Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A treatise on Mick Wallace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Why does he have to go to the guards? The information is in the public domain. Unless Mick Wallace is some ace detective, I am sure the information can be easily obtained.
    Do the guards have the will to investigate? I doubt the political bosses will allow it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Dob74 wrote: »
    Why does he have to go to the guards? The information is in the public domain. Unless Mick Wallace is some ace detective, I am sure the information can be easily obtained.
    Do the guards have the will to investigate? I doubt the political bosses will allow it.

his last investigative enterprse involved clambering over a wire fence with his girlfriend and running onto a live runway to investigate alleged international arms smuggling and war crimes so ya he is hardly scooby doo level detective

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I overheard a person talking about a crime they committed last week, I didn't bother reporting it though because the Gardai should know that it was committed.

I mean fair enough, they are probably suspicious of a company as a whole, with 108 people in it but I had a single person, name etc. to help focus their efforts but sure, why bother.

In Micks defence, he has said he wants to make sure the informer that came to him is 100% reliable, so he has just decided to throw this out there without even checking is it remotely correct.

He could well be right, the law firm involved have come out and said the person involved with putting that money in the Isle of Man has been let go as it was done without permission or informing them. No info on how he knows it was earmarked as a bribe, sloppy work if they actually left notes for auditors to find.

As for the Gardai only having such a small squad, surely since its up North the PSNI would be worth noting it too as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Why have Sinn Fein being extremely quiet on Mick Wallace's latest project?

Normally you'd have Mary Lou on every radio station making comments along with her cohorts, but not a peep, nada, zilch.

Is the NI politician Wallace is suggesting was to benefit from this a SF politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

delahuntv wrote: »
    Why have Sinn Fein being extremely quiet on Mick Wallace's latest project?

Normally you'd have Mary Lou on every radio station making comments along with her cohorts, but not a peep, nada, zilch.

Is the NI politician Wallace is suggesting was to benefit from this a SF politician?
    no its the Unionists

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

mynamejeff wrote: »
    you dont realise that wallace received huge tax breaks and grants for wexford youths ? you think its a charity not an business ?

What did we get grants for exactly?

And how is the Youths a business? There is zero money to be made in first division league of Ireland football, he and Joe have lost a bomb on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

He see himself as an outsider to the general run of GAA, cronyism, insiders that he thinks run everything in this country so you could class him as a contrarian. That fact that he come from a family of 12 children might have something to do with how he perceives the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

What did we get grants for exactly?

And how is the Youths a business? There is zero money to be made in first division league of Ireland football, he and Joe have lost a bomb on it.
    helped him get elected though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

helped him get elected though

Wouldn't dispute that. That's not what was claimed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

funny you say that every single wexford person i speak to about him expresses how much of a gangster and crook he is.
    the unpaid tax bills, the unpaid bills that he left all across the country and wexford etc

you should probably try speaking to people that aren't members of your party

You'll be coming up with stories of lads holding two pints who were telling you what a awful fool wallace was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Bambi wrote: »
    you should probably try speaking to people that aren't members of your party

You'll be coming up with stories of lads holding two pints who were telling you what a awful fool wallace was.

my party ? what party ? i dont have a party , do you think im a ff fg lb or sf party boy ? i should feel more insulted :eek:

to clarify for you

I find mick wallace
    political inept
    morally corrupt
    physically repellent .

His behavior in regard to pensions and his tax affairs is criminal and exploitative of the people who worked for him

his behavior in thr dail is embarrassing and ridiculous from presenting years old information as a bombshell to inaccurate and ill informed rants as well as his franky cringey fawning over daly

my party ? what party ? i dont have a party , do you think im a ff fg lb or sf party boy ? i should feel more insulted :eek:

to clarify for you

I find mick wallace
    political inept
    morally corrupt
    physically repellent .

His behavior in regard to pensions and his tax affairs is criminal and exploitative of the people who worked for him

his behavior in thr dail is embarrassing and ridiculous from presenting years old information as a bombshell to inaccurate and ill informed rants as well as his franky cringey fawning over daly

So how did it feel to have your rock star minister for justice forced to resign in ignominy by a fella who's politically inept?

Oh right you're not a party man, forgot that.

Maybe ask all those wexford people you're in touch with for their opinion on it and report back :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: A friendly reminder to keep it civilised folks. When the debate heats up, its he perfect time to read a few other threads, do a bit of gardening, make a cup of tea etc before replying

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Regardless of what people think of Wallace these latest revelations show him to be doing the state some service.

So while some posters would prefer focus on his tax issues from four years ago I think the public in the main will be more concerned about how Project Eagle (a tranche of 800 properties in Northern Ireland) with a book value of €5.7 billion eventually got sold by NAMA for €1.5bn (a discount of 71%) , to a company called Cerbrus less than 21 days after another company Pimco pulled out of the deal on the basis (it appears so far) that bribes were being asked to be paid to push the deal through. Now the Northern Ireland lawyers Tughans acted for both Pimco and for Cerbrus so we can be pretty certain they knew full well about the bribery allegations that meant Pimco walked away from the deal. Yet 3 weeks later they facilitate the deal with Cerbrus and £7m ends up in a Isle of Man bank account earmarked for a NI politician. The latest story on this now is that Peter Robinson met with the company Pimco before they pulled out of the deal. We now need to know what was said at that meeting. It has also been revealed that Peter Robinson's son, former DUP councillor Gareth Robinson was employed by Tughans law firm as a PR adviser to them and that many of their NAMA clients were recommended to use his services.

Wallace found out about all this and threw a grenade into NAMA, Stormount and the Dail. Now legal firms and politicians both sides of the border are scrambling to find out what happened here that saw the Irish taxpayer lose out in a potential €4.2bn and how did a £7m bribe of Irish taxpayers money end up in a offshore bank account. If all the above allegations are true then this is the largest financial scandal during the lifetime of this FG/Lab government. I think its fair to say that Wallace has indeed done the state some service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Regardless of what people think of Wallace these latest revelations show him to be doing the state some service.

So while some posters would prefer focus on his tax issues from four years ago I think the public in the main will be more concerned about how Project Eagle (a tranche of 800 properties in Northern Ireland) with a book value of €5.7 billion eventually got sold by NAMA for €1.5bn (a discount of 71%) , to a company called Cerbrus less than 21 days after another company Pimco pulled out of the deal on the basis (it appears so far) that bribes were being asked to be paid to push the deal through. Now the Northern Ireland lawyers Tughans acted for both Pimco and for Cerbrus so we can be pretty certain they knew full well about the bribery allegations that meant Pimco walked away from the deal. Yet 3 weeks later they facilitate the deal with Cerbrus and £7m ends up in a Isle of Man bank account earmarked for a NI politician. The latest story on this now is that Peter Robinson met with the company Pimco before they pulled out of the deal. We now need to know what was said at that meeting. It has also been revealed that Peter Robinson's son, former DUP councillor Gareth Robinson was employed by Tughans law firm as a PR adviser to them and that many of their NAMA clients were recommended to use his services.

Wallace found out about all this and threw a grenade into NAMA, Stormount and the Dail. Now legal firms and politicians both sides of the border are scrambling to find out what happened here that saw the Irish taxpayer lose out in a potential €4.2bn and how did a £7m bribe of Irish taxpayers money end up in a offshore bank account. If all the above allegations are true then this is the largest financial scandal during the lifetime of this FG/Lab government. I think its fair to say that Wallace has indeed done the state some service

'Whistleblower' is a dirty word to some people.
    €4.2 billion of a loss to the state?
    Kinda puts Wallace's business problems, the same problems thousands of businesses in this country had after Fianna Fail destroyed the economy, into perspective.

Take2Sean wrote: »
    I feel like the OP on this thread is Mick Wallace....

As I already said to another poster on this thread-
    And I don't know the man nor have I ever worked for him. I once saw him on Grafton St, thats the only association I've ever had with him. But what I do have in common is I run my own business and I employ people. So I respect do-ers like Wallace, they are the lifeblood of this economy and as I said I think you'll find he has contributed a lot more to this economy over the years than the average person. I respect that, you don't, instead preferring to be a hurler on the ditch.

What have you ever done for the Irish economy Take2Sean? Have you created more jobs than Mick Wallace has?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mynamejeff is banned and the last post bizarre post was deleted.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Bambi wrote: »
    So how did it feel to have your rock star minister for justice forced to resign in ignominy by a fella who's politically inept?

Oh right you're not a party man, forgot that.

Maybe ask all those wexford people you're in touch with for their opinion on it and report back :)

If a poster says they don't follow a party then don't claim they are lying about ut, otherwise it'll be the wild west on this forum.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NorthStars wrote: »
    'Whistleblower' is a dirty word to some people.
    €4.2 billion of a loss to the state?
    Kinda puts Wallace's business problems, the same problems thousands of businesses in this country had after Fianna Fail destroyed the economy, into perspective.

I'm not yet sure how much the loss to the state is, articles are stating that the 'book value' and 'par value' was €5.7bn and that it had sold for €1.5bn. However I havent yet to see when this book value was valued. The sale only took place in April 2014 so if the 800 properties were deemed to be worth €5.7bn in 2014 but were somehow sold with a 71% discount at €1.5bn then what we need now is a Commission of Inquiry right away into NAMA itself. The problem is Michael Noonan has been expressing confidence in NAMA for well on 4 years now so no doubt he will be completely opposed to any investigation into NAMA's closed door deals with private equity firms. Just the same way he didn't want a Commission of Inquiry into IBRC I'm thinking he'll do everything he can to avoid one into NAMA. The governement are already stating that NAMA have been called before the Oireachtas Finance Committee and that is more than enough. So they basically think a potential loss to the Irish taxpayer of €4.2bn is only worth an hour of questioning at an Oireachtas Committee :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

I'm not yet sure how much the loss to the state is, articles are stating that the 'book value' and 'par value' was €5.7bn and that it had sold for €1.5bn. However I havent yet to see when this book value was valued. The sale only took place in April 2014 so if the 800 properties were deemed to be worth €5.7bn in 2014 but were somehow sold with a 71% discount at €1.5bn then what we need now is a Commission of Inquiry right away into NAMA itself. The problem is Michael Noonan has been expressing confidence in NAMA for well on 4 years now so no doubt he will be completely opposed to any investigation into NAMA's closed door deals with private equity firms. Just the same way he didn't want a Commission of Inquiry into IBRC I'm thinking he'll do everything he can to avoid one into NAMA. The governement are already stating that NAMA have been called before the Oireachtas Finance Committee and that is more than enough. So they basically think a potential loss to the Irish taxpayer of €4.2bn is only worth an hour of questioning at an Oireachtas Committee :rolleyes:

Isn't it a shame that, once again, it takes an 'outsider' i.e someone from outside the FG/FF/Lab axis to bring these things to public attention?
    Enda's 'new and transparent' form of government has well and truly been forgotten.
    "Paddy likes to know what's going on"?
    I wonder will Paddy forget the false promises of 2011.

• Advertisement

I presume the book value is the figures the banks originally had them at, at least I hope so anyway. If its what NAMA paid for them that's a joke, this was an international portfolio.

Anyway, Govt. say there is no need for an inquiry. Expect one in a weeks time then going on previous similar statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I think Mick will poll circa 6000-7000 1st preference votes. This is a fair bit short of a quota and I don't know where he'll pick up transfers. My prediction is 1FF 1FG 1Lab 1SF? and a dogfight for that last seat with Mick in the running.

This is assuming he'll run of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Take2Sean

As I already said to another poster on this thread-

What have you ever done for the Irish economy Take2Sean? Have you created more jobs than Mick Wallace has?

Oh take a joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

CramCycle wrote:
    I overheard a person talking about a crime they committed last week, I didn't bother reporting it though because the Gardai should know that it was committed.

7 million of taxpayers money goes into an Isle of Man account. Since it is public already the Gardai may as well investigate. Our do you think the legal system is only for big time crooks. like those who don't pay there TV linence.

7 million of taxpayers money goes into an Isle of Man account. Since it is public already the Gardai may as well investigate. Our do you think the legal system is only for big time crooks. like those who don't pay there TV linence.

I was being facetious in case that was not terribly clear.

My point was if a person has details relating to a crime they should report it, the Gardai are not psychics and investigations are presumably easier with as much info as possible at their disposable.

I am not entirely sure what your point was?

Looks like this story is moving up a gear in the North with the announcement by the PSNI that they are calling in the National Crime Agency from London to investigate. Elaine Byrne has also complained to the FBI about US investment firm Cerbrus and the £7m found in an Isle of Man account.

Meanwhile south of the border Noonan and Kenny hide behind the Comptroller and Auditor General whilst the PSNI acknowledge the truth of Wallace's claims and get on with having a proper inquiry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Will the serious fraud office be called in by the pSNI

I really don't see the problem with Mick Wallace's Dail statement.

I think it was very responsible of him to omit naming the individual(s) and political party concerned. The transactions have such a political character that the accusations should be transparent from the outset.

At least now a legitimate investigation can proceed with some degree of public scrutiny.

NAMA is such a secretive organisation, and its affairs are so critical to the Irish economy, that If some journalist uncovered details of a police investigation years from now, the State or NI authorities would probably be forced to revisit it at great expense anyway. Such is the level of suspicion regarding NAMA management and corruption. Lets face it, Irish politics and property development have never had an ethically virtuous relationship.

I think it was very responsible of him to omit naming the individual(s) and political party concerned. The transactions have such a political character that the accusations should be transparent from the outset.

I agree with this bit, it's the bit about giving no information over to the Gardai or authorities in general that made it seem like political grandstanding rather than a desire to actually do the right thing.

Were the PSNI opening an investigation into this regardless of whether Micks statement was made or not?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I agree with this bit, it's the bit about giving no information over to the Gardai or authorities in general that made it seem like political grandstanding rather than a desire to actually do the right thing.

Were the PSNI opening an investigation into this regardless of whether Micks statement was made or not?

I think Wallace has good reasons not to have confidence in the gardai when it comes to policing their patrons

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement