto to be a TD, and if the indo article is correct, was hardly forthcoming to a Dail committee.

There's a middle ground on these things.

Yeah I agree and I certainly wouldn't defend him on the pensions aspect of his financial collapse. But IMO some of the posting about him borders on vitriol.

At the end of the day I believe his heart is in the right place. Perhaps his politics isn't for everyone but not having alternative voices like Wallace, Daly, Murphy, Donnelly in the Dail would mean that our democracy would be a lot poorer

CramCycle wrote: »

Yeah same here, that was bad form. I'm unsure if he is paying it back, I'd be keen to know though

lanos wrote: »
    Thanks for the link
    the VAT issue was surely an Accounting issue.
    The VAT irregularity must be blamed on the Accounting firm that handles mick's affairs
    and there is no huge loss
    apparently he has settled with revenue and received a tax clearance cert

and how much he has paid back is between him and Revenue
    unless you want to suggest that he has high powered influence in Revenue
    i doubt it.
    now we should put this silly episode to bed and concentrate on the bigger isssues
    that Mick has raised, such as:
    Garda whistleblowers
    AGS corruption
    NAMA corruption, bribery, embezzelment etc

Typical response. I want my voice to be heard loudest and lets ignore the wrong I do. The man apparently wont pay back what he owes the tax payer until hes over 100 years old. Manages to go to all the big football tournaments etc.

If it was ordinary Joe soap who had done it, it would be a criminal trial. Why hasn't revenue/guards fully investigated this. Surely, justice should seen to be done , particularly when its our political representatives. Didn't want to cooperate either.

Someone who has taken so much surely should be excluded from participation in Dail Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So Mick has reported his information on the Nama official taking a bribe to dispose of a portfolio to the Gardai.

I'm sceptical if anything comes of this. I'm thinking is a case that someone started a rumor that will ultimately prove unfounded and that Mick just thought he could be like Katherine Murphy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah same here, that was bad form. I'm unsure if he is paying it back, I'd be keen to know though

the pensions is one issue

he many many contractors that he left in the lurch for work done and materials provided is another matter altogether dont think they are ever gona get paid back .... or them or any of thier family or frineds vote for wallace again :)

So Mick has reported his information on the Nama official taking a bribe to dispose of a portfolio to the Gardai.

I'm sceptical if anything comes of this. I'm thinking is a case that someone started a rumor that will ultimately prove unfounded and that Mick just thought he could be like Katherine Murphy.
    Nama €30k 'bribe' man in earlier Garda probe http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/nama-30k-bribe-man-in-earlier-garda-probe-31387165.html

some smoke

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wouldn't hang him for that at all, I am sure many have done it and got away with it, I don't like it but I understand it.

He also insists that the widely held, and reported, view that he withheld pension entitlements from some of his employees, is simply false. “We paid every penny due of the pensions. I was fined for late payment and this was due to a row over whether we owed money for people who had left the company”.
    http://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2015/07/undaunted-austerity-fighter/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/wallace-pays-just-23k-of-21m-tax-bill-but-it-should-be-cleared-by-2058-221582.html

Mick will be 102 before he pays back the taxpayer. Unbelievable. Plenty of world cups before that.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/wallace-pays-just-23k-of-21m-tax-bill-but-it-should-be-cleared-by-2058-221582.html

Mick will be 102 before he pays back the taxpayer. Unbelievable. Plenty of world cups before that.

so he's paying it back
    fair play to him

and when his business is back trading profitably he will pay back fully.

I wonder how long Sean Quinn will take to pay back IBRC
    how about never ? - (I realise hes not a TD but loads of people still lick his arse)

well done mick on a very good effort
    after terrible bad luck in business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Fine Gael run a plonker of a candididate in Gorey who was expecting his daddy's seat. He was since made a senator. Fine Gael have been throwing everything bar the kitchen sink at mick Wallace since to try and oust him hoping for a by election to get their chosen man into his his plum job.

Imo Wallace has played a blinder. Tho it wouldn't kill him to to look more presentable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement