Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options
  • 06-03-2015 7:33pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Old thread is over 10K posts.

Please banter away in this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Historic day for this forum surely? Was that the first thread to go over 10k posts in AF history?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yep, Pats one will be next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

yep, Pats one will be next

The Titans one must be close enough Heli...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

What if you have used up all your banter :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The Titans one must be close enough Heli...?

Soon mate soon, I'm like a one man band in there, Dohnny and Higgins pop in to add to the post count

Once we get a bit of success we'll explode :cool:

• Advertisement

What if you have used up all your banter :(

Mock the Bears.. today seems like a good day tbh!

Mock the Bears.. today seems like a good day tbh!

My packers do that all the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

JCTO wrote: »
    Was that the first thread to go over 10k posts in AF history?

If Tebow was still in Denver the Broncos thread would have smashed past 10k posts long ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If Tebow was still in Denver the Broncos thread would have smashed past 10k posts long ago :p

The Broncos Thread and that mad Tebow thread also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I'll predict the Trent Richardson traded to the Colts thread gets to 10k next, slowly, but surely.

• Advertisement

Anybody predicting any landing spots for Harvin? He seems to be on his last legs as a top receiver. Nobody wants to be involved at all, I think he's nearly tailor made for New England at the right price. Kansas could have a look too maybe they'll have a WR Touchdown with him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alphonse mephisto

BANTER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

My packers do that all the time :)

Goddamnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

The New York Jets have finally given Geno Smith an elite wide receiver to miss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Anybody predicting any landing spots for Harvin? He seems to be on his last legs as a top receiver. Nobody wants to be involved at all, I think he's nearly tailor made for New England at the right price. Kansas could have a look too maybe they'll have a WR Touchdown with him :pac:

It'll depend on how much money he thinks he's worth. Personally I don't see him being worth much more than a 5 mill a year deal, that's overpaying for his production last year but his talent is so big that he'll get snapped up. 5 is what I'd be willing to risk unless you've got a lot of cap space and want to front load so that you can release him after a year. I'd love the Eagles to go get him because he could be a great piece in our offence and if we can get someone like him and a number one to replace Maclin I'd be very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

good to see mjd retire he was just damaging himself at this stage awesome runner in his day though

frostie500 wrote: »
    It'll depend on how much money he thinks he's worth. Personally I don't see him being worth much more than a 5 mill a year deal, that's overpaying for his production last year but his talent is so big that he'll get snapped up. 5 is what I'd be willing to risk unless you've got a lot of cap space and want to front load so that you can release him after a year. I'd love the Eagles to go get him because he could be a great piece in our offence and if we can get someone like him and a number one to replace Maclin I'd be very happy

i doubt chip kelly would get rid of shady and desean because they dont just put the head down and work and sign harvin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

nerd69 wrote: »
    i doubt chip kelly would get rid of shady and desean because they dont just put the head down and work and sign harvin
    Most likely not, I'd just like to see us go out and get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

surprised it took so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Raf32 wrote: »

The lad won't take "you're not a good player" for an answer. He's kind of like Rudy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-shooting-orlando-jeep-20150308-story.html
    The deceased driver was identified as Dreekins Oriko Johnson, 28.

The two living victims, Reggie Johnson and Chris Johnson, both 29, were taken to a hospital in stable condition. Reggie Johnson was shot in the shoulder, hand and leg, while Chris Johnson was shot in the shoulder.

jaysus doesn't sound to good

Just coming to post that, seems minor from reports

Just on Suhs deal, part of the reason for taking it is surely the 0% income tax in Florida.

However just reading up there, NFL players will pay tax on the away games (if income tax is charged in the state the game is in)

For example

Lets say Suh is getting 16 million for next season.
    8 million of that is untaxable as 8 home games are in Florida.

NY is 8.82% (Jets and Bills)
    Massachusetts is 5.2% (Patriots)
    Florida/ Jags 0% tax
    Tennessee 6.2% (Titans)
    Pennsylvania 3.2% (Eagles)
    Maryland 5.75% (Redskins)
    California 13.5% (chargers)

So he'll pay $456,000 in tax which equates to about 2.5% across his income for year 1.

Just on Suhs deal, part of the reason for taking it is surely the 0% income tax in Florida.

However just reading up there, NFL players will pay tax on the away games (if income tax is charged in the state the game is in)

I just read that in association with Suh's deal too, and it struck me what a huge competitive advantage it could give some teams. The NFL seems to take competitive balance so seriously, but any Florida-based team essentially has 13% more cap spend than any California-based team every year? (While the other teams are scattered somewhere between these two examples) Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

As a Chargers fan i was thinking we're obviously an unattractive option due to the high tax rate in California but was reading how teams structure contracts to more lump sum payments. These are taxed in the state the player is a resident of which i'm sure is never declared as California

poldebruin wrote: »
    I just read that in association with Suh's deal too, and it struck me what a huge competitive advantage it could give some teams. The NFL seems to take competitive balance so seriously, but any Florida-based team essentially has 13% more cap spend than any California-based team every year? (While the other teams are scattered somewhere between these two examples) Am I missing something?

Basically, if you sign for Jags/Buccs/Fins Vs the Chargers/Raiders/9'ers there's a 13% difference in what you'll take home.

So you can look at it, you can pay a guy 8.7 million and he keeps it all (leaving out the 8 other state taxes for the minute.

Where as the other teams above would have to pay 10 million to the player for the same take home.

Strange that nobody really ever seems to mention this - what is obviously an enormous advantage for some teams over others. I found an article about it at the time the salary cap was first introduced.

1995 the salary cap was $37m!

Chris johnson in hopsital was in a car that was shot up. Driver killed and him and another injured.

Also gore to eagles looks to be done

Matt hasslebeck had his car stolen in Nashville...

Colts Suck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I see scouts at the Jackson State Pro day didn't want to look at any WR with a 40 time slower than 4.5 seconds. Seems weird given that only one receiver was fast enough to be viewed.

For perspective Jerry Rice, greatest receiver of all time, had a '40' time of 4.69. Even guys like Cruz and Fitz wouldn't have been eligible for these scouts to take a second look.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement