Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Billy86 wrote: »
    Goodwill doing what he does best and being a coward. I think I read woody Johnson will pay them himself (or as a team) but we all know how a lot of owners will go over this. It hardly passed as a rule without their consent on some level.

All 32 owners agreed to it apparently. So seems odd Woody would try save face after the fact given he voted yes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    All 32 owners agreed to it apparently. So seems odd Woody would try save face after the fact given he voted yes to it.

Jed York abstained i think.

Jed York abstained i think.

Yeah it looks like the 49ers did abstain. Some articles are saying all 32 and some are saying a few abstained from the vote. I stand corrected if that is the case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo they should find a better way to protest, a lot of people feel insulted by somebody not standing for the national anthem.
    For once I'm not against a decision by the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I didn't want to bring politics into it, but that's what it boils down to. Curry favour with the easily swayed, incredibly thin skinned and fragile, magnificently corrupt gobsh*te. I expect many owners to get given a few more nice backhanders for their pockets on the back of this. It seems to me an appropriate reaction is to keep my money to myself and hope some others follow suit.

From a PR standpoint, expect the league to try and quietly walk back on this a few years down the line. Which could at this point be shorthanded as "Goodelling"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks like only one abstained
    49ers CEO @JedYork was the only person to not vote for the new anthem policy. He abstained. What kind of weight will that carry with his players. I asked @RSherman_25, who said: "It carries a lot of weight and we respect the hell out of him for it."

— Jim Trotter (@JimTrotter_NFL) May 23, 2018

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

eagle eye wrote: »
    Imo they should find a better way to protest, a lot of people feel insulted by somebody not standing for the national anthem.

Boo hoo.

People who get insulted by something like that and don't get outraged by the actual message the protests were trying to spread don't deserve to have their opinion listened to.

I'm pleased York abstained at least and I like his comment on closing concession stands during the anthem. If it is about respect after all...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Boo hoo.

People who get insulted by something like that and don't get outraged by the actual message the protests were trying to spread don't deserve to have their opinion listened to.

I'm pleased York abstained at least and I like his comment on closing concession stands during the anthem. If it is about respect after all...
    Its textbook free speech, is in adherence with the military flag code, and is in no way disrespectful toward the anthem. This is beyond dispute, it's not at all an issue about respecting the flag/anthem or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Laying the flag out flat across the field, funnily enough, is a violation of the flag code.

• Advertisement

Laying the flag out flat across the field, funnily enough, is a violation of the flag code.

As is this, the defining image of the "respect the flag, don't kneel even though it's in the Flag Code!" brigade.

zzypmujoegofwxs2rukr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

A protest that pleases everyone is hardly a protest.

They have a right to kneel. This is ridiculous.

Edit: Billy nailed it.
    Its textbook free speech, is in adherence with the military flag code, and is in no way disrespectful toward the anthem. This is beyond dispute, it's not at all an issue about respecting the flag/anthem or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

It always seems to be the wrong way to protest.

Honestly I feel like we should be a bit passed being offended by someone kneeling down. Tis PC gone mad getting offended over someone standing or not standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It’s so dumb and I can't get over how purposely ignorant people are being about the protest. Kaepernick used to sit for the National Anthem, which pissed people off so he met with Green Beret and long snapper Nate Boyer and they reached a compromise where he told him to kneel as it wouldn't be disrespectful. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect." I don’t how people so transparently pretend to be offended by the players kneeling because they say it shows disrespect to the troops, when really they just disagree with their cause and just want to shame them. Dumb is that the anthem isn’t for troops only, it’s for all Americans. Dumber, are the people arguing Kaepernick isn’t in the league because he’s not good enough to be a in the league, not even as a 2nd or 3rd string QB. I hate saying dumb because it’s people being purposely ignorant.

Not to mention if you openly and honestly disagreed with their message, it’s completely your right and ok as long as you agree that the basis of the freedom that you claim to love so much is freedom of speech and expression is more important than your feelings. I hate the SJW’s protesting every non-100% PC thing but I respect the fact that’s it’s a minor inconvenience to live in a free society.

The craziest thing of all this, is that the Department of Defense starting paying the NFL to have the players on the field for the anthem in 2009. Before that they stayed in the locker room. Its 100% propaganda but they are too dumb and insular to notice that isn’t the norm in a free society.

Jason Kander said it best: "Patriotism isn't about making everyone stand and salute the flag. Patriotism is about making this a country where everyone wants to".

If the players doing it were white and not black it would be a big deal to the majority of those complaining about people taking a knee.

Living here long enough for some Its Freedom of Speech or Land of the Free until you say something they disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The few NFL games I've gone to, very few people in the stands give a **** about the anthem. Everyone still coming through the gates, getting food and beer, drinking beer, taking a piss, lining up to take a piss, sitting and chatting.

It's a farce of a decision.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Goodwill doing what he does best and being a coward. I think I read woody Johnson will pay them himself (or as a team) but we all know how a lot of owners will go over this. It hardly passed as a rule without their consent on some level.
    TOss Sweep wrote: »

It was Chris Johnson(Jets Chairman) that said he pay any fines incurred by the players. He has been a vocal critic of any potential requirement for the players to stand, so I'd find it hard to believe he agreed to it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm of the opinion that a sizeable majority of American NFL fans, and Americans in general, are against taking a knee during the national anthem. If this is the case then it should not be allowed to happen in the NFL imo. I thinks it's a sensible decision by the NFL.

There are loads of ways to protest and I don't believe that this should be done during the anthem or any other time during an official national ceremony.

• Advertisement

I'm of the opinion that a sizeable majority of American NFL fans, and Americans in general, are against taking a knee during the national anthem. If this is the case then it should not be allowed to happen in the NFL imo. I thinks it's a sensible decision by the NFL.

There are loads of ways to protest and I don't believe that this should be done during the anthem or any other time during an official national ceremony.

I would disagree with your opinion that a sizeable majority disagrees with the kneeling

Fromvert wrote: »
    The few NFL games I've gone to, very few people in the stands give a **** about the anthem. Everyone still coming through the gates, getting food and beer, drinking beer, taking a piss, lining up to take a piss, sitting and chatting.

It's a farce of a decision.

I do agree there is a lot of folk who could care less but during Pats games when the anthem is playing those in their seat or walking up to their seats for the most part all stand remove their hats and respect the anthem from the many games I have been to. Same in Green Bay and a few other stadiums. I would say the vast majority in the stadium give a sh1t about their anthem being played and respect it.

Problem is though its right at that time as the last minute stragglers are entering the stadium and trying to get their refreshments before the game and you do get a lot of them. I always wondered how many of those who do that during the anthem complain about the people kneeling. Those who are pro kneel made the same debate though what about the concession stands.

I agree though so many factors make the decision look absolutely ridiculous

phatkev wrote: »
    It was Chris Johnson(Jets Chairman) that said he pay any fines incurred by the players. He has been a vocal critic of any potential requirement for the players to stand, so I'd find it hard to believe he agreed to it

He did vote for it - said he felt that he had to as it was the result of compromise and discussion amongst the owners.

Sizeable majorities always tend to be on the wrong side of history when it comes to rights of minorities. It doesn't mean you should bow to them. The only time they want the athletes protesting is when they can't see them and can ignore them.

If the NFL didn't want to bring politics into it they should never have so intertwined themselves with either the military or nationalistic showboating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If they're offended, then they should pause for a moment and realise why it is the players are protesting.

It's the perfect time to protest too, the whole point of it is to draw attention and it's a stupid decision and just shows how skewed priorities are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I didn't want to bring politics into it, but that's what it boils down to.
    The issue is, that it is political. Players are bringing politics into sport. I don't think they should, there's other arenas for that, and that's where they should make their voice heard.

But of course it's now political on the other side, with Goodell and the owners. And my guess is that there's been enough of an uproar about the disrespecting of the flag (BS in my opinion, but plenty see it otherwise) to force this. I know someone that didn't watched a game all last year because of the knelling.
    If the NFL didn't want to bring politics into it they should never have so intertwined themselves with either the military or nationalistic showboating.
    100% agree. They took the money and they were very happy to do it. But you see the way it's worked out for the military. OTT reverence for them. A podcast I listen to, once a caller in mentions they have anything to do with the armed forces, it's "thank you for your service" immediately. Yet I heard a cop and a person who volunteered at a fire station call in, and nothing.

I didn't want to bring politics into it, but that's what it boils down to.
    The issue is, that it is political. Players are bringing politics into sport. I don't think they should, there's other arenas for that, and that's where they should make their voice heard.

But of course it's now political on the other side, with Goodell and the owners. And my guess is that there's been enough of an uproar about the disrespecting of the flag (BS in my opinion, but plenty see it otherwise) to force this. I know someone that didn't watched a game all last year because of the knelling.
    100% agree. They took the money and they were very happy to do it. But you see the way it's worked out for the military. OTT reverence for them. A podcast I listen to, once a caller in mentions they have anything to do with the armed forces, it's "thank you for your service" immediately. Yet I heard a cop and a person who volunteered at a fire station call in, and nothing.
    Surely the NFL brought politics into sport by having the players on the field when the anthem is played. Politics was already in sport. The issue is not and has never been about bringing politics into sport. I remember they gave the Superbowl MVP a chance to shout about supporting the troops around the Iraq war.

The issue is about bringing politics that many didn't agree with into the sport.

(Yeah I realise an anthem is in GAA matches as well but that was also for political reasons).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Christy42 wrote: »
    The issue is not and has never been about bringing politics into sport.
    The issue is about bringing politics that many didn't agree with into the sport.

Not sure what you are saying. It is, or it isn't?

The NFL did bring in the political side, for financial gain.
    Players are bringing in political matters, obviously trying to highlight an issue. Doing it via the anthem/flag, is just p!ssing off a lot of people. The protest has been discussed more than than actual issue as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Jets Owner Chris Johnson:
    “I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said. “If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players. Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”

That is the most reasonable response to the issue. No Jet player knelled last year and i bet you no Jets player will kneel next year because their Owner although disagrees with their method of protest, he backs his player's rights to freedom of speech and expression and that will resonate as respect.

Then you have Trump on Fox saying that if players don't stand for the anthem, maybe they shouldn't be in the country. What a fcuking a$$hat! Anybody that still supports that clown and believes in freedom, needs a lobotomy for the sake of America...unfortunately that is a lot of lobotomys and most of the people who need them, voted against free health care, so we are sh1t out of luck.

• Advertisement

The issue is not and has never been about bringing politics into sport.

Not sure what you are saying. It is, or it isn't?

The NFL did bring in the political side, for financial gain.
    Players are bringing in political matters, obviously trying to highlight an issue. Doing it via the anthem/flag, is just p!ssing off a lot of people. The protest has been discussed more than than actual issue as a result.
    Badly worded. I meant that they did not bring politics into it as politics was already there. No matter what they did at that point was political. They just brought a different opinion than other people have but to say they brought in politics is unfair as they were in arena were they were already political.

Imagine you are put into political debates on a talk show for years and then one day you start expressing an opinion and people give out for bringing in politics. The politics was already there, you just had a different opinion.

Honestly people were never going to talk about the issue. They picked a public method that involved exactly 0 disruption to anyone else's life. No violence. No traffic delays. No one was ever going to talk about this as no matter what it will always be listed as the wrong way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement