Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

No Jared Goff amongst the list??

Think its a strange one but each to their own. I fear that Dak Prescott might be a break too and if so 2019 could be a very strange season in Cowboys Nation..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

brinty wrote: »
    No Jared Goff amongst the list??

Think its a strange one but each to their own. I fear that Dak Prescott might be a break too and if so 2019 could be a very strange season in Cowboys Nation..

now that you mention it thats a pretty glaring omission, but then they he might be in the "sure thing" category.

Dak is interesting for sure, no witten and Dez (even with less performance) but a healthy Elliot is really needed. Gonna be an interesting time in the NFC east for sure

now that you mention it thats a pretty glaring omission, but then they he might be in the "sure thing" category.

Dak is interesting for sure, no witten and Dez (even with less performance) but a healthy Elliot is really needed. Gonna be an interesting time in the NFC east for sure

yea i thought something like that re Goff, but if he's a sure thing surely then Wentz is too?? and that's coming from a cowboys fan...

Think the NFC east is always intriguing but think maybe cowboys are going well if the Patriots can win without a star RB and WR then maybe we could do it without a star WR.. I also expect Zeke to be more involved in the receiving game this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They might have included Wentz but not Goff due to Wentz having a big injury that they're looking to pain into a question mark? It would be dumb, but it's the only reason I could think of.

Really want to see Mariota make it, he clearly wasn't at the races last year but his first two seasons I thought he was quality his first two years and really entertaining to watch. Assuming the Jets let Bridgewater go, I could see him being a really good fit on a one year deal for the Jags who have over $40mn in cap space. I'm skeptical that Bortles is going to progress beyond the serviceable starter he was this year so there's no harm in having someone who might battle him for the spot with otherwise spare money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I see Suh is enjoying a few days in Dublin as he's been posting about it on Twitter. He was at the Guinness factory yesterday.

He's also been working out at what I think is the Irish Rugby team's gym as I see the IRFU logo on some of the equipment. Anyone know if that's the gym at the Aviva or elsewhere - UCD maybe? He was taking some penalties/conversions too but it didnt recognise where he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Suh was the backup kicker in Detroit and Miami

I seem to remember a video of him nailing a few attempts in training camp. I've no doubt he'd be handy at conversions

When he was asked to do in a regular season game unfortunately he missed

mikemac2 wrote:
    Suh was the backup kicker in Detroit and Miami

I seem to remember a video of him nailing a few attempts in training camp. I've no doubt he'd be handy at conversions

When he was asked to do in a regular season game unfortunately he missed

He's no Jeff Heath

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think they put wentz on that list because as you say he had the big injury and all that.

It's going to be a strange training camp for the Eagles for a couple of reasons. The first is being super bowl champs which an Eagles team has never had to deal with before. It's an unknown. You'd have to assume that Wentz if healthy is the night one starter against the Falcons, but he didn't technically win the super bowl. He got the team a good lot of the way but not to the summit. I think Wentz would have won it all last season just due to his nutty talent, but until he does it himself I think it'll hang over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I see Suh is enjoying a few days in Dublin as he's been posting about it on Twitter. He was at the Guinness factory yesterday.

He's also been working out at what I think is the Irish Rugby team's gym as I see the IRFU logo on some of the equipment. Anyone know if that's the gym at the Aviva or elsewhere - UCD maybe? He was taking some penalties/conversions too but it didnt recognise where he was.
    Nearly certain that was UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hopefully he's got guns to match his father

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/1015251857051041792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Seems like we have a long way to go to truly understand CTE:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/toronto-researchers-find-cte-in-brain-of-patient-with-no-concussion-history-1.3308916
    TORONTO -- Researchers at Toronto Western Hospital's Canadian Concussion Centre have discovered the presence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy in the brain of a deceased patient with no known history of concussions.

They say it's the first known case of its kind.

The case study was published in the International Journal of Pathology and Research and presented at the centre's annual symposium on concussion research.

The finding resulted from an autopsy examining the brain of a patient with a seven-year history of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, known as ALS, and motor neuron disease.

The patient's family said he had no history of head trauma or any participation in activities associated with risk of concussion.

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, is a neurodegenerative brain disorder that has been linked to multiple concussions.

"The finding of CTE in an individual who not only had no known head trauma, but also showed no signs of dementia or cognitive impairment and was high functioning mentally until his death, highlights that the cause of CTE might be more complex than we assume," Dr. Lili-Naz Hazrati, a neuropathologist with the research team who conducted the autopsy, said in a release.

Previously, researchers have only seen CTE in the brains of people with a history of brain injury or multiple concussions, Hazrati said.

"We are not questioning that a relationship may exist between repetitive head trauma and brain degeneration," she said. "But, at this point in time, we have more questions than answers about the definitive causes of CTE, and findings like these give us new directions to pursue and investigate."

Dr. Charles Tator, director of the concussion centre and co-author of the study, said it was an "interesting development" that would help provide more understanding of the disease.

"As researchers, we need to go where the evidence takes us, and it now seems possible that CTE affects a wider range of people," he said.

"The more we know about this disease, the more likely we'll be able to figure out how to treat it and perhaps eventually prevent it."

According to the concussion centre, brain autopsies of cases where individuals reported suffering multiple concussions have yielded a wide range of results, including no neuropathological changes in the brain, presence of CTE alone, presence of CTE and another neurodegenerative disease, or a non-CTE neurodegenerative disease only.

"Obviously brain trauma and repetitive brain trauma can result in cognitive impairment and possibly contribute to a neurodegenerative disease," said Hazrati.

"But since we've seen cases of brains that experienced multiple concussions but don't have CTE, and now a brain with CTE but absence of any head trauma, there is indication that we should be cautious about labelling trauma as the only possible cause of CTE because it looks to be more complicated than that."

CTE has been found in the brains of multiple former athletes. The National Football League and National Hockey League were sued by former players who suffered concussions and other head injuries. The NFL settled for US$1 billion, while the suit against the NHL is pending. The CFL has also been named in a class-action lawsuit over concussions and brain trauma.

Brandon Browner keeping it classy in his personal life

https://985thesportshub.com/2018/07/09/brandon-browner-arrested-felony-charges/
    Police in La Verne, Calif. arrested former New England Patriots cornerback Brandon Browner on Sunday after responding to a call at the house of an unnamed victim, believed to be his ex-girlfriend who filed a restraining order against him.

According to a news release from the La Verne Police Department, Browner allegedly physically harmed and threatened to kill the victim before she fled her residence. Browner also allegedly broke in to the home through a locked window and stole a Rolex watch worth approx. $20,000 before fleeing the scene prior to police arriving.

According to records from the L.A. County Sheriff's department, Browner is being held at L.A. Men's Central Jail on a total bail of $10 million. He was brought in on felony charges, which according to NBC Los Angeles include kidnapping, burglary, and false imprisonment, in addition to violating his restraining order.

Browner, 33, last played in the NFL in 2015 with the New Orleans Saints. He won a Super Bowl championship with the Patriots in 2014, starting nine games at corner and breaking up seven passes with one interception. Browner played a major role in Malcolm Butler's Super Bowl-saving interception, delivering a key block that sprung Butler free on the play. He also played from 2011-13 with the Seattle Seahawks.

Since the end of his NFL career, Browner has also had several serious run-ins with the law. He was arrested on domestic battery charges back in May and was arrested three other times since May 2017, on charges ranging from cocaine possession to threats of violence to violating his probation.

Another ex-Patriot. What a bunch of thugs!

Another ex-Patriot. What a bunch of thugs!

All coming out lately. Next we will find out Tom Brady is some sort of criminal mastermind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    All coming out lately. Next we will find out Tom Brady is some sort of criminal mastermind.

He currently walks the streets of Boston deflating footballs and kids bike tyres. The bastard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Posting this as I find it interesting, not that I agree with everything in it.
    The ill-conceived new anthem policy has played right into the hands of a President who, as his latest rally rant showed, will continue to ridicule and demonize the NFL to rile up his followers. A little Irish history offers a lesson in how the league could—and surely won’t—fight back

Trump Has Made the NFL His Punching Bag. The League’s Best Response Is Defiance

I may have to start watching this show - this is a funny read: The Most Jay Cutler Thing That Jay Cutler Did on ‘Very Cavallari’: Week 1

Some choice extracts:
    You wanna know how Jay Cutler is spending his retirement? Let’s go to Kristin for an update: “His latest thing is he watches deer cams?” she perplexedly says to her best friend, before trying to explain further. “It’s like live feeds of deer eating out of a deer feeder, not even on our property.”
    Over a nice dinner, Kristin asks Jay what he plans to do in retirement, and Jay responds, “I’m not really looking to do a lot of work right now. I’m looking to do the exact opposite of that.”

Those 21 words are the most fitting words Jay Cutler has ever said.
    Minutes later, Jay Cutler texts his wife, despite being just rooms away from her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is the most Cutler play of all time...

I love Jay Cutler.

• Advertisement

I may have to start watching this show - this is a funny read:

Makes two of us. As my previous post states Love the guy.

LeSean McCoy finding himself in hot water re: domestic abuse. As far as (currently baseless) allegations go, it's fairly explosive.

Beating a woman? Check.
    Beating a child? Check.
    Beating a dog? Check.
    Using steroids? Check.

Allegations and pictures here (potentially NSFW): https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDh3nfgKyx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=djqw5sc1p3ox

Shady's response here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDrodGBN6v/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=5ncu4ztyr5fa

The Bills are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JaMarcus wrote:

If it's the Bills investigating they will most likely find nothing.
    If the NFL investigates then he may be facing a minimum four game ban. He doesn't have to have done anything for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

eagle eye wrote: »
    If it's the Bills investigating they will most likely find nothing.
    If the NFL investigates then he may be facing a minimum four game ban. He doesn't have to have done anything for that to happen.

Tbf the nfl tend to wait until the police investigation is finished before they begin their own. McCoy could well be retired at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And even if the NFL find out he did do it, if there's no video evidence just slap on a two week ban and minor fine and we're good to go.

The one thing that strikes me as odd is that it's an extensive list of allegations over when seems to be a long period of time yet I don't recall ever hearing a peep out of anyone about him in the past that would even hint at that, even after he left the Eagles (e.g. not a teammate any longer so easier to spill the beans on/talk about for anyone who found him, uuhh... shady). But I'd rather wait for more evidence in either direction come out before jumping to any conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

After the whole Foster situation, where the accusation was found to be complete lies, I would have hoped people would hold off speculating until at least a bit more information than an instagram post came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Foxtrol wrote: »
    After the whole Foster situation, where the accusation was found to be complete lies, I would have hoped people would hold off speculating until at least a bit more information than an instagram post came out.

It doesn't matter to the NFL. Zeke got 6 games sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Guffy wrote: »
    It doesn't matter to the NFL. Zeke got 6 games sure

I'm not going down the Zeke rabbit hole again, it all boils down to what you deem as burden of proof. In hindsight it would have probably been better for him if they tried to prosecute him like they did Foster. All the facts would have been aired in court and the complainant risk perjury.

Pacman got into a fight at an airport, looks like its with staff of the airport at some sort, starts off not great for him, but he kicks ass at the end, cant seem to get a link, but its on instagram and will no doubt be on other sources shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

LeSean McCoy finding himself in hot water re: domestic abuse. As far as (currently baseless) allegations go, it's fairly explosive.

Beating a woman? Check.
    Beating a child? Check.
    Beating a dog? Check.
    Using steroids? Check.

Allegations and pictures here (potentially NSFW): https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDh3nfgKyx/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=djqw5sc1p3ox

Shady's response here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDrodGBN6v/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=5ncu4ztyr5fa

It's case of go big or go home form shady as far as allegations are concerned.

I really have never and will never fully understand(yes I know there is the poor background/hangers on element) how some grown adults who are well known and celebrities to varying degrees can one do such stupid things in the off season either of their own accord or put themselves in compromising situations.

I mean the case in Tampa bay with Winston. The bucs have done everything to help that kid after the stuff at Florida state and the crab legs carry on, you'd think that at some point the message would get through to not do or put yourself in situations that could be problematic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement