Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A treatise on Mick Wallace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Phoebas wrote: »
    He said he would keep his full salary if reelected. Said he has his own expenses and needs the money.

The indo reporter must have been asleep at the debate.

In relation to the question then, no I wouldn't see it as an abuse of his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Revenue might take a different view.

AFAIK he already has an agreement with the Revenue to repay it, presumably paying half his salary exceeded that agreement. He is saying he has bills to pay and will repay the full amount if he ever gets back into construction. If he does ever get back to construction I'd imagine (given his previous track records) he will have paid the Revenue debt in under five years of trading.

Personally I'd prefer see him continuing to ask questions about the billions this FG govt is throwing away through NAMA. 'Deal of the Century' is what a London property hedge fund manager described NAMAs sale of Battersea Power Station on the south bank of the Thames. The site went for a bargain £400m and immediately sold out the first phase for £1bn with hundreds of £5m priced apartments being snapped up by wealthy Londoners in a single weekend of the launch. Subsequent phases are expected to reach £5bn meaning at the end of it all NAMA will have sold a prime London site for 8% of what the developers eventually grossed from it- no wonder that hedge fund manager called it 'Deal of the Century' because NAMA and the Irish taxpayer got totally mugged. And thats only the tip of the NAMA iceberg which has wasted billions in public money under the supervision and instruction of Michael Noonan and FG. Wallce is about the only one asking questions about FG and their dodgy deals.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

He said he would keep his full salary if reelected. Said he has his own expenses and needs the money.

You mean like his frequent trips abroad to soccer matches (check out his Twitter where he regularly posts photos of himself at Italian soccer matches where he still has season tickets, seems to go to all the away Irish matches too).

You would imagine that his living expenses should be low as he can stay for free at his "brothers" vineyard as his brother owes him one.

Double standards!

Muahahaha wrote: »

Personally I'd prefer see him continuing to ask questions about the billions this FG govt is throwing away through NAMA. 'Deal of the Century' is what a London property hedge fund manager described NAMAs sale of Battersea Power Station on the south bank of the Thames. The site went for a bargain £400m and immediately sold out the first phase for £1bn with hundreds of £5m priced apartments being snapped up by wealthy Londoners in a single weekend of the launch. Subsequent phases are expected to reach £5bn meaning at the end of it all NAMA will have sold a prime London site for 8% of what the developers eventually grossed.

I think your maths are missing one tiny factor, it's called building costs which considering the complex nature of the site (preserved structure) aint going to be cheap

Don't let that get in the way of posting some sexy stats

I think your maths are missing one tiny factor, it's called building costs which considering the complex nature of the site (preserved structure) aint going to be cheap

Don't let that get in the way of posting some sexy stats

The vast majority of the site is just prime London land on the South Bank, the power station itself is but a fraction of space on that site. Last time I was in London I stayed with a mate next door to Battersea and the site was fully marked out, 20% was the actual power station, the other 80% was pretty clear and leveled land in the heart of London where land prices are as high as ever, driven by locals, American, Russians and Arabs.

'Deal of the Century' as the property hedge fund manager described it. He's not wrong- unless you can show me a better deal than NAMAs flogging of Battersea Power Station for buttons?

I don't think you can but sure entertain me and also tell me how you think NAMA selling Battersea for £400m was "in the best interests of the Irish taxpayer" as NAMA and our so called Minister of Finance Noonan keep telling us? This is despite the fact that the Battersea site will now likely generate around €10bn when the Malaysian investors are finished building it out. And this is only one NAMA deal but it is also one of their earliest. If they set out as they meant to carry on then they have lost the Irish taxpayer billions of public money. All of this has happened under FG supervision, it is a policy for them to sell the taxpayer short. So fair play to Wallace for pointing out how badly NAMA has performed for the Irish taxpayer. I certainly don't see any of Fine Gaels 70 odd TDs pointing out this scandal so someone has to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

You can be sure someone is going to get paid on the back end of that deal. Quietly, and out of view of the taxpayer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

You mean like his frequent trips abroad to soccer matches (check out his Twitter where he regularly posts photos of himself at Italian soccer matches where he still has season tickets, seems to go to all the away Irish matches too).

You would imagine that his living expenses should be low as he can stay for free at his "brothers" vineyard as his brother owes him one.

Double standards!

Those under NAMA "control" weren't exactly offering to sacrifice their luxuries either.....

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/nama-wife-handed-living-expenses-of-9-000-a-month-to-keep-her-in-d4

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/harry-crosbie-objects-to-monthly-living-expenses-of-5-000-1.1863326

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/politics/nama-to-pay-salaries-expenses-to-developers-123606.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

True but they are not TDs who went in to clean up politics.

Neither is Mick so I don't get your point :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

CramCycle wrote: »
    Neither is Mick so I don't get your point :pac:

have a look at his twitter account ,
    alleging political corruption seems to be a major reoccurring issue
    the whole nama issue was about political corruption till it turned out he was trying to deflect them away from calling in his loans.

pots and kettles anyone ?

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    have a look at his twitter account ,
    alleging political corruption seems to be a major reoccurring issue

So Tds shouldn't talk about corruption? You'd want to be pretty naive to think that corruption doesn't happen in Ireland after all that has gone on here so it isn't that surprising when Tds like Wallace and Daly give an ear to whistleblowers who don't agree with taxpayers money ending up in Isle of Man bank accounts.

In anyways mynamejeff after the debate last night do you still believe that Mick Wallace won't get elected in Wexford? I'm also interested in your views on the Wexford constituency seeing as you know a lot about it- can you tell us why Vincent Brown said the stats show it is the third most deprived constutuency in Ireland? Any opinions on that?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So Tds shouldn't talk about corruption? You'd want to be pretty naive to think that corruption doesn't happen in Ireland after all that has gone on here so it isn't that surprising when Tds like Wallace and Daly give an ear to whistleblowers who don't agree with taxpayers money ending up in Isle of Man bank accounts.

In anyways mynamejeff after the debate last night do you still believe that Mick Wallace won't get elected in Wexford? I'm also interested in your views on the Wexford constituency seeing as you know a lot about it- can you tell us why Vincent Brown said the stats show it is the third most deprived constutuency in Ireland? Any opinions on that?

Seeing as you asked . I think a quite obviously corrupt ex developer and convicted criminal who now screams "corruption " at an organisation whom he owes a large amount of money which he is refusing to pay is more than a bit rich . Dont you ? What banks do you think wallace hid his money in ? or did transferring everything to his brothers and sons names do enough ? might be its in the vineyard or massive property portfolio in england else where ? lol duh !

I didnt watch the show tBH i never do . And I don't know if he will get in or not . I certainly hope he doesn't. Wexford has suffered a lot yes , So have a lot of places . Theres still a hospital in wexford , they are building a huge road part of European rout one from rosslaire north. There are still a lot of people who drive every day from wexford to dublin to work and lots of houses being built there , gorey has the biggest secondary school in ireland i think. so not sure where the stats you mentioned come from ,

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Seeing as you asked . I think a quite obviously corrupt ex developer and convicted criminal who now screams "corruption " at an organisation whom he owes a large amount of money which he is refusing to pay is more than a bit rich . Dont you ? What banks do you think wallace hid his money in ? or did transferring everything to his brothers and sons names do enough ? might be its in the vineyard or massive property portfolio in england else where ? lol duh !

I didnt watch the show tBH i never do . And I don't know if he will get in or not . I certainly hope he doesn't. Wexford has suffered a lot yes , So have a lot of places . Theres still a hospital in wexford , they are building a huge road part of European rout one from rosslaire north. There are still a lot of people who drive every day from wexford to dublin to work and lots of houses being built there , gorey has the biggest secondary school in ireland i think. so not sure where the stats you mentioned come from ,

Completely agree with your post, but just to correct one small thing, Wallaces loans were with Ulster Bank who were not part of NAMA, they were bailed out by the UK taxpayer.

Micks objection has been solely towards the sale of NAMA loans to the US company Cerebus (has he ever mentioned Batersea?) who were involved in the dodgy Northern Ireland loans and recently won another tender process to buy more loans from NAMA.

And guess who has bought Micks loans from Ulster Bank, yes Cerberus! Coincidence much? Also when did he start piping up about NAMA, yes shortly after his own loans were put up for sale. Only when a whistle-blower came to him did he actually merit some airtime, complete fluke

Its clear as day that his policy is to put the spotlight on Cerberus so that they don't move in on his loans or accept some half ass settlement. And even if they do move in on his loans and he is made bankrupt at least he still has access to his "brothers" vineyard for his frequent trips to Italy and he can cut back on his revenue payments again (he has committed to stop paying if he is re-elected). So lord Mick looking down on his working voters doesn't seem so badly off after all, very easy to pontificate if you can protect your luxury lifestyle by being elected to the dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Completely agree with your post, but just to correct one small thing, Wallaces loans were with Ulster Bank who were not part of NAMA, they were bailed out by the UK taxpayer.

Micks objection has been solely towards the sale of NAMA loans to the US company Cerebus (has he ever mentioned Batersea?) who were involved in the dodgy Northern Ireland loans and recently won another tender process to buy more loans from NAMA.

And guess who has bought Micks loans from Ulster Bank, yes Cerberus! Coincidence much? Also when did he start piping up about NAMA, yes shortly after his own loans were put up for sale. Only when a whistle-blower came to him did he actually merit some airtime, complete fluke

Its clear as day that his policy is to put the spotlight on Cerberus so that they don't move in on his loans or accept some half ass settlement. And even if they do move in on his loans and he is made bankrupt at least he still has access to his "brothers" vineyard for his frequent trips to Italy and he can cut back on his revenue payments again (he has committed to stop paying if he is re-elected). So lord Mick looking down on his working voters doesn't seem so badly off after all, very easy to pontificate if you can protect your luxury lifestyle by being elected to the dail.

I can tell you one thing, you don't become a successful developer if you don't look after number one first, second and third. Wallace is brilliant at making sure he comes out of disaster not just looking good but with his wealth intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Jawgap wrote: »

Wow. What a disrespectful thing to say while the situation is still ongoing. Classless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Unreal . Holy fcuk .!

• Advertisement

The only conclusion you can reach from his tweet is that Wallace is a very sick individual.

By contrast, look at what Kenny, Higgins and Cameron have had to say

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/paris-terror-attacks/paris-terror-attacks-irelands-department-of-foreign-affairs-sets-up-helpline-for-anyone-wishing-to-register-concern-34199369.html

I think there is a coldness and emotional detachment to Wallace . (It's why he doesn't get involved with local politics in Wexford, pensioners, people being evicted, it was noticeable on The People's Debate last week)

No excuse for a tweet like that at at a time like this .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Godge wrote: »

Wallace is a big fan of Irish soccer.

I wonder if he would be as philosophical about it had it been France v Ireland last night with Irish people caught up in the mayhem at the Stade De France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Sickening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A sociopath to a high degree, unless it benefits him directly he doesn't care. In this case he thought this would buy support from the left. He really just doesn't get it.

I have yet to see an action or behaviour from him that would change my view on this. People can argue in his defence that we all have slight sociopathic tendencies but few are so far along the scale as this guy.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 soaking_wet

not sure why wallace is being attacked so strongly here , the hard left have been blaming the west for islamists for years , any condemnation of islamist attrocitys is always qualified , wallace has said nothing new here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

not sure why wallace is being attacked so strongly here , the hard left have been blaming the west for islamists for years , any condemnation of islamist attrocitys is always qualified , wallace has said nothing new here

The time for looking into the 'why' of such events is not when police are about to storm a building to try and save lives and rescue hostages - in other words when events are still in full flow.

The question raised by Wallace is undoubtedly valid but his timing shows, being as kind as I can possibly be about it, poor judgment.

He should save his point scoring for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Two pathetic human beings, him and Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,303 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Bad timing Mick

• Advertisement

The thing I would say to people who vote for the likes of Wallace and Daly and other similar lowlifes, imagine if they were Taoiseach or Minister for Foreign Affairs and were being asked for their reaction and spoke like that. They would disgrace the country.

It is lucky that they are only loud-mouthed irrelevant backbenchers. If they had any position of responsibility, they would be gone this morning as ordinary people wouldn't stand for the likes of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement