Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options
1321322323324325327»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Pacman got into a fight at an airport, looks like its with staff of the airport at some sort, starts off not great for him, but he kicks ass at the end, cant seem to get a link, but its on instagram and will no doubt be on other sources shortly
    Just saw it there, supposedly the staff member was arrested, cops say he instigated and Pacman was only defending himself. Very vague as to how it started though, the staff member made "a gesture"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The employee definitely launched at Jones first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Nice payday for Brandon Cooks.
    $81 million, includes $20.5 million fully guaranteed at signing and $50.5 million in total guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Revis has announced his retirement. Probably the best defensive player of the last 10-15 years in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd take Woodson and Watt as better overall defensive players, but Revis has to be up there with Deion Sanders for best pure cover corner ever... 2009 I think it was, I've never seen anything quite like it. I'd want to look up those stat lines again because he seemed to be playing All Pro after Hall of Famer after All Pro after Hall of Famer after All Pro after Hall of Famer with next to no safety help, and if he gave up 3-4 catches for 40-50 yards it was a bad week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Ya didn't he shut down Calvin Johnson and Andre johnson in back to back weeks one time that's madness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'd take Woodson and Watt as better overall defensive players, but Revis has to be up there with Deion Sanders for best pure cover corner ever... 2009 I think it was, I've never seen anything quite like it. I'd want to look up those stat lines again because he seemed to be playing All Pro after Hall of Famer after All Pro after Hall of Famer after All Pro after Hall of Famer with next to no safety help, and if he gave up 3-4 catches for 40-50 yards it was a bad week.

I'll never understand how Revis didnt get DPOY in '09. An absolute joy to watch

Screen_Shot_2018_07_18_at_21_29_18.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

phatkev wrote: »
    I'll never understand how Revis didnt get DPOY in '09. An absolute joy to watch

Screen_Shot_2018_07_18_at_21_29_18.png

He was targeted 5th MOST out of all cornerbacks in the league too!! A ridiculous year.

It was a stupidly tough call between him and Woodson that year, if I recall it was the last year Woodson's man coverage was up there with the best of them (probably top 5 at a guess) while he was also ridiculous against the run (surely the best CB at it at the time, not named Antoine Winfield) and put up 9 interceptions, 179 yards and three touchdowns returning those, along with another forced 4 fumbles, one more recovered and another two sacks. Really it could have gone to either and not been wrong imo, one of the times it actually made sense to give a joint award, though the only time I can think of that happening was when they wanted to give the Peyton Manning brand a piece of the award for being Peyton Manning.

Revis was the better pure CB, but as an overall defender I'm struggling to think of anyone who could match Woodson in the late 2000s outside of Watt or maybe Ray Lewis. There's a bias there obviously, but I genuinely think if Woodson's entire career was played at that level he would be seen hands down the best DB to ever play the game and one of the absolute top, top, top guys to ever play defense in any position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Billy86 wrote: »
    It was a stupidly tough call between him and Woodson that year, if I recall it was the last year Woodson's man coverage was up there with the best of them (probably top 5 at a guess) while he was also ridiculous against the run (surely the best CB at it at the time, not named Antoine Winfield) and put up 9 interceptions, 179 yards and three touchdowns returning those, along with another forced 4 fumbles, one more recovered and another two sacks. Really it could have gone to either and not been wrong imo, one of the times it actually made sense to give a joint award, though the only time I can think of that happening was when they wanted to give the Peyton Manning brand a piece of the award for being Peyton Manning.

Revis was the better pure CB, but as an overall defender I'm struggling to think of anyone who could match Woodson in the late 2000s outside of Watt or maybe Ray Lewis. There's a bias there obviously, but I genuinely think if Woodson's entire career was played at that level he would be seen hands down the best DB to ever play the game and one of the absolute top, top, top guys to ever play defense in any position.

Ed Reed? :)

I had him in it but ticked him off, my favourite ever safety and one of my probably top 5 favourite players since 2002 when I started watching the league; top 8 definitely. The only reason I would not quite put him up there is because he physically fell off somewhat early, even though remained nothing short of "just f***ing stupid good" at what he did best.

If Ed Reed kept the level of physicality of his first 3 years or so, I don't even want to know how his career would have wound up, the guy was putting up nearly double digit interceptions, returning some for touchdowns, hammering people with hits, returning punts for touchdowns, blocking punts and returning those for touchdowns as well, forcing fumbles, recovering fumbles, returning those fumbles for touchdowns, adding a few sacks and the deep middle was on do-not-even-bother levels - many times even if you had Brady, Manning, McNair or Favre back there. An MVP award would not have shocked me at all. Loved Polamalu to bits as well (and still fantasize about them being on the same team since they couldn't have possibly complimented each other any better) but Reed was unquestionably above him for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

I'd have polamalu a good bit behind reed in fact I'd have Dawkins a good bit above polamalu (although there may be a bit of bias there)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thread Closed as we have reached the post limit. New thread open here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement