Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Christy42 wrote: »
    They picked a public method that involved exactly 0 disruption to anyone else's life.
    I would disagree. It may mean nothing to you or me, but it does to a hell of a lot of people in the US. The flag/anthem means something major to them, and they aren't against the actual topic, they are against the method they are using.

If the players feel so strongly, then march on congress. Actually get involved in politics. Get into positions of power where you can really make a different.

Maybe they would still get some backlash. But nothing like this. And it wouldn't distract from the real issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Maybe they would still get some backlash. But nothing like this. And it wouldn't distract from the real issue.

Indeed.

They would much more easily be ignored completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If the players feel so strongly, then march on congress. Actually get involved in politics. Get into positions of power where you can really make a different.
    I'm not sure if you're familiar much with US politics, but they arrest children who march on progress to protest the fact that the government refuse to go anything about their fellow schoolkids getting shot to death in their classrooms.

This is an accurate depiction of how much US politicians give a sh*t about people who protest Congress. This protest was from heavily disabled people about their healthcare being taken away so that the money could go to the already megarich in the form of tax cuts.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/912381148160020487?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2F2017%2F09%2F25%2Fprotestors-disabilities-graham-cassidy%2F&tfw_creator=mashable&tfw_site=mashable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

They picked a public method that involved exactly 0 disruption to anyone else's life.
    I would disagree. It may mean nothing to you or me, but it does to a hell of a lot of people in the US. The flag/anthem means something major to them, and they aren't against the actual topic, they are against the method they are using.

They are against the topic. The method of protest was very specifically chosen under the advice of veterans to not cause offense. As has been pointed out a hundred times the flag is abused in a hundred different ways regularly and no one cares. This is not even doing that. It is simply making a point. The reasons have been explained to death but again they want to avoid talking about it. Indeed it has been brought by others a hundred different ways. This is actually one of the few ways still being talked about. Indeed has any act

They want to avoid talking about it. That means either they give out about the method used or the protest is in a place they can ignore.

Anyone legitimately offended by someone kneeling has to sort a lot more out in their life. This entire issue is political correctness gone completely mad if they are offended by it as they seem to be offended by the very thing that flag is meant to stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,533 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The fact is that people are talking about the kneeling and whether it is disrespectful it not. The reason they decided to kneel has almost been forgotten so it's clearly not working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

eagle eye wrote: »
    The fact is that people are talking about the kneeling and whether it is disrespectful it not. The reason they decided to kneel has almost been forgotten so it's clearly not working.

Having the right argument is never enough you have to be able to sell it properly.

The protesting the anthem (something Americans take very seriously) was a really foolish way of trying to draw attention to the issue, the exact people who hate the supposed disrespect of the anthem are the people you are trying to reach and it doesn't help when you do something that they find offensive as a form of protest.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're familiar much with US politics
    I am. Used to visit a friend who lived in Washington. I'm not talking about interrupting congress; just a better political way of achieving their aim.

They are against the topic. The method of protest was very specifically chosen under the advice of veterans to not cause offense. As has been pointed out a hundred times the flag is abused in a hundred different ways regularly and no one cares. This is not even doing that. It is simply making a point. The reasons have been explained to death but again they want to avoid talking about it. Indeed it has been brought by others a hundred different ways. This is actually one of the few ways still being talked about. Indeed has any act

They want to avoid talking about it. That means either they give out about the method used or the protest is in a place they can ignore.

Anyone legitimately offended by someone kneeling has to sort a lot more out in their life. This entire issue is political correctness gone completely mad if they are offended by it as they seem to be offended by the very thing that flag is meant to stand for.
    You don't have to convince me about the flag; it's a non issue for me.
    But in the US, it's not that simple. There's a reverence about it there. You can dismiss that. I can dismiss that. But it means something to many.
    This is how I kinda thought it would go right from the start. And the real issue isn't discussed.
    I think Joe Dog sums it up very well. They have a very valid issue to raise, but haven't sold it very well by insulting so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Many of those who are most vocal about being 'insulted' by these protests are the same who throw around terms like 'snowflake' when it suits them. The hypocrisy is quite funny especially when you add in all the other 'disrespect' to the flag/anthem that occurs on a regular basis and they ignore.

Protests aren't meant to make people feel comfortable and I don't believe those who feign to be offended are who they wanted to reach with this protest anyway. Despite the attempts to muddy the waters this protest has brought huge awareness to the topic which is unlikely to be replicated if it took another form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Folks, lets move the protest chat to it's on thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107116012

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Off Season is going so slow... :(

When does the American Alliance League start again? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

The LeBron memes are in overdrive after last night. This one made me chuckle.

Ll1zIFb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

So you’re saying it wasn’t Peyton’s wife who was taking the HGH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/status/1002980668089831425

There's gonna be no one left in the first couple of weeks unless sone sort of leeway is given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

https://twitter.com/NFLFootballOps/status/1002980668089831425

There's gonna be no one left in the first couple of weeks unless sone sort of leeway is given

I don't agree and I think the rule is pretty clear. All the examples they showed was clear examples of guys lowering their heads. Both HS and College have a done a great job to date stamping it out for the most part no reason why the NFL can't do the same.

Granted there will be some a few toeing the line but I have said it before and will say it again there is ways to lower your body and tackle people without lowering your head same with running the ball.

The NFLPA for me will learn a hard lesson here seen as they have almost stamped out tackling in practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats a great change. Should have an immediate impact on concussion numbers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Given how short the space of time between a snap and a tackle usually takes place and usually when it’s in the middle of a group of players will those type of tackles be easy enough to spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Patrick Mahomes and his agent turned down endorsements as he didn't want to be on billboards and advertisements and drawing attention to himself while a rookie backup

Not always about chasing the money so :)
    We talked about how the first year the goal was to integrate into the team, and the only way to do that is to pay deference to the incumbent veterans and try not to go into the situation with a high profile,” Steinberg said.

“We intentionally didn’t do endorsements that would run in the Kansas City area even though they were offered. We didn’t want him to be on billboards and everything when he wasn’t even playing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

RIP Dwight Clark. He of course famous for being one half of "the catch" in NFL lore has died his wife has tweeted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

CNN wrote:
    Trump cancels Philadelphia Eagles visit to the White House

The Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles' White House visit has been canceled due to the controversy over standing for the National Anthem at NFL games, President Donald Trump announced Monday.

"The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow," Trump said in a statement.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/04/politics/trump-eagles-nfl/index.html

---

When I saw it originally I thought it was because he was in a huff still over the result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Dave Gettleman diagnosed with lymphoma. Hopefully will make a swift recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Holy ****. Hopefully they caught it early too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ravens had their last two OTA sessions cancelled, John Harbaugh fined 50k and owner Steve Bisciotti fined 100k. The reason was breaching rules on pass contact

It's not a huge story but anyway this is the third time this has happened Harbaughs team. In 2016 they also lost OTA sessions due to breaching rules on rookies wearing pads. And in 2010 other practice rules were breached
    As I remember in 2010 it was the player union rep who raised it. Rookies are not going to speak up and likely would not even know the rules so the union rep raises it.

I can understand how it gets forgotton and an oversight may happen. You can always assign a graduate intern to monitor. But three times is deliberate, I don't know what Harbaugh is trying to achieve. I don't hear the other 31 teams doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

At three strikes they really need to be looking at removing draft picks or barring him from the sidelines for a few games. On this precisen, it's basically just telling teams they can do as they like with regard to this and face very little in terms consequences even if they're caught three times at it.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I don't know what Harbaugh is trying to achieve.
    And he's blaming the players this time. Great impression for the rookies.

mikemac2 wrote: »

It's not a huge story but anyway this is the third time this has happened Harbaughs team.

If it were a certain someone else or other team the world would end am I right? ESPN and JRG would blow their loads massively :pac:

. But three times is deliberate, I don't know what Harbaugh is trying to achieve. I don't hear the other 31 teams doing this

I love him and hate him at the same time. I think he is a very good coach but I also think he gets muddled up in the grey areas all too often with bending the rules. The whole thing with the Pats that time. Gives out profusely because he didn't know the Pats were within their right and then ends up using the same play. I always wonder does he think he is a master at it also but fails miserably at doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What's the rule on padded OTA's?

Is he basically saying he'd prefer 1 padded OTA than 3 in gym gear?

The money is fairly irrelevant to a NFL team

Shedite27 wrote: »

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules
    Off Season Rules

General
    • Workouts cannot begin prior to the first Monday in April for clubs with a new head coach or the third Monday in April for all other clubs
    • Workouts are strictly voluntary; Club officials cannot indicate workouts are anything other than voluntary
    • Maximum 4 w/o per week (no weekends), with one week being the mandatory minicamp (not permitted on weekends)
    • Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.)
    • Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority.

Phase One | 4 hours a day
    • Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field*
    • 90 minute max on the field
    • Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility
    • Players choose the other 2 hours for weights, etc.

Phase Two | 4 hours a day
    • Three weeks | same rules as phase one apply except:
    • All coaches allowed on the field
    • Individual and “perfect play” drills allowed
    • No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets

Phase Three | 6 hours a day​
    • 4 weeks total
    • 3 weeks for 10 total OTA’s
    • A maximum of 3 OTA’s each week for the first 2 weeks
    • During Weeks 1 & 2 a 4th non OTA workout is allowed but phase two rules apply
    • A maximum of 4 OTA’s for the 3rd or 4th week
    • One week for mini camp
    • No pads except protective knee and elbow pads, helmets are permitted
    • No live contact
    • 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills will be permitted provided no live contact takes place

Minicamp | 10 hours a day
    • Physicals on Monday but no practice
    • Practices Tuesday-Thursday, with a day off on friday
    • Allowed two practices totaling 3 ½ Hours on the field per day
    • Second practice limited to walk through activities only

* Dead Ball Explanation:
    -QBs can throw to receivers with no coverage
    -Kickers and Punters can kick, but players cannot field the ball and no snappers or holders can be involved
    -Long Snappers can snap into a net
    -Defensive players may not catch balls at all regardless of who is throwing them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shedite27 wrote: »

He absolutely is. Repeated offences should obviously be treated more harshly as he is not going to care about this penalty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement